Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest: Progression Server Preview

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

SOE is winding back the EverQuest clock with their new progression server. Here, players can start again and move forward with the slightly sped up evolution of this classic.

My biggest gamer regret is that I never had the chance to play EverQuest. I remember picking it up once, years ago, and scoffing when I read the package. Who would pay a monthly fee to play a game? Oh, how wrong I was.

Luckily, the EverQuest team is giving gamers another chance to play EverQuest. Starting sometime in late June, the EverQuest progression server will be opening up. Today I spoke with EverQuest lead designer Travis McGeathy about the progression server, as well as some other updates coming to the regular EverQuest.

To read, click here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I'm looking forward to the progression server.  I am a little worried about the newest EQ expansion, however.  Seems they are following along with the trend of making their mmo "easy" on players, making it more casual friendly and accessable to everyone.

If there was one mmorpg out of them all that I figured would remain "old school" and leave the tedium in, it was EQ.  For some players, the tedious gameplay features are just a part of the game, and some of us think it makes it better, gives it character.

I think most players would rather see the changes that EQ will be making in the next expansion, but I am a little disappointed.  I really hope Sigil doesn't buckles and start changing their game "easier" as well.

I am currently looking to a guild to join for the progession server.  I know that this will be mainly a guild-oriented server, as each one tried to unlock the next expansion content.  I like mmos that require grouping (not force it - there's a difference). 

• DarkHawk04DarkHawk04 Member Posts: 3

I am really looking forward to the new Progression server. I've been playing EQ for a long time: Since just after Shards of Luclin was released. But I miss the old school zones and gear. There is so MUCH overwhelmingly good gear in the new expansions, that things that used to be considered good are now considered junk. I mean the level of the gear available now is.. well, ridiculous. It is no wonder they have to keep coming out with increasingly harder zones in new expansions. Creatures that were once considered difficult, are now being powered through by over twinked players.

My guild mates are also looking forward to the new server. It is goign to give us a chance to reform, with some old members and some people new to EverQuest itself. It will give us a chance to try out new classes and races. We currently play on Firiona Vie server, the Role play server, and that server does not allow for alts, unless you want to pay for another account. The new guild we are looking to form on the progression server is likely to be an RP guild.

One thing that I am curious about, is if certain races and class that were relased with expansions that came out later will be included in the progression server. You know hwat I am talking aobut: Vah Shir, Iksar and Froglocks for races and Berzerkers and Beastlords for classes. Will these be playable on the progression server? Also, will the tutorial be around? and such usefull things as the find button? I know something I always hated about EQ was the running around in a city for who knows how long, trying to find an NPC for a quest.. or even trying to find my class trainer... Will things like this be included? Also, will thre be a market (bazaar) included on the server? Or will we be back to sitting in the tunnel between East Commonlands and North Ro /auction WTS Polished Bone Bracelet, 50PP PST! for hours on end trying to sell our treasures for coin?

In responce to Tymora's comment about Tedium: you;ve got to be kidding me? Tedium giving a game character? ugh I cannot stand waiting around for hours trying to camp a mob to get that elusive rare drop... only to have to log without it and to start again the next day. Disgusting. I'd rather to a corpse run...

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    According to the what the devs have said on the official boards, new classes and races will be unlocked with the expansions they came in. That is, no Iksars til Kunark, no beastlords or VAh Shir til Luclin, no Frogloks til LoY, and no zerkers til GoD.

Sucks for the zerkers, imo.

The changes to the game mechanics and UI will be staying in. I think the bazaar won't open til Luclin, so it is back to EC or Gfay or wherever the trading ends up going on.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• AaronDictorAaronDictor Member Posts: 4
    I wish they would make a pre luclin server.  I'd go back in an instant if that were the case. up to velious was great.  bazaar and pok are so fail. they sucked the fun right out of the game.
  • MisterJawMisterJaw Member Posts: 49

I'm right there with ya AaronDictor.  I'd love an EQ server that only went to Velious and possibly added the Legacy of Ykesha and/or Luclin (with a retooled, longer Nexus port ability - to keep caster ports desirable) on yet another server.

According to the press release, this is going to be PvE only, not "PvP only," as the article reports.  Here is my source: http://www.soepress.com/release.asp?i=16

BTW - about a third of the way into the article, there appears to be a bit of text missing.

• DarkHawk04DarkHawk04 Member Posts: 3

Ok, so this is what is confusing me. How can a class or race be unlocked, if each new char starts at the original game? Or are they unlockign by account, and not character? In which case, someone who wanted to say, play an Iksar Berzerker, would have to start on another char, work up to that point where they have unlocked.. what was it, Legacy that introduced the Berzerkers and then start all over again to play the class they want? *frowns* seems a bit absurd, to me.

I'd hoped to be able to play a Vah Shir Beastlord.. looks like I'll be going with my second choice, an Erudite Necromancer, instead. I don;t have the mind set to leel a character jsut to unlock the expansion that has the class/race I want, only to start all over.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Originally posted by DarkHawk04

I am really looking forward to the new Progression server. I've been playing EQ for a long time: Since just after Shards of Luclin was released. But I miss the old school zones and gear. There is so MUCH overwhelmingly good gear in the new expansions, that things that used to be considered good are now considered junk. I mean the level of the gear available now is.. well, ridiculous. It is no wonder they have to keep coming out with increasingly harder zones in new expansions. Creatures that were once considered difficult, are now being powered through by over twinked players.
    My guild mates are also looking forward to the new server. It is goign to give us a chance to reform, with some old members and some people new to EverQuest itself. It will give us a chance to try out new classes and races. We currently play on Firiona Vie server, the Role play server, and that server does not allow for alts, unless you want to pay for another account. The new guild we are looking to form on the progression server is likely to be an RP guild.

One thing that I am curious about, is if certain races and class that were relased with expansions that came out later will be included in the progression server. You know hwat I am talking aobut: Vah Shir, Iksar and Froglocks for races and Berzerkers and Beastlords for classes. Will these be playable on the progression server? Also, will the tutorial be around? and such usefull things as the find button? I know something I always hated about EQ was the running around in a city for who knows how long, trying to find an NPC for a quest.. or even trying to find my class trainer... Will things like this be included? Also, will thre be a market (bazaar) included on the server? Or will we be back to sitting in the tunnel between East Commonlands and North Ro /auction WTS Polished Bone Bracelet, 50PP PST! for hours on end trying to sell our treasures for coin?

In responce to Tymora's comment about Tedium: you;ve got to be kidding me? Tedium giving a game character? ugh I cannot stand waiting around for hours trying to camp a mob to get that elusive rare drop... only to have to log without it and to start again the next day. Disgusting. I'd rather to a corpse run...

I'm guessing that the find function will still be there...from what the devs have said, they're keeping the good gameplay changes and taking out the area/class/item changes.  No spellbook staring, but also no Planes.  I think it's great, the perfect mix :)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• powersurgedpowersurged Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by AaronDictor
    I wish they would make a pre luclin server.  I'd go back in an instant if that were the case. up to velious was great.  bazaar and pok are so fail. they sucked the fun right out of the game.

Agreed. EQ went down hill for me when luclin came out. Pre Luclin IMO had a nice balance of grouping and raiding. Now its raid raid raid.
  • rich0077rich0077 Member Posts: 5

agree with above.

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

Ill fill you in there buddy---- your posting on a 1.5 year old thread --there your filled in

So your gripes have come about three years late--but hey ,better late than never i guess

• rich0077rich0077 Member Posts: 5

heh thanks i posted on the wrong thread and moved it to a live one.