Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scam?

Can someone please explain the scam that happend in RYL?

Ta.

-
Do not hate it, but instead embrace the diversity.

Comments

• sunflamesunflame Member UncommonPosts: 181

Originally posted by GrimReapez

Can someone please explain the scam that happend in RYL?
    Ta.

Im not familiar with the exact details - so lets just say this: PWG said (a year+ ago) that they are making a contest and the winner would win a  1 million US dollar price (they said it very close to the time they went from OB to P2P) - after a while they made a contest server and soon after it was open - it got closed (they claimed that the reason they closed it is because ppl were cheating and that they wouldnt reopen it - and accourding to their "own" TOS they never promised to make the contest and they have every right to close it if they wish....). so besically they tried to get a lot more players data base by promising them 1 million price contest and in the end - there was nothing.
    Im not sure it is a scam - but some ppl claim it is - some ppl claim that PWG never had any intentions in actually making the contest and announce a winner...

sunflame.

• Sou|Sou| Member Posts: 43

i will simplify it to you,so its more easy to understand

they say a image is worth than more than 1000 words
    i wasent the artist behind this work of art,but it explains alot :)

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/6215/xfactorandryl9yh2ze8ou.jpg

luv X

Originally posted by Sou|

i will simplify it to you,so its more easy to understand

they say a image is worth than more than 1000 words
    i wasent the artist behind this work of art,but it explains alot :)

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/6215/xfactorandryl9yh2ze8ou.jpg

luv X

LOL - why didnt i come up with this.... its a lot easier to expalin it like this then my post....
  • spafonspafon Member UncommonPosts: 54

PWG sponsored an online $1mil Tounement as part of it's promotion.  A group of players figured out a way to cheat and fame-farm each other and ruined the tournement.  Pwg was forced to closed the tourney to prevent the group of cheaters from stealing all the prizes.  Period.  No scam except on the part of cheating players.

• Sou|Sou| Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by spafon

PWG sponsored an online $1mil Tounement as part of it's promotion.  A group of players figured out a way to cheat and fame-farm each other and ruined the tournement.  Pwg was forced to closed the tourney to prevent the group of cheaters from stealing all the prizes.  Period.  No sam except on the part of cheating players.

you win at the internets

PWG sponsored an online $1mil Tounement as part of it's promotion.  A group of players figured out a way to cheat and fame-farm each other and ruined the tournement.  Pwg was forced to closed the tourney to prevent the group of cheaters from stealing all the prizes.  Period.  No sam except on the part of cheating players.

Thats 1 way of looking @ things (they could have always tried again and make it better... but they didnt) - but anyway the op post asked about what ppl call "scam" and thats the story - didnt matter if its true or false (or maybe has some things we dont about).

oh and..... u can lose the caps - it doesnt help any1.

sunflame.

I really love these people who used to play, months ago, and profess to know what is going on ingame now.

• SackynutSackynut Member Posts: 558
    well also, theres no way they could have come up with 1,000,000$, so either way no one was gonna win it. but that would explain why at the top of the game during game-play it says "Tip: using a bug in the game for personal gain will result in a permanemt ban without warning."

• hussienhussien Member Posts: 15

PWG sponsored an online $1mil Tounement as part of it's promotion.  A group of players figured out a way to cheat and fame-farm each other and ruined the tournement.  Pwg was forced to closed the tourney to prevent the group of cheaters from stealing all the prizes.  Period.  No scam except on the part of cheating players.

PWG knew there were bugs in the game, that players could exploit. PWG made absolutely no effort to prepare the game for tournament play. They said it was a skill-based tournament. Great play with words. It turned out to be just like the P2P servers: immense grind with items dominating the outcome of a battle. If anybody had half a brain, they would see the tournament as a scheme to lure in more players and thats it. Now, I'm sure PWG originally planned on naming a winner and paying out the one million dollars, but definitely under different circumstances. They were probably convinced that since nobody else has done a one million dollar tournament, that that cold hard fact would drive millions of players to POTE. And just incase it didn't happen, they included in they're Terms of Service that they could shut-down the tournament whenever they feel like it. Only word comes to mind: incompetence.

Fairyland Online
    IGN::hussien lvl 42 blademan

Risk Your Life
    IGN::hussien lvl 19 gunner
    IGN::.SIN. lvl 9 rune-off

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

this is the long winded offical story i found.

the $1mill event was set that each month about 10 people would be picked from that months top fame player board. to be entered in to the next teir of the event. which would wrap up at E3 where the last 10 would fight it out to win the money.

but like all games where real skill is needed players cheated and exploited game coding to boost them selfs. they would get top ranking then let their friends farm the fame off them there by boosting their own friends to the top ranks unfairly which bascily made it pointless platying with the top 10 players cheated to get top 10.

now any event where you can win real items always ALWAYS has people who cheat and complain.

well what basiclly happened was as PWG couldnt let the event continue with people cheating so badly and they couldnt fix that code as the game's pvp would be messed up other wise they had to shut the event down. i know for a fact atleast 2 months worth of top famers cheated.

and if they had left it running people would have complained and whined cause so and so cheated and the person whinning should have won.. and yada yada yada

• _Soneca__Soneca_ Member Posts: 23

PWG made the tourney and never had the money to pay and cancelled it

Everyone who made a tourney of 1 million dollar know some ppl will try take davantage of it! But the tourney server was a empty server because they never knew how to make a good tourney even ofering 1 million dollar

They expected LOTS of ppl coming to the game, but there was so many bugs and problems, class unbalanced etc

• th0rmentth0rment Member Posts: 2
    Yes soneca thats right , their never had the money for the grand prize. And we know that tourney server was a crap, unfortunately some fools fall for that one, now they whine cause they feel cheated.

Originally posted by Sackynut
    .... that would explain why at the top of the game during game-play it says "Tip: using a bug in the game for personal gain will result in a permanemt ban without warning."

As for that one. really only FEW ppl got banned permanently in PotE. The vast majority of ppl that abused quests, and pvp glitches, never got any punishment or like 1 day ban .... so we are talking about empty words.

Thats my offtopic 2c.