Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.COM News: Editorial: MMO Advertising

2»

Comments

• dasichridasichri Member Posts: 2

I dont care about advertising in games.

If that means I can play the game for free, or for a reduced fee, then by all means, advertise.

So long as the spirit of the game is not interfered with.

I played the free anarchy online, advertising and all, It did not bother me enough to not want to play the game anymore.

These advertisers just need to remember, dont interfere with the spirit of the game, I play the game to have fun, I dont watch TV much anymore because you'll watch a show for a few minutes, be bombarded by comercials, then watch a few more minutes.

No, that just takes away from my fun, my enjoyment that I seek to have in my  spare time.

So, so long as the advertising in mmogs do not interfere with the game, as long as it makes sense, as long as my mind stays in the game, and not on the real world products, then I dont care.

I dont want pop ups, I dont even want ads as different areas are loading.

When I first start the game, sure, you can have a few ads then, I dont care. You can have your bill boards in the game for ads, I dont  care, dont put billboards everywhere though because then thats taking away from the game.

I can somewhat understand it though if it was say, a busy city you were going into (in a sci-fi or "present time" kind of game) there could be more ads then normal. Example being, whenever you go to major parts of a city, there is more advertising.

Bottom line is, ads can be in games so long as the spirit of the game is not interfered with.

• bickertonbickerton Member Posts: 7

Just because advertisments are everywhere, doesn't mean it is a good thing, or something to just give in to.  Everyday our senses are assaulted, attacked from all sides to sway us into buying products we don't need, my god if there is a collective unconcious it is probably a mall by now.

I can imagine i'll be flamed for this, but sod it.

And for people who think it has no real impact ask yourselves why billions are spent on it each year.

'If you work in advertising , kill yourself, seriously, i'm not kidding.' -Bill Hicks

• dasichridasichri Member Posts: 2

Me personally, advertising does not affect me.

You may think, yes it does, you just dont know it, well, seriously, it doesnt for me.

I buy what I want, not what they tell me.

Do I buy expensive clothes that are expensive just because its a brand like nike or whatever? No actually, I dont.

I drink whatever soda pop I want, I eat whatever I feel like eating.

So advertising doesnt affect me, so I couldnt care if they have it in mmogs. So long as the spirit of the game is not ruined.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by Adardowen
    Here in Canada, it's over $20 a month for just about every MMORPG out there right now. I?

What part of Canada do you live in? The exchange rate is at all time highs, its cheaper than ever here ;)

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• bickertonbickerton Member Posts: 7

dasichri,

it probably seemed it, but my post wasn't aimed at you, it just happened to be after your post.

It was my general rant cause it is something i feel strongly about.

And yes i am of the idea that advertising even effects people on an unconcious level, even though we don't want it too. But that is just a generalised view, i don't know u at all, so i wouldnt presume to have a clue image

When i say advertising, i also mean it is an arm of the corparate media which i feel has far too much impact on the way we live, think and feel, with certain mediums being bastardised and twisted so they are primarily vehicles to sell products to the masses, their original purpose totally subverted or secondary. Sadly, i hope i am wrong in this, but regular adverts in game seem like one step closer. (i'm sure looking at S.O.E, u can easy argue that its already at or beyond that point).

Hopefully i am wrong in this, won't be the first time image