Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.COM News: Reader's Choice Awards

Comments

• ChaimeraChaimera Member Posts: 6

EVE Online > All for pvp. image

Very easy choice.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Just wanted to add, that for the best Story category, FFXI should have been in there, WAY above SWG. I mean the biggest part of FFXI is the huge Storyline done via Missions. No other game comes close in that area like this one.

Also, under PVP, no World of Warcraft? I mean its where I learned how to PVP for the most part and I'd rather play WoW PVP over guildwars.

But that's just me. Also, the most anticipated game list should be narrowed down to a specific time frame, since I chose Star Trek but that's like 2 years away. If it had been in a year's timespan, Lord of the Rings would have been my choice. Since that will be coming out very soon.

• BronxChuloBronxChulo Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by Gynthazi

Originally posted by BronxChulo
    Dark and Light should not even be on the list of "Most Anticipated".  I was one to get a Pioneer key and also one to get my money back.  This game is a total joke and I don't see how in the world they are going to pull this game off to be released.  DnL will be pushed back once again, and again after that.

You are not the only person dissapointed, but that doesn't mean it's not one of the most anticipated. The activity on their boards alone shows that DnL is one of the most anticipated i've seen so far (I was one of those people looking forward to this, and still am even if it might take another 8 months to get out).

So read the topic, "most anticipated" not "what one BronxChulo will like the most".

Um....  have you looked at the list on the front page.  DnL has dropped from #1 to I think #27 in a matter of less than 2 weeks.  Why they would put it on the list when they could see clearly that DnL had dropped big time.  Heck, they even noted in their weekly newsletter about how fast DnL dropped on the list.
  • kanae69kanae69 Member Posts: 2

Not sure if this has been mentioned but as a pvp fan you seriously missed out here by not including eve-online

well I read most of the thread now and I see many agree.....

EVE brings a "real" feel to pvp that I have not seen in a very long time.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Don't let anyone bother you Dana, it was a great group of choices, and someone is always going to feel left out. Those people who actually get upset about it are people who you should disregard just on principle. You just can't take video games so seriously, and when people do take them too seriously, it's a real red flag on someone who should probably more likely be going in to therapy rather than playing online games.

That having been said, I thought EQ2 deserved a spot on the most fun game of the year list. I had a lot of fun playing WoW so I voted for it, but I had more fun playing EQ2 for sure.

Good choices overall I would say and the format is great.image

• MazhurgMazhurg Member CommonPosts: 5

Hi,

Instead of trying to pick (out of a dark place) nominations for best "categories"in games, why not do it this way:

Once a month, a rolling (public) score is taken; similar to your game ratings, but with each of the category scorable by all of us unwashed masses. Then, once the time comes for the best of year awards, offer the 5 or 6 that reached the highest score at some point in the year in each categories. (in case of match; all similar scored items presented).

Might not be the answer to all, but it would ensure that players relevant choices are presented and not some back room advertisers.

• StedfastStedfast Member Posts: 101
    Great job , nice poll looking forward to seeing the results. Would like to have seen Fall Earth in future games categoryimage.  But then again, I was glad to have seen Star Trek thereimage.
  • FirebyrdFirebyrd Member Posts: 2

Why isnt Eve in the PvP Catagory?.... The entire Game is Based on PvP, now i am biased since i have not played any of the others, but doesnt leave out the fact that Eve should be in that catagory, since its PvP is almost in its purest form

• damadmaxdamadmax Member Posts: 1

if i see 12 games for voting.....

... why cant i vote in every category for every game?

maybe that some games do not support all features showed up by this poll....but ???? swg has NO story. eve HAS pve , pvp and a great story. i think much more story and surrounding information than all other listed games together. but thats the hack with eve: no quick-jump-in-fun....you need to play it a bit longer than the trialperiod

• G_TBG_TB Member Posts: 7

Most anticipated games is a joke,THE most anticipated pvp orientated mmorp, darkfall isn't even on it and yes Eve should be in the lore and pvp section as well.

Reality is the illusion that arises by lack of alcohol!

• MMO_MunkMMO_Munk Member Posts: 299

image Thanks for quick response, i edited my post.

I think this is a great way to let the gamers speak up. Congrads to all the companies nominated, for this award, I say type this biting my tongue $OE you know what you have done. But nevermind my ranting. Good Luck to all =p

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by MMO_Munk
    I Believe EVE ONLINE has the best PvP out of all the games. Yet they WERENT EVEN A SELECTION?
    But in any case, I think this is a great way to let the gamers speak up. Congrads to all the companies nominated, for this award, I say type this biting my tongue $OE you know what you have done. But nevermind my ranting. Good Luck to all =p

Please read the site before posting. There has been a secondary announcement regarding this issue.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• nooeybnooeyb Member Posts: 5

Best PvP: Again, overwhelming write-in support for EVE Online has brought us to the decision that we should have included it. As such, a run-off will be held in this category as well.

Nice one ::::02::

---------------------------------------------
    But sir...we're on our own planet...

Twist those knobs!
    Pull them levers!!

• ThantanosThantanos Member Posts: 40

Nice poll, but I just think that Guild Wars should have a spot on the best graphics. Many reviewers agreed that the graphics in the game were very nice.

• knightknifeknightknife Member Posts: 384

Wow, I am surprised they did not nominate Roma Victor for most anticipated.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Often I feel drawn to vote for the "less bad", but it was nicely done guys!  image

It is not your fault if I am negative or that the games are really that bad, is it?

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• Ceej7921Ceej7921 Member Posts: 2

EVE Online needs a spot in the PvP category! Tell me what other game has massive fleet battles, the option to be a pirate, and dedicated PvP alliances that fight hundreds or thousands of human opponents?

EVE ftw!

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

I'll agree with EVE needing to be in the PvP choice list, even though I'm still a carebear miner. EVE is the only MMO I've ever seen that has real strategic PvP combat, not just clicking buttons and having skills or equipment, but knowing what kinds of ships to use in a fleet, and trying to organize them into groups like an actual field battle. As someone else mentioned, the potential loss is just like the old-school text muds, expensive ships and equipment which can be looted, and possibly implants and skills if you're killed.

If I had to take somone out of the PvP category, I guess I'd remove City of Villains. PvP in that game is limited to base raids and three specific zones. Those zones auto-adjust your levels so all people are the same level, which eliminates ganking, but also removes the concept of strategic battles. I liked CoV, but it's not a distinct enough game from City of Heroes for me to keep up my subscription.

I like the idea of a drop menu. I also like the idea of an earlier semi-finals type of voting.

As for Dark and Light.... it deserves a place as a candidate for the most anticipated game. I certainly was drooling over it, and managed to hit the submit button within the 80 seconds it took for 10,000 free keys to evaporate. If they have enough venture capital to get their game up to snuff next year, I'll applaud... but from what I've seen so far, I'm not holding my breath.

• soltysplsoltyspl Member UncommonPosts: 58

Well, the last year was kinda ... sour ... in mmorpg realm..

Few remarks:

- it's really hard to call GW a mmorpg; the same remark regarding DDO and possiby - Conan

- I'd love to see "worst of" categories.

- as pretty much every game on the market is boring grind simulator - categories like "most pro-farmed game", "most botted/cheated game", "most boring game" would be welcome

- where are the categories like best/worst: customer support, community management, game maintenenace, game improvement since the release day

- most anticipated game left me with rather piftul choice. From what was there presented, I chose lesser evil in my case. You also forgot about Darkfall Online - the only game not based on mindless grind in development.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DStuff

• sebparksebpark Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by soltyspl
    Well, the last year was kinda ... sour ... in mmorpg realm..Few remarks:- it's really hard to call GW a mmorpg; the same remark regarding DDO and possiby - Conan- I'd love to see "worst of" categories. - as pretty much every game on the market is boring grind simulator - categories like "most pro-farmed game", "most botted/cheated game", "most boring game" would be welcome- where are the categories like best/worst: customer support, community management, game maintenenace, game improvement since the release day- most anticipated game left me with rather piftul choice. From what was there presented, I chose lesser evil in my case. You also forgot about Darkfall Online - the only game not based on mindless grind in development.

Response:

-First one was statesd multiple times within the voting process.

- ME TOO!

- eh no thanks.

-Didn't you just say that the last 2 lines?

-Thats been stated too...

• isiaisia Member Posts: 18

A second post on this thread just for new catagories, because other people had some good ideas.

Should have "best design concept".   This is where you might be able to slip in some of the lesser known games, or DAOC's rvr,  or WoW's auction system, or GW's instanced combat, or CoH's character design. or whatever else, without being a fan boi for the whole package. 

Should certainly have "worst customer service".  When games have widely varying design budgets and objectives, I hate slamming their work, they did what they could do.   But once they start taking your money there are standards.   When customer service is notoriously boneheaded for an otherwise popular game (hmm, WoW anyone?) it would give us a chance to tell them.   Otherwise I don't want negative catagories.     

Since Questing is such a big part of the game design, there should be a Best Quest Design.  Would incorporate storyline and how the quest integrates with the rest of the game.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

A few more responses:

Personally, I do not like the idea of "negative awards". Perhaps in a different feature, but even then, I think not winning is sign enough that your game needs improvement. There is no need to hold a public face slapping contest.

And please, stop with the EVE for PvP posts and read the feature. It is going to get its chance to win the category!! :)

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• hicks26hicks26 Member Posts: 142

EVE was my choice for PVP, I have done it a few times in the Live server and a lot on the test server. Nothing gets the blood pumping as much as that, and I have PvP in WoW and other games as well. EVE to me just has more tatics involved than being a high level warrior etc.

In saying that I shall give you a demo, I had 3.5 mil Skill points in EVE, the other bloke had 25mil, and I beat his ship in a 1v1 Battleship fight. It's how you kit them out, as I said, Tatics. Most games are just charge and duke it out. Nothing beats a game where you have to have your ranges set and even more to be able to win a fight.

Also, what do you class as PvE ? Again, EVE, if you have to mine say in 0.0 space, you have to deal with NPC ships and even things like gas clouds if your mining certain minerals. Also in complexes, you have turrets that will fire on you, being part of the environment.

HQ - Aedald VIII - Moon 5 - Republic Military School
    Office - Lustrevik III - Moon 2 - Quafe Company
    Warehouse

• DarkHuntressDarkHuntress Member Posts: 8

I vote for EVE Online in every cataogry where it is nominated.

I play several games online but I find Eve to be the most entertaining, complex, beautifully rendered and fun game out there currently.

CCP is doing a good job with EVE. Their customer support is solid and their concern about their customers (by keeping them well informed) is probably the best in the industry.

I hope CCP releases another MMORPG. They seem to be very good at this.

• Ceej7921Ceej7921 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Lepidus
    A few more responses:Personally, I do not like the idea of "negative awards". Perhaps in a different feature, but even then, I think not winning is sign enough that your game needs improvement. There is no need to hold a public face slapping contest.And please, stop with the EVE for PvP posts and read the feature. It is going to get its chance to win the category!! :)

ty for your consideration :), just wanted to keep up the pressure