Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun MMORPG?

Hey im looking for a good mmorpg, i just want to get a lil fun y`know, i dont want to waste my life pretending im actually living the game. Just want it to be fun, no grinding rollercoaster (one of the reasons I hate EverQuest), and to have a decent population with good community.
Theres no sense playing a game just to be sup3r h4x0r uber god character. Why waste 1000 hours? I want to have fun since the beggining.

Comments

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Originally posted by Darkmastersh
    Hey im looking for a good mmorpg, i just want to get a lil fun y`know, i dont want to waste my life pretending im actually living the game. Just want it to be fun, no grinding rollercoaster (one of the reasons I hate EverQuest), and to have a decent population with good community.
    Theres no sense playing a game just to be sup3r h4x0r uber god character. Why waste 1000 hours? I want to have fun since the beggining.

Honestly as much as people hate to admit it, I think World of Warcraft is the #1 game for having fun from the start. The only reason I even played WoW for a few months is BECAUSE of how well they had the learning curve. It started simple, then got more complex as you went on. I wish other people would follow a similar strategy and just make a good game ::::15::

As for grind, I honestly think WoW has a very intuitive way of putting grind to you. As in, they make you go out on like 4 different quests in the same area so you dont notice, and youre also busy looking for leather, minerals, herbs, whatever. So all-in-all, they really made a good overall experience. They masked the boredom factor atleast.

• cookiemonstacookiemonsta Member Posts: 31

What your asking sort of comes with the MMO package for most games, but really most general chat can be pretty fun and if you don't feel like grinding or questing there's usually something to do. Trust me once you start playing WoW you'll get addicted (I didn't really understand what everyone was talking about until I bought the game... /quitlife) if your new to this then I would definitely suggest WoW, in my opinion EQ2's interface was annoying (but then again my friend doesn't get custom addons that make it look perty), SWG just got changed so it was more accessible to newcomers (WoW>SWG). Other than that I could suggest GW (Guild Wars) there's no subscription fee, level cap is 20 (you can also choose to start at 20 and go straight to PvP), PvP is basically the entire game and it's pretty fun to fight in large groups against people from other countries, most notably Korea, and some of the battles just get absolutely insane. In fact your making me want to install it more and more by the second, dangit...

• DarkmastershDarkmastersh Member Posts: 205

Im not new to the genre, Ive been playing for a couple of years (ok, a lil more ::::01::).
    Ultima Online had great community and feels like a classic RPG, but it isnt as great as it was (ninjas? samurai? elves?!?!?!?!?! WTF!)
    Anarchy Onlie is a pretty cool game, very fun indeed, but i think its time to play something else.
    EverQuest............man that game SUX, its heaven for D&D geeks. Playing lv20+ is so ***** difficult, you need to invest a lot of time..then you realize youve been wasting your life, but you keep playing "gotta....reach..level....60...."

• trillahtrillah Member CommonPosts: 158

If you never tried it and like the universe, Star Wars might be a good game, I know there's a lot of negativity around it lately but I reactivated my account after being away for 1 year and frankly, I love it so much I cant stop playing :)

Just dont read the forums over at soe ,download the trial, see it for yourself.

• RedRabRedRab Member UncommonPosts: 280

Agree that WoW is probably going to suit for the reasons others have given. Also you could play some demos first. A lot of MMORPGs are offering 14 day trials at the moment. If you don't want to pay there is Anarchy Online which is free, but may be too grindy for you. Also this is in open beta at the moment and is kinda fun. Reminds me of early DAoC with a bit of Lineage II thrown in, but without the heavy grind.

It's at: http://www.ferentus.com/

“Hustlers of the world, there is one mark you cannot beat: the mark inside.”
    William S. Burroughs

• SimplyBlueSimplyBlue Member Posts: 2

I just cancelled my subscription with Blizzard a couple days back after playing it for a whole year. WoW is definitely fun from levels 1-59 but once you hit 60, get ready to do insane amount of runs on the same instance over and over again just to get a certain piece of loot. If you want to do more difficult end-game content, give anything from 3-6 hours of your time to run those instances. Most professions are fun and almost everyone of them will make you cash in some way or the other. You could hold out for new servers that Blizzard might put out, that ways you will be at par with most of the population but expect to see characters who hit 60 in a week just because they've signed up for a power-levelling service. The expansion for WoW won't come out till next year but they are and will be adding new content during that time. As for PvP, there is barely any World PvP except when you run into the opposing faction while questing or going to an instance. Most of the PvP happens in the Battlegrounds which definitely give you good equipment provided your are crazy enough to invest 3-6 hours everyday trying to get reputation. That is the state of things as of this point, but there are a few changes being made with the next patch.

Currently, I think you can purchase WoW for $20 after rebates from their website. Also, they have a 10-day trial too. Check it out, its definitely fun but don't expect it to be as much fun at the endgame levels.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

Guild Wars might be for you.

It takes about 20-25 hours total to get to max level. (20)

There's almost no grind in it and it keeps moving right along. Now that the initial rush of gamers is past the community is decent, still not great but ok, and it's a lot of fun. It's about on par with WoW for challenge.

The PvP is a lot of fun and it's free of monthly charges. I've put it down a lot for a week and then I'll go back in and play some PvP.

It doesn't have the depth of character or PvE challenge the the other games have at High level but the PvP is pretty good.

Asdar

• ssstupidossstupido Member Posts: 253
    city of heroes is very fun. and you dont need to invest much time to enjoy it.