Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC - worth it to start new char?

I played the demo for a bit (really my first time with an MMO) and wasn't impressed, it was a bit slow, but now that I'm a bit more accustomed to MMO's (through WoW) I'm looking for another MMO to play, I just can't stand the age that WoW looks like it was made for. I've also been looking at EVE Online and am currently downloading the trial client. My main question here is that if I buy the original DAoC, will I be a bit lonely as a newbie character in the game? What level do you have to get to (and average time to get to that level) to start fighting in RvR or whatever the PvP mode is where you fight over outposts?

Comments

• moleculemolecule Member Posts: 48

You can start fighting in the RvR battlegrounds pretty much right away. I think DAoC is definitely the best fantasy MMO on the market today... there's a lot of variety and depth.

I would recommend starting on Gareth if you are worried about population. There's usually a couple thousand playing during primetime, so no worries. Since the server is relatively new and there is no magical /level command that allows players with level 50 characters to skip the first 20 levels (like on the regular servers), there are plenty of low level characters still running about.

I would also recommend trying to find a decent guild to play in who would be willing to show you the ropes. Just enjoy the game and realize that you won't learn it all in a day and you probably won't stick with your first character. Just play, have fun, learn and then you'll be ready for RvR in the Frontiers.

Don't get me wrong, DAoC isn't perfect, but neither is any other MMO on the market today (or tomorrow for that matter).

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

You probably want to get the Epic edition of DAOC.  It includes all expansions through Catacombs.  The latest expansion is for higher levels, so you won't need that for a while.

You can RvR in the battlegrounds from the earliest levels, however, some tiers are notoriously empty.  I'm not an RvRer so things might have changed lately.  It used to be that the level 20 battlegrounds were the most active as that's the time when classes have most of the class-defining powers. 

• cookiemonstacookiemonsta Member Posts: 31

Thank you for your answer! Just a few more questions... Is the majority of the playerbase mature/older? (one of the reasons I'm dropping WoW) I'm assuming RvR is instanced...(correct me if I'm wrong), but exactly how large is the combat, how many players or how large is the battlefield, and does it affect the realms/worlds a lot?

• yourmom12192yourmom12192 Member Posts: 221

Since u have played WoW, which i hate too, u might have played battlegrounds. If not battlegrounds (if i remember corectly) had about 50 vs 50 maybe a little more or less. Thsi on the other hand, during peak times, the RvR has like 500+ for like the lvl 20's and stuff. Which is really tight. The lengnth of battlegrounds is realativelty nice. It does effect the realms cuz u take over the places. And the player base might have a few 13-15 yr olds but that is not that bad.

Hope that helps a little image

Cheers

• cookiemonstacookiemonsta Member Posts: 31

Thanks for your help guys!

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

honestly... ive been thinking of picking DAoC back up again.. and I think you just convinced me ::::03::

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

I recently left SWG due to the fiasco that is SOE and LucasArts (ungh!!!!!!!! pick a freaking engine and STICK TO IT YOU LOONS!!!)

I have tried EVE both in beta, shortly after release, and for about 2 months just this past summer.
    I played DAOC in beta, for 1 and a half years from release day to when I moved to various betas. I recently have come back to DAOC myself with a NEW account on a NEW server (starting from scratch)...

I have to say that DAOC is by far more fun than I found EVE to be. Try both free trials, find out for yourself which suits your playstyle more. But after the 14 days if one of them appeals more stick with it.

Starting out as a new player in DAOC it is best to start on a *classic* server. There are 3 of them. I play on Gareth and when I started I was nervous about it feeling 'empty' as well. But the server is very well populated (2500+ players online at peak) and it's very well populated and the new player areas are VERY well populated. One of the nice things about the 'classic' servers is that they cater more to the CASUAL players since they don't have TOA on them. Also since they don't have the /level command the vets can't just create level 20 alts so you'll see them out and about leveling up 'alts' and playing them in the Battlegrounds.

On the NORMAL servers it DOES feel ***very*** empty until you reach level 20+. Then it's not too bad.

Personally I just enjoy the features of the classic servers more than the normal ones. The players are generally more 'casual' players because TOA isn't on the server. TOA was an expansion that added TONS of RAID content, we're talking 12+ hour raids here, and it really alienated huge numbers of casual players in DAOC. Thus the classic servers were stood up.

Both games have free trials. I highly recommend playing both trials and deciding for yourself. Personally I found EVE boring. Some don't. I can see why people love it but the things that make it boring for me make the game not worth the money. DAOC has been, for the past 2 weeks now, the absolute MOST fun I have *ever* had playing an MMORPG... (and I've played dozens of them). It's funny... if SOE and LucasArts hadn't screwed up SWG I probably never would have given DAOC a try again... I'm almost thankful that they did because if I hadn't tried it myself I would never have believed how good DAOC has become over the years. It's truely one of the few MMORPG's that I feel has lived up to it's potential.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas