Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

60-70$ for nex gen games, Raise in price = fall of game industry??

2»

Comments

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by sidebuster

If they don't, then they will find people flocking to PC games which are $10.00 cheaper than a console game.

I dout that.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Gunblade
    Originally posted by En1Gma
    This isn't natural for video games...at least in the U.S.Ever since the NES, games had always been 49.95. XBOX is literally the first to mark their games at 60 bucks a piece. There are a few PC games that are like this (such as Doom 3, Halflife 2, etc) but nowhere near the amount as XBOX.Honestly? Its a Bill Gates thing. I guarantee you if PS3 came out first, xbox would not have done it for 60 bucks.HOWEVERBill Gates knows people will buy a game for 60 bucks. And it will be those people who buy the games for 60 bucks that will set the trend for 60 dollar games from now on. I guarantee you, Sony will be looking at their sales carefully. If a mass of people do buy xbox games for 60 bucks then I bet you anything, the PS3 will follow.But, it's a Bill Gates thing. He knows people will buy the games for that much. Hey, he's gotta make a profit somehow. Loosing 250 bucks for every xbox360 sold, Microsoft has to figure out someway to jab it to the little folk.

Do you really think Billy boy, decides such a thing. I would say he might have to approve of it for MS games. But other wise it is a pricing group, a team of people (not sure of their name) that decides. It is also influenced by what publishers of other X360 games are doing, for they know the market the best.

I am not suprised, when the N64 released they were 60 bucks a cartridge in Target.

When the X360 gets cheaper I will get one other wise I have no need at this point and time especially with the price of college and other things these days I can not be such a consumer whore when it comes to gaming >_<" But no doubt about It I will have one eventually, I can't help it.

I agree that Billy does not even probably think about the pricing aspect of any video game titles. Talk about your micro (no pun intended) manager. Billy is most likely locked away in some room on his island with his partner Pinky trying to figure out what they are going to do tonight.

I think game stores are in the same predicament that movie theatre's are in. A very small percentage of ticket sales even touches the theatre company's hands, yet the prices keep going up. I think it is the same thing with companies like GameStop and BestBuy, they do not have a big say in the prices they offer, it it decided (as said above by someone else) by a group of people who watch the market very careful to insure, not the best price to offer, but more to figure out the most money they can make.

I do not think that pricing changes up or down will shift a majority of game players to one side or the other. People stick with what they are most comfortable playing. I started getting into gaming back with Might and Magic 1&2 on the Comodore 64, that is all I knew and games were pretty cheap. Then came Nintendo...I fell in love with that and moved away from the computer and games became more expensive. When the PlayStation came out, I did not switch from Nintendo because I was not comfortable with the controller and games were about the same price. A couple years have passed since then and I have moved back into the realm of the MMORPG/CORPGS (Guild Wars) and have not looked back at the consoles once, and both are relatively similar in pricing. Again I dont see people switching the playing based on price as much as what they are comfortable with at the time.

As consoles become increasingly powerful and useful for items beyond games, it will be interesting to see the overall effect of the gaming industry as a whole.

Enjoy your games.....no matter where you play them. ::::28::

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

If they don't, then they will find people flocking to PC games which are $10.00 cheaper than a console game.

I dout that.

Why not? There are a lot of people that want to get the cheapest product. If you see a game selling

for 60 dollars and the same game selling for 50 dollars, then you are going to get the cheaper one

and save that 10 dollars. I mean sure there are people who will buy a game at any price, but most

people want to be carefull with how they spend their money.

• Mikesta707Mikesta707 Member Posts: 338

I'm going to go and make the assumption that they are going to see how many people pre-order games that are going to cost $59.99. If they get a significant drop in sales, then they will quickly switch back. If they don't, then they will find people flocking to PC games which are $10.00 cheaper than a console game.
    You guys have to understand that a console game no matter how hard you try to argue will always be behind on PCs. The reason easily is that PCs are NOT gaming consoles. They are a piece of equipment that lets you do just about anything you want. Consoles will never achive this. There for some one will always be making games for PCs since people will always be using them for school, work, research and anything else they can do besides play games.
    On a last note, Mikesta707, I don't know how they say GigaBytes in the UK or where ever your from, but it is not gegs or gegts. Unless of course that is another fancy pants british word.
    On a side side note, En1gma you suck :P j/k. What I mean by that is last I remember games being 60 dollars ever are N64 (Nintendo 64) games.

yea first off im from America, and just because your an idiotic, think your leet, perfectionist that thinks that if people dont say what you think is right they are wrong, doesnt mean that sayings gegs is much different from saying gigabyte. Everyone else here got it, so stop whining about it because people are... omg... different and say ... omg ... different things. Ever heard of a dialect idiot. Some people say different things. Like pop and soda. Just because i wanna say gegs doesnt mean that i am wrong.

Now that thats out of the way:

I definately know that consoles will always be behind pcs because of the need for them at this point in time. What i am saying is that i think pc's will loose at least part of their pc game sales from casual gamers b/c it is becoming a "hassle", for lack of a better word, to upgrade your pc just to play the newest games, where alot of them are on consoles and just as good.

Am I ever wrong??

• maxdomaxdo Member Posts: 284

i will buy games untill they hit the 80+ mark (with out tax)

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Mikesta707

I'm going to go and make the assumption that they are going to see how many people pre-order games that are going to cost $59.99. If they get a significant drop in sales, then they will quickly switch back. If they don't, then they will find people flocking to PC games which are $10.00 cheaper than a console game.
    You guys have to understand that a console game no matter how hard you try to argue will always be behind on PCs. The reason easily is that PCs are NOT gaming consoles. They are a piece of equipment that lets you do just about anything you want. Consoles will never achive this. There for some one will always be making games for PCs since people will always be using them for school, work, research and anything else they can do besides play games.
    On a last note, Mikesta707, I don't know how they say GigaBytes in the UK or where ever your from, but it is not gegs or gegts. Unless of course that is another fancy pants british word.
    On a side side note, En1gma you suck :P j/k. What I mean by that is last I remember games being 60 dollars ever are N64 (Nintendo 64) games.

yea first off im from America, and just because your an idiotic, think your leet, perfectionist that thinks that if people dont say what you think is right they are wrong, doesnt mean that sayings gegs is much different from saying gigabyte. Everyone else here got it, so stop whining about it because people are... omg... different and say ... omg ... different things. Ever heard of a dialect idiot. Some people say different things. Like pop and soda. Just because i wanna say gegs doesnt mean that i am wrong.

I definately know that consoles will always be behind pcs because of the need for them at this point in time. What i am saying is that i think pc's will loose at least part of their pc game sales from casual gamers b/c it is becoming a "hassle", for lack of a better word, to upgrade your pc just to play the newest games, where alot of them are on consoles and just as good.

but if the games are 60 dollars doesnt that mean we wont pre order any more.

i mean seriously there is the 5 or 10 dollar fee to pre order something. plus 60 dollars.

i dont think there will be any more pre orders wit a price increase. sure you will have those very very few nuts. but i doubt there will be much else....

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

Originally posted by Vergeltung
    Originally posted by Mikesta707 Originally posted by sidebusterI'm going to go and make the assumption that they are going to see how many people pre-order games that are going to cost $59.99. If they get a significant drop in sales, then they will quickly switch back. If they don't, then they will find people flocking to PC games which are $10.00 cheaper than a console game.You guys have to understand that a console game no matter how hard you try to argue will always be behind on PCs. The reason easily is that PCs are NOT gaming consoles. They are a piece of equipment that lets you do just about anything you want. Consoles will never achive this. There for some one will always be making games for PCs since people will always be using them for school, work, research and anything else they can do besides play games.On a last note, Mikesta707, I don't know how they say GigaBytes in the UK or where ever your from, but it is not gegs or gegts. Unless of course that is another fancy pants british word.On a side side note, En1gma you suck :P j/k. What I mean by that is last I remember games being 60 dollars ever are N64 (Nintendo 64) games.yea first off im from America, and just because your an idiotic, think your leet, perfectionist that thinks that if people dont say what you think is right they are wrong, doesnt mean that sayings gegs is much different from saying gigabyte. Everyone else here got it, so stop whining about it because people are... omg... different and say ... omg ... different things. Ever heard of a dialect idiot. Some people say different things. Like pop and soda. Just because i wanna say gegs doesnt mean that i am wrong.
    I definately know that consoles will always be behind pcs because of the need for them at this point in time. What i am saying is that i think pc's will loose at least part of their pc game sales from casual gamers b/c it is becoming a "hassle", for lack of a better word, to upgrade your pc just to play the newest games, where alot of them are on consoles and just as good.but if the games are 60 dollars doesnt that mean we wont pre order any more.
    i mean seriously there is the 5 or 10 dollar fee to pre order something. plus 60 dollars.
    i dont think there will be any more pre orders wit a price increase. sure you will have those very very few nuts. but i doubt there will be much else....

Yea there probably will be a decrease in pre orders, but remember, not everyone pre-orders games. Also, i dont really get wat u r trying to say with the pre orer thing.

Am I ever wrong??

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Is that what they call it over there? Sorry if I came off as an ass... because I did on purpose hAHAHA! image but really, is that what they (as in the community of geeks) call it were your from?

Originally posted by Mikesta707 Originally posted by sidebusterI'm going to go and make the assumption that they are going to see how many people pre-order games that are going to cost $59.99. If they get a significant drop in sales, then they will quickly switch back. If they don't, then they will find people flocking to PC games which are $10.00 cheaper than a console game.You guys have to understand that a console game no matter how hard you try to argue will always be behind on PCs. The reason easily is that PCs are NOT gaming consoles. They are a piece of equipment that lets you do just about anything you want. Consoles will never achive this. There for some one will always be making games for PCs since people will always be using them for school, work, research and anything else they can do besides play games.On a last note, Mikesta707, I don't know how they say GigaBytes in the UK or where ever your from, but it is not gegs or gegts. Unless of course that is another fancy pants british word.On a side side note, En1gma you suck :P j/k. What I mean by that is last I remember games being 60 dollars ever are N64 (Nintendo 64) games.yea first off im from America, and just because your an idiotic, think your leet, perfectionist that thinks that if people dont say what you think is right they are wrong, doesnt mean that sayings gegs is much different from saying gigabyte. Everyone else here got it, so stop whining about it because people are... omg... different and say ... omg ... different things. Ever heard of a dialect idiot. Some people say different things. Like pop and soda. Just because i wanna say gegs doesnt mean that i am wrong.
    I definately know that consoles will always be behind pcs because of the need for them at this point in time. What i am saying is that i think pc's will loose at least part of their pc game sales from casual gamers b/c it is becoming a "hassle", for lack of a better word, to upgrade your pc just to play the newest games, where alot of them are on consoles and just as good.Is that what they call it over there? Sorry if I came off as an ass... because I did on purpose hAHAHA! image but really, is that what they (as in the community of geeks) call it where your from?

uh i dont really know. I dont write about gigabytes much to my friends. i just wrote gegs, b/c it is the easiest way to write it.. besides i guess gb but who writes that? no one thats who... Srry about yelling at you, its just that i was being like classified into something just b/c i said gegs, and i hate being classified. being classified is for conformists

Am I ever wrong??

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Higher quality of games means higher pay. I dont buy to many games I just make sure to get good ones that I can always come back to. Im not worried about an extra 10-20 dollars as long as they are good games.

Hey i was wondering. you think the rise in prices for games could relate to the price rise in gas. B/C the trucks that transport the games have to travel a relatively wrong way, and it costs more now to get them there. And with this stacked with the higher price for producing games, this could be part of the problem. I think that we need to find a new energy alterenative personally.

Am I ever wrong??

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Hey i was wondering. you think the rise in prices for games could relate to the price rise in gas. B/C the trucks that transport the games have to travel a relatively wrong way, and it costs more now to get them there. And with this stacked with the higher price for producing games, this could be part of the problem. I think that we need to find a new energy alterenative personally.

i dont even now how to respond to that.......

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Peoples spend more time in their games than they used to.

Peoples are usually ready to pay an amount according to the time they spent in the game assuming the quality is there.

Would I pay $300 for a new game I know nothing about?  No.  Would I pay $60 every 2 months, possibly, but the game would need to have no major aspect bothering me (I am not merely talking of raiding and PvP, but about a score of details).

The concept of the monthly fee is not bad, but a no-monthly fee and a box per 2 months of play and a progression in the game, more zones and everything, $60 every two month, yeah, I can see myself paying that.  A lot of design would be needed in order to make sure the new players just buy the most recent box and don't feel shafted in anyway, but still want to buy the older eventually.  Many levels caps, gear cap, many TOPs would be part of this.  The amount of work needed is tremendous, I am not sure any company would dare risk it.

A slight increase is nothing to be scarred about, you always gets what you pay for or less, so raising the maximum potential of games is a good idea for gamers.  As long as the game quality follow up.

I find it very strange that this industry see very little variation.  Playing soccer or playing golfs doesn't cost a similar amount.  When you start playing golf, you don't need to pay that much money.  When you play golf seriously, you gear yourself up.  If you are an addicted fan of golf, you pay airplanes ticket to access some place to play.  A different but similar approach could be tried.  It depend if the market is ready for it.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by Anofalye

A slight increase is nothing to be scarred about, you always gets what you pay for or less, so raising the maximum potential of games is a good idea for gamers. As long as the game quality follow up.

I find it very strange that this industry see very little variation. Playing soccer or playing golfs doesn't cost a similar amount. When you start playing golf, you don't need to pay that much money. When you play golf seriously, you gear yourself up. If you are an addicted fan of golf, you pay airplanes ticket to access some place to play. A different but similar approach could be tried. It depend if the market is ready for it.

You are right about that. Games will increase in quality (graphically at least, just be/c of the shear amount of content that can be added that wasnt possible b4. I am definately not disputing that. However, i still think that as the game price increases, that casual gamers will keep buying less and less games till they buy like 1 a year andf then 0 a year. I think that with this price rise, gaming may become a semi-profitable fad rather than a lucrative bussiness.

Am I ever wrong??

• lex-icon82lex-icon82 Member Posts: 232

the prices on videogames are ridiculous, I've long stopped buying games from stores, I get all my stuff from ebay when it comes to consoles..

on the PC the only thing I pay for are the mmorpgs.. for the other games... well.. ::::18::::

Have played:
    UO, WOW, COH/V, EQ2
    Currently playing:
    Age of Conan (EU)

• RapajRapaj Member Posts: 17

Don't complain.

Here in Canada, prices for games have been 60-70+ for years. And the exchange rate is negligable.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Casual gamers who have a computer are relatively richs.

They have a computer who cost them about $2000 (for a casual gamer, a computer is $2k period, no arguing or no nothing).

Considering they buy a new computer every 2-4 year and they do it for GAMES, they will buy less games yes, but they will buy games as well, and most of them rather buy quality for the short amount of time they have, so higher quality and prices is not only acceptable, but it is what the casuals want.

It is the hardcore gamers that will buy less games, since with all that time on computer they are already poorer than the casuals in general and they want to play LOT of games, hardcores will be crying.

I don't think that every game price will increase, but it is due for an increase of some game.

You can still find games at $20, at $40 and at $60.  It is only logical to find games at $80 as well.  Big companies are likely to release the same game at different prices and cut a part of those costing less.

I am looking forward to more games, more prices and more quality...and I will just ignore the games I don't want myself and buy those that make me drool.  Poor folks may complain, but more games of quality is good for them to, even if they are denied access for sometimes, prices often goes down, peoples give freely a game they finish to friends and so on...gamers in general want to see more price variation.

The $60 consensus is pretty much like if we had communist preventing free market.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by Rapaj
    Don't complain.Here in Canada, prices for games have been 60-70+ for years. And the exchange rate is negligable.

are you talking 60 - 70 canadian or 60 70 american b/c there is a big dif. American money cost more so like 70 can is like 50 us. or around there (im probbly wrong but there not the same in value nonetheless).
    Also, no ones whining but you. i am saying, and you are a prime example. of how the rise in price for gaming in general will eventually cause the gaming idustry to fail

Am I ever wrong??

• RapajRapaj Member Posts: 17
    Erm....

70 American is like, 65 Canadian.
    Because "somebody" asshumped your economy. The Canadian dollar is almost equal the American one.

Originally posted by Anofalye
    Casual gamers who have a computer are relatively richs.

They have a computer who cost them about $2000 (for a casual gamer, a computer is $2k period, no arguing or no nothing).

Considering they buy a new computer every 2-4 year and they do it for GAMES, they will buy less games yes, but they will buy games as well, and most of them rather buy quality for the short amount of time they have, so higher quality and prices is not only acceptable, but it is what the casuals want.

It is the hardcore gamers that will buy less games, since with all that time on computer they are already poorer than the casuals in general and they want to play LOT of games, hardcores will be crying.

I don't think that every game price will increase, but it is due for an increase of some game.

You can still find games at $20, at $40 and at $60. It is only logical to find games at $80 as well. Big companies are likely to release the same game at different prices and cut a part of those costing less.

I am looking forward to more games, more prices and more quality...and I will just ignore the games I don't want myself and buy those that make me drool. Poor folks may complain, but more games of quality is good for them to, even if they are denied access for sometimes, prices often goes down, peoples give freely a game they finish to friends and so on...gamers in general want to see more price variation.

The $60 consensus is pretty much like if we had communist preventing free market.

WAT!!?!?!. no just no. Casual gamers DEFINATELY DO NOT spend 2000 dollars on their computers. Not all casual gamers are rich. Most arent. Dont generalize the gaming fans. Some are rich some are poor. There is definately no disputing that. hardcore gamers are called hardcore because they spend hundeds of dollars and gaming gear (PC, zboards or w/e u call them, the games themselves, other crap you dont even need) Casuals are called casuals because they still play, but not as much, and they dont spend as much money. I can see a casual gamer spending, hmm at most 1000 - 1500 if they are rich. Hardcores will be on the gaming bandwagon (or is it off, i dont kno) for ever (or for ever long the gaming industry lasts) they wont care wat it costs to game. they just want to game. You may be looking forward to higher prices, but i, and about 294823947892476237492374923747483742749 billion people arent. I am looking for better quality (and not just graphic wise) and yes, i am pretty sure all the games for the next gen consoles are eoing to increase by 10 dollars. 60 will probably be the standard, where 70 dollars is for like CE games, and wat not. So, while i respect your opinion, i think you are totally wrong. but i may have misread wat u r trying to say so.. you never kno

Am I ever wrong??

Originally posted by Rapaj
    Erm....70 American is like, 65 Canadian.Because "somebody" asshumped your economy. The Canadian dollar is almost equal the American one.

OMFG wat, dam bush, he crapped all over our economy with his crap war. Now the Canadians are getting equal to our dollar. The CANADIANS!! i mean, come on ( no offense canadians, we all love you). Seriously, our economy sucks now. which is exactly my point. with the economy sucking wat ever it is sucking right now, people wont have money in the future for the high priced games coming out. GRRR

Am I ever wrong??