Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unknown Abyss - A New Space MMORPG

Unknown Abyss is a MMORPG inspired by Earth and Beyond. Enb was a game that lasted exactly 2 years. It was sunseted Sep 22, 2004. While many people were dissapointed by the closing of EnB we thought about making a game based and inspired by enb. Celtic Software is the company involved in the development of the new game. Unknown Abyss is an mmorpg based in space and you are a pilot in one of three main races. All are terran races (human) and exploration is a huge part of the game. Combat and trade are also key elements, and the community is very important to being successful in the online world it will create. The game is skills based and level based. We are obviously using the TGE (torque game engine)....This game is still in creation but the game will most likely be in alpha stage in a month. But most of all we need support. We would love to have you on our forums @ www.unknownabyss.com. We will be having contests and will keep the community informed about how the making of the game is going. We will update our site and post regularly. The developers love to hear your opinions and would love to see you post.

Some things to look forward to:
-Choose your destiny! 3 different classes to suit you!
     -Merchant
     -Warrior
     -Explorer
All of these classes will contain mini classes or professions such as Mining, Bounty hunting, Scouting.

-Choose your faction!
  -Pick from 3 factions with unique backgrounds!
      -Also choose from over 8 sub factions!

Also on our forums I would recommend taking a look at the sketches and pics of the ships the team has designed.

Thanks guys!
DigitalSelf - Head Representative

Comments

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I remember this was posted before...

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• MuddahMuddah Member UncommonPosts: 161
    5 bucks say's its ''Vaporware''image
  • milhoan6milhoan6 Member CommonPosts: 580

Originally posted by Muddah
    5 bucks say's its ''Vaporware''image

Not quite.  The development team is very busy on it...it won't be like mourning.image
  • ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by milhoan6
    Originally posted by Muddah 5 bucks say's its ''Vaporware''imageNot quite. The development team is very busy on it...it won't be like mourning.

Most vaporware was created by incredibly busy teams of honest, hardworking developers...I've worked on a few myself.

Until it's playable, it simply doesn't exist.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by DigitalSelf
    Unknown Abyss is a MMORPG inspired by Earth and Beyond. Enb was a game that lasted exactly 2 years. It was sunseted Sep 22, 2004. While many people were dissapointed by the closing of EnB we thought about making a game based and inspired by enb. Celtic Software is the company involved in the development of the new game. Unknown Abyss is an mmorpg based in space and you are a pilot in one of three main races. All are terran races (human) and exploration is a huge part of the game. Combat and trade are also key elements, and the community is very important to being successful in the online world it will create. The game is skills based and level based. We are obviously using the TGE (torque game engine)....This game is still in creation but the game will most likely be in alpha stage in a month. But most of all we need support. We would love to have you on our forums @ www.unknownabyss.com. We will be having contests and will keep the community informed about how the making of the game is going. We will update our site and post regularly. The developers love to hear your opinions and would love to see you post.
    Some things to look forward to:-Choose your destiny! 3 different classes to suit you! -Merchant -Warrior -ExplorerAll of these classes will contain mini classes or professions such as Mining, Bounty hunting, Scouting.
    -Choose your faction! -Pick from 3 factions with unique backgrounds! -Also choose from over 8 sub factions!
    Also on our forums I would recommend taking a look at the sketches and pics of the ships the team has designed.

Thanks guys!DigitalSelf - Head Representative

Good luck with it. E&B was pretty awful and it looks like you're just doing a complete copy of the game with a new engine.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Really? For me, Earth and Beyond was one of the best MMORPG's I have ever played and probably will ever play.  Even if they are making a complete clone of it (which I'm pretty sure they won't be ) I wouldn't really care.  I'm just happy they are making something for the people angry by Earth and Beyond's closure.

Really? For me, Earth and Beyond was one of the best MMORPG's I have ever played and probably will ever play. Even if they are making a complete clone of it (which I'm pretty sure they won't be ) I wouldn't really care. I'm just happy they are making something for the people angry by Earth and Beyond's closure.

Just a clue:
    E&B got cancelled because it was un-profitable for EA to keep the game going.

Sig image Pending

• aeiouyaeiouy Member Posts: 10

Will there be catapults?

:)

VanBard for Vanguard: A Meeting Place for Bards in Vanguard.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    It won't be a clone, it will be inspired by E&B.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

Originally posted by Elnator

Really? For me, Earth and Beyond was one of the best MMORPG's I have ever played and probably will ever play. Even if they are making a complete clone of it (which I'm pretty sure they won't be ) I wouldn't really care. I'm just happy they are making something for the people angry by Earth and Beyond's closure.

Just a clue:
    E&B got cancelled because it was un-profitable for EA to keep the game going.

The number of subscribers in a game means nothing about the quality of the game.  Plus EnB had around 50k subscribers which, I'm pretty sure, is enough to stay even meaning not making a profit and not losing money.

Update: The site (www.unknownabyss.com) now has 111 members!  Also, the dev team is hard at work on the game currently and more and more things are getting done in the development stage!

On another note, we have 2 servers now for the game when it hits testing and 1 more will be on the way.

Originally posted by milhoan6Really? For me, Earth and Beyond was one of the best MMORPG's I have ever played and probably will ever play. Even if they are making a complete clone of it (which I'm pretty sure they won't be ) I wouldn't really care. I'm just happy they are making something for the people angry by Earth and Beyond's closure.

Just a clue: E&B got cancelled because it was un-profitable for EA to keep the game going.

The number of subscribers in a game means nothing about the quality of the game. Plus EnB had around 50k subscribers which, I'm pretty sure, is enough to stay even meaning not making a profit and not losing money.

I never said the number of subscribers did I said *I* thought it was bad. But you're incorrect. E&B never had more than 37,000 subscribers (at it's peak). And I recall reading that it never recouped it's development costs. Much less became profitable. That's why EA cancelled it.

Sig image Pending

Originally posted by milhoan6Really? For me, Earth and Beyond was one of the best MMORPG's I have ever played and probably will ever play. Even if they are making a complete clone of it (which I'm pretty sure they won't be ) I wouldn't really care. I'm just happy they are making something for the people angry by Earth and Beyond's closure.

Just a clue: E&B got cancelled because it was un-profitable for EA to keep the game going.

The number of subscribers in a game means nothing about the quality of the game. Plus EnB had around 50k subscribers which, I'm pretty sure, is enough to stay even meaning not making a profit and not losing money.

I never said the number of subscribers did I said *I* thought it was bad. But you're incorrect. E&B never had more than 37,000 subscribers (at it's peak). And I recall reading that it never recouped it's development costs. Much less became profitable. That's why EA cancelled it.

Not saying you're wrong, but can you provide a link to where you found that number of subscribers?  I may certainly be wrong, I am just curious to know where you got your information.
  • KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

Lets get something straight EA cancelled EnB because they were short sighted and wouldn't promote the product at all. Further they diverted staff from EnB to work on other projects so EnB suffered for it. No wonder EnB wasn't making money for them. I mean what would you expect from a company that is rife with sports sims and glorified FPS. If your using data recieved from EA on stats for number of subscribers or cost of maintaining one of their games that they are trying to justify closing what do you expect them to say? That its doing well, and we just don't want to promote it because having more then four people running any one game cuts too far into our profit margin for us to continue offering it?

I tend to wonder about some of the respondants motivations here because there sure is a great deal of negativity, as a gaming subscriber I look forward to the introduction of another space based MMORPG. Competition for companies means they will work harder to produce a better product than the next guy and that means consumers win.

Celtic Studios says they're incorporating elements of EnB, Eve and I'm sure popular features of other games on the market and I for one hope they succeed. I was an EnB subscriber and I enjoyed the heck out of the game, sure there were times I was a bit bored, ask any miner in Eve just how stimulated they are sitting next to a Veldspar Asteroid. Eve currently leads the pack for space MMORPG's but its hardly perfect either, it just means there aren't great deal of alternatives at the moment. For example in Eve, who would want to pay to play the game and be restricted to less than a third of the map due to all the wars and claimed territores that Eve allows players to do. In EnB at least as long as your character was of sufficient level and ability you could venture just about anywhere without loosing your shirt. That being said EnB was far from perfect as well, so creating a hybrid of the popular elements of these two games as well as others seems to make a great deal of sense. 

As to the numbers of subscribers, do you honestly expect me to believe that a company can't keep a game up and running with 37,000 subscribers, with an active advertising program that number would climb I'm sure. At the 37,000-50,000 subscriber level you would rake in approx six to eight million a year. If the overhead is so high here in the U.S. then move the operation to a location thats more business friendly.

Next to Celtic Studios posting on the forums about their game, updating its progress? I have to agree with that, Celtic Studios should list their game here so we can track its development and see what they've come up with. I don't know the financial aspect of that however and if Celtic is currently operating on a tight budget then that might not be possible at the moment. Of course is that any different than any of the other companies developing games independantly?

Everything else aside if Celtic creates a game that incorporates the concepts that work effectively from other games currently on the market and modifies them or molds them into a game that can hold its own in the MMORPG market, I say let'em. I'll be the first to subscribe and play until a better one comes along, which is what any of us would do anyway? I look forward to the day I can dump Eve and WoW and play a game that is of the genre I desire instead of settling for whats available. I will be watching the development of "Unknown Abyss" and eagerly await any and all updates about this game and I hope it truely is a hybrid of EnB because I still miss that game.

• spineshankspineshank Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by DigitalSelf
    Some things to look forward to:-Choose your destiny! 3 different classes to suit you! -Merchant -Warrior -ExplorerAll of these classes will contain mini classes or professions such as Mining, Bounty hunting, Scouting.
    -Choose your faction! -Pick from 3 factions with unique backgrounds! -Also choose from over 8 sub factions!

Thanks guys!DigitalSelf - Head Representative

Good luck with it. E&B was pretty awful and it looks like you're just doing a complete copy of the game with a new engine.

Good luck with the game.  I'll make sure to check out the website. 

As for the above post,  this is why i have almost completely stopped coming to this site.  They need to change the name to JadedMMOPlayers.com.  It has become overrun by close minded players who do nothing but bash games. 

There is no best MMORPG, only favorites.