Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game to Utilize 'Roleplay Preferred' Naming Convention - Saga of Lucimia - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGame to Utilize 'Roleplay Preferred' Naming Convention - Saga of Lucimia - MMORPG.com

Saga of Lucimia News - The latest "Mondays in MMORPGs" has been published on the Saga of Lucimia site, a series dedicated to examining industry norms and how SoL will handle them. In this latest article, the notion of naming conventions in MMOs is examined. In Saga of Lucimia, players will be asked to adhere to "roleplay preferred" names.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LordRussellLordRussell Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Just another reason why I'm backing this game.
    RenfailThupliTokken
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638

Plus 1 for this. At some point I would love for new mmos to take a fresh look on how they funnel people into servers, rather than pick and go. I think a brief questionaire on your play style and server expectations would go a long way toward putting people on a server where they will find a community more to their liking.

I think this is a great idea for games that plan on having more than one server, for sure. In our case, we only plan on having one, so it's kind of moot =P
    Thupli
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon

Just another reason why I'm backing this game.

Thanks!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Completely agree. All games should have this. "my opinion".
    ThupliViper482ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Wish all MMO's would bring enforced RP servers back. Good move. Time to fight back against the collective idiot internet.
    Renfail
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!

Sovrath said:

Completely agree. All games should have this.

We agree. Name policies *should* be part of every game.

Viper482 said:

Wish all MMO's would bring enforced RP servers back. Good move. Time to fight back against the collective idiot internet.

We wish it as well!

Arterius said:

This is the reason why I backed this game at the "Founders Tier," With the hopes I get to collectors by March. They deserve it.

We appreciate the support! See you in-game on Friday
  • JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I remember the early days of EverQuest where you had to petition a GM for a surname.  You didn't have all of the stupid names you see today running around in MMOs.  If they didn't like your firstname they forced you to change it if it slipped through the cracks when you asked for a surname.
    Renfail

JemAs666 said:

I remember the early days of EverQuest where you had to petition a GM for a surname.  You didn't have all of the stupid names you see today running around in MMOs.  If they didn't like your firstname they forced you to change it if it slipped through the cracks when you asked for a surname.

Indeed. This came up in many of our earliest design discussions several years back!
    SovrathMrMelGibson
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I take it that "preferred" is not quite the same as "enforced" ?

I take it that "preferred" is not quite the same as "enforced" ?

Depends on how far you want to try to push the limits of sensibility. Read the post/watch the video for the full details.
    [Deleted User]

I love your vision and the fact that you are true to it instead of making decisions only with profit in mind.

You are one of the last teams developing an MMORPG this way. Once ALL MMORPGs are nothing more than a product, I will abandon this hobby for good.

Hear, hear.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited December 2017
    First question, will there be First and Last names? It can go a long way to making naming easier if there can be more than one player named.....er Kyleran? On the rare occasion it hasn't been available I've been known to leverage Kylearan, Kylerann, Kileran etc.

I agree offensive names are ptetty easy to identify in most cases, but there are gray areas. Arryans is actually the name of an offshore Kanban team at my very politically correct employer because in northern India its a mark of pride to be associated to the people that migrated into the region thousands of years ago.

Commercial names are also problematic, is Rolex, Tragically Hip or Blurryface acceptable? (I've used the last two in game)

How about Tylenol, Porsche, or Preparation H?

Human emotions can be problematic, In the current DAOC free shard when you get the deathblow your avatar name goes in front of a system message for all to see like "Kyleran has killed Legolas"

This lead to player names such as Fear, Terror, Hatred and more clever ones like Overeating or Drugs.

Where to draw the line is a challenge indeed, I recall my 12 yr old son being soundly criticised in vanilla WOW by another player in a private tell for naming his first character Punkrocker. I took control of the keyboard at this point and I think peacefully resolved the situation. (These days I'd have said f-off or something)

I'm all for limiting obviously offensive names but prefer flexibility beyond that unless on a roleplaying server in which case I support stronger rules.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2017

Kyleran said:

First question, will there be First and Last names? It can go a long way to making naming easier if there can be more than one player named.....er Kyleran? On the rare occasion it hasn't been available I've been known to leverage Kylearan, Kylerann, Kileran etc.

I agree offensive names are ptetty easy to identify in most cases, but there are gray areas. Arryans is actually the name of an offshore Kanban team at my very politically correct employer because in northern India its a mark of pride to be associated to the people that migrated into the region thousands of years ago.

Commercial names are also problematic, is Rolex, Tragically Hip or Blurryface acceptable? (I've used the last two in game)

How about Tylenol, Porsche, or Preparation H?

Human emotions can be problematic, In the current DAOC free shard when you get the deathblow your avatar name goes in front of a system message for all to see like "Kyleran has killed Legolas"

This lead to player names such as Fear, Terror, Hatred and more clever ones like Overeating or Drugs.

Where to draw the line is a challenge indeed, I recall my 12 yr old son being soundly criticised in vanilla WOW by another player in a private tell for naming his first character Punkrocker. I took control of the keyboard at this point and I think peacefully resolved the situation. (These days I'd have said f-off or something)

I'm all for limiting obviously offensive names but prefer flexibility beyond that unless on a roleplaying server in which case I support stronger rules.

I'd say you can get a good idea of where we are heading from the quoted section of the blog post that MMORPG.com pulled: "...to create a safe haven for roleplayers and those who prefer their fantasy worlds to be free of real-world references or references to other fantastical settings. Because no matter who you are as a player, you can come up with something other than Teabagger, Cokzsucker, or the millionth variation of Drizzt or Legolas."
    Thuplid_20Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I played Pirates of the Caribbean a long time ago, but one thing I did like about it is that you had to take a name from the game and input the name you wanted and once it was approved, your name would be changed.
    RenfailSovrathLoke666d_20[Deleted User]
    I played Pirates of the Caribbean a long time ago, but one thing I did like about it is that you had to take a name from the game and input the name you wanted and once it was approved, your name would be changed.
    That's pretty groovy, actually!
    [Deleted User]
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I absolutely approve. Hate ignorant and stupid names in MMO's, it's bad for the immersion which is bad for the game.
    Renfail
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Good idea, I wont miss "2Leet", "Pawnstar", "lootninja" and the rest. 
    HighMarshal said:
    Huh, that is actually a really good idea. The bad thing is of courser that others can submit the same name while you wait for approving but I guess you can solve that by having a couple of alternatives.
    Renfail
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    My character's name is RenKy Faileran
    Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    My character's name is RenKy Faileran
    Clearly within the proposed naming rules.

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I was actually interested in this game until it said that you cant do dungeons and other stuff unless you have 6 to 8 people in a group....I play Solo a lot and it even said you cant take on a Boar unless you have like 2 people....So no I'm not THAT socialble...LMAO
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
    I was actually interested in this game until it said that you cant do dungeons and other stuff unless you have 6 to 8 people in a group....I play Solo a lot and it even said you cant take on a Boar unless you have like 2 people....So no I'm not THAT socialble...LMAO

Think about Dungeons & Dragons; the vast majority of sessions aren’t just one person sitting at a table with a Dungeon Master. Rather, the most fun is had when you are sitting around with a group of friends sharing in adventures together over sessions that last several hours and span the course of weeks, months, and even years as you and your partners embody the heroes that undertake epic adventure after epic adventure in the worlds they inhabit.

Ours is a team-based MMORPG where the best rewards in terms of adventure, storyline and gear, come from overcoming challenging content that is experienced with a team of your best friends and allies by your side.

If you play solo, a first person game or one of the existing MMORPGs on the market likely suit you best. I'm playing FFXIV mostly solo, and it's an amazing experience. Also ESO. GW2. Another couple of great MMOs that allow for solo play. 

https://sagaoflucimia.com/game/faq

MrMelGibson
    saker said:
    I absolutely approve. Hate ignorant and stupid names in MMO's, it's bad for the immersion which is bad for the game.
    That's our take on it!
    Kyleran
    Loke666 said:
    Good idea, I wont miss "2Leet", "Pawnstar", "lootninja" and the rest. 

No one will =)