Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom to Become Manager & Publisher of Interactive Rights of Robert E. Howard & Others - MMORPG.co

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFuncom to Become Manager & Publisher of Interactive Rights of Robert E. Howard & Others - MMORPG.com News

Funcom has announced that it has scored over $10M in new funding to establish a partnership with Cabinet Group LLC to form a new company called Heroic Signatures. This company will hold and maintain the interactive rights to worlds and characters created by Robert E Howard "and the Swedish original pen and paper and board games". These worlds include those of Conan the Barbarian, Solomon Kane and Mutant Chronicles.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    This doesn't automatically inspire confidence given their track record with Age of Conan & the broken promises & deadlines along with it for many years.
    GladDogPo_ggSiugAlomar
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    hmm im from Norway so i should be happy . But i am not. Did not like the way they handled AOC. Oh well well see what the future holds.
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I guess it has nothing to do with AoC (luckily, so they can't wreck it like they did with TSW), more like a financial move... Based on their results with Exiles they got some extra funding to dip their fingers into licensing the IP (alongside with a few others, I personally would love a game around Kull), so they can get money in the future without working. Since they don't really like to work nowadays :wink:

It won't change anything with AoC, that will stay safely in maintenance mode, neither with Exiles. And since they don't plan to make those new games, just giving them out to outsider dev teams, the result might be even fairly decent. Or not. Since their track record of driving the games into the ground is not limited to their own games, just remember their previous "publishing" attempt with BLC :smiley:

Anyhow, till they don't mess with AoC and AO, they could do any financial shenanigans they like from what I care.
  • Chrono223Chrono223 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited December 2017
    I still think AOC's biggest issue was the scope of the game. 1-20 (Tortage) was great. It seemed they wanted to do so much and it took too long to get every other aspect of the game "right".

I still like the game and go back to it once or twice a year, but I cannot play for more than a week :(

I hope they learned from their experience with AOC and that Quality vs Quantity will truly be implemented. :D
    Alomar
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Correction to the article:

"Funcom has announced that it has scored over $10M in new funding to establish a partnership with Cabinet Group LLC to form a new company called Heroic Signatures."

is false.

the money in question is to help finance new third party developers as well as future internal Funcom projects.

"To fund publishing partnerships with third party developers, and secondarily to have more flexibility in investing in production of new games internally, Funcom has secured a 10.6 million USD investment from SwedBank Robur Fonder AB"

there was no monetary cost in regards to the forming of Heroic Signatures or Funcom's acquisition of a larger chunk of the IPs in question

• eugheuforceeugheuforce Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Hi Funcom.

Single. Player. Conan.

Thank you.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Eh, I liked AoC after the blunder that was their horrible launch was cleaned up. Meanwhile, I've enjoyed Conan Exiles. I'd love a wider variety of Conan titles in future years.
    Iosevus
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red