Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Wins Prestigious "Worst MMO Business Model Of 2017" Award

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Obviously SC being on that poll is just trollish nonsense. $100m+ funded for a game that is nowhere near coming out is a phenomenal business model. Pure jealously.

TOR obviously wins any worst MMO business model. As it really did in this poll.
    worst business model in regards to the customer ...
    From what I have encountered over the years businesses have little regard for customers other than as revenue potential.
    sure, but some are just MUCH worse than others
    bartoni33
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Hah.  That was entertaining for a minute.  Gotta watch the geniuses argue over what a MMO is and isn't.  Sure makes me feel much smarter. 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
    Erillion said:
    Funny that by its own definition since the start of the project Star Citizen is NOT an MMO. Making that MMORPG vote somewhat futile. 

Have fun
    I am surprised, you claim to know so much about this games development and are always copying things from the official site within hours of them going up that you would not know about stuff like this:

"More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO: Star Citizen is the First Person Universe that will allow for unlimited gameplay."
    Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game/spaceflight

And lets not forget that this game has been marketed as an MMO from day one.

Officially announced today at GDC Online, the MMO has already been in production for a year.Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/10/wing-commanders-chris-roberts-returns-to-gaming-with-ambitious-mmo/

But lets play your game and pretend none of this ever happened...

ArsTechnica quote .... you are passing off the words of the author of the article as official marketing quotes from CIG.

They are not.

The author of the article calls it an MMO. Not Chris Roberts. Not CIG.

RobertsSpaceIndustries quote .... they quite literally call it something else than an MMO. A First Person Universe.

Keep in mind ... i would LOVE to be able to call SC a massive multiplayer game. I hope the technology they are working on will enable us to have that. But at the moment we are not there yet.

Have fun
    So by your logic is is also not a space sim or a FPS?  I guess all those who felt they were getting a space sim should ask for a refund?

I do enjoy your wordplay though.  I guess the Audi 8 is not a car by your logic

I guess being a nurse is not a job - https://www.theodysseyonline.com/nursing-more-than-job?utm_expid=.oW2L-b3SQF-m5a-dPEU77g.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Many marketing companies say their product is more than a XXX as a way of saying it is in the top tier of being an XXX.  The official website saying it is more than an MMO is:
    1. The official word that it is indeed an MMO
    2. Marketing speak for it being a great MMO

No amount of word play and funny logic is going to change that mate

EponyxDamor
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Talonsin said:
    So by your logic is is also not a space sim or a FPS?  I guess all those who felt they were getting a space sim should ask for a refund?

I do enjoy your wordplay though.  I guess the Audi 8 is not a car by your logic

I guess being a nurse is not a job - https://www.theodysseyonline.com/nursing-more-than-job?utm_expid=.oW2L-b3SQF-m5a-dPEU77g.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Many marketing companies say their product is more than a XXX as a way of saying it is in the top tier of being an XXX.  The official website saying it is more than an MMO is:

Is GTA a car sim? The answer is: kinda, and the same thing can be said about SC.
    EponyxDamorbartoni33
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Talonsin said:

Or you read the FAQ.

Where it says it is not an MMO.

Have fun
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    It doesn't matter if Star Citizen is an MMO or not. It was still voted as a bad business model of 2017. It could be any genre, and people still vote it as a bad business model.
    Coticbartoni33Kefo

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Well, MMO or not, 591 out of 985 people decided its business model is horrible enough that they voted for it as the worst business model over the other choices there, anyways.  That's marginally more interesting to know than whether or not it's an MMO in the first place.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    God damn, and to think I felt like a chump for spending $40 on SotA.  These SC backers are on a whole different level of sucker!
    bwwianakievkikoodutroa8WalkinGlennMrMelGibson
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    edited December 2017
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

Or you read the FAQ.

Where it says it is not an MMO.

Have fun

When was the FAQ last updated?
    Would you be willing to consider that the information contained within the FAQ is out of date and might not accurately reflect the current direction of the game?

Orinori said:

...and I like messing around with you lot!
    And yet you complain and get quite judgemental when other people mess around with "you lot". Interesting.
    lahnmirbartoni33KefoMrMelGibson
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Anybody feeling froggy enough to go back and see how many times certain people (animals) have said something along the lines of 'outdated information' or 'the scope has changed since then'?

Geese and ganders. Pots and kettles. MMOs and MMOs.
    Cotic said:

When was the FAQ last updated?
    Would you be willing to consider that the information contained within the FAQ is out of date and might not accurately reflect the current direction of the game?

I would be willing to consider.

However, the information is not out of date yet and at the moment SC is still far from "massively". That comes akso from my own experience in testing. Cap is at the 60ish people range, which is comparable to other games with high fidelity grafics.

If the technology CIG is working on works out and we get significantly more players per instance
    i will be one of the first to celebrate. And gladly call it "massively".

Have fun
    The way I am viewing it is that the FAQ was based around the $23 million version of the game which had considerable difference in technology and scope, therefore a lot of the information could well be irrelevant. If their goal is to produce an MMO style game then there is no reason it cannot be classed as an MMO in production.
    >>> If their goal is to produce an MMO style game  >>>

IS IT their goal to produce an MMO style game ?

I think that is the very point that is open for debate.

Multiplayer ... of course. MASSIVELY multiplayer .... only if the technology works out.

Have fun
    rpmcmurphy
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Erillion said:
    Funny that by its own definition since the start of the project Star Citizen is NOT an MMO. Making that MMORPG vote somewhat futile. 

Have fun

Clearly it now intends to be an MMO. Why else would they aiming for mesh servers with hundreds, if not thousands in the same 'instance' with an economy that is player affected and so on.

Just because the original intention was not for a full blown MMO does not mean the same is true today, as you well know.
    pwned

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    >>> If their goal is to produce an MMO style game  >>>

IS IT their goal to produce an MMO style game ?

I think that is the very point that is open for debate.

Multiplayer ... of course. MASSIVELY multiplayer .... only if the technology works out.

Have fun

How is it open for debate?

And yes, it obviously is their goal. They are always talking about mesh servers, thousands per instance etc.

Just because they haven't implemented it yet does not mean that isn't their goal.
    Imagine if we viewed everything like that, the kickstarter for example, would you say CR is not making a space sim because he hasn't built it yet and that he is just making a demo?

>>> a space sim because he hasn't built it yet  >>>

Strange.

What am I flying in almost daily ?

Seems like the space sim part is working.

Have fun

rpmcmurphy
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:

Strange.

Have fun

Erillion, taking things out of context does not make you look clever, it just looks weasely.

I specifically referred to the kickstarter when I used that example
    "Imagine if we viewed everything like that, the kickstarter for example, would you say CR is not making a space sim because he hasn't built it yet and that he is just making a demo?"

WalkinGlenn
    Erillion said:

Strange.

Have fun

Erillion, taking things out of context does not make you look clever, it just looks weasely.

I specifically referred to the kickstarter when I used that example
    "Imagine if we viewed everything like that, the kickstarter for example, would you say CR is not making a space sim because he hasn't built it yet and that he is just making a demo?"

Chris Roberts IS making a space sim. He and his team have built an Alpha version of it. I am flying in this Alpha almost daily.

This Alpha is multiplayer, but not massively multiplayer. Hence ... not an MMO .. not a MASSIVELY multiplayer Alpha.

Have fun
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    At ease, brave Gymnast-Knights.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    IF SC has the worst model... then that is the entire Kickstarter model... And that would include all the rest of them. Because the model is the same... even if the use might differ. 

Ergo... the bloody poll has about the same worth as a stick of gum. 
    Erillionbartoni33OrinoriKyleran

This have been a good conversation

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    tawess said:
    IF SC has the worst model... then that is the entire Kickstarter model... And that would include all the rest of them. Because the model is the same... even if the use might differ. 

Nope on the first paragraph, yep on the second one.

The VAST majority of money raised was after the KS was done. I'm pretty sure KS does not allow for the type of fundraising CIG has been doing for years now (jpeg sales, telethons etc). "Even if the use might differ" is something you just cannot throw in there. KS does not allow that use.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

My bad then... if we are going to mark words.... 

Non-regulated crowdsourced funding. 
    bartoni33

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    tawess said:

It has certainly come to my attention that this entire SC angst is mostly about crowdfunding. I love the bit where lots of people get offended on my behalf! People seem to think it is somehow their business what happens to MY money! Worse still a lot of these people are not even financially involved themselves. They are just mad at the method Chris Roberts is able to fund making Star Citizen and how successful it is. What twisted souls.
    ShodanasKyleran
    Yupp... It is something new that is making headlines... ergo it must be "bad".