Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Premium Currency to be Introduced in Early 2018 - Crowfall - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• SvennEthirSvennEthir Member UncommonPosts: 21

Albatroes said:

For anyone complaining... nothing is changing in terms of the shop outside of the currency, and retiring all the expensive stuff. For legal reasons they are changing from direct cash payment for (cosmetic, non-p2w) stuff to a cash payment to in-game currency for the same stuff.

The stuff you can buy can only be used in Eternal Kingdoms, which is just fancy large instanced housing. None of it can be used in the campaigns, where the actual gameplay happens.

Also, this is all exactly what they promised in the Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/faqs

Developers say and promise a lot of stuff my friend. A prime example is examining Rift when it first went f2p. Now look at it. Things are always subject to change. Its not like I wont play the game, but the pre-cursor for me in all of this is the direct donation to guild bank thing. Things like that always end up influencing the game in one way or the other in the end.

Nearly 3 years ago the Kickstarter launched. Now, they're doing exactly what they said they'd do with the store. I fail to see the problem.

Also, they are literally REMOVING things from the store and NOT adding stuff to the store. And they're changing from real money currency to an in-game currency (as stated above, this is due to european laws about having a real money wallet).

Devs post about removing expensive items from cash shop in favor of only being able to get them in game and... people complain? About what exactly? People are bitching and yelling without even understanding what is happening.
    JamesGoblinYashaX
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Albatroes said:

For anyone complaining... nothing is changing in terms of the shop outside of the currency, and retiring all the expensive stuff. For legal reasons they are changing from direct cash payment for (cosmetic, non-p2w) stuff to a cash payment to in-game currency for the same stuff.

The stuff you can buy can only be used in Eternal Kingdoms, which is just fancy large instanced housing. None of it can be used in the campaigns, where the actual gameplay happens.

Developers say and promise a lot of stuff my friend. A prime example is examining Rift when it first went f2p. Now look at it. Things are always subject to change. Its not like I wont play the game, but the pre-cursor for me in all of this is the direct donation to guild bank thing. Things like that always end up influencing the game in one way or the other in the end.

Nearly 3 years ago the Kickstarter launched. Now, they're doing exactly what they said they'd do with the store. I fail to see the problem.

Also, they are literally REMOVING things from the store and NOT adding stuff to the store. And they're changing from real money currency to an in-game currency (as stated above, this is due to european laws about having a real money wallet).

Devs post about removing expensive items from cash shop in favor of only being able to get them in game and... people complain? About what exactly? People are bitching and yelling without even understanding what is happening.
    I've been following this loosely and some links would be nice to show the things they are removing.  The switching from real money is a legal issue giving them no choice, sounds like.  What have they removed?  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    IceAge said:
    YashaX said:
    IceAge said:
    ...and people say Blizzard is greedy . This guys hasn't even released the game, are charging 40-50$ for the game and still, you see a cash shop with a huge P2W potential.

People were crying about the EA's BF2 loot boxes and yet, we see a ... 7000$ "palace" in this game.

Well deserved I guess. As long as some players want that ..."palace" , we will all see this kind of games popping up ..and in the end , nothing will change.

So ..

STOP GIVING MONEY TO SHITTY COMPANIES !!
    As far as I know they are not selling any p2w items ...
    That's why I said "with a huge P2W potential" .

I don't even know much about this game or the ... "items' they sell in the shop , but any company which adds items with a price tag of say 7k $ , it will always end up in the P2W category.

You cannot sell things for 7k$ which will not give the player any advantages. Period. 
    But they have, its a 7k skin.

And OT, what news? A game with a cash shop instead of a sub, thats something new....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir  
    JamesGoblinYashaX
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

IceAge said:
    WoW is looking good these days with it's no bullshit subscription model. Seriously, I'm considering starting it up again...
    I am telling you, is the only game in this fucked up MMO genre, which is worth playing it. 

I am playing it on and off since Legion started , and I am having a blast. There is no other MMO which can come close to WoW in ALL terms. 

Plus, as you said , with  "no bullshit subscription model" . 15$ a month and you get it FULL. 

On a side note .. let's take a moment and let's imagine a world without Blizzard.

.... exactly !
    Agreed.  Though Blizzard includes a cash shop, I never get a pop-up in game pushing me to the shop, and I've never hit a point in the game where I thought "oh, they're doing this to get me to buy it in the shop, instead."
    I see no reason why Crowfall would do things differently. And in WoW you can buy ingame gold through the token system, some might suggest that would be a little cough*P2W*cough Not me though, I couldn't care less, not in Crowfall, WoW or every other MMO except Ryzom out there.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    JamesGoblinYashaX

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

Albatroes said:

I've been following this loosely and some links would be nice to show the things they are removing.  The switching from real money is a legal issue giving them no choice, sounds like.  What have they removed?  
    The original article mentions it. Everything over $200 is going away. You will no longer be able to purchase castles and such (which were for your EK only anyway, glorified player housing). All of the expensive stuff in the store is gone and now only craftable in game.

From the original article ( https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/founders-update-more-on-crowns-and-guilds/ ):

"Please note that ANY items in the shop current priced over $200/€200 will be retired at the end of 2017!"

From the article above they linked the original article introducing crowns ( https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/founders-update-moving-from-pledges-to-preorders/ ). Quotes from there:

"
    On December 31st, we will retire all 2017 pledge packages and the majority of our parcels and strongholds bundles. Essentially, everything that was priced over $200 USD is being removed from our virtual item catalogue."

"In a nutshell, this change means that we’re going to:
    1. Remove all of the “high dollar” bundles (and items) from our store
    2. Break apart many of the remaining “low dollar” bundles into smaller pieces
    These parcels, strongholds and items are still available in the game, of course. You’ll just have to earn them through gameplay."

"As of December 31st, the following items will be REMOVED from the store:
    • ALL Guild Stronghold bundles
    • Any parcels priced > $200.00
    • Any buildings priced > $200.00
    • Any construction kits (stronghold walls and towers) > $200.00"
    They are breaking down some stuff into smaller packages (again, cosmetic/housing stuff only):

"Will you be adding anything new to the store?

Yes. We’ll be adding some new items and kits– but these will be smaller packages offered at a much lower price point. And, just as before, these additions will be limited to cosmetics and construction items that can be used only in the Eternal Kingdoms (i.e. the player- and guild-owned worlds). They cannot be imported into the Campaign Worlds."

JamesGoblinYashaX
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    The cash shop is not news. From Crowfall kickstarter FAQ:

Is there a micropayment shop?
    There is a limited micropayment shop, which can only be used to buy things that do NOT affect the balance of the game.

Last updated: Tue, February 24 2015 5:48 AM PST

JamesGoblinSvennEthirSlapshot1188[Deleted User]YashaX
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    YashaX said:
    IceAge said:
    YashaX said:
    IceAge said:
    ...and people say Blizzard is greedy . This guys hasn't even released the game, are charging 40-50$ for the game and still, you see a cash shop with a huge P2W potential.

People were crying about the EA's BF2 loot boxes and yet, we see a ... 7000$ "palace" in this game.

Well deserved I guess. As long as some players want that ..."palace" , we will all see this kind of games popping up ..and in the end , nothing will change.

So ..

I don't even know much about this game or the ... "items' they sell in the shop , but any company which adds items with a price tag of say 7k $ , it will always end up in the P2W category.

You cannot sell things for 7k$ which will not give the player any advantages. Period. 

Apparently the castle is purely cosmetic and doesn't offer any advantages. Outrageously expensive, but not p2w.

Ironically, WoW (which you claimed is pretty much the last bastion of non-p2w gaming) has actually implemented p2w (not just potential) mechanics with its in game store and tokens which you can buy with cash and sell on the auction house for in game gold. 

Don't get all mad though; I would be the first person to complain about a pvp game with p2w mechanics, I just haven't seen them yet (hopefully nothing bad will be implemented!)

Ironically , you know nothing about WoW it seems, if you pretend that WoW tokens are ..P2W. Gold in WoW is .. yes, believe me , some short of pure cosmetics too. Ironically right? But I am telling you , with gold in WoW you can't do anything P2W because what matters is the drops you get from dungeons, raids, etc. 

So no .. potential P2W in WoW. 

If anything , yes! I reckon, with gold in WoW it helps you level up faster if you are a new player by buying Heirlooms. So , it's pay to skip which I always like this things in older MMO's.  And that is in PVE only. Now, Crowfall , a base PVP game , you can't never say something like "pay 2 skip" , because hence , PVP. 

I will leave this for you here : 

Uuuugggg..... debating p2w is the worst, but here we go.....

If 3 guilds bought and paid for a $1500 castle each campaign, and if any one of those guilds won a campaign by doing so that is p2w by (my) definition.  What about the other 30 guilds in that campaign?  If they were of equal size and skill and anyone brings in purchase assets to get a head, in a PvP game, that's pay to win.  Even if they don't win, they wont have to spend the time (weeks?) farming the resources for that fortress and go right along and start farming for their second fortress.

We don't know all the details yet or how this all works, but bringing in assets you don't work for in an open world pvp strategy MMO that has an actual win condition is p2w.  Sure you risk the assets, but I don't really think it's in ACE's (or the player's) best interests for this sort of thing to be allowed.

And.. Things whales do for a game : 

so if/when you see this happening, kneel early and focus elsewhere? the real winner is ACE and the playerbase as a whole if someone actually does this. you see it as pay2win but more dollars toward game development is a win for all of us, it ensures todd and gordon have the funds to keep the wheels in motion.

this is the main reason i didn't hesitate to grab an IP even though i will probably be mostly solo. because those funds contribute to ensuring this title's success long term. 

Everything for the good of the game right? LOL !!

Source : https://community.crowfall.com/topic/13119-big-news-about-strongholds-official-discussion-thread/?page=9&tab=comments#comment-290318

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

IceAge said:

If 3 guilds bought and paid for a $1500 castle each campaign, and if any one of those guilds won a campaign by doing so that is p2w by (my) definition.  What about the other 30 guilds in that campaign?  If they were of equal size and skill and anyone brings in purchase assets to get a head, in a PvP game, that's pay to win.  Even if they don't win, they wont have to spend the time (weeks?) farming the resources for that fortress and go right along and start farming for their second fortress.

We don't know all the details yet or how this all works, but bringing in assets you don't work for in an open world pvp strategy MMO that has an actual win condition is p2w.  Sure you risk the assets, but I don't really think it's in ACE's (or the player's) best interests for this sort of thing to be allowed.

so if/when you see this happening, kneel early and focus elsewhere? the real winner is ACE and the playerbase as a whole if someone actually does this. you see it as pay2win but more dollars toward game development is a win for all of us, it ensures todd and gordon have the funds to keep the wheels in motion.

this is the main reason i didn't hesitate to grab an IP even though i will probably be mostly solo. because those funds contribute to ensuring this title's success long term. 

Source : https://community.crowfall.com/topic/13119-big-news-about-strongholds-official-discussion-thread/?page=9&tab=comments#comment-290318

Sure, if you could buy a castle for a campaign, that would suck. BUT YOU CAN'T.

"Crowns will be used to purchase items for your Eternal Kingdoms such as parcels, buildings, decorations and stronghold building materials; those purchased items cannot be used in the Campaign Worlds."

They've been saying this since the Kickstarter and are very adamant about it. Cash shop purchases are for EKs (player housing) ONLY! You can NOT buy a castle for a campaign! The cash shop DOES NOT TOUCH THE ACTUAL GAMEPLAY.

I'm not sure how else to say it. Nothing you buy in the shop can be used outside of instanced player housing. Castles in the campaigns MUST BE CRAFTED IN THAT CAMPAIGN.
    JamesGoblinlahnmirYashaX
  • TazdragoTazdrago Member UncommonPosts: 44
    The games not even out and they just keep finding ways to make even more money, as it stands this game has made $19,799,521... Makes me sick .
    JamesGoblin
    Tazdrago said:
    The games not even out and they just keep finding ways to make even more money, as it stands this game has made $19,799,521... Makes me sick .
    Why? What is it to you? They asked for support and got it. The game is coming along nicely and is as far removed from a scam or amateur project as possible. You can follow them in everything they do. I guess Star Citizen is actually killing you?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblinYashaX

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    IceAge said:
    YashaX said:
    IceAge said:
    YashaX said:
    IceAge said:

So ..

Apparently the castle is purely cosmetic and doesn't offer any advantages. Outrageously expensive, but not p2w.

Ironically, WoW (which you claimed is pretty much the last bastion of non-p2w gaming) has actually implemented p2w (not just potential) mechanics with its in game store and tokens which you can buy with cash and sell on the auction house for in game gold. 

Don't get all mad though; I would be the first person to complain about a pvp game with p2w mechanics, I just haven't seen them yet (hopefully nothing bad will be implemented!)

Ironically , you know nothing about WoW it seems, if you pretend that WoW tokens are ..P2W. Gold in WoW is .. yes, believe me , some short of pure cosmetics too. Ironically right? But I am telling you , with gold in WoW you can't do anything P2W because what matters is the drops you get from dungeons, raids, etc. 

So no .. potential P2W in WoW. 

If anything , yes! I reckon, with gold in WoW it helps you level up faster if you are a new player by buying Heirlooms. So , it's pay to skip which I always like this things in older MMO's.  And that is in PVE only. Now, Crowfall , a base PVP game , you can't never say something like "pay 2 skip" , because hence , PVP. 

Lol, you defend blatant p2w in your favorite game, but cry to high heaven about a game which you have admitted to knowing very little about. Kids these days ...
    JamesGoblin
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I'd somehow missed all the cash shop stuff about CF when looking into the game, I had sort of assumed it was all just there for fundraising and there wouldn't be a cash shop when it launched. 

Admittedly, the design of CF doesn't appeal to me and I think the game is going to burn out quickly, but now I know it's definitely having a cash shop there is no point me even trying it. 
  • AlamandarosAlamandaros Member UncommonPosts: 1
    The sheer amount of overreaction without understanding what's going on is amazing.

As has been pointed out by a few people already, for legal reasons while operating the game in the EU, they must provide their own premium currency. Absolutely nothing is changing with what they already have setup; just instead of paying for what's available right now directly with cash, you have to first buy the currency.

Morever what's being retired (and what's still available) has absolutely no impact on campaign gameplay. It's all cosmetic stuff.
    JamesGoblinYashaX
  • FrykkaFrykka Member UncommonPosts: 154

What the hell happened to b2p ... seems like every gaming company is following this disgusting ingame shop trend. Stop buying these games.

Everything is also obtainable in game... nothing in the shop give advantage.
    JamesGoblin
  • illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    It's like people don't realize a company exists solely to make money.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• NicoustNicoust Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I'm still looking for another game; I love it when crossing a game off the list is made easy.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    IceAge said:

Plus, as you said , with  "no bullshit subscription model" . 15$ a month and you get it FULL. 
     Well, provided you bought the game + all expansions. if you want the top "no bullshit sub model" EVE is the gold standard. Pay the sub get the FULL game.
    JamesGoblin
  • Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited December 2017

Now here's the reason not to even look at this game, cash store.  Matter of time before lockboxes hit. 

What a mess MMORPGs have turned out to be.  Think I'll stick with ARK, my own servers, my own settings, NO STORE, NO LOCKBOXES, mods, etc etc etc.  Almost like the old days with no sub. 

And "perk", I don't have to deal with Blixtev.  Remember that too well from SWG.

JamesGoblin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    lahnmir said:
    IceAge said:
    WoW is looking good these days with it's no bullshit subscription model. Seriously, I'm considering starting it up again...
    I am telling you, is the only game in this fucked up MMO genre, which is worth playing it. 

I am playing it on and off since Legion started , and I am having a blast. There is no other MMO which can come close to WoW in ALL terms. 

On a side note .. let's take a moment and let's imagine a world without Blizzard.

.... exactly !
    Agreed.  Though Blizzard includes a cash shop, I never get a pop-up in game pushing me to the shop, and I've never hit a point in the game where I thought "oh, they're doing this to get me to buy it in the shop, instead."
    I see no reason why Crowfall would do things differently. And in WoW you can buy ingame gold through the token system, some might suggest that would be a little cough*P2W*cough Not me though, I couldn't care less, not in Crowfall, WoW or every other MMO except Ryzom out there.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    I was merely speaking to presentation.  WoW does not contain pop-ups of random folks' loot drops in the world, doesn't hit you with a menu pop-up every time you log in, there's no constant drops of silly items that require cash shop purchases to use/open....

It's less a storefront, more a game.  Crowfall could be the same, or not.  I don't really follow the game, I was just commenting on how much more I enjoy WoW for staying outta my face with that mess.
    JamesGoblin

What the hell happened to b2p ... seems like every gaming company is following this disgusting ingame shop trend. Stop buying these games.

It is still BtP, $50 and you play, no subscription required... there is nothing of value to PvP players in the store, just fluff.
    JamesGoblin

Great. A functioning cash shop before a fun game is even functional. And now you see them for what they are.

What idiots.

The Store came on day one of the Kickstarter in 2015... most of the kickstarter pledge packages and items that were used to initially fund development are gone. Pledge store becoming more a fluff shop of skins and non-combat items for your little princess castle, nothing more, nothing with combat effects. Have you played? it is pretty fun, assassin next patch and more mechanics for the stealth/perception/tracking meta.
    JamesGoblin

Wizbuiz said:

Another game to cross off the list, RIP.

They are clearly not paying attention to the mmorpg community and the development of the business, "we are sick and tired of CASHSHOP GAMES and their fucking buy this for cosmetics, what the fuck is that shit all about? U SHOULD AS A COMPLETE GAME have cosmetic options in the first place, its as much part of the game as being able to move your character around, so next thing is, if you want spell effects buy it in the cashshop? GTFO thank god i never backed this game

You do have all the options in game to create every item sold in the cash shop by obtaining the resources in-game. This is nothing like the cash shop games you deride... in fact the cash shop is worthless now that it is no longer a part of the kickstarter funding. No real PvP player will need any of the cash shop stuff ever. You GET the cosmetic options in the crafting recipes too.
    JamesGoblin

Malathoos said:

I am not sure how i feel about this. By adding the cash shop this early it just tells me it will be F2P within 6 months a year tops. This is not what i preordered. The fact that items can have a price all the way up to 200 is ridiculous. This is already saying that if your a whale youll love our game. I already regret putting any money towards this especially since they have pushed it back and still are not in larger testing phases.What the hell was the point of beta access with preorder when the beta is gonna be a month long. I like the days when alpha was internal.

The shop wasn't "added", it is the kickstarter pledge shop being readied for alpha in the next couple months. I would ask first... "why aren't you just playing rather than posting bad information."
    JamesGoblin