Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Movie Universes that Would Make Great MMOs - General Columns

124»

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    How about Planet of the Apes?
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    1, Babylon 5.
    2, Highlander
    3, Blade Runner
    4, Marvel
    5, Pacific Rim
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Couple of years back I watched the whole Babylon 5 series again and was awestruck once again by the writing.
    MendelPhrycheyane

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Should have used books...

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    kitarad said:
    Couple of years back I watched the whole Babylon 5 series again and was awestruck once again by the writing.
    I loved Babylon 5, especially the first 3 years.  The fall of the Narn home world may be the most iconic images of space combat I've seen.  The writing was exceptional up until Straczynski discovered the copy and paste feature.  Too many Mimbari prophecies ended up in the mouth of G'Kar verbatim.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Pacific Rim, didn't think of that one. I like!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    MrMelGibson
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Dune is always the first IP I think of when one of these lists pop up.

If 13 movies, 12 tv specials, 800+ episodes, and 87 manga volumes count as enough lore to build a world, I would also love to see something based on One Piece. RvR, naturally
  • Meat_BrockwurstMeat_Brockwurst Member CommonPosts: 1
    Someone mentioned it on a prior post: Ringworld.  I'm attracted to the concept of a LARGE game-play arena, near infinite expansion.  I'm intrigued by Start Citizen's (someday) vastness, but space operas are not my genre, but I'm not opposed to having a "science fiction" component.  Many species/races, vast areas to explore, fight for, claim and build anything from a hunting lodge to a vast fortress.
    Mendel
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    kitarad said:
    Michael J Straczynski took inspiration from a series of books written in the 30s called The Lensman. Which is about 2 ancient alien races where one keeps itself hidden from the other and engages in a secret War by helping lesser races develop to fight in this war.

Really good series, although a bit dated by today's sci fi standards.
    Phry
  • khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Hmm, I was gonna suggest Harry Potter but that was already said but how about a Lego styled MMO.  Could work if it was done correctly.  Also another one that could be cool would be Storm Ship Troopers.  I kinda liked that movie and it could make for a pretty good MMO.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Was "The Purge" mentioned?
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    By Pacific Rim I expect you mean, that you all want to pilot Jaegers by you self?  So you would expect a game world filled with 200+ players all piloting Jaegers?  That are the scale of 20+ stories tall in an open world game?  And no one wants to play the little guy trying not to be stepped on, and doing the grunt work of building and maintaining the Jaegers.

Think about what you are asking for.  Do you really want an MMO where you are in this world with a menial role.  Or do you want a co-op single player story game, where you are the main or predominate character?

How would I develop a Pacific Rim MMO?  The game world has the nine Shatterdomes.  Each has 3 Jaegers, and the capacity for 3 more. The roll of a new character is not to pilot a Jaeger, but to support the maintenance, improvement and building of additional Jaeger.  By doing so, they unlock time at the controls of and instanced Jaeger battle.  So a player can spend 4 days collect and harvesting resources, then processing said resources into components to maintain, improve and build new Jaeger. All for 1 hour at the controls of a Jaeger.  Or they could buy a loot crate of materials in the cash shop.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• beejeffbeejeff Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Terminator and tron and mad max are the three inspiring movies which made it clear that the hardwork can do anything easily.
    I have watched all those movies on beetv app, https://beetvapp.com/
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    the ip of LOTR is awesome for  a pvp mmo.. with rvr.

what a dream?!
  • SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Wow, where's Dune on this list?
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited March 2019
    frostymug said:
    Dune is always the first IP I think of when one of these lists pop up.

If 13 movies, 12 tv specials, 800+ episodes, and 87 manga volumes count as enough lore to build a world, I would also love to see something based on One Piece. RvR, naturally

Not sure if you're a prophet or a space wizard.

Ask and ye shall receive.
    https://www.mmorpg.com/news/funcom-to-create-at-least-3-games-in-the-dune-universe-including-an-open-world-multiplayer-game-1000051621

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    So the original poster has never heard off or seen Dune.