Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE: Crytek Files Copyright Infringement Suit, Cloud Imperium Responds - Star Citizen News

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2017
    rertez said:
    It is interesting how Crytek, formerly known as a well respected supplier and partner suddenly became a stupid, dying, evil company after CIG decided to switch to a free engine based on the same CryEngine they licensed and upon which they persistently based their products. CryEngine's visual capabilities have been key factors in dazzling SC's audience right from the beginning and the engine has been cruicial in boosting CIG's crowdfunding up to this date.
    Wasn't sudden.

The relations between Crytek and CIG started to go sideways when Crytek first row of bankruptcy drama happened in 2014, CIG was able to snatch a bunch of their talent and open the German studio now working in SC.

Of course, nothing of this was ever confirmed aside of rumors, but said Crytek didn't like that all, it was also the around the time CIG did completely stop pulling come from stock CE & its updates.

But then when Lumberyard comes around, under Amazon, obviously Amazon is a better partner than a near-bankrupt Crytek for the past 3 years. So no wonder they wanted to move away from them, but now it all comes to how they did it that is being contested.
    [Deleted User]
  • KayAndroidKayAndroid Member UncommonPosts: 59
    This is a little silly to me. Even if CIG DID use CryEngine to create some assets... Who cares? It should only matter if they decide to sell the assets on TurboSquid or something later. It's not cool for such a big dev to be pirating software without a license though.
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    $75k

Bah... that’s chump change. So they make a new Crytek ship to sell for $1k. Give Crytek their $75k and pocket another $500k themselves...
    The $75k is just a formal thing because the amount of controversy has to exceed this limit in order to get the case to the federal court. That's why this particular amount is included. Also there is diversity of citizenship and copyright claims are federal questions anyways.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    This is a little silly to me. Even if CIG DID use CryEngine to create some assets... Who cares? It should only matter if they decide to sell the assets on TurboSquid or something later. It's not cool for such a big dev to be pirating software without a license though.
    Crytek cares enough that they're willing to hire a law firm described by Forbes as "The most powerful law firm on wall street" for it.

CiG cares enough to actually comment on it instead of doing what would have been the SMART thing to do and say "no comment".

PEOPLE care enough that the law suit's online complaint hit 50k views in like, one day.  And that around 30+ news sites have an article on the subject now including major ones like BBC.

I hope this answers your question of "Who cares?"
    mr1602Talonsin[Deleted User]
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I could not care less about this lawsuit, just posting that I find it amusing.  I'm a little surprised something like this didn't happen sooner, CIG is such an outlier.  I'm sure Roberts et al were prepared (co-founder is a lawyer and all that).  It makes me glad I haven't plunked down any bones to this yet, as the risk factor of catastrophic failure just went up a bit and some of the crowdfunded amount will no doubt go to cover court costs should they settle or lose.  I wouldn't want my space money being used that way.  I'm sure some whales are fine with it.  The sky isn't falling yet.

I just want to see how much Roberts is paying himself if this goes to discovery.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    edited December 2017
    OG_Zorvan said:
    The snake oil salesman will simply settle out of court to avoid any financial disclosures.
    Exactly.  And then the backers who have donated their life savings to him will talk about how much of a "genius!" he is.  Lol.

Get yer credit cards ready!  Another concept art sale is certainly not long off.
    ScotchUp
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I personally would be surprised if this is not settled out of court. Most want money, not justice. Especially the lawyers.

Have fun
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]
    Erillion said:
    I personally would be surprised if this is not settled out of court. Most want money, not justice. Especially the lawyers.

Have fun
    When game companies sue each other, no one wins.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

Torval said:
    I know a bunch of people want to see this blow up in CIGs face, especially those posting thinly veiled demur insights, but looking at the big picture I seriously doubt that will happen. They've screwing around in Jeff's new gaming playground. That can't fare well for Crytek in the end if it gets big enough to ruffle Amazon.

So regardless of the facts, which are more likely that both CIG fudged licensing some and Cry is desperately grasping at revenue straws, it will surprise me if this interferes in any way with SC development on Lumberyard or garners anything more than a token "go away" lump sum settlement.

But keep on hoping for the worst you Kings of Dredge, Princes of Persnickety, and Goons of Gloom.
    Oh I agree with Mandalore Gaming: part of me would love it if Star Citizen implodes just to watch some of the shills and SC thought police go down screaming with it.  I'm somewhat disturbed at these feelings, I guess it's a result of trolling by the uber fans?  The most I can do is recognize it as a potential source of bias and moderate my posts accordingly.

As I've said elsewhere, I like the project except for a few particular organs but I really can't stand most of what represents the game's core community to me.
    gir243Limnic

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Most of the time when employees leave their old job they're required not to share company secrets with future employers.  To hire them to work on the same engine is a can of worms.  Plus the complaint says CIG acknowledged they were required to send them bug fixes but never did which would be an admission of a need to honor the contract.   

CIG states they bought the engine and therefor own all the rights to it.  If that were true the law firm would never had accepted the case.

I'd expect a settlement also with a requirement for silence about the size of the compensation.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited December 2017
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/13/16774244/crytek-star-citizen-cryengine-lawsuit

Update (Dec. 15): Overnight, Crytek responded to Polygon with the following statement:

“Crytek is a technology company and intellectual property is its greatest asset,” they said. “It is unfortunate that this lawsuit had to be brought, but Crytek has been left with no option but to protect its intellectual property in court.”

Kinda sounds like it's going to court.  The general rumour is that CiG doesn't have the money to pay for settlement and that Crytek knows it has them by the rounds.

Torval said:
    I know a bunch of people want to see this blow up in CIGs face, especially those posting thinly veiled demur insights, but looking at the big picture I seriously doubt that will happen. They've screwing around in Jeff's new gaming playground. That can't fare well for Crytek in the end if it gets big enough to ruffle Amazon.

So regardless of the facts, which are more likely that both CIG fudged licensing some and Cry is desperately grasping at revenue straws, it will surprise me if this interferes in any way with SC development on Lumberyard or garners anything more than a token "go away" lump sum settlement.

But keep on hoping for the worst you Kings of Dredge, Princes of Persnickety, and Goons of Gloom.

Considering that Crytek appears to want to bring it to court when you'd think they would have been settled before then, I am wholly expecting that "a bunch of people want to see this blow up in CiG's face" "hoping for the worse" probably includes a lot of people at Crytek.  With good reason according to rumours of how CiG handled the relationship.

MaxBacon
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ohh man, I really hope Star Citizen doesn't get delayed because of all of this.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir   
    [Deleted User]PhaserlightBeansnBreadAnthur
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited December 2017

Torval said:

Crytek doesn't strike me as a particularly competent company. They filed in California instead of Texas. They should have filed in Texas.

Skadden.  The choice of where to file would likely be Skadden's doing, not Crytek.  You know, one of the top rated law firms in the world once described by Forbes as the most powerful law firm on Wall Street?

Maybe they're not particularly competent.  *shrug*
    MaxBacon
    Torval said:
    Tiamat64 said:

Torval said:

Crytek doesn't strike me as a particularly competent company. They filed in California instead of Texas. They should have filed in Texas.

Skadden.  The choice of where to file would likely be Skadden's doing, not Crytek.  You know, one of the top rated law firms in the world once described by Forbes as the most powerful law firm on Wall Street?  You should go apply for a job there because you're obviously better than their employee that decided to file in California instead of Texas.
    Now there is no need to be a rude douche. Does that make you feel better or like your point will mean more? You were all about parsing out motives and digging into the why of it before so why the sudden change of heart? You don't think it odd that a software IP and copyright case wouldn't be tried in Texas? That is the go to state for that sort of litigation.

Of course their legal team chose California for a reason. This is a discussion forum so I brought up the point that it's an odd choice. Why so suddenly defensive and rude about that? It's just a point.

There's a difference between saying "I found that odd" and "It doesn't strike me as a particularly competent company."  But then, it doesn't surprise me that either you can't even remember what you posted a short time back or that your memory is selectively editing what actually happened in reality considering that you're accusing me of being rude and you don't know why I am being so.
    Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Tiamat64 said:
    Torval said:
    Tiamat64 said:

Torval said:

Skadden.  The choice of where to file would likely be Skadden's doing, not Crytek.  You know, one of the top rated law firms in the world once described by Forbes as the most powerful law firm on Wall Street?  You should go apply for a job there because you're obviously better than their employee that decided to file in California instead of Texas.
    Now there is no need to be a rude douche. Does that make you feel better or like your point will mean more? You were all about parsing out motives and digging into the why of it before so why the sudden change of heart? You don't think it odd that a software IP and copyright case wouldn't be tried in Texas? That is the go to state for that sort of litigation.

Of course their legal team chose California for a reason. This is a discussion forum so I brought up the point that it's an odd choice. Why so suddenly defensive and rude about that? It's just a point.

There's a difference between saying "I found that odd" and "It doesn't strike me as a particularly competent company."  But then, it doesn't surprise me that either you can't even remember what you posted a short time back or that your memory is selectively editing what actually happened in reality considering that you're accusing me of being rude and you don't know why I am being so.
    Considering this is a federal case filed in the US District court, I was also somewhat bemused at the "Texas is the go to state" comment since this is not a state case.

Par for the course in this thread though since demonizing Crytech, their actions and their motives seems to be the go to strategy for CIG defenders.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Torval said:

Of course their legal team chose California for a reason.
    Of course they did.

They'll file wherever they think they have the best chance to succeed, no doubt. If it's not an open-and-shut case, little details like that can make all the difference...
  • XanderxavierXanderxavier Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited December 2017
    Lol crytek nowdays is a joke of a company which proved to fiscally irresponsible to keep the majority of its staff on the payroll, failed to pay them in a timely fashion for some time before this, and ultimately had to let them go a great many jumped ship to CIG, and like all greedy jokes they think they can litigate their way back into the black, they dont have a leg to stand on as CIG swapped to lumberyard which basically defuses the core of their argument as its no longer THEIR engine, and no products have actually been released which didnt prominantly show crytek labels prior to them swapping to it, basically its a waste of everyones time, unless they can prove the opposite... which they cant.

Furthermore its extremely bad for their PR if and when I ever get the oppertunity to screw the corpse of crytek (ie whats left of the company) i will take it, they can forget recovering their busines, I will refuse to use their engine direct, and I will refuse to buy any crytek games now and forever, they've doomed themselves, It's probably not a good idea to wizz on the aspirations of 2 million hardcore gamers that happen to form a notable portion of their customer base.

And also its a extremely bad idea to piss of amazon, who will stomp crytek like a bug, given amazon's cash is the sole reason they still exist, and amazon has a team of lawyers roughly akind to mr burn's hounds, and given their going after the most high profile lumberyard licensee, i suspect its only a matter of time before the order to release the hounds is issued.

This is a Derek DUMB level stupidity at work, and if you'll excuse me I have to go write some accerbic hate mail to send to crytek :smiley:
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Lol crytek nowdays is a joke of a company which proved to fiscally irresponsible to keep the majority of its staff on the payroll, failed to pay them in a timely fashion for some time before this, and ultimately had to let them go a great many jumped ship to CIG, and like all greedy jokes they think they can litigate their way back into the black, they dont have a leg to stand on as CIG swapped to lumberyard which basically defuses the core of their argument as its no longer THEIR engine, and no products have actually been released which didnt prominantly show crytek labels prior to them swapping to it, basically its a waste of everyones time, unless they can prove the opposite... which they cant.

Furthermore its extremely bad for their PR if and when I ever get the oppertunity to screw the corpse of crytek (ie whats left of the company) i will take it, they can forget recovering their busines, I will refuse to use their engine direct, and I will refuse to buy any crytek games now and forever, they've doomed themselves, It's probably not a good idea to wizz on the aspirations of 2 million hardcore gamers that happen to form a notable portion of their customer base. This is a Derek DUMB level stupidity at work, and if you'll excuse me I have to go write some accerbic hate mail to send to crytek :smiley:
    Nah, the suit looks pretty legit so far.
    MaxBaconScotchUp
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268

Furthermore its extremely bad for their PR if and when I ever get the oppertunity to screw the corpse of crytek (ie whats left of the company) i will take it, they can forget recovering their busines, I will refuse to use their engine direct, and I will refuse to buy any crytek games now and forever, they've doomed themselves, It's probably not a good idea to wizz on the aspirations of 2 million hardcore gamers that happen to form a notable portion of their customer base.

And also its a extremely bad idea to piss of amazon, who will stomp crytek like a bug, given amazon's cash is the sole reason they still exist, and amazon has a team of lawyers roughly akind to mr burn's hounds.

This is a Derek DUMB level stupidity at work, and if you'll excuse me I have to go write some accerbic hate mail to send to crytek :smiley:
    Sounds like you are taking this suit far too personally.
    ScotchUpMaxBacon
    edited December 2017
    Cotic said:

And also its a extremely bad idea to piss of amazon, who will stomp crytek like a bug, given amazon's cash is the sole reason they still exist, and amazon has a team of lawyers roughly akind to mr burn's hounds.

- Anything that wastes RSI's money on anything but game development and related will piss me off, after all my money forms a part of the total, perhaps a little greater portion then I had once intended but you cant blame CIG for an excellent marketing campaign, being a game developer myself (ok an indie hundreds of times smaller then cig ) I'm going to immediately reverse the engine decision for a game scheduled to be developed in cryengine licensed direct to crytek, ... probably swap to lumberyard or consider alternative engine arrangements, they probably just lost 75 grand or more :smiley:
    ScotchUpEponyxDamor
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Cotic said:

- Anything that wastes RSI's money on anything but game development and related will piss me off, after all my money forms a part of the total, perhaps a little greater portion then I had once intended but you cant blame CIG for an excellent marketing campaign, being a game developer myself (ok an indie hundreds of times smaller then cig ) I'm going to immediately reverse the engine decision for a game scheduled to be developed in cryengine licensed direct to crytek, ... probably swap to lumberyard or consider alternative engine arrangements, they probably just lost 75 grand or more :smiley:
    Crytek have every right to bring this suit, read the documents that have been presented to the court, this isn't some snap decision on Cryteks part this has been ongoing for several years, ultimately this will come down to incompetence on the part of CIG, if they'd abided by the terms of their agreement with Crytek there would have been no issue.

As to this being bad PR, I have to disagree, Crytek are merely protecting their business, just as any rational business should, and they have hired a law firm that's one of the best in the business, this isn't some frivolous law suit.

The sad thing is this could spell the end of Star Citizen, which would not be a good thing.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Cotic said:

Then perhaps CIG should not have been so flippant. Your blame and vitriol is misplaced.

I find it rather ironic that you call Crytek greedy when it is CIG running a P2W cash shop in a pre-alpha, selling spaceships for ridiculous amounts of money, and repeatedly looking for more and more dubious ways of filching cash from their playerbase...
    MaxBaconsgel
    edited December 2017
    Cotic said:

Crytek have every right to bring this suit, read the documents that have been presented to the court, this isn't some snap decision on Cryteks part this has been ongoing for several years, ultimately this will come down to incompetence on the part of CIG, if they'd abided by the terms of their agreement with Crytek there would have been no issue.

As to this being bad PR, I have to disagree, Crytek are merely protecting their business, just as any rational business should, and they have hired a law firm that's one of the best in the business, this isn't some frivolous law suit.

The sad thing is this could spell the end of Star Citizen, which would not be a good thing.

Lol ridiculous CIG engine is NOT cryteks engine its amazon's, yes greed does fester for years, I have read the documents it reads like a joke given the swap to Lumberyard.

There whining bugsmashers shows some of their code, hahahaha like anyone could produce a copy of anything by looking at bugsmashers what a joke of an accusation, that alone is enough to have them laughed out of court by anyone who a knows programming and b watched bugsmashers.

And what business crytek does not make games, last game it produced was a VR game on ps4 I had the mispleasure of buying, triple a price, extremely awkward controls and utterly spolit the premise with bad use of VR control which flopped, nor has it done anything with engine it once made for years other then license it mostly making their licensees provide the updates to the engine they ought to be providing, they went out of business, theyre nothing but the shell of a company they once were, and theyre trying to steal money that they dont deserve as CIG have not released any products yet, so its pretty friggin ridiculous.<br />

If they didnt want to get in bed with a crowdfunded company that developers everything in the open in the first place they shouldnt have licensed it, and their entire argument was muted by swapping from cryengine to lumberyard, their license agreement is predicated on only being licensed in the event of exclusive use of cryengine as soon as they swapped to lumberyard both the agreement they speak about and their right to cryengine ceased... however their new right to lumberyard started, as no products were released, its fine, and prominent display means the crytek logo has to be on the page NOT the bigger then the bloody game companies own logo.

They never released any commercial products using cryengine so its pretty silly to try to claim damages.

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Cotic said:

Didn't you know it's always the fault of someone else?

It's Derek Smart or Goons or poor journalism and now the big bad is Crytek, when the one and only constant is CIG.
    MaxBaconIselinScotchUpEponyxDamorsgel
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Cotic said:

Lol ridiculous CIG engine is NOT cryteks engine its amazon's, yes greed does fester for years, I have read the documents it reads like a joke given the swap to Lumberyard.

There whining bugsmashers shows some of their code, hahahaha like anyone could produce a copy of anything by looking at bugsmashers what a joke of an accusation, that alone is enough to have them laughed out of court by anyone who a knows programming and b watched bugsmashers.
    Get laughed out of court so hard that one of the top law firms in NA has taken the case, the guys who won half a billion from Facebook in the Oculus Rift case.

You claim to say you've read the documents, well in said documents it states that CIG were to develop SC exclusively on Cryengine not only that but the sharing of source code is not limited to bugsmashers but also sharing it with third party companies including the guys doing FOIP.
    MaxBaconBabuinix