Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft - Danica Davidson - Blending Books & Gaming to Increase Literacy - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMinecraft - Danica Davidson - Blending Books & Gaming to Increase Literacy - MMORPG.com

It's no secret that kids today are bombarded with distractions, gaming being one of the biggest. Often times that means that more ordinary pursuits like reading slip through the cracks. Luckily, there are people like Danica Davidson, an author whose goal is to promote literacy through Minecraft. We had a chance to talk with Danica and to get a sneak peek at one of her Minecrafters novels.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    As a former teacher, I approve 100%. Tapping into a student's interests is a proven method to increase literacy. Done in a fun, significant way, reading for pleasure, not just test scores, becomes easier, more natural and less of a task than before.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    I was a reader before I was a gamer, for many kids now I am not sure you can say that. Had a peek at Chapter one, the idea of following in your fathers footsteps but with something to prove, would appeal to any boy.
    SBFord
  • BillyHarveyBillyHarvey Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I want to tell you that this is a good practice, that you can combine reading books and playing games. But sometimes it can take a lot of time and we should use it https://researchpapers.io/write-my-college-research-paper/ because it is a very cool resource. I hope I could help you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Large market,likely a cheap license,yeah seems good business.Likely thought of Wow or Fortnite but was handed a large licensing fee.

This is targeting parents who will spend any money on their child,especially if someone tells them it is a good idea and they buy into it.

I understand it is good business to have a marketing plan and a target audience but i still don't like the exploitable ideas just to make a buck off some parent through gaming.

In general,people like to read books or they do not,i doubt there is any middle ground.I like to read now but not books and not at a younger age.This whole last decade has seen a LOT of business ideas trying to cash in on gaming,it is at epidemic proportions,we need to SLOW DOWN on gaming and pushing cell phones on the kids.

IMO books create introverts ,i rather see kids out in sports or any type of physical activity that revolves around being around other people.Everyday i see the young kids playing either soccer or baseball at the park,parking lot is full because all the families get out to enjoy the atmosphere.Imo reading a book is like hiding yourself in a hole and removing the world,i don't and have never agreed with it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlacertutAlacertut Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I love to learn and read books because it is a great inspiration, just like I like to play games at https://csgobettings.com/. I believe that there is nothing wrong and proves it again. ESports is a whole galaxy of special activities, which consists in making money and enjoying what you know how to do cool