Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

#SWTOR6 Celebrates the Game's 6th Anniversary - Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

image#SWTOR6 Celebrates the Game's 6th Anniversary - Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: The Old Republic News - Star Wars: The Old Republic is turning six years old with presents for players. All that is required is to get to the Republic or Imperial Fleet in order to claim the prizes. In addition, players can move to Coruscant and Dromund Kaas Strongholds for only SIX credits (instead of 5000)!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

AriesTiger

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    wow! 6 years since I realized I wasted my money on the CE version of this game and left it.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]SamhaelAlomarRexKushmanGrunt350PhloomKooturAgent_JosephElethon
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    I still remember the people talking about ¨it will be dead in 6 months¨
    psychosiz1eddieg50SBFordGameboyMarcLeiHngWeiMrMelGibsonOctagon7711
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    hikaru77 said:
    I recall that too so kudos for outlasting the deadline.
    psychosiz1MrMelGibsonOctagon7711

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200

hikaru77 said:

Yep and the population is still pretty strong. Maybe they meant years instead of months? :)
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    How long will this be going for. Event wise

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

edited December 2017

hikaru77 said:

Depends on your definition of "dead"

Dead on a personal level to a number of folks? lol yea
    Dead to the general gaming populous and some what of meh? kinda
    Dead as far as the fanbase of the game? probably not

A good example is AIon which is also a nonfactor MMO these days, but people still play it since it's free and like it.

I would still be playing it if............

1. The combat hadn't been so underwhelming; like a ping-pong match.

2. NPC AI wasn't so terrible; it was like walking through a diorama in a museum.

3. Ingame quest items had been phased; at times I found myself standing in line to click on object to complete a quest due to to a spawn timer of said item. A lot of times someone would just run up and steal the spawn and you would be back to waiting 5 min for respawn.

4. The maps weren't so small and annoying to navigate.

5. It didn't feel like Bizzaro Star Wars world.

All these things killed the game for me within the first month. I tried to go back many times, not much has changed.

Alomarpantaro
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    wouldnt say its doing well its down to 5 servers now after 2 server merges its mostly cartel packs more then content be surprised if it makes it another year or 2
    observerMrMelGibson
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    I see the haterade is still being chugged by many over this game. . .
    eddieg50SBFordLeiHngWeiMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Good game, certainly more interesting and a better story than wow-I will be picking up my free stuff
    SBFord
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    eddieg50 said:
    Good game, certainly more interesting and a better story than wow-I will be picking up my free stuff
    It's like WoW with a better/more personal story, but with worse mechanics and less to do.
    AlomarAzaron_Nightblade
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2017
    Honestly, I loved every minute of the main, original story on my Sith Juggernaut. You may call me Lord Wrath, tyvm. :) I've played all the content as it's come out and left when finished. I don't do PvP or "raiding" in SWTOR and I'm not obsessed with min-maxing. I just have fun, enjoy the story and leave when done until the next content push arrives. It's all good as far as I'm concerned. :) image
    AlpiusRexKushmanHarikenLeiHngWeiMrMelGibsonPhloom[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    SWTOR does have great story telling while leveling & it is so much fun too.  What ruined SWTOR, & other games, for me was the proliferation of the gambling boxes which are loot crates in SWTOR.  When those became BioWare's, more & more games are being developed with the gambling in mind, main focus in propelling the game I stopped subscribing, & only play a little from time to time.  I never been into PvP, a little raiding, but the PvE ground is superb.  If I could take SWTOR's ground & STO's space combats & merge them I'd be happy even without neither license.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    hikaru77 said:
    Technically it kind of did.  In order to stop the  hemorrhaging of players leaving the game the original model that the game had at launch changed after 6 months. And the game basically relaunched with a ftp service that incorporate the Cartel Market into the game. 

sayuu said:

It's not blind hated on my part since I know of the true story of why this game didn't live up to what they tried to hype it up to be back in the day. Not all of it was player expectations, but they definitely didn't attempt to talk anyone off the fake expectations ledge and just rode the free wave of publicity hype (something most companies try to avoid these days)

None of you were around or know of the background story of this game; how much back and fourth that was played between Lucas Arts, Sony Online and BioWare during a time when this game was only known as an "untitled MMO project". How BioWare almost lost the project because LEC didn't like what they were shown early on and were worried it would disappoint players and went back to SOE to see what they had, but lost interest in them after they witnessed the debacle of a revamp of SWG. How BioWare completely blew their development budget on voice acting and scoring the music which caused them to make skimp in other areas of development. How they almost shut the game down early on due to drop significant drop off of players, but had always had the back up plan of F2P to fall back on just in case.

It is what it is now, I get it, but yeah it was supposed to be so much more. If you can't understand why people legit hate on this game, then you are new to the scene bruh.
    AlomarRexKushmanpantaroMrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    edited December 2017
    Tiller said:

sayuu said:

It's not blind hated on my part since I know of the true story of why this game didn't live up to what they tried to hype it up to be back in the day. Not all of it was player expectations, but they definitely didn't attempt to talk anyone off the fake expectations ledge and just rode the free wave of publicity hype (something most companies try to avoid these days)

None of you were around or know of the background story of this game; how much back and fourth that was played between Lucas Arts, Sony Online and BioWare during a time when this game was only known as an "untitled MMO project". How BioWare almost lost the project because LEC didn't like what they were shown early on and were worried it would disappoint players and went back to SOE to see what they had, but lost interest in them after they witnessed the debacle of a revamp of SWG. How BioWare completely blew their development budget on voice acting and scoring the music which caused them to make skimp in other areas of development. How they almost shut the game down early on due to drop significant drop off of players, but had always had the back up plan of F2P to fall back on just in case.

It is what it is now, I get it, but yeah it was supposed to be so much more. If you can't understand why people legit hate on this game, then you are new to the scene bruh.
    According to James Ohlen Bioware spent more on engine development than voice acting.

"Ohlen began his presentation by dispelling some misconceptions about the creation of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Some journalists and fans attributed much of the upfront cost of TOR to its scripting and voice acting. Ohlen explained that this belief is erroneous: "[Voice acting] was a known entity, and cost was quite low in comparison to the cost of the rest of the project." In other words, BioWare had been there and done that with voice acting already in its other games and budgeted accordingly. However, BioWare did not have a tested platform to build an MMO. Much of the cost was funneled toward creating an engine that supported a team of over 300 people working on it at the same time and adding choice and consequence to the MMO story. "Don't be scared about adding voice over and cool cinematic content," he advised his audience, "but do be careful about adding lots of choice with consequence because that adds to QA cost and development cost and makes it hard to design everything."

https://www.engadget.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/
    MrMelGibson
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited December 2017

SBFord said:

Honestly, I loved every minute of the main, original story on my Sith Juggernaut. You may call me Lord Wrath, tyvm. :) I've played all the content as it's come out and left when finished. I don't do PvP or "raiding" in SWTOR and I'm not obsessed with min-maxing. I just have fun, enjoy the story and leave when done until the next content push arrives. It's all good as far as I'm concerned. :)

full screenshot? love the armor :o
    medium? light? or heavy?
    Warlyx said:

SBFord said:

Honestly, I loved every minute of the main, original story on my Sith Juggernaut. You may call me Lord Wrath, tyvm. :) I've played all the content as it's come out and left when finished. I don't do PvP or "raiding" in SWTOR and I'm not obsessed with min-maxing. I just have fun, enjoy the story and leave when done until the next content push arrives. It's all good as far as I'm concerned. :)

full screenshot? love the armor :o
    medium? light? or heavy?
    It's Thexan cosmetic armor set from the Cartel Market used over the Heavy Armor she normally wears. It's an amazing set and so well suited my Sith :) It's 400 Cartel Coins.

https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/thexan/
    MrMelGibsonWarlyx

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I stopped playing this when I realised almost all the good looking stuff being added to the game was put behind a paywall and loot boxes. That's what killed it for me. That and collections (wardrobe) being based around the Cartel Market; hardly any collections for normal items found through gameplay.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    I actually quite liked her "normal" armor, but went for this because...pure black....couldn't resist the "DARK SIDE". :dizzy:

MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited December 2017
    I'll come back and check it out. #EbonHawk #PVP :open_mouth:
    Post edited by AriesTiger on
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

SBFord said:

I actually quite liked her "normal" armor, but went for this because...pure black....couldn't resist the "DARK SIDE". :dizzy:

My Jug has the Sith recluse armor which is dark grey. I put in the black/black dye and now it's as black as Vader and I love it!
    SBFord
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

SBFord said:

My Jug has the Sith recluse armor which is dark grey. I put in the black/black dye and now it's as black as Vader and I love it!

My Juggy has Tulak Horde's. I have an Assassin with Thexan's though, as it's definitely one of my favorites :D
    SBFordMrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• tr3techtr3tech Member CommonPosts: 5
    i want to play this game
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

hikaru77 said:

They were right
    MrMelGibson
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I'm confused about their anniversary reward "Valkorion" statue. why would I want to place a statue of a criminal emperor in my house lol