Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Heroes Omega - Three Lessons I Learned From the Gazillion Shutdown - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Pretty well written article compared to some other garbage click bait articles on here. Congrats!
    maskedweasel
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I always thought the entire concept was flawed. Hey look I'm a superhero who beats up street corner thugs whenever they get around to respawning after the last superhero who looks exactly like me left their bodies lying in the street. Oh and there's a story of sorts in there somewhere. Barf. If everyone is a superhero no one is super, or heroic. At least in most action role playing games you can pretend you're not a clone but if you keep running into groups of yourself no so much. 
    I originally felt the same way, which is why I didn't play it on PC.  I hated the premise of not being able to make my own character, but, being a fan of Ultimate Alliance, the console version of Marvel Heroes scratched an itch I didn't realize I had.  

Even, and leading up until the end some fans held out hope that Disney would pass this game off to a more competent and less financially strapped studio.  I guess in the end with Square Enix making an avengers game, and Sony making their spiderman game,  this was more dead weight. 

Who knows if we'll see a newer generation super hero game anytime soon. There are several indie developers creating them, but until we see better gameplay than the pre-alphas and tech demos they've released, it may be nothing more than a pipe dream. 

I'm certainly rooting for a nice, new, cohesive superhero game,  but I doubt we'll ever get one from Marvel.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I really did enjoy getting War machine to max lvl. After that i was pretty much done with the game.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Hariken said:
    I really did enjoy getting War machine to max lvl. After that i was pretty much done with the game.
    Yeah that's both why the game was coveted and hated all at the same time.  You had the chance to play as your favorite characters, but in many cases the characters had some glaring flaws.

I remember at least 10 characters on the console that had bugs from beta that never got fixed. 

Side note though, War Machine was pretty decent on console.  

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    i can count with the fingers of my hand how many full f2p games i wasted money ...and MH was one of those, why? because i enjoyed the hell out of it , and wanted to play as X heroe....its sad because i tho that game would last more , i had still some G to buy 2-3 heroes but was waiting for incoming heroes instead of buying some that i kinda wanted but no that much....sigh now is all gone.

the only ppl that lose with MH closing are the players , disney can go to hell , has been going downhill since we changed century....its sad that it has Marvel and SW licenses....
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Elvoc said:

Its just really sad that we cant get a super hero MMO to last very long, this just seems to be a pattern among these types of games. Its amazing DC Universe is still running..

Champions Online was released on September 1, 2009. Though it has gone through a period of what was essentially maintenance mode the game is now being actively worked on again. DCUO doesn't look like it is going anywhere soon either. Seems a small number with just two, but since the genre has had so few entries to date it isn't all that bad of a survival rate.

Things could shake up a bit though with more superhero MMORPGs on the way than are currently released. It may expand the number of games active in the genre, or just end up with a different pair of survivors depending on how events unfold.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Warlyx said:

i can count with the fingers of my hand how many full f2p games i wasted money ...and MH was one of those, why? because i enjoyed the hell out of it , and wanted to play as X heroe....its sad because i tho that game would last more , i had still some G to buy 2-3 heroes but was waiting for incoming heroes instead of buying some that i kinda wanted but no that much....sigh now is all gone.

the only ppl that lose with MH closing are the players , disney can go to hell , has been going downhill since we changed century....its sad that it has Marvel and SW licenses....

I had a fair amount of G in my account at the end. I got it pretty cheap though, as it was on sale at the time, and I was able to double up on that with a 90% off coupon, so the cost of that in actual currency was pretty minimal.

Whatever. I got plenty of fun out of playing the game over the years. I don't regret the time I spent on it, and that is always worth far more than the money I put into a game. Money replenishes, after all. Time once spent is forever gone.

As for Disney, it is a for profit business. Those kinds of companies make for profit decisions. Such decisions don't always go the way players would like, but until a major charity chooses to release and operate a MMO for profit companies are the only mainstream option around.
  • citan79citan79 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I was very surprised this game lasted as long as it did. I played for a long while and sunk money into it, hoping to understand why people liked it so much but I never really understood. Sure you get to use super heroes you love but it was done in such a terrible manner.

The mechanics were terrible not to mention all the glitches and the terrible control. The sound effects were terrible and it really seemed to have no point.

It is sad when games close but this one deserved it, it was that bad.
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    aliven said:
    Dont be a whale. You will sooner or later look like giant idiot. 
    Whales are majestic creatures, what's wrong with you?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited November 2019
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    I loved the game, I spent money on it and I don't regret it. I played the game early on and I had almost all the characters. It was so FUN! I still miss it to this day.
    [Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Tokken said:
    I loved the game, I spent money on it and I don't regret it. I played the game early on and I had almost all the characters. It was so FUN! I still miss it to this day.
    Sad thing is it's never coming back, and based on that interview above there will never be a way to ever play it again. Even an emulator would be shut down in a heartbeat. There have been petitions, letter, phone calls ect, Disney won't budge on bringing it back.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter