Guild Wars 2 - Competitive Communication – What’s Next for PVP and WvW? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 26,085
edited December 6 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 - Competitive Communication – What’s Next for PVP and WvW? - MMORPG.com

Over time, developers have taken more and more steps backwards when it comes to communication -- backpedaling from Colin Johanson's hype train approach to allow players to experience the content as it arrives. And whilst the PvE releases are sticking to an open approach, the competitive game modes WvW and PvP are being left in the dark, leaving many of us wondering just what ArenaNet has in mind?

Read the full story here


¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


Comments

  • APThugAPThug Boston, MAMember UncommonPosts: 353
    Small but frequent balance patches (Continue to split skills between wvw,pvp, and pve. Continue to buff
    non meta builds to create better counter play towards meta or op builds)

    More pvp game modes besides conquest (optional)

    More pvp maps

    Improve and make Stronghold better

    Improve the weird matchmaking system (I don't want low ranked players on my team they make some of the dumbest mistakes that continue to baffle me)

    More exclusive rewards that you can only get in pvp and wvw

    Reduce lag in wvw


    image
  • ScarranScarran GlasgowMember UncommonPosts: 49
    Communication is awful and it feels like that they would rather be anywhere else than their own forum. Which I can understand if you see some of the threads but the out of sight out of mind attitude is only making the forums worse.

    As for WvW it is a shame that they are intent on letting it die a slow death. Right now alot of people are frustrated and if they keep avoiding the problems then folks will leave in drove and it will end up a dead game mode.

    To me it looks like they threw their toys out the pram when the community voted to get the old maps back. So instead they have decided to not bother wasting any time on it anymore. WvW and PvP is only the tip of the iceberg, they really need to sort out the balance team who are awful...wither that's due to the length of time between balance patches, lack of staff or the amount of changes they are willing to do between patches.....I do not know.

    But it is not helping the matter when things stay broken and remain broken for a lengthy period of time. Rather than fix the problems they are intent on piling more onto the issue's.
    Thupli
  • JacobinJacobin Toronto, ONMember UncommonPosts: 965
    PvP is just an alternate way to farm PVE gear.

    This is not necessarily a bad thing as it provides a reason to pvp outside of competitive gameplay which died out a long time ago.

    I give Anet credit for trying, but you can't take a game that is balanced around many opposing activities (open pve, fractals, raids, WvW, Arena) with only quarterly balance patches and expect it retain a hardcore pvp audience.

    Even hardcore esports games that are entirely built around competitive gameplay rarely last more than 5 years as a primetime title.
    Thupli
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Wisconsin, USAMember UncommonPosts: 211
    edited December 6
    Jacobin said:
    PvP is just an alternate way to farm PVE gear.

    This is not necessarily a bad thing as it provides a reason to pvp outside of competitive gameplay which died out a long time ago.

    I give Anet credit for trying, but you can't take a game that is balanced around many opposing activities (open pve, fractals, raids, WvW, Arena) with only quarterly balance patches and expect it retain a hardcore pvp audience.

    Even hardcore esports games that are entirely built around competitive gameplay rarely last more than 5 years as a primetime title.
    I agree. The PVPers are steadily leaving GW2. They're being very vocal on their way out the door. The server cluster thing I play on 2 of the big PVP guilds left last month for SWTOR.
    Post edited by AriesTiger on
    Viper482
  • PinoXPinoX SydMember UncommonPosts: 71
    They tried early on and failed miserably when it comes to eSport. The failure simply trickles down to both PvP modes in the game, WvWvW and sPVP.
    They will need a major revamp to reboot it imo.
    One of the biggest reason their eSport never really work is the clusterfk visual. Fun to play, pain to watch.
    ThupliViper482
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 33
    it comes for me with a robust uninstall :) why? players bleeding...sadly
    Viper482
  • Viper482Viper482 Somewhere, FLMember RarePosts: 1,730

    APThug said:

    Small but frequent balance patches (Continue to split skills between wvw,pvp, and pve. Continue to buff

    non meta builds to create better counter play towards meta or op builds)



    More pvp game modes besides conquest (optional)



    More pvp maps



    Improve and make Stronghold better



    Improve the weird matchmaking system (I don't want low ranked players on my team they make some of the dumbest mistakes that continue to baffle me)



    More exclusive rewards that you can only get in pvp and wvw



    Reduce lag in wvw








    Sadly all too little too late. This should have been happening for years now. What was supposed to be a huge selling point for the game has been grossly neglected.
  • APThugAPThug Boston, MAMember UncommonPosts: 353

    Viper482 said:



    APThug said:


    Small but frequent balance patches (Continue to split skills between wvw,pvp, and pve. Continue to buff


    non meta builds to create better counter play towards meta or op builds)





    More pvp game modes besides conquest (optional)





    More pvp maps





    Improve and make Stronghold better





    Improve the weird matchmaking system (I don't want low ranked players on my team they make some of the dumbest mistakes that continue to baffle me)





    More exclusive rewards that you can only get in pvp and wvw





    Reduce lag in wvw














    Sadly all too little too late. This should have been happening for years now. What was supposed to be a huge selling point for the game has been grossly neglected.



    Actually, no they have been working on it and theres proof. I am only asking for the continuation because there is still much that needs to be addressed.

    In fact, if you go on the forums right now, the pvp devs have created a number of posts where they are looking for constructive feedback. Maps, game modes (possible 2v2 or 3v3 tournaments and maybe even a 15v15 game mode) talking about increased rewards, and better matchmaking. These were posted just yesterday.

    image
  • bamwallabamwalla MountainsMember UncommonPosts: 165
    Are people really still wondering? This ship has sailed long ago and it doesn't look like it will make it back across the ocean. They have been talking and taking feedback for years, but just because they are being talked at doesn't mean they are making anything come to fruition.

    my toilet has been listening to my ass for years now... but it doesn't mean anything is going to change
    bcbully
  • meonthissitemeonthissite newport news, GAMember UncommonPosts: 727
    I would say who cares but I think that's the only thing keeping this game going at this point.
  • cc70458cc70458 Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited December 8
    I've only been playing guildwars 2 for a year. Love WvW - but PvP not so much. Our team does well when I play on a team with my guild mates, but still my armor, my weapons, even my ascended trinkets are nerfed to what seems like a level 1 character. I'm not terribly interested in a new build, the limited selection of runes and sigils, and of course the way that all the effort into building up my characters abilities is thrown out. Lots of people feel the same. I don't even have all the elite skill options I do in PvE or WvW. The rewards are not great either - progress is painful slow unless its what you primarily play as well. When they throw you on a team with unknown players and little communication it ceases to be fun, and just becomes an exercise in frustration for me. I craft my own ascended gear In game and would love to see a level 500 jeweler added for rings, amulets and trinkets. The testimonies of heroics alone make WvW worth doing - that and the fact certain inscription recipes like commanders require them as currency for purchases. Without a revamp - which should address the nerfing issue, and probably include a built in voice chat for ad-hoc teams, PvP will remain my least favorite mode of play. Just answering honestly here.
    Post edited by cc70458 on
  • RockardRockard AthensMember UncommonPosts: 188
    edited December 9
    It's not so much a matter of communication,but more a matter of the state of the products.

    PvP and WvW get way less attention,and are both way less developed and updated than PvE.
    So it's only logical that players prefer to play PvE more and more,and that in turn results in PvP and WvW getting even less development.

    I believe that PvP is in a much better state and can be salvaged.

    WvW on the other hand has ran it's course,and unless Anet intends to further develop the mode and bring it up to the standards of the more specialized titles that are incoming(and I surely understand why they wouldn't want to spend time and money on this),it ain't got any future.
    It was never much of a big deal,just the most basic,feature-less week long campaign that no one ever really cared about,3 maps,2 very old,1 just old,and a watered down RvR experience.
    Decent,but nothing to get excited about.
    If the population is as low as it is with practically no competition,imagine what will happen after Crowfall
    and CU come.

    Post edited by Rockard on
  • TalemireTalemire Clearwater, FLMember UncommonPosts: 749
    An option to join an open-world PvP server - Something we don't see anymore in games.

    ------------------------------
    MMORPGs are great to look forward to after a hard day of work, but heaven is the ultimate reward for those who live Christ-like.

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.