I am definitely having problems playing games

cheyanecheyane EarthMember EpicPosts: 4,907
edited December 5 in PC Gaming
This is not a post about games in general or a rant about them so don't worry.

I just think I have reached a plateau beyond which I cannot progress. I managed MMORPGs fine with my 12 button mouse and I can cast fast and like the best of them I can play proficiently. The problem is other games like Tales Berseria which I desperately wanted to play but after she was put in that dungeon I could not progress as I cannot finish that part of the tutorial to block the attack. I tried for over an hour by which time my hand was so painful I could not even flex after. I need to get past that point but I cannot seem to hit the buttons fast enough. I use the KB and mouse as I am horrible with a controller if I need to navigate using the thumbsticks. I manage fine if it is D-pad but games that force the thumbsticks are out for me because I move like a drunkard on speed.

I also had to return Dragon Quest Heroes II despite wanting to play it because it was way too hard for me. I suppose 'git gud' is what is going through your mind but what happens if you just cannot 'git gud' no matter how long you try. I know there is no solution and I am aware me posting this is just futile and perhaps a complaint about the difficulty in games as you grow older but come to think of it I doubt I was ever able to do this even when I was young. I started playing video games when I was in my late thirties on PC (Fallout and Everquest) and thirties on Playstation (like FF7 and Wild Arms and Suikoden to name a few) and I guess this old dog is winding down. I don't want to though ...give up that is and be relegated to turn based only games .

I finished Mass Effect 3 on normal though and I played games like Black Desert and Witcher 3 even but some games just manage to completely defeat me.

I want to be able to play the Tales games or even the release of Star Ocean The Last Hope which I bought years ago and was unable to play on the XBox and when I saw it on Steam got so excited then I remembered how hard the combat was. That game has a fantastic story that I so want to experience. I wish there was some way I could manage the combat in these games.

EDIT I don't understand why my paragraphing disappeared.
Post edited by cheyane on

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Charlotte, NCMember RarePosts: 483
    edited December 5
    Hmm. Might be time to do some training. You gotta prepare physically for the game you want to play. Just like real sports. 

Post edited by Wellspring on
    --------------------------------------------
  • cheyanecheyane EarthMember EpicPosts: 4,907
    I love Rocky  <3
    Wellspring
  • ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAMember EpicPosts: 4,077
    You have Carpal Tunnel Cheyane?

If so it s a simple procedure to fix ..
    I think I am starting to have the symptoms but I think it is because I suck really bad at action games.
  • ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAMember EpicPosts: 4,077
    edited December 5
    when i was having that much pain and numbness it was CT ... easy fix .. Good Luck tho
    Post edited by Scorchien on
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus BaatorMember RarePosts: 2,075
    edited December 5
    Why are you playing these games? 

For the story or for the challenge as in the twitchy need to have a good clicking finger movement challenge?

If you are playing these game for the story and not so much for the challenge and it's the combat giving you the biggest problems you could always just cheat and use cheat engine to get by the parts you are getting "stuck" in.

Pretty much all these game have standard cheats such as infinite life/energy etc which can be turned on or off, or fast leveling, add XX gold/cash/creds which general once can be turned off for example once you hit lvl xx turn off the cheat and you stay at lvl xx

That could always be an option other than simply quitting or not being able to play them at all.
    Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

edited December 5
    Asm0deus said:

For the story or for the challenge as in the twitchy need to have a good clicking finger movement challenge?

If you are playing these game for the story and not so much for the challenge and it's the combat giving you the biggest problems you could always just cheat and use cheat engine to get by the parts you are getting "stuck" in.

Pretty much all these game have standard cheats such as infinite life/energy etc which can be turned on or off, or fast leveling, add XX gold/cash/creds which general once can be turned off for example once you hit lvl xx turn off the cheat and you stay at lvl xx

That could always be an option other than simply quitting or not being able to play them at all.
    To be honest I never thought of doing that. Kinda floored really not sure I want to cheat though . I don't think I would feel happy doing that  but you're right though I play for the story and plot more than the combat although actually playing through a game and succeeding has its own rewards too.
    Post edited by cheyane on
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus BaatorMember RarePosts: 2,075
    edited December 5
    cheyane said:
    Asm0deus said:

To be honest I never thought of doing that. Kinda floored really not sure I want to cheat though . I don't think I would feel happy doing that  but you're right though I play for the story and plot more than the combat although actually playing through a game and succeeding has its own rewards too.
    Indeed. 

Lots of these cheat like inf life or energy can be turned on or off if you have trouble in just one spot and some allow you to decide how badly you are going to cheat so you can do just enough to get by and still enjoy the game.

I have limited play time and a huge backlog on games to play with new games coming in all the time so those older games that I know are going to stay at the bottom of the list and I will not have time to get to before I kick the bucket I sometimes do play with CE so I can get through it say in a couple days just so I can experience the story that I would otherwise never see period.

Recently did so with Wolfenstein 2009.

Post edited by Asm0deus on
    Wellspring

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD