Petition rapidly growing for EA to lose Star Wars license passes 110k signers.

124»

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Greenwich, CTMember RarePosts: 4,170
    Sovrath said:

That's why this poll might really not be anything other than a tempest in a teapot. EA might look at 150k-200k people and see them as a small amount of people not worth courting and will instead court the neutrals.

Just vote with your wallet and time. EA is quite hated for a long time, but does that hurt their business?

Just take ME Andromeda .. a lot of criticism and outcry. But it did good business.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/mass-effect-andromeda/mass-effect-andromeda-sales-numbers

and i quote " In addition, Mass Effect: Andromeda was a significant contributor. Full game PC and console downloads generated net sales of $111 million, 32% higher than last year. This was driven by Mass Effect: Andromeda sales captured in the quarter.”"

So if I am EA, do i really need to care much about any petition? Are you suggesting BF2 is not going to sell well? 

Didn't they decide to scrap the team who make Mass Effect Andromeda?  Personally, I don't like the game.  I don't plan to buy another game made with the Frostbite Engine.  I haven't enjoyed any games they have made using it.  Bioware doesn't seem to cater to my tastes anymore.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAMember RarePosts: 27,651
    Flyte27 said:

Didn't they decide to scrap the team who make Mass Effect Andromeda?  Personally, I don't like the game.  I don't plan to buy another game made with the Frostbite Engine.  I haven't enjoyed any games they have made using it.  Bioware doesn't seem to cater to my tastes anymore.
    so? It is not the first time they kill the goose which lays the golden egg? The point is that they still don't need to listen to anyone, except their shareholder.

And you don't like it does not mean much in a market with hundred of millions of gamers.

In fact, the financial success of ME Andromeda shows that EA does not need you. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYMember RarePosts: 2,242
    edited December 8
    Why does no one complain about blizzard's pay to win hearthstone game where you never know what card you are going to get? How is hearthstone card packs any different than random loot boxes EA provided?
    Post edited by TheScavenger on

My adult gaming and mods website (various games, adult mods, screenshots, stories and other games I play(ed) 

http://nsfwgaming.wixsite.com/adultgamingandmods

And my Youtube channel (for nature/relaxation/meditation videos)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

• Jamar870Jamar870 Gilbertsville, PAMember UncommonPosts: 169
    Well in Blizzard case, they created the IP so I think you're asking wont happen. EA is something else entirely.
  • ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAMember EpicPosts: 4,077
    LMFAO ... Blizz should Lore there Wow License huh ... WTF .... Is this real ... CMon Man ... think
    Quizzical
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Greenwich, CTMember RarePosts: 4,170
    Flyte27 said:

so? It is not the first time they kill the goose which lays the golden egg? The point is that they still don't need to listen to anyone, except their shareholder.

And you don't like it does not mean much in a market with hundred of millions of gamers.

In fact, the financial success of ME Andromeda shows that EA does not need you. 
    Mostly I' just asserting my right to say I don't like the game and won't play any more of theirs.  If I were to just shut up and not say anything that would be worse.  This just shows I care.  Wheather it actually means anything to EA or you is irrelevant to me.  It sounds to me like you just want to censor the voice of anyone who doesn't agree with the current model of games and entertainment because you like them like this.  Strangely you spend more time on the message board posting how great modern entertainment is than using it.  When I was growing up I enjoyed entertainment so much I spent all my time with it.  I can't say the game for today or I wouldn't be on this message board talking about it.
  • 03cobradude03cobradude Member UncommonPosts: 34
    My major complaint is that they've tied progression to a pay-to-win system. The grind in this game even makes an Asian cry. A shooter does not need a 4000+ hour grind.  I signed the petition and I hope at the very least they stop the pay-to-win antics. I'd pay for cosmetics and I'm okay with what they do in battlefield (Pay to have most of the weapons unlocked). The reason why I don't care about it in battlefield is because it doesn't take you 4000+ hours to unlock everything, it takes around 50.

By the way, shareholders would notice such a large petition of potential lost customers, negative PR, which leads to a loss in revenue thus effecting stock prices and the shareholders.  In the end if that doesn't happen and they continue their douche bag tactics I will never buy another game from them again. This would be unfortunate as I really enjoy the Battlefield series. I can live without them, other more scrupulous developers will come about and fill in what EA has left behind.
    Flyte27 said:

Mostly I' just asserting my right to say I don't like the game and won't play any more of theirs.  If I were to just shut up and not say anything that would be worse.his message board talking about it.
    Sure .. and i am asserting my right to comment on the futility of your effort. It is a free world. I fully support your right to rant, and mine to be amused by it.

In fact, i agree with you that if you shut up, it will be worse .. because I will be less amused on this forum. As for lootboxes, wouldn't you agree that you rant would have little impact?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid GinnungagapMember EpicPosts: 8,767
    with only 200k goal it wont do jack****, but i still signed it. I can't wait for the day the star wars license gets to the hands of a better company.

• AkulasAkulas GoldcoastMember UncommonPosts: 2,104
    If I'm the queen of England and a petition got signed that 99% of England wasn't happy with how I was doing things the petition wouldn't make a difference.
    Torval

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

with only 200k goal it wont do jack****, but i still signed it. I can't wait for the day the star wars license gets to the hands of a better company.

Better company .. worse company .. why does it matter if the game is fun? If the game is not fun, what company makes it .. is irrelevant.
  • Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,995
    I fear that the only number Disney care about is on their royalty checks. Besides if EA lost it Activision would get it and it is about as bad.

What people should petition about is to stop the license from being exclusive instead.
    cameltosis
    Loke666 said:
    I fear that the only number Disney care about is on their royalty checks.

Why? It is already like that. Greed works. Now the world is full of good fun entertainment (to me at least). Games, netflix originals, novels .....

If Disney wants to be successful, it better find ways to entertain. In fact, with all the f2p stuff, it is harder and harder to get my gaming $$$. Voting with wallets is a beautiful thing, you know. 
  • holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 151
    edited December 11
    Loke666 said:
    What people should petition about is to stop the license from being exclusive instead.
    Again, this just come's down to people who don't know anything trying to dictate what Disney does with their own IP. You have no chance of that happening. Disney, like the NFL, has already worked out that it is more beneficial to them to work out an exclusive license. If it's better for the NFL, where there would be multiple companies like 2k EA and maybe others willing to make a yearly publish and pay for it, for a franchise like Star Wars Disney is for sure going to make the decision that this is the way to go because they would have more intermittent requests to make games using their IP, meaning this deal gives them one set amount they can count on no matter what and they're pretty confident they could not get more than that amount in the long term going another direction.

A petition trying to convince a company to make less money is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

And the hilarity of this others have noted on this thread by the comparison of appealing to Blizzard to do something different with their IP. Just because Disney payed for ownership of the IP rather than it being their own creation doesn't make that reasoning apply any more soundly. This whole thing is a fantasy that gamers are extremely naive and silly for entertaining in the slightest.
    Post edited by holdenfive on
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,190
    Loke666 said:
    I fear that the only number Disney care about is on their royalty checks. Besides if EA lost it Activision would get it and it is about as bad.

I'm leaning with some of the others, asking a company to do something different to what essentially comes down to "their property" isn't going to work.
    They bought it, they own it, it's theirs.

They can do ANYTHING they want to it.

Anyyyyything they want ...

Torval

A petition trying to convince a company to make less money is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

lol .. it is right up there to think that just because you can post on the internet, people will actually listen and change their minds.