So Where Are YOU on Net Neutrality?

FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Algo Star SystemMember EpicPosts: 2,023
It's a simple question. I won't dilute with my personal stance in the OP. I just figured since we're ALL gamers, no matter our political/social/economic stances this effects us all and should be a hot topic. Discuss.
Net Neutrality Poll
  1. Where Do You Stand In Regard To Net Neutrality?6 votes
    1. I'm For
      50.00%
    2. I'm Against
      50.00%
    3. I'm not concerned either way
        0.00%
    4. I'm not aware of the topic
        0.00%

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Algo Star SystemMember EpicPosts: 2,023
    FYI, for those interested - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality
  • cameltosiscameltosis ipswichMember EpicPosts: 1,745
    I am for net neutrality with some minor exceptions. 

I believe the overwhelming majority of internet traffic should be neutral and I don't think there should be any changes to speed/price depending on what type of content you are consuming or uploading. 

That said, I'm not opposed to a small amount of critical traffic being given priority. I'm thinking things like the military, or power infrastructure, that sort of thing. I don't know how you'd practically implement such a thing and I would hope that critical systems already have more robust methods of communication than the internet, but in case they do rely on the internet then I'd rather Netflix was a bit slower instead of there being a nuclear meltdown!
  • dave6660dave6660 New York, NYMember UncommonPosts: 2,645
    I wish the broadband service provider market had some actual competition in the US.  At least I would have other options if/when my ISP decides to start throttling or blocking content I want.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Algo Star SystemMember EpicPosts: 2,023
    @BillMurphy @SBFord

Can I get an assist? I put this in off-topic and it's not updating to the front end. I think it's a kind of important/hot topic. Thanks.
  • GruntyGrunty TexasMember RarePosts: 8,172
    edited November 25
    @BillMurphy @SBFord

Can I get an assist? I put this in off-topic and it's not updating to the front end. I think it's a kind of important/hot topic. Thanks.
    Off topic hasn't been shown in the Recent Discussion listing in over ten years.  People complained that they didn't want to be distracted by caturday, religion and politics posts showing up in their serious discussions about the latest MMO nerf.
    Post edited by Grunty on
    She was grimacing. "That does sound like what America's has been trying to do for the last century or two--get rich faster than the parasites could steal it."   The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing Editor Berea, OHMMORPG.COM Staff EpicPosts: 4,123
    Grundy has the right if it. Best to repost in general.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAMember RarePosts: 5,681
    In my opinion, there is a lot of misinformation spread on the subject. It mainly tries to portray net neutrality as a means to reign in corporate greed. The act passed in 2015 by the FCC to me seemed like a power grab to expand the authority of the FCC to regulate and censor the internet. The FCC really only has one purpose, to regulate the RF spectrum in order to prevent interference.

The type of corporate greed that net neutrality attempts to prevent is already self-regulated through the structure of the internet. Even though there is limited competition at the local level, the local ISP must make many deals with other ISPs to get data from point A to point B. The easiest way is to connect with a regional ISP that connects many local ISPs together. The regional ISP usually has it's own rules in order to promote many local ISPs to connect to them. This includes how to send and receive data across their local network and how to prioritize packets. It really isn't in the regional ISPs best interest for Comcast to limit the connection of packets from ATT. A big local ISP might be able to get away with this practice for a limited amount of time, but the regional ISP may begin to take action including preventing their local network from connecting to their regional network significantly increasing the local providers latency.

What local ISPs are now facing is the extinction of phone and video services meaning the internet service will become their main source of revenue. Due to this they have to adjust their business strategy. It actually works out a bit better for the ISP since they no longer have to give Time Warner millions a month to license their service and can get a flat rate from the customer. What we are starting to see is a value added service for using a particular ISP. For instance get free netflix when using TMobile. Or get Amazon Prime when using USA mobile. Cable companies in particular can leverage this feature due to how they create an internet connection. They can take 32 TV channels off air and bond that RF frequency to streaming Netflix instead. It doesn't take much effort for the ISP, but allows a dedicated 4k30fps stream for the consumer.

What net neutrality does is prevent ISPs from offering value added services. What is portrayed in the media is that ISPs are working with a limited pie and reserving more of the pie towards these value added services. But hard-wired ISPs are working with an every growing network that they can take services away from fading services like HD video programing and dedicate them to internet services instead. It is also portrayed that ISPs will throttle it's competitors which hasn't happened yet. There has only been throttling of high-bandwidth type communication like peer to peer programs, games, and video streaming.

The proposal to make ISPs title 2 because there is no competition is counter productive. Title 2 created the ATT monopoly. The end of title 2 for ISPs is what allowed there to be competition in the first place. The main issue with competition in any local area are the individual local governments not allowing more than 2 or 3 communication providers.

What the current proposal under the FCC does is take away power from the FCC and allow the ISPs to self-regulate again. So I don't really see anything wrong with that.