Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most atmospheric games

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
Which games have the most immersive environments or atmospheres? They can be any genre or time period.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I think that one of the most immersive and atmospheric games I ever played was the latest Resident Evil game. I think it's number 7. It's a horror game with some pretty intense and creepy happenings that got me so involved with it that I actually felt like I was on the edge of my seat in fear of what was about to happen to me. And it's not just jump scares.

In my opinion, they executed that game almost too well. Sometimes I would just not play it because I didn't want to feel the way I knew that it would make me feel. In the end though, my curiosity won out.

I'm curious to see what kind of games/genres/whatever other people view as immersive and hope someone else can recommend a very immersive game that I haven't played yet. I haven't always looked for getting absorbed in immersive games (I tend to be a competitive gamer), but it seems like lately I have found an appreciation for them.
    d_20ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]WoeToTheVanquished
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Atmosphere Simulator 2019. Still in the works but it will probably be the most atmospheric game ever made.
    d_20kjempffGorwe
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Grim Dawn as a contender for the most atmosphaeric arpg
    TillerGorwe
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited November 2017
    Probably Star Citizen,

once it's more fleshed out. 
    PhryAgent_JosephMightyUncleanbwwianakievDragnelus
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Elite Dangerous.

Exploring thousands of light years away from closest colony really makes you feel all alone out in the dark.
    BabuinixPhry
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Deus Ex - Human Revolution
    ConstantineMerusOctagon7711
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    UO

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Babuinix said:
    Probably Star Citizen,

If the game is ever finished, it might just be that, but its a long way from being finished so its hard to say whether its going to be atmospheric, although in terms of suspense, yeah i can see that, not knowing what will make it into the game, or when the game will be made and what ships make the final cut, so to speak, must be absolutely thrilling :p
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    The Soulsborne games.
    ConstantineMerusDrengarth86GorwePr3sid3ntSkr00b
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    TSW
    Agent_Joseph[Deleted User]Octagon7711

I self identify as a monkey.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Fallout 1 & 2
  • MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Journey
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Babuinix said:
    Probably Star Citizen,

I think he was referring to games you could actually play, not marketing videos.

Now before you go flying off the handle, tell me how much of what is in that video is currently playable on the public server?
    esc-joconnorMightyUncleanforcelima
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited November 2017
    TSW - SWL is a grind.

SC...rofl
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Quake 1 with its amazing ambient soundscape, any of the Stalker games, Half-life 1, and the granddaddy of them all Myst.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    The original Metal Gear Solid!
    ConstantineMerusOctagon7711
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    Oh dear, there's absolutely loads of them.
    • Lord of the Rings Online
    • Secret World
    • Elder Scrolls Online
    • Skyrim
    • Grim Dawn
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    • Metro
    • Dead Space
    • Fallout
    • Firewatch
    • Alien: Isolation
    • Monkey Island
    • The Dig
    • Blade Runner
    • Full Throttle
    • L.A. Noire
    • Bioshock
    • SOMA
    • Witcher Series
    • Souls Series
    • Portal
    • Nioh
    • Assassin's Creed: Origins & Black Flag
    • Recent Wolfenstein Series
    • The Evil WIthin Series
    • Resident Evil Series
    • Risen Series
    • Gothic Series
    • ELEX
    • Middle Earth Series
    • Divinity: Original Sin Series
    • Nier Series
    • Dishonoured Series
    • Titan Quest (New expansion just came out)
    • Dragon's Dogma
    • Metal Gear Series
    • Alan Wake
    • Batman: Arkham Series
    • F.E.A.R. Series
    • Dying Light
    • Dead Island Series
    • The Forest
    • Life is Strange
    • Hellblade
    • Any Telltale series
    • New Tomb Raider Series
    • Pillars of Eternity
    • Tyranny
    • Mass Effect Series
    • Dragon Age Series
    • Amnesia Series
    • Bastion
    • Penumbra Series
    • Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
    • The Talos Principle
    • Ori and the Blind Forest
    • Mad Max
    • Rage
    • Borderlands Series
    I could go on forever...
    ConstantineMerusd_20Octagon7711
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Talonsin said:
    Babuinix said:
    Probably Star Citizen,

I think he was referring to games you could actually play, not marketing videos.

Now before you go flying off the handle, tell me how much of what is in that video is currently playable on the public server?
    At least he covered his bases by adding "once it's more fleshed out."

Last time I was on a test center, it seemed pretty anti atmospheric--in the cold oxygen deprived depth of space sort of way.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Talonsin said:
    Babuinix said:
    Probably Star Citizen,

At least he covered his bases by adding "once it's more fleshed out."

Last time I was on a test center, it seemed pretty anti atmospheric--in the cold oxygen deprived depth of space sort of way.
    When I played the controls were so complicated that I lost all immersion and spent most of my time in the keybindings section.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Babuinix said:
    Probably Star Citizen,

I agree but MMORPG loves to hate on Star citizen so becareful
    TalonsinBabuinix
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Babuinix said:
    Probably Star Citizen,

I agree but MMORPG loves to hate on Star citizen so becareful

Honestly, not much to hate on.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:
    Immersive for me is something I can get lost in for hours.

The Bioshock series is one that really pulled me in. It rekindled my interest in shooters as well. The atmosphere and narrative pulled me right through each game and each one is different and brilliant in its own way.

Bioshock 1 was the most raw and gritty in an unrelenting way with satisfying endings. Bioshock 2 is different, less stealthy, much more thoughtful and provocative with and ending I loved. Bioshock Infinite is glitzy and eyecandy in a way the distracted me from seeing the gutwrenching conclusion until it was too late. The ending broke my heart. They are great stories with a common thread that hits on why we have science fiction as a literary and narrative genre.

The remaster resolved some technical and graphical issues and the game runs well on Win10 with an 4790, 8GB, and GTX970.
    Have you played the DLCs for the third one? If not, quit life and start immediately. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:

My immersive game wishlist: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Conarium, MGS:V, Prey, and the new Titan Quest xpac Ragnarok.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Immersion... The story is direly heartbreaking. The scenery, so grim that I, a lifelong pupil of the darkness, felt suffocated by its ever tightening atmosphere. I had my noise-cancelling REAL stereo headphone on during the game, and they have used a 3D sound system to put sounds RIGHT INTO YOUR BRAIN and oh Lucifer! I indeed went to hell, and the sacrifice was my innocence. I don't think I'll be the same person ever again. 

Highly recommended! This wasn't a game for me but a strange experience.
    [Deleted User]Sovrath
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited November 2017
    Morrowind.  Despite the (now) dated graphics and the fact that most of the landscape is brown, it is the most atmospheric.  You wander around a few hours and then try to tell me otherwise. :)

edit: Not always a pleasant atmosphere, as some areas are scary and creepy, but nonetheless, atmospheric.
    ConstantineMerus
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The Division, Homefront: The Revolution, Skyrim.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey