Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The positive CoE challenge:

Comments

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited December 2017
    Dakeru said:
    Ok, you ask for positives so here goes. 

Alpha backers will be entering VoxElyria by the end of the year. Where we will be able to start testing the back-end mechanics of CoE.

The end of the year is on 4 weeks.
    Do you want to bet if this is going to happen?
    A firm date was never given, I perhaps misspoke stating it would be by the end of the year. That is my bad, not SBS's. However, I would be willing to bet that it will be out, if not by the end of the year, very early in the New Year. Perhaps you should take the time to read the links I attached rather than jumping on the first thing that you assume will be a failure. 
    YashaX
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Dakeru said:

Alpha backers will be entering VoxElyria by the end of the year. Where we will be able to start testing the back-end mechanics of CoE.

The end of the year is on 4 weeks.
    Do you want to bet if this is going to happen?
    A firm date was never given, I perhaps misspoke stating it would be by the end of the year. That is my bad, not SBS's. However, I would be willing to bet that it will be out, if not by the end of the year, very early in the New Year. Perhaps you should take the time to read the links I attached rather than jumping on the first thing that you assume will be a failure. 
    True
    It's totally my fault for quoting you on your positive input.
    YashaX
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Not sure why a promise to do something soon counts as a positive anyways, especially when they've already shown they can't stick to their promised dates.
    YashaX
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Tiamat64 said:
    Not sure why a promise to do something soon counts as a positive anyways, especially when they've already shown they can't stick to their promised dates.
    It doesn't... that's why I have my two guiding rules in the first post.

I'll look through Hazes post later and see if there is anything legit in it.  Still too busy re-reading the other Slapshot MMORPG.COM Savior thread....  :)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/22013/The-Countdown-to-VoxElyria-Begins
    No.  Please re-read the OP.  Just 2 simple rules and this violates one.

CoE is partnered with Improbable's SpatialOS which in turn helps to explain how CoE is able to implement many of those features you claim are too ambitious for such a small team.

No.  The tech is utterly unproven and a huge risk.  Once we see it in action in Elyria we can revisit.

Extensive Transparency from SBS, and the fact that they listen to and make changes according to community feedback. 
    See #2 Positive in the OP.

The Community speaks for itself in the sense that it is extremely active and involved even though the game is a year and a half to two years before launch.
    See #1 Positive in OP

The open door policy that Caspian maintains in which you are able to contact him at any time with questions and/or concerns you might have. That is something that I have never seen in other games.
    See #2 Positive in the OP

Regular updates of what they are working on, with concept art and videos to support their progress.
    Already added and provided by Drake and Kyleran

Creating a game for the players that is about the players. 
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/22637/New-Free-Kingdom-of-Elyria-Lore-video.
    Never heard that one before :D

... also see prior response.

They are offering a chance to 151 players to acquire a Noble package that they might not have been able to afford otherwise. 
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/22176/The-Free-Kingdom-of-Elyria
    NOT A CHANCE.   $10 to buy tokens to vote for a king.. LOL.  Also breaks the OTHER (there were just 2) rule.  NOTHING  RELATED TO VIRTUAL CRAP YOU CAN BUY IN A SHOP.

Those are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. 

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Why bother, from the way things are written in your op post you only devalue what players say  with your tone. I am seriously tired of attempting logic with you people. It is apparent you have your minds made up no matter what someone says. And to be honest I am glad you are not part of the CoE community. 

I am done with your forums and your narrowmindedness. 
    YashaX
    Why bother, from the way things are written in your op post you only devalue what players say  with your tone. I am seriously tired of attempting logic with you people. It is apparent you have your minds made up no matter what someone says. And to be honest I am glad you are not part of the CoE community. 

Yes.  Two simple rules were too hard to follow: only things that actually exist (not promised to someday exist) and nothing related to stuff you can buy.

Maybe... just MAYBE they will hit their latest super delayed timeline and release the Mud by January.  If they do and if it's functional and demonstrates some sort of progress we will add it to the list.

YashaX

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Yes.  Two simple rules were too hard to follow: only things that actually exist (not promised to someday exist) and nothing related to stuff you can buy.

Which is why this thread is a strawman - the game is in development.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Yeah but the cash shop is fully functional.
    Slapshot1188

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Jon1812Jon1812 Member UncommonPosts: 6

Maybe... just MAYBE they will hit their latest super delayed timeline and release the Mud by January.  If they do and if it's functional and demonstrates some sort of progress we will add it to the list. 

Your "rules" are ridiculous. An in-development game hasn't released a solid product to its consumers yet? Of course not. If it were done, it wouldn't be in-development. Developing games takes money and time. Alphas and Betas aren't meant to be products, they are meant to be tools used for the development of a game.

Since Soulbound Studios does not have the funding that AAA developers do, selling packages and perks now is a great method to fund their current development, while they negotiate with investors. It is standard procedure for crowdfunded indie games.

They have a great monetization model and a very well-designed system. We don't have access to their materials, because we aren't part of their development team. Until they are ready for player testing, we won't see the alphas and betas. The staff are currently testing VoxElyria and we should see access to it by February at the latest, I would imagine.
    StaalBurghermystichaze

The thread was created in response to the claim that “all the positives “ are ignored.  I figured this would help clarify that.
    YashaX

Nilden said:

Yeah because they are supposed to fund the game with goodwill wishes?
    YashaX

The thread was created in response to the claim that “all the positives “ are ignored.  I figured this would help clarify that.
    I certainly did not make that sort of claim but the positives that those people were saying you were ignoring are probably the exact ones you exclude as 'legitimate' from this strawman-thread.
    Slapshot1188mystichaze
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    It's actually super funny that you label this a strawman thread.

Because by doing so you acknowledge that CoE has nothing positive that exists at this point.
    Slapshot1188YashaX
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:

Because by doing so you acknowledge that CoE has nothing positive that exists at this point.
    What it has positive is mostly hopes and dreams.  And of course things you can buy in the cash shop. The point of this thread was to identify some of the tangible positives for the gamer.   As we go further we may be able to add more to the list.  First on the list is likely the MUD which has become VoxElyria.  That according to the last schedule was supposed to be worked on through Q4 and then released in Jan.   Now it looks like Feb... maybe.  Then we will be able to see all the progress made on networking and systems.  If it’s simply moving your Minecraft figure around I think everyone will be disappointed.  If it’s legitimately demonstrating many of the systems and shows thousands of people connected without issue it would be a clear positive.

Nilden said:

They were supposed to fund the company by using the Kickstarter as seed money to attract an investor.  That apparently has not happened and thus the over the top, ($10 votes for king, buy your name reservation, etc...) continued focus on the cash shop.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Nilden said:

There is a pretty big difference between a couple tiers on kickstarter and a full blown cash shop in a PVP territory game that sells territory... and pretty much anything else they can slap a price tag on.

Having the cash shop before the game is a huge red flag for me.

Then when I consider that all funding raised so far is what Star Citizen spends in a single month...

Yeah good luck with that. Anyone pinning hopes and dreams on this game with any amount of money is probably going to be disappointed.

Who knows maybe 10 grand for Pay 2 King is what some people want to throw money away on and they will love it, lol.

I mean hell they don't even have the MUD done and we are past the original release date for the game, it's pretty laughable.

By all means throw money at them, I'm sure they need it.
    YashaX

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

They were supposed to fund the company by using the Kickstarter as seed money to attract an investor.  That apparently has not happened and thus the over the top, ($10 votes for king, buy your name reservation, etc...) continued focus on the cash shop.
    Ok... so they didn't get an investor. Are they supposed to give up? I just do not get the logic. They want to make a game. They have to get the money some how. Clearly they have found a way to do it.
    YashaXSlapshot1188
    Dakeru said:

I label it a strawman thread because he deliberate excludes everything that people are likely to say is a positive for a game in development for an indie project. He essentially wants a tangible released product as proof... but that is impossible given that the game is in development. So yes it is a strawman thread.
    YashaXCantPlayHockey
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    @Slapshot1188 OK Slap, so here is a challenge for you. Using the same conditions as your OP states, can you list positives for a different "indie" mmo that is also in development (eg: Crowfall, CU, etc)?
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Ok... so they didn't get an investor. Are they supposed to give up? I just do not get the logic. They want to make a game. They have to get the money some how. Clearly they have found a way to do it.
    Yes, they were supposed to give up.  Sometimes you need to admit when a project isn't doable (and that's before the whole thing about CoE not being doable from the start even if it got the money it wanted considering what it was promising).

They didn't find a way to get the money to do it, either.  If they found a way to get the money, they wouldn't CONTINUE to be coming up with new ways of monetization.  The fact that they keep coming up with these new monetization strategies reeks of desperation and shows that their old monetization strategies weren't working.  Their funding numbers might look nice when they post the total funding they've received so far, but considering how long a way they have to go before the game is remotely nearing completion, it's an incredibly high (certain in my opinion.  May a crowdfunded MMORPG prove me wrong!) likelihood that the whale well will run dry before they ever finish the game in any state remotely resembling what they originally promised.

YashaX said:
    @Slapshot1188 OK Slap, so here is a challenge for you. Using the same conditions as your OP states, can you list positives for a different "indie" mmo that is also in development (eg: Crowfall, CU, etc)?

Pointing out something else is trash doesn't remove the fact that the current thing sitting on the floor is trash.  You won't find much positives about indie MMORPGs in general because MMORPGs are anathema to indie development in the first place.  They're too expensive to develop (which goes against how Indies have a small budget.  Even CoE's budget so far pales in comparison to what it costs to make a big MMO these days), and unlike other game genres where you just release it and say "Done!", require ONGOING development, support, and maintenance, which means sooner or later an "indie" developer is going to have to make compromises to keep the lights on even if the game does release.

It's not like CoE is being singled out on this forum anyways either.  If you're looking for threads to bash other indie MMORPGs just so you can feel good about CoE, there's plenty of them all around here.
    Slapshot1188
    edited December 2017
    YashaX said:
    I'm probably not the best person for that (even though I backed both) I feel they both deserve much of the criticism they get. That said... each of those has actually had players inside for years (at least a year) where progress is able to be seen. 

If you want to see what Crowfall looks like you can just watch a current video since there is no NDA. CoE has a progress video that reuses the progress video footage from the prior year...

I also have participated in tests with CU where thousands of characters were on the screen simultaneously. CU also has a refund policy (not sure about Crowfall)

In general though... I think they all deserve their lumps for the development delays.  Some people think that saying "At least we aren't as bad as that other guy" is a legitimate defense.  I'm not one of those people.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I have little hope for this game...Feels like a cash grab from the start.
    Tiamat64 said:

YashaX said:

Pointing out something else is trash doesn't remove the fact that the current thing sitting on the floor is trash.  You won't find much positives about indie MMORPGs in general because MMORPGs are anathema to indie development in the first place.  They're too expensive to develop (which goes against how Indies have a small budget.  Even CoE's budget so far pales in comparison to what it costs to make a big MMO these days), and unlike other game genres where you just release it and say "Done!", require ONGOING development, support, and maintenance, which means sooner or later an "indie" developer is going to have to make compromises to keep the lights on even if the game does release.

It's not like CoE is being singled out on this forum anyways either.  If you're looking for threads to bash other indie MMORPGs just so you can feel good about CoE, there's plenty of them all around here.

Lol, I wasn't expecting Slap to trash talk other mmos, I was expecting him to list some positives.
    YashaX said:
    I'm probably not the best person for that (even though I backed both) I feel they both deserve much of the criticism they get. That said... each of those has actually had players inside for years (at least a year) where progress is able to be seen. 

If you want to see what Crowfall looks like you can just watch a current video since there is no NDA. CoE has a progress video that reuses the progress video footage from the prior year...

I also have participated in tests with CU where thousands of characters were on the screen simultaneously. CU also has a refund policy (not sure about Crowfall)

In general though... I think they all deserve their lumps for the development delays.  Some people think that saying "At least we aren't as bad as that other guy" is a legitimate defense.  I'm not one of those people.
    You are one of the most positive people on these forums imo, and if you put your mind to it I am sure you could list a lot more positives about other mmos in development using the conditions you stated.

Point is, the thread is not a "strawman".
    Slapshot1188