Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The positive CoE challenge:

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    An important positive is that they have clearly found a way to get additional funding. I don't know what their payroll is but right now they must be covering a big chunk of it.

As previously stated in the OP and elsewhere we are excluding anything related to stuff you can buy.  Just 2 rules.  It has to exist and it can’t be something you buy in the store.  

Now if they actually got that investor funding which was so talked talked about then I would list it.   Or if they posted that they are fully funded to deliver all promised features that would qualify. But no... Jonny bought another 1000 vote for king tokens doesn’t count as a positive for the purpose of THIS thread. 
    GdemamiWarLord2424Distopia

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JustDrakeJustDrake Member UncommonPosts: 72
    In engine Screenshots of two of the tribes:
    The Dras.
    The Janoa.

Hiring of snipehunter

'Soulbound Studios announced the hiring of Adam "Snipehunter" Maxwell as the Lead Designer on Chronicles of Elyria. We sat down with the former Rift, Star Citizen, and Revival game maker to chat about what he's bringing to the table for Soulbound's premiere MMORPG.'

Videos of voxel client and how it works alongside the ue4 one.
    This client will allow people to start testing the soulbound engine alongside the kingdoms of elyria game.
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Slapshot1188 said:

But no... Jonny bought another 1000 vote for king tokens doesn’t count as a positive for the purpose of THIS thread. 
    Pure speculation on your part... but what else is new?
    YashaXTalonsinmystichaze
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    Slapshot1188 said:

But no... Jonny bought another 1000 vote for king tokens doesn’t count as a positive for the purpose of THIS thread. 
    Completely (or purposefully, more likely) missing the point, huh?  It doesn't matter if the money came from buying votes or if it came from another source. It still doesn't count for the purpose of this thread.
    Slapshot1188YashaXGdemami
    Tiamat64 said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

Completely (or purposefully, more likely) missing the point, huh?  It doesn't matter if the money came from buying votes or if it came from another source. It still doesn't count for the purpose of this thread.
    I would say getting the game funded matters very much for the purposes of this thread.
    WarLord2424Distopia
    Tiamat64 said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

I would say getting the game funded matters very much for the purposes of this thread.
    Someone didn't read or only read what they wanted.  Makes sense.
    GdemamiYashaXDistopia

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited November 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

Yet you ignored my positives that I posted earlier in the thread...

Does that means you are only reading what you want?
    YashaXWarLord2424mystichaze
    JustDrake said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

I assumed you were joking.  You honestly want me to put "screenshots of two of the tribes" as a positive?  Is it THAT hard to find real positives?  OK.  To make you happy I'll update the OP to include videos/screenshots...  LOL

And regarding Snipehunter we also discussed that if you read the thread.  The guy that was behind Revival (failed crowdfunded MMORPG that just raised money and didn't deliver) isn't necessarily a positive.  We did list the 4 other "leads" 

Your video of the voxel client would fall under the promo video line which is already listed.

GdemamiYashaX

edited November 2017

Wrong button

JustDrake said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

I assumed you were joking.  You honestly want me to put "screenshots of two of the tribes" as a positive?  Is it THAT hard to find real positives?  OK.  To make you happy I'll update the OP to include videos/screenshots...  LOL

And regarding Snipehunter we also discussed that if you read the thread.  The guy that was behind Revival (failed crowdfunded MMORPG that just raised money and didn't deliver) isn't necessarily a positive.  We did list the 4 other "leads" 

Your video of the voxel client would fall under the promo video line which is already listed.

The screenshots show that the team is advancing the game development and producing some nice looking models.

And snipehunter wasn't just involved in revival, i believe there was Rift which shipped and was an ok mmorpg with a nice unique feature, that could have been better but we all learn from our mistakes 

Also can you blame one member of the team if he wasn't in overall charge of development, he doesn't make the ultimate decisions on how the development goes so...

mystichaze
    Tiamat64 said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

Excluding it doesn't make sense. Which is my point.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Tiamat64 said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

Excluding it doesn't make sense. Which is my point.
    A positive aspect of the game:
    People donated

*shrug
    Harbinger of Fools
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    A development team starting with next to nothing earns an Est $68K/mo in order to develop an MMORPG title and we list this as a positive?
    A development team starting with next to nothing earns an Est $68K/mo in order to develop an MMORPG title and we list this as a positive?
    People who donated see it as a positive cause it means they did a good deed!  Join the bandwagon party bus!
    Slapshot1188
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Tiamat64 said:
    People who donated see it as a positive cause it means they did a good deed!  Join the bandwagon party bus!
    To me, that level of a monthly income in order to develop an MMOPG leans more to the negative side than positive. I mean, I wouldn't want to use those figures to pitch my product to the Shark Tank team, that's for sure.
    Kyleran
  • Jon1812Jon1812 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    To me, that level of a monthly income in order to develop an MMOPG leans more to the negative side than positive. I mean, I wouldn't want to use those figures to pitch my product to the Shark Tank team, that's for sure.
    If indie development teams could bring their games to Shark Tank, they wouldn't have to go through the process of crowdfunding them and drawing publishers. CoE doesn't currently have the financial backing to complete the game themselves, however that was never the goal. As a niche medieval sandbox RPG/evolving online world, the game isn't exactly the Star Citizen of crowdfunded games. 

However, CoE does have a steadily growing support base, solid innovative mechanics designed to compete with any AAA game, a clear unwavering vision for development, and a very interactive team of experienced developers. As indie projects go, it is well on its way to success. 
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Just a lil tidbit, Star Citizen is burnin thru 4M a month roughly...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited December 2017
    Jon1812 said:

However, CoE does have a steadily growing support base, solid innovative mechanics designed to compete with any AAA game, a clear unwavering vision for development, and a very interactive team of experienced developers. As indie projects go, it is well on its way to success. 
    Solid innovative mechanics* not just designed to compete with any AAA game, but also as expensive to implement and maintain as an AAA Online game.  They're going to need a lot more money than what they're bringing in right now for that.

*Solid and Innovative are both debatable and often in conflict with each other.  Solid implies certainty while innovative implies new.  The very nature of innovation means that you can never know if something is solid if it's also innovative until it's actually implemented, because until then it's only theory and that's the opposite of solid.
    Slapshot1188YashaX
  • Jon1812Jon1812 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Jon1812 said:

Solid innovative mechanics* not just designed to compete with any AAA game, but also as expensive to implement and maintain as an AAA Online game.  They're going to need a lot more money than what they're bringing in right now for that.

*Solid and Innovative are both debatable and often in conflict with each other.  Solid implies certainty while innovative implies new.  The very nature of innovation means that you can never know if something is solid if it's also innovative until it's actually implemented, because until then it's only theory and that's the opposite of solid.
    Solid mechanics means mechanics that are more efficient at their purpose. Weak mechanics can be widely used. Whether a mechanic has been relied on in other games or not, a mechanic that is efficient at its purpose is solid. Innovative means mechanics that improve on standard means of achieving the same results. Improving on past concepts is definitely innovating. 

For example, most games fail completely at scarcity of resources. They hyperinflate the supply over time. Allowing for true scarcity in a large world like this, through reuse of materials is quite different. In many MMOs, true rarity exists only for cash shop items. Creating a system that allows for a world with limited resources in a way that works is innovative. Creating a system that allows for permadeath (thus creating worth in your characters' actions), while still allowing for long-term progression is innovative. A system that weaves players into unique storylines based upon the significance of their actions is innovative. 

CoE is definitely innovative. The solidity of the mechanics may be a point of contention for people, but the innovative nature of the mechanics seems quite obvious.
    JustDrakemystichaze
  • OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Rewarding imagination or innovation without a way to see it come to fruition is like a participation award, there's no real value or brilliance,

I doubt anything that has been released in any of their gameplay demos are innovative at all. 
    OrangeBoy said:
    Rewarding imagination or innovation without a way to see it come to fruition is like a participation award, there's no real value or brilliance,

I doubt anything that has been released in any of their gameplay demos are innovative at all. 

BTW orangeBoy are you the same OrangeBoy that got kicked off the CoE servers for constantly trolling?

I am sorry if I am wrong, just interested.

YashaX
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Ok, you ask for positives so here goes. 

Alpha backers will be entering VoxElyria by the end of the year. Where we will be able to start testing the back-end mechanics of CoE.
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/22013/The-Countdown-to-VoxElyria-Begins

CoE is partnered with Improbable's SpatialOS which in turn helps to explain how CoE is able to implement many of those features you claim are too ambitious for such a small team.

Extensive Transparency from SBS, and the fact that they listen to and make changes according to community feedback. 

The Community speaks for itself in the sense that it is extremely active and involved even though the game is a year and a half to two years before launch.

The open door policy that Caspian maintains in which you are able to contact him at any time with questions and/or concerns you might have. That is something that I have never seen in other games.

Regular updates of what they are working on, with concept art and videos to support their progress.

Creating a game for the players that is about the players. 
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/22637/New-Free-Kingdom-of-Elyria-Lore-video.

They are offering a chance to 151 players to acquire a Noble package that they might not have been able to afford otherwise. 
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/22176/The-Free-Kingdom-of-Elyria

Those are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. 

YashaX
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Ok, you ask for positives so here goes. 

Alpha backers will be entering VoxElyria by the end of the year. Where we will be able to start testing the back-end mechanics of CoE.

The end of the year is on 4 weeks.
    Do you want to bet if this is going to happen?
    OrangeBoyYashaXKyleran
    Harbinger of Fools
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    JustDrake said:
    OrangeBoy said:

BTW orangeBoy are you the same OrangeBoy that got kicked off the CoE servers for constantly trolling?

Yes, it is Drake.
  • OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    JustDrake said:
    OrangeBoy said:

Not kicked out, I left after talking to serpentius about deactivating my account

wanna see the screenies? Also, Caspian quite enjoyed whatever i posted on the forums, he's said so himself multiple times on the official discord. If I was "trolling" why would he say that and not ban me off the forum while i was there for a whopping 7 months.

Anyway, while you're here, tell him I want a playable demo out of him this year or else  ;)