Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class choice

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

before returning to the game.. 
i need to choose a class

i want one single character..
that can easilly switch between healing, tanking, or doing okay dps
by just switching some skills and some gear..

add to that that i dom’t like staff annimations that much..
but can live with using the healing staff..

what class does allow for such a diverse build most?
and what builds do come to mind?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Sounds like you want Warden or Templar.
    Octagon7711
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    edited November 2017
    I don't know about Warden but it looks like "Templar".

Having said that, I have a templar and I've redone the build sevvvverallll times as I get to a point where I'm wacking away on mobs and some solo or duo comes in and mows everything down like locusts and passes on by.

I'm then left with the "wtf am I doing wrong"?

I've gone from 2 handed to using 2 handed for just a buff and duel wielding which at the moment as I level it up, seems "a little better".

Do a lot of research, especially for leveling builds as you might end up feeling somewhat less than.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sounds like you want Warden or Templar.
    Or Sorc or DK or NB :)

You can do all 3 with any class. You can heal with any magicka DPS even if your class does not have healing skills: you can heal any normal dungeon with Illustrious healing, rapid regen and combat prayer plus, maybe, one of your class ultimates that heals or protects.

Tanking is the wildcard: it can be done with any class but DK & Warden have class skills that make it very easy to build a tank. Other classes need to think about it a bit more but it's doable for all. The problem with tanking on the same character is that it typically needs stat, CP and gear allocation that is a good choice for tanking and nothing else.

That's not the case for healing + magicka DPS (and BTW - that's all staves.) Same gear, same basic stats and same CP allocation. It's dead simple to have a healing bar and a dps bar on any magicka focused light armored character.

I guess what I'm trying to say is good luck with doing it all with just one character. 
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711bcbully
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Warden just got a buff so I would go with that one.  It's not dependent upon the pet and easy to come up with a build without it.  But I think all classes can work depending on gear sets.  Of course PvE vs PvP would be an issue.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Sovrath said:

Having said that, I have a templar and I've redone the build sevvvverallll times as I get to a point where I'm wacking away on mobs and some solo or duo comes in and mows everything down like locusts and passes on by.

If you get any addon that does DPS parses (and there are many of those that do just yours - there are no addons that parse groupmates DPS) you would quickly see that the one skill that does the most damage against either single target or packs is the BOW's Endless Hail.

Most stamina DPS builds for any class are all about getting several DOTs ticking and only then using your direct damage skills.

For Bows that's Endless Hail and Poison Injection and for DW that's Blood Craze + Deadly Cloak. 2HD doesn't really have any DOTs which is one of the reasons it's considered more a burst PVP weapon than a PVE one.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:

If you get any addon that does DPS parses (and there are many of those that do just yours - there are no addons that parse groupmates DPS) you would quickly see that the one skill that does the most damage against either single target or packs is the BOW's Endless Hail.

Most stamina DPS builds for any class are all about getting several DOTs ticking and only then using your direct damage skills.

For Bows that's Endless Hail and Poison Injection and for DW that's Blood Craze + Deadly Cloak. 2HD doesn't really have any DOTs which is one of the reasons it's considered more a burst PVP weapon than a PVE one.
    Thanks, I'll look into that.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I think i will go with the Warden and the morrowind expansion i need to buy.. I might find me a self healing tank with sword and board and bow Using a stamina build... That might be fun... Sadly healing staff is full magicka... Now all i need to find is a nice race.... Might choose imperial... since i have that pack...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

I think i will go with the Warden and the morrowind expansion i need to buy.. I might find me a self healing tank with sword and board and bow Using a stamina build... That might be fun... Sadly healing staff is full magicka... Now all i need to find is a nice race.... Might choose imperial... since i have that pack...
    This Warden tank build I'm linking is geared towards high level play in dungeons and trials (as most guides are.) Some of the skills and some of the gear are things you'll only be able to get much later at higher levels.

But there are basic concepts there too that are useful right from the start (such as splitting your stat allocation into stamina/magicka - you get your + health, which is needed for tanks, from heavy armor and food) as well as some skills that you can unlock and use right from the start.

By the way, the "clockwork city" part is just there to let you know that it has been updated for the most current game patch - you don't need the CwC to use that build.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-warden-tank-build-pve/

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited November 2017

Are you looking ahead to higher levels of play?  For leveling you can pretty much do anything as long as you aren't doing totally silly things like trying to DPS with a healing staff.

For endgame situations you'll notice the following trend
    Tank= DK
    Healer= Templar
    DPS= NB (stam)/Sorc (mag)

Wardens are kind of the quintessential "master of none" but very versatile.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    you get bored with a class fast but they all feel the same, go and look at build videos and decide what looks good to you.
    I actually leveled all the classes a few levels to see which ones I wanted to stick with.  I liked Warden and Night Blade the most. 
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

There is something about the bow I've always liked but the staff in healing and DPS has always been more efficient. 
    [Deleted User]

Torval said:
    I actually leveled all the classes a few levels to see which ones I wanted to stick with.  I liked Warden and Night Blade the most. 

I have a magicka Nightblade that I play as a mage and like it better, as a mage, than my Sorc in many ways. The biggest thing that drags down being magicka is being relegated to the staff. All my ideas about moving forward from the weapon stagnation are decidedly un-ElderScrolls so I won't even post them.
    For a while there the magicka DPS build meta used DW on one bar with dual swords just for the one passive that increases all damage done if you had 2 swords equipped. But that has pretty well gone by the wayside and magicka is all destro/destro or destro/resto again.

They really do need a new weapon line for magic users - preferably a 2-piece one (scepter and book/relic or something like that) since magicka builds don't have a viable option to use two full sets of gear + a monster mask/shoulder set like stamina builds do.

I'd much rather have new weapon lines that all classes can use added than new classes.
    Octagon7711

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

i want one single character..
    <snip>
    No need to add anything to the specific answers above. 

If - however - at some point in the future you start to wonder "what if" remember that with the One Tamriel patch ESO became alt friendly.

Whilst you will still need to get gear and develop skills you won't have to the "grind" for CP points. Level an alt to 50 and they get the same CP as your main.
    Octagon7711