Will A:IR Reignite AAA MMORPG Development? - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SinakuSinaku Austin, TXMember UncommonPosts: 529
    I also dipped out as soon as I read about gender locked classes. Not the game for me. I feel like I have put too much time into Korean mmos to get little out of them as well. I think this is going to be a hard pass from me.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,703
    Forgrimm said:
    I have a hard time understanding why so many people object so much to gender locking. 
    Because I have no interest in playing female characters. 
    So you never played a Tomb Raider game then? Or any of the dozen other games with a female protagonist?
    Not that I recall, no. And it's different in an mmo, when you're interacting with other people. I tried a female character in WoW and the amount of creepiness I witnessed made me realize I'd never do it again.
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,202
    Interesting concept and visuals. Those airships in the first scene made me think of how I envision some of the later Shannara books.

Hopefully the game play will be a bit more Western, i.e. not as mind-numbingly grindy as most Eastern MMOs.

TorvalConstantineMerus
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,781
    Iselin said:
    Interesting concept and visuals. Those airships in the first scene made me think of how I envision some of the later Shannara books.

Hopefully the game play will be a bit more Western, i.e. not as mind-numbingly grindy as most Eastern MMOs.

I didn't make the Shannara connection but now that you mention it, very interesting.
    ConstantineMerus
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus BaatorMember RarePosts: 2,036
    edited November 9
    Biggest gripe is "Asian" mmo so can we expect stamina bar or labor point malarky?  Maybe they will also sprinkle in some lootboxes etc etc too?
    Post edited by Asm0deus on
    Tokken

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• NildenNilden Canada, NBMember RarePosts: 2,265
    I don't like gender locking, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I totally get why it can be for some, though. Hopefully they learn from BDO.
    It's not a deal breaker for me either but a shitty cash shop will be. Any word on that front?
    azurreiTokken

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon
    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• SamhaelSamhael Huntsville, ALMember UncommonPosts: 963

Albatroes said:

We have to be honest here, if they shoot themselves in the foot and make it a pvp only without pve servers then its already a loss. I'll admit AA would've done a lot better if it was handled right in terms of management but it would've still been niche without pve servers. If they do pve servers, then that's a step in the right direction for a majority or at least have similar penalties like BDO where OWPvP kind of feels pointless. There's always a way to handle both and even WoW is doing something in the right direction by doing away with PvE/PvP servers per se and just making it so you can opt in/out of OWPvP and phased to those types of realms (or whatever they are being called) when you feel like participating.

Personally, I care more about the systems after hitting cap since I'm obsessed with my playstyle continuously changing after playing a class for a while at cap to make me want to keep playing it vs the hamster wheel gear grind.

Well, Bill said in the article that it looked to have "everything an [sic] MMORPG fan desires." So that should mean PvE servers! I'm looking for a decent PvE game and nothing out of the last couple of years has been.
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,202
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:

I didn't make the Shannara connection but now that you mention it, very interesting.
    I don't just like steampunk, I like the reasons why magic and tech are put together in fantasy worlds :) Terry Brook's Shannara was my first exposure several decades ago to the concept that magic happens AFTER tech since it's set in a far-future Earth.

Bethesda (at least according to some leaked internal docs I saw on reddit a while back) also seems to be heading in that direction with the timeline they're cooking up to tie their different IPs. According to that, Fallout is first, then that new space IP (as yet un-named as far as I know) they're working on and the Elder Scrolls as far future... makes a bit more sense of all that Dwemer tech around.
    TorvalConstantineMerus
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News Manager The CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 25,833
    Gender lock is, sorry to say, a deal breaker for me if there is no option to play the type of class I prefer as a female character. I simply don't understand why there even is such a thing as gender locking in this era of MMOs.

I guess we'll see once more is known about AIR -- I hope I can find a place since the world really needs a great steampunk game.
    SedrynTyrosvelimiriusSamhaelAeliousValentina

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,781
    I do like most any steampunk. It all clicked with me when I read the Difference Engine. As a kid I had only read the first few Shannara books that didn't deal with the sci-fi stuff directly so I didn't have a magic tech concept in my mind. It was all about mechanical systems replacing digital and huge clockwork computers.

I'm not sure where magic and mecha came in together for me, but it also works well. It does make more sense if there is a plausible lore that it's built on. Simply throwing the two together is just eye candy.
    ConstantineMerus
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 3,605

SBFord said:

Gender lock is, sorry to say, a deal breaker for me if there is no option to play the type of class I prefer as a female character. I simply don't understand why there even is such a thing as gender locking in this era of MMOs.

I guess we'll see once more is known about AIR -- I hope I can find a place since the world really needs a great steampunk game.

From what they used to say about Gender-locking (which I think is just BS personally and just an excuse to be lazy more than anything) is that its just cheaper and allows them to replicate more players at a faster rate when you have large scale battles. If they are going to do gender-locking, it wouldn't be a surprise given BDO and how well received that's been even with genderlocking. To me, its just about them making more money with minimal effort. I do love the "lore/backstory" excuse that even BDO tried to use to justify gender locking.
    SBFordGdemami
  • velimiriusvelimirius PodgoricaMember UncommonPosts: 73
    Woah, judging the trailer its just what i need, fistful of fps in big battles. Slideshows...
  • LustsLusts FloridaMember UncommonPosts: 70
    Nope. It's Bluehole & Kakao. Two companies I hate when it comes to monetisation practices.
    PinoXNildenSirBalin
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,054
    Eastern companies design games for their target market which are eastern gamers who at least in Korea have a completely different set of preferences. Games in Korea are more social where a group of friends go out to a netcafe and spend a portion of their Saturday night playing games and unless my memory fails me, most gamers who I've read about that died due to exhaustion have done so in netcafes. That is why they design most of their games flashy and without too much depth cause they are meant to be temporary and in most cases pay to play not pay to own much like arcade games. BDO and Archeage are rare cause the creator just happened to like sandbox games so he added more depth which is what the west loves/needs. Eastern games coming to the west is an afterthought and they must first appease their target audience and unfortunately for us they don't mind gender locks and some(maybe most) actually prefer playing as a female in that anime heavy culture.
    d_20
  • XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIMember RarePosts: 2,888

SBFord said:

Its a question of generic vs specialized.

Korean developers have specialized animation and armor for the classes rather than generic animation and generic armor.

The Black Desert CEO said that because of this creating a gender swapped version of a class(like Warrior and Valkyrie) takes as much work as creating a brand new class.

Making high quality animation on the scale of an MMO class takes a lot of time and money.
    Pingu2012
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 917
    If they at least make the classes different, like it is e.g. in Vindictus. Then they saved some time and created a truly different class instead. Heck, Vindictus got two classes in one with the different weapons. The gender lock in BDO is pointless however. Wizard/Witch, Musa/Maewha etc. They could have mashed the skills and weapons together and simply allowed you to choose.

My biggest problem with Asian MMOs is usually how the outfits looks. They are often simply ridiculous. There were like 1-2 outfits in B&S out of 50 or so that were bearable. Black Desert suffers from a similar fate, with far less outfits to choose from. TERA the armor was either from the red light district, or so over the top that even Warhammer and WoW get crippling depression due to being outdone. And oftne you get only one part that covers everything from head to foot.

Vindictus is the only one that did it right. It had armor of all kinds across all levels and types, and it consisted of individual parts, so you could mix and match, both the original armor as well as the fuse. The costumes on the other hand were almost all beyond stupid though.

I also wonder why they chose Two Steps from Hell for their trailer. Of course, it's popular as trailer music. But shouldn't a MMO that is this close to beta have it's on music? Especially if they already target the west, thats at best really late in the development cycle. Steparu says Korean beta is next week, so the music must be in place already.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,114
    Neither there nor here,very few have figured out to make a game beyond small gimmicks like graphics or character sliders.
    I have seen absolutely no indication that a KR game will be anything other than an arpg look alike both in meaningless world and lazy spam combat.
    So i FIRST need to see a changing of the guard,i need to see some effort and thought pout into games and not all clonealikes,then i will start to look forward to and hope.

To me it is as simple as a baseball pitcher,if he throws 90mph fastballs all the time,  why would i think he is suddenly going to throw 100 mph fastballs?When i see 1 then  maybe 2 or 3,then i wil believe it can be done consistently.
    BillMurphyConstantineMerusBruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• 03cobradude03cobradude Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Nope, not ever buying/playing a Korean made MMO again. To much grind, to much RNG, to much cash shop.
    SirBalin
  • GrendGrend Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited November 9

SBFord said:

Well I guess you are in luck. In the faqs on their forums, they already addressed the question about genderlocking. The plan is to have the 5 classes to be available for both genders.

https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/the-a-ir-teaser-faq-is-live.43/
    Post edited by Grend on
    ForgrimmSBFordTorvalMadFrenchieSamhaeld_20bartoni33
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing Editor Berea, OHMMORPG.COM Staff EpicPosts: 4,096
    Bingo. Was just going to bring this up. Confirmed that they will NOT be gender locked.

Grend said:

SBFord said:

Well I guess you are in luck. In the faqs on their forums, they already addressed the question about genderlocking. The plan is to have the 5 classes to be available for both genders.

ForgrimmTorvalMadFrenchieConstantineMerus

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 309
    edited November 9

Nilden said:

I don't like gender locking, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I totally get why it can be for some, though. Hopefully they learn from BDO.

It's not a deal breaker for me either but a shitty cash shop will be. Any word on that front?

Gender locking just shows the laziness of the devs...so I wouldn't be very hopeful for the cash shop.

Edit: Looks like Gender locking is out - maybe there is hope ;)
    Post edited by azurrei on
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,269
    Bingo. Was just going to bring this up. Confirmed that they will NOT be gender locked.

Grend said:

SBFord said:

Probably worth mentioning on a future article, since a lot of people never read comments beyond the first page, @BillMurphy :D
    Kylerand_20kinkyJalepenobartoni33

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

• SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News Manager The CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 25,833

Grend said:

SBFord said:

Probably worth mentioning on a future article, since a lot of people never read comments beyond the first page, @BillMurphy :D
    Well, it's not in the main article that way at all. It was just something people were speculating on. :)

I'm happy there won't be gender-locked classes. Warrior / Tank all the way in heavy plate for me then. I'll be watching this one with interest because...steampunk *eyes dazzle*
    TorvalAzaron_NightbladeConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,269
    edited November 9
    SBFord said:

Grend said:

SBFord said:

Well, it's not in the main article that way at all. It was just something people were speculating on. :)

I'm happy there won't be gender-locked classes. Warrior / Tank all the way in heavy plate for me then. I'll be watching this one with interest because...steampunk *eyes dazzle*
    Yeah, me too. After closing in on two years of BDO now, my hatred for the gender-lock has been thoroughly rekindled. Especially since PA can't even stick to their own policy for not creating doubles. Female doubles are okay, but male classes are icky apparently.

And the Steampunk angle is refreshing. I can't recall seeing one before for an MMO. It's probably been done, but not by any titles I remember. >.>
    Post edited by Azaron_Nightblade on
    MrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Summerville, SCMember UncommonPosts: 450
    Game doesn’t look good. Just a bunch of flashy stuff in a trailer like Destiny but no soul, substance or fun.
    JemAs666azurreiMrMelGibson
    ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 - Witch - Path of Exile