Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of New Content Coming Fast - Grim Dawn - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageLots of New Content Coming Fast - Grim Dawn - MMORPG.com

Grim Dawn News - If you think the Crate team is resting on the well-earned laurels of the Ashes of Malmouth expansion to Grim Dawn, you'd be wrong. In a new blog post on the official forums, the team has laid out the framework for the next two patches as well as a peek ahead into early 2018.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

NordicApacheTokken

Comments

• NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Nice! 
    GorweTokken
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Gorwe said:

WASD movement...if only!

Why would they do wasd movement in an ARPG? Are there any that support it that have released?

I really love GD, it feels like Titan Quest which was also a superb game. I'm glad they are continuing to support the title.
    killerqueerTokken
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Gorwe said:

Gorwe said:

WASD movement...if only!

Why would they do wasd movement in an ARPG? Are there any that support it that have released?

I really love GD, it feels like Titan Quest which was also a superb game. I'm glad they are continuing to support the title.

Yes, there are. Victor Vran, van Helsing, upcoming Inquisitor Martyr(wouldn't be surprised if there were more)...

There is NO reason not to have WASD in an aRPG besides regression and laziness. Blizzard being champion of those two(and awesome PR / marketing / CGI).

edit: Point and click is simply atrociously awkward to me. Don't like it one bit.
    Van helsing supported WASD? I own all 3 and never even attempted to use that. I just feel like the genre is better fit for mouse control. I didn't reference Blizzard once, you brought that in. POE is probably the highest played ARPG and doesn't support WASD as well as having the least lazy dev team I've ever seen. As well as Torchlight, another really well made ARPG that didn't support WASD. 
    Ayin
  • darren28darren28 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    WASD in an aRPG? Are you effin nutz? I am guessing you are a very young person. Also look how well Victor and Van Helsing did those games are dead...
    Ayin
    My free 7 day sub referral with other goodies http://www.swtor.com/r/vGSnnl
    Amazon has a much better deal for Sub price just search for this on Amazon
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Premium Pack

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Guardians of Ember has WASD and you can even jump, but click-to-move is generally the norm for ARPG's.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Marvel Heroes support WASD? It certainly has controller support.

I'm certainly on the side of WASD for movement. The mouse should be there for targeting, interacting, and looting. Tying movement into the same button as targeting is just begging for the infamous moba mis-clicks. 
    Ayin
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    WASD is no good. You only have 8 directions you can move in. Using the mouse you have an analogue amount of directions to move in. It's far superior.
    GorweAyin
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I can't get too excited about ARPGs without dedicated servers.
    WASD is no good. You only have 8 directions you can move in. Using the mouse you have an analogue amount of directions to move in. It's far superior.
    I'd say it's quite frankly the other way around. WASD gives the player complete, fluid control over each step and allows for rapid course correction. Not to mention it's superb for dodging projectiles. Click movement leaves the player at the mercy of the game's pathing program (the quality of which varies greatly from game to game, and often by terrain). Overall, WASD is far superior. 
    [Deleted User]OzmodanGorweTheelyAyin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    Aeander said:
    I'd say it's quite frankly the other way around. WASD gives the player complete, fluid control over each step and allows for rapid course correction. Not to mention it's superb for dodging projectiles. Click movement leaves the player at the mercy of the game's pathing program (the quality of which varies greatly from game to game, and often by terrain). Overall, WASD is far superior. 
    Not to sound like a L2P dick, but if you're clicking repeatedly instead of holding down the left button and moving your cursor around your avatar when attempting to evade in an isometric ARPG...  You're kinda doing it wrong. ;)
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    OzmodanAyin

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited November 2017

Diablo 2 only allowed movement and aiming in 8 (edit: or was it 16? either way it was very limited) directions anyway...

As for WASD movement, it makes an APRG play a bit more like a third-person shooter (i.e. aim with mouse, move relative to facing), so it really depends if the game designer intends for the player to be able to move and attack at the same time (which could be overpowered depending on the balance of ranged vs. melee, etc.)
    Gorwe
    edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:

Gorwe said:

Gorwe said:

WASD movement...if only!

Yes, there are. Victor Vran, van Helsing, upcoming Inquisitor Martyr(wouldn't be surprised if there were more)...

There is NO reason not to have WASD in an aRPG besides regression and laziness. Blizzard being champion of those two(and awesome PR / marketing / CGI).

edit: Point and click is simply atrociously awkward to me. Don't like it one bit.

Van helsing supported WASD? I own all 3 and never even attempted to use that. I just feel like the genre is better fit for mouse control. I didn't reference Blizzard once, you brought that in. POE is probably the highest played ARPG and doesn't support WASD as well as having the least lazy dev team I've ever seen. As well as Torchlight, another really well made ARPG that didn't support WASD. 

Doesn't matter. PoE and Torchlight have WHAT in common? They are as clear cut Diablo clones as it gets. Diablo 3 is less of a Diablo 2 successor than those.

And, quite frankly, I've had it with overzealous nostalgia. Just because Diablo 2 had hold Mouse Button to move, doesn't mean MODERN games should have it.

I am talking about WASD to move btw. You aim and attack with mouse and move with WASD. To me it's 10000000x more elegant solution than both movement and abilities sharing the same peripheral device.
    The obvious solution is to support both control schemes, quite frankly. If freaking Marvel Heroes - a game with one of the laziest development studios on the planet - can offer multiple control schemes, why can't more respected ARPG studios? If Master X Master - a MOBA/ARPG hybrid - can offer three different control options with both click and WASD movement, why can't Diablo 3 or Path of Exile?

Multiple control schemes should be an expectation, not a pipedream. Controlling a game should be the simplest, most customizable part of the player experience in all cases and with every genre. Making a character perform an action should be as comfortable and as accurate as possible and conform to the expectations of the player in all circumstances. We've been gaming for decades; I'm pretty sure we've got this figured out by now. Even if we're only going by the release of the first Diablo, this genre is almost two decades old and it needs to start acting like it. 
    MadFrenchieGorweAyin
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 577
    edited November 2017
    First off you have to realize this is a small dev team, building on a 12 year old AARPG engine. WASD will never happen in this game and frankly thank god. But research the game to see what it truly is before whining about control scheme. Its the standard bearer control scheme for AARPG's since the dawn of the genre frankly. And exactly ZERO attempted AARPG's with WASD movement have had the success of those with mouse click movement. Marvel Heroes not a chance its a pathetic joke of a game and terrible company that will be lucky if the game is open until the end of the month. Victor Vran and Van Helsing, their sales are minuscule compared diablo, torchlight, POE, and Grim Dawn. There is actual proof sales number wise its not even worth the effort because an overwhelming majority of players of the genre prefer mouse click because its the norm for it.

Though you can rejoice you might get your wish since the next patch is beginning the revamping for controller support with an eye to moving towards console release.
    Ayin
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    Path of exile is probably better and its free and MU legend is releasing soon.
    i buy very few games these days cause most suck and the devs. dont care cause enough people are duped and they have enough money backing them to push their conditioning.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Finally got around to playing Grim Dawn.

Only one person can talk to an NPC in multiplayer. The other person misses out on all the dialogue. All the voice acted dialogue.

So if you wanted to say co-op with a friend your first time through, one of you is going to miss out on all the story and dialogue choices for quests.

I'm baffled as to how the game is designed like this. Completely ruins the entire experience for me.
    [Deleted User]
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    Panther2103 said:

I really love GD, it feels like Titan Quest which was also a superb game.
    Well, it feels like TQ, because both games share the same engine.

acidblood said:

Diablo 2 only allowed movement and aiming in 8 (edit: or was it 16? either way it was very limited) directions anyway...

As for WASD movement, it makes an APRG play a bit more like a third-person shooter (i.e. aim with mouse, move relative to facing), so it really depends if the game designer intends for the player to be able to move and attack at the same time (which could be overpowered depending on the balance of ranged vs. melee, etc.)

... and Diablo 2 is an ancient game that wasn't 3D. No idea what your point is. The limited movement is because it's old.

Aeander said:

Well, when you need to pick up something or attack something that's located on the other side of the screen at a 25 degree angle from your position.. we'll see who gets it or kills it first.

Mouse users can head straight for it. WASD users have to go diagonal for a bit..then towards it. It takes longer and adds a ton of redundancy over time.

There's nothing better for improving your DPS than starting the fight 1 or 2 seconds sooner. I'd have killed whatever it is before you even get to it.
  • LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:

Gorwe said:

Gorwe said:

WASD movement...if only!

Doesn't matter. PoE and Torchlight have WHAT in common? They are as clear cut Diablo clones as it gets. Diablo 3 is less of a Diablo 2 successor than those.

And, quite frankly, I've had it with overzealous nostalgia. Just because Diablo 2 had hold Mouse Button to move, doesn't mean MODERN games should have it.

I am talking about WASD to move btw. You aim and attack with mouse and move with WASD. To me it's 10000000x more elegant solution than both movement and abilities sharing the same peripheral device.
    The obvious solution is to support both control schemes, quite frankly. If freaking Marvel Heroes - a game with one of the laziest development studios on the planet - can offer multiple control schemes, why can't more respected ARPG studios? If Master X Master - a MOBA/ARPG hybrid - can offer three different control options with both click and WASD movement, why can't Diablo 3 or Path of Exile?

Multiple control schemes should be an expectation, not a pipedream. Controlling a game should be the simplest, most customizable part of the player experience in all cases and with every genre. Making a character perform an action should be as comfortable and as accurate as possible and conform to the expectations of the player in all circumstances. We've been gaming for decades; I'm pretty sure we've got this figured out by now. Even if we're only going by the release of the first Diablo, this genre is almost two decades old and it needs to start acting like it. 
    Marvel Heroes Omega don't support WASD movement.
    There is a guide on the forums about downloading a Virtual Joystick and configure that to use WASD, but that's it. WASD movement is not supported by Marvel Heroes.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    By 3D MMO, do you mean over the shoulder/third person MMOs?  That's a completely different perspective that really requires simultaneous use of both keyboard and mouse to be effectively precise.  Isometric is a different beast altogether.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Gorwe said:

Gorwe said:

WASD movement...if only!

The reason could be that they don't want to spend the time and resources to add in a what amounts to a niche control scheme for that type of game that will appeal to a small fragment of their audience. Some things just aren't worth the effort.