What graphics do you like or dislike and why

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus UtrechtMember RarePosts: 2,026
    kitarad said:
    I like anime style because I watch a tonne of anime the art style is one I love. I love cartoons of all type actually I don't have a dislike for any art style because an art style is only as good as the message it wants to deliver. I have watched some bad looking cartoon or anime that have had a fantastic story that in the end I fell in love with the art too and it became something I can instantly recognize.

Hating a style just because you dislike how it looks will deprive one of some great stories so no I don't really have any art style I truly dislike.

Some stories like anime Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica has such deep frightening themes and I would  never have watched it if I just dismissed it for the art style.

All games must first and foremost be engaging and worth playing before I worry about the art style. I can take any art style if the game is good enough.

My husband and son watch anime and cartoons too my husband never used to watch any anime but I got him to watch and now he watches them on the TV . I think he was quite surprised how very wide and eclectic the choice of anime really can be.

I would never have even known what Karuta is if I had not watched Chihayafuru. Anime has taught me so many things about other cultures and opened me up to stories I would never have experienced.

People generally associate little girls dressed as grown ups to anime but  anime has many many different styles within it but without exposing yourself to the anime you would not know that.
    Image result for karuta chihayafuru

Chihayafuru has none of the the things you all associate with anime. Neither does Stein's Gate a mind boggling scifi.
     Okay I take that back about Stein's gate I just remembered the cat cafe.

https://kotaku.com/the-massive-world-of-steins-gate-explained-1753728099

Image result for steins gate

I have never actually bothered with classical music until I watched Nodame Cantabile. I challenge you to find the type of things you associate with anime in that anime. I even began to recognize classical pieces.

Image result for nodame cantabile

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Chicago, ILMember UncommonPosts: 343
    Anything Asian.  Hate it.  Oversized weapons.  Hate it.  Bikini Armor.  Hate it.  Above all else what I hate the most, and I know its technically not a style/them, I hate clipping.  Its lazy.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I like whatever I like, basically.

By that, I mean I don't have any particular general preference of graphic style, but may have preferences within a style. What bothers me most is poor execution.

For example, while the general style of graphics in Neverwinter were fine to me, but they had a huge problem with clipping of very basic things, such as fingers through gloves. This caused me to dislike the graphics of the game as the more I looked the more such issues I found.

I suppose the more complex graphics get the more the potential for glitches, so I tend to prefer simplicity over complexity within any given style.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne UKMember RarePosts: 3,441
    edited November 4
    I think world design is more important than graphics. I mean.. take LOTRO or GW2 for example.. if you judge the graphics, such as the character models, it looks kind of dated now.. but if you look at world design the game looks awesome. It's a good 'package'.

If they get the world design wrong then no amount of tessellation or modern shader tech is going to save it.

Black Desert is an example of a game that gets both right. Shame it's not my type of game. 

Style wise, I'm easy. I can learn to like any style as long as it fits the tone of the game. Like.. Wildstar, wacky art style for a wacky sense of humour. I wish WoW was a bit more realistic since the ongoing story is extremely serious. I didn't like Dishonoured's style. It's cartoony for the sake of it. Nothing about the game's themes and gameplay suit that style. Same with Bioshock. I think both those games would be better if they had a more mature style.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHMember RarePosts: 3,710
    I'm so sick of the korean MMOs with the lolis and generic art style.
  • anemoanemo Member UncommonPosts: 1,226
    When it comes to Graphics in an MMO...   I'll stay away from anything that tries to be realistic or on the technical edge.   Since it'll look like crap in a year or two (MMOs are supposed to have the capability to be a decade thing), and when it comes to being on the technical edge it probably also means that the devs are going to purposefully set up the game to utterly avoid any way to get more than a handful of characters on the screen.

When it comes to theming and similar.   I can't really get into over sized weapons as a normal case.   Seriously if you're lugging and swinging that sword around you're better off taking a 1000ft/lb draw weight bow and being able to shoot arrows through tank armor. 
    Jean-Luc_PicardSteelhelm

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ianicusianicus Calgary, ABMember UncommonPosts: 629
    questions like this about personal opinions kinda drive me nuts. In the end people are going to like what they like be cause they do, and they really dont need to ok that with anyone. Its a fair question, I just fail to see the point of it.
    Steelhelm
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,114
    I feel since i loved FFXi a low end graphic game,it really proves that as long as the graphics are ok,the game play matters way more.Now obviously that was released back in 2002 so i wouldn't expect to see 2017 graphics.

Fast forward,i do expect to see games now looking better and graphics covers a lot of area,not just the superficial idea i see so often "art style".You can like an art style but that can still look awful,so the simple excuse of "art style" doesn't cut it.

A perfect example was Zelda 2 ,it was a nice EXCUSE to say they were aiming for that "nostalgic look"too bad it still looked like crap.On the flip side,an animated Pixxar production could aim for that nostalgic or cartoony look but their offering will look professional,it will look awesome.I used Zelda 2 as a target because it was given unjust high scores as well being a single player game,there was no excuse for needing low end graphics to support 150 man battles.

Still in the end ,game play does matter,however you have to portray what the game play is doing through visuals....graphics...3d animations,color,lighting etc etc,so it does matter in 2017.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Algo Star SystemMember RarePosts: 1,972
    edited November 5
    I absolutely hate overdone big eyed loli pantsu anime. I prefer more serious styling like Ninja Scroll.

What I hate more than ANYTHING is the hyper realistic/literal graphic styles and animations. It's not exciting at all and also gets dated very fast. 
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
  • DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIMember RarePosts: 1,674
    I like the way most AAA Asian MMOs look (Black Desert, Aion, ArcheAge, Bless etc), but cannot stand the strange fetish-like characters, e.g., little girls in school outfits, cute animals, male warriors with perfectly trimmed eyebrows, flowing hair, and soft skin...
    Jean-Luc_PicardConstantineMerus
    4ft Gaming Mouse Pad - www.mouserpad.com
  • TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INMember RarePosts: 5,402
    Cant stand:
    !. pixels/Voxels (ie minecraft graphics)
    2. Anime (ie 12 year old girls with huge boobs)
    Agent_Joseph
  • Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,914
    Eldurian said:
    SWTOR went for "stylized realism". At least that is the term they were using for it in all the videos promoting the game before release. So not so much realism, but more realism than say... WoW.
    No, they went for clone wars animated which still is cartoony even if it is a different way then Wows. Lets call the style CGI or something, anything without the "realism" word in.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,081
    kitarad said:

I have never actually bothered with classical music until I watched Nodame Cantabile. I challenge you to find the type of things you associate with anime in that anime. I even began to recognize classical pieces.

I've never heard of this. Caught some scenes on youtube. Going to check it out further as I love classical music. Thanks for this.

• CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAMember RarePosts: 5,666
    I always considered graphics to be in 3 different camps. Stylized, Realistic, or a combination of the two. For me the combination is usually doing things that translate better, like doing stylized silhouettes with realistic texturing techniques. Or doing limited color palettes. As a person who has worked with Indie companies, I hate the wishy washy combined stylized realistic graphics the most. Before 2010, you had to go with a stylized approach since the technology was not there to do realistic graphics well. Such as with EQ2. Today I prefer realistic graphics with a dark style. I hate the big swords and fighting monsters crotches.
    My top MMOs for graphics would currently be Black Desert and Granado Espada. Age of Conan was also well done. I have not played many mmos in the last few years.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 963
    I'm pretty open-minded on artistic style, I suppose.  I don't really get the cat ears and tails on human-like characters, though.

What I can't stand is the isometric or 2D / 2.5D stuff.  Now that we have 3D, there's no way I'm going back to that crap. (Exceptions being made for going back to play an old game developed in that era, of course.)
  • kitaradkitarad RomeMember EpicPosts: 3,700
    Sovrath said:
    kitarad said:

I've never heard of this. Caught some scenes on youtube. Going to check it out further as I love classical music. Thanks for this.
    The thing I also liked was how they explained the pieces within the story and the complete differences between her style and Chiaki's. For a person like me who only knows classical music as background scene for some dramatic or battle scene in a movie to end up replaying bits of the anime just to listen to it again is quite a discovery.
    Sovrath

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,610
    edited November 5

Black Desert is an example of a game that gets both right. Shame it's not my type of game.
    The landscape graphics of Black Desert's open world are in my opinion among the best, if not the best of the industry. But there are some classes of the game I just can't play because of the armor design. Way too "Manga-ish" for me.
    I'd love a game with BDO's world graphics and ESO's character/armor designs (and character development :P). Basically ESO with BDO's open, zoneless world (and eventually crafting and node system).
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    edited November 5
    Loke666 said:
    Eldurian said:
    SWTOR went for "stylized realism". At least that is the term they were using for it in all the videos promoting the game before release. So not so much realism, but more realism than say... WoW.
    No, they went for clone wars animated which still is cartoony even if it is a different way then Wows. Lets call the style CGI or something, anything without the "realism" word in.
    I actually agree with their label

SWTOR

World of Warcraft

Wildstar

SWTORs art style (particularly in regards to player characters) is a fairly realistic depiction that has been given a little bit of stylism. Where games like WoW and Wildstar full on embrace the cartoony aspect of their game.

"Stylized realism" seems an appropriate label in that it is the compromise between full realism like say Star Citizen (recent) and LotRO (older), and full cartoon like WoW, Wildstar, or Crowfall.

It also seems a meaningful distinction to me in that I heavily prefer SWTORs graphics over all of the titles cartoony titles just listed except Crowfall (And I'm sure if SWTOR was being developed right now as opposed to an aging game like I'd still prefer it over Crowfall's) and I tend to prefer realism over cartoony.
    Post edited by Eldurian on
  • ScotScot UKMember RarePosts: 6,522
    We are suckers for graphics, new games can have loot boxes, dlc libraries on launch day and crap gameplay...but as long as the graphics are good we give them a pass. Style over substance all the way.

I am not a fan of cartoon looking myself, but done "realistically" the anime look is great, quite refreshing after so many western European looking MMOs.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy? :P

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,081
    ianicus said:
    questions like this about personal opinions kinda drive me nuts. In the end people are going to like what they like be cause they do, and they really dont need to ok that with anyone. Its a fair question, I just fail to see the point of it.
    And that's why the question is asked. It's not about prying or lording one style over another but a discussion on aesthetics (or, in the case of "graphics" technical construction of what you are seeing) an insight into what makes for great art design and why this is important to the player.

Just like the time I went to a modern dance performance with an uncle of mine one of the pieces used was "Threnody for the victims of hiroshima" by Krzysztof Penderecki.

He stated that he hated "modern music" (not really modern anymore) and I asked him why. "No melody, nothing to follow, all dissonance". I asked him to watch the performance and listen to the music in a different way, especially as it pertained to what was going on in the performance.

At the end of the performance he acknowledged that he "got it" and felt it was very powerful.

These are the types of discussions that can carry real weight on a forum.

Or, we can go around and around arguing the same 3 points over and over again. It wouldn't be much of a forum then.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Cambridge, MAMember UncommonPosts: 1,032
    I definitely prefer the SWTOR. I also liked the Bless online graphics that was in post today, I like archeage and BDO. I prefer as close to realism as possible as it is most immersive. 

It's why I kind of like Conan exiles. I wonder, if I play in single player mode offline, I can crank the graphics way up right?

Cryomatrix
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I absolutely hate WOW cartoon type of graphics. I tried to play WOW but only got one character to level 30 and had to quit because of the art style. I even regret playing for that long. That's how much I hate that graphics style. I really hate it.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    Scot said:
    We are suckers for graphics, new games can have loot boxes, dlc libraries on launch day and crap gameplay...but as long as the graphics are good we give them a pass. Style over substance all the way.

I am not a fan of cartoon looking myself, but done "realistically" the anime look is great, quite refreshing after so many western European looking MMOs.
    For me, while I enjoy the graphics, I will play a good game with bad graphics (For instance Wurm Online.)

The issue is that so many people won't that graphics have one major benefit over visual appeal to me. Viability of the game. That's why these days when I see a game like Project Gorgon, Pathfinder Online, or Planescape I'm like.... "Eh, I'll pass."

Because I know that even if I end up loving the game and it's mechanics, the game will never be successful. 
  • AshaiaAshaia CologneMember UncommonPosts: 29
    I like:

- Artistic Comic/Cartoon style (timeless, not the exagerated ones, but the more serious (see examples below)
    - Cel Shading (time less, also see Comic/cartoon style)
    - Realistic (but the disadvantage is that over time this graphics tend to become outdated)

I would like to see a D&D or The Dark Eye / Das Schwarze Auge MMORPG visualized by a combination of artistic, mature Comic style in cel shading optic for 3D effects... that would be great: and also timeless

Comic template taken from series "Forgotten Realms":

see some examples: https://www.google.de/search?biw=1920&bih=918&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=KZ__WfXFKujPgAa57rD4DQ&q=drizzt+do'urden+comic&oq=drizzt+do'urden+comic&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.7944.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0._n9Hi3kHwSM

with cel-shading (example taken from "Prince of Persia" from Ubisoft of 2008 (!!!, still looks good and fluid due to cel-shading optic):

see also: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/prince-of-persia/

hnliches Foto
    Sovrath
  • MoiraeMoirae New Orleans, LAMember RarePosts: 3,233
    In graphics preferences, I prefer styles like Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition (though some of the color designs could have been way better. Red and blue together? Hideous). I loath anime anything. And I don't like the water colorish style of Borderlands (seriously, it looks like paint by number).