Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can it happen?

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They are heavy into marketing terms and in-game terms that means people have to learn the in-game language in order to understand what's going on.  One thing I remember from marketing is that you don't sell the steak you sell the sizzle.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    They are heavy into marketing terms and in-game terms that means people have to learn the in-game language in order to understand what's going on.  One thing I remember from marketing is that you don't sell the steak you sell the sizzle.
    yes they are a marketing juggernaut. In fact they are better at marketing then at actual deployment.

However, of the game feature ideas that they have put forth which one of those ideas (as ideas) would you consider a revolutionary idea and why.

A few have answered that question rather well, most have not.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    Revolutionary is when something almost completely changes the way in which things were done before it.

ie: Computers and Robotics revolutionized manufacturing.

Has Star Citizen done anything revolutionary?

I fail to see anything that you can classify as revolutionary yet.
    ideas can be revolutionary, if they weren't nobody would ever get elected. 

Lets get off this tit fantasy that ideas can not be revolutionary 

'thats a revolutionary idea' appears to be a phrase you have never heard of?
    Well duh

Everything that was, is, or going to to be, starts as an idea.

Including the example I gave.

Getting elected was revolutionary around 2500 years ago, back in Ancient Greece. Today not so much.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    Revolutionary is when something almost completely changes the way in which things were done before it.

Well duh

Getting elected was revolutionary around 2500 years ago, back in Ancient Greece. Today not so much.
    so....what idea from the marketing of SC do you consider to be revolutionary as an idea? if any

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

Well duh

so....what idea from the marketing of SC do you consider to be revolutionary as an idea? if any
    Crowdfunding? Presales? Microtransactions? Conventions?

As far as I am aware, these things have all been done before. Did SC create any of these things? or did they adopt them?

Revolutionary = Game Changer.

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

Well duh

As far as I am aware, these things have all been done before. Did SC create any of these things? or did they adopt them?

so that is a no? nothing about the game features you consider to be revolutionary idea.

ok that is a perfectly fair answer.

now....which games in the market place have similar ideas or have actually done?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2017
    laserit said:the

The crowd funding model continues to stand out, no other game comes remotely close to it in terms of scale, longevity or player loyalty. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2017
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:the

The crowd funding model continues to stand out, no other game comes remotely close to it in terms of scale, longevity or loyalty. 

crowd funding is not really a revolutionary idea anymore, its now more common place that has prooven itself to be revolutionary.

So as I say, I understand your answer is no. basically. so anything else you would like to add?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

Well duh

so that is a no? nothing about the game features you consider to be revolutionary idea.

now....which games in the market place have similar ideas or have actually done?
    All of them.

For example every PC game in history has had the idea of displaying graphics on screen. Lately the idea that you can also play audio during the game has been really popular.

You'll have to be more specific about which idea you're talking about to get anything but an inane answer.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Many of the posters in the SC forum may know a lot about the drama surrounding the project but know very little about the design behind the actual game.
    Gdemami
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Many of the posters in the SC forum may know a lot about the drama surrounding the project but know very little about the design behind the actual game.
    ah I see that would explain the answers

laserit said:

That is more the definition of a disruptor, which SC really isn't either.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    laserit said:

isnt that concern over semantics being intentionally distracting? I wonder why you do that

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    SEANMCAD said:
    ah I see that would explain the answers
    But to be fair the design of SC is spread across a lot of places, very hard by self to get a good idea of it without researching it.

So yeah the answers here show what people know is the overall picture of its design but hardly something in-depth.
    Gdemami
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:

isnt that concern over semantics being intentionally distracting? I wonder why you do that
    My anal retentiveness over the correct usage or understanding of words and terms is well known, if not always appreciated.

laseritTalonsin

Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:

My anal retentiveness over the correct usage or understanding of words and terms is well known, if not always appreciated.

you can replace "revolutionary' with 'disruptive' on every point or question made in this thread and think the questions would all still have the same meaning.

but you already answered the question, you think SC has no revolutionary/disruptive ideas. Ok, I got you marked.

but I do wonder why you really do things like you do, ever ask yourself that question?

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

Well duh

You want to fly, walk, drive, boat, submarine, fight on an Earth size planet?

They are not classified as games, so does that disqualify them?

https://prepar3d.com/
    http://titanim.net/www/
    http://www.outerra.com/index.html

None of these examples are revolutionary either.

I believe many people get confused between "revolutionary" and "evolutionary". 

Revolutionary = Game Changer

laserit said:
    one?

dude! you already answered the question who are you debating with and on what subject?

I get it...nothing about SC you find 'revolutionary' 'disruptive' 'evolutionary' ok i got it.

stop..your answer is already in the spreadsheet so to speak.

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    one?

dude! you already answered the question who are you debating with and on what subject?

I get it...nothing about SC you find 'revolutionary' 'disruptive' 'evolutionary' ok i got it.

Dude! you asked questions.

I answered them.

edited November 2017
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    one?

Dude! you asked questions.

I answered them.
    yes you answered the question a long time ago and keep answering the same question and then keep debating it but I am not debating your answer! 

I get it you consider nothing in SC to be revolutionary, disruptive or evolutionary.

no question in this reply
    laserit

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    While an idea/feature can be revolutionary, the ideas/features of Star Citizen really aren't revolutionary.

What can be considered revolutionary, is the scale that they are trying to achieve. That is something that hasn't been really done before.

If they announced that they've replaced the renderer, with a real time Ray tracing renderer, that would be revolutionary.
    Rosenborg said:
    While an idea/feature can be revolutionary, the ideas/features of Star Citizen really aren't revolutionary.

What can be considered revolutionary, is the scale that they are trying to achieve. That is something that hasn't been really done before.

If they announced that they've replaced the renderer, with a real time Ray tracing renderer, that would be revolutionary.
    so your answer is also no that you do not think any of the features in SC to be revolutionary. The scope itself perhaps but not the features.

ok fair enough, glad to get a straight answer

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    SEANMCAD said:

....ever heard the phrase in context of an idea that never came to fruition?
    MaxBacon
    Gdemami said:
    SEANMCAD said:

....ever heard the phrase in context of an idea that never came to fruition?
    yes of course!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    SEANMCAD said:
    yes of course!

...examples?
    MaxBacon