Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

322,000 Players Banned Since Launch, 6k-13 Per Day - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

image322,000 Players Banned Since Launch, 6k-13 Per Day - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - MMORPG.com

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds News - According to BattlEye, between 6,000 and 13,000 players are being banned from PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds per day. Since launch, 322,000 players have been booted from the game for any number of reasons from using third party programs to exploits and more. The BattlEye Twitter post says that "the vast majority is from China". In addition, the company claims the number of banned players is "more than twice as many as posted by PUBG just a month ago".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Meowinger

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Good to know an Anti-Cheat actually is working unlike some games i've seen, although this game does have bugs where you can just walk through houses, and mesh objects when first loading into the game for the first game, and sometimes to even fix this you must exit the game and start another, hopefully this is a bug they fix and no one gets targeted when they walk through a wall or glitch because of this.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The BattlEye Twitter post says that "the vast majority is from China"

By itself, that is a useless and inflammatory statement. Perhaps it's aimed at a specific audience ?

"Cheaters as a % of players from a region" is a more useful statistic.

The number of cheaters may be 1% across all regions/countries, but if "the vast majority of players" happen to be from China, then 1% of them will be a larger number than 1% of any other region or country.

If there's 100K US players, and 50% of them cheat, that's 50K cheaters.
    If there's 1M Chinese players, and 10% of them cheat, that's 100K cheaters.
    In this hypothetical scenario, every second US player will be a cheater, but only 1 in 10 Chinese will cheat. However, due to population imbalance, it can be said that "the vast majority (of cheaters) is from China"...
    GdemamiMeowingerSignexKyleranOctagon7711ZenJellyConstantineMerusKeldor837jimmywolf
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    The BattlEye Twitter post says that "the vast majority is from China"

By itself, that is a useless and inflammatory statement. Perhaps it's aimed at a specific audience ?

"Cheaters as a % of players from a region" is a more useful statistic.

The number of cheaters may be 1% across all regions/countries, but if "the vast majority of players" happen to be from China, then 1% of them will be a larger number than 1% of any other region or country.

If there's 100K US players, and 50% of them cheat, that's 50K cheaters.
    If there's 1M Chinese players, and 10% of them cheat, that's 100K cheaters.
    In this hypothetical scenario, every second US player will be a cheater, but only 1 in 10 Chinese will cheat. However, due to population imbalance, it can be said that "the vast majority (of cheaters) is from China"...
    Flawed argument, the % of the chinese population that has access to and plays video games is far less than that of developing nations. You cant base it on the general population.
    Meowinger
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited October 2017
    % of Chinese players who cheat is not relevant, it is what % of players who are caught cheating are Chinese?

Appears to be quite large as it states "vast majority" which could be due to vast majority of the 2.2M players being from China, but again an irrelevant statistic.

Perhaps one solution is to isolate Chinese players from other regions?

As for the comment being inflammatory, if the shoe fits....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    It's nice to see somebody is able to take measures to curb cheating without resorting to litigation.
    Octagon7711

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    This is literally a response to Fortnite as they have been announcing things in that area. haha
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Max!!! :smile:
    MaxBacon

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242

Renoaku said:

Good to know an Anti-Cheat actually is working unlike some games i've seen, although this game does have bugs where you can just walk through houses, and mesh objects when first loading into the game for the first game, and sometimes to even fix this you must exit the game and start another, hopefully this is a bug they fix and no one gets targeted when they walk through a wall or glitch because of this.

dumb
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:
    % of Chinese players who cheat is not relevant, it is what % of players who are caught cheating are Chinese?

Appears to be quite large as it states "vast majority" which could be due to vast majority of the 2.2M players being from China, but again an irrelevant statistic.

Whut ?

Of course the % of player population is important !

The statement "the vast majority (of cheaters) are from China" will generally be interpreted as "Chinese players cheat more than anyone else".

If the % of players that cheat is the same for all regions, but the NUMBER of players in "Region A" is twice as large as any other region, then the NUMBER of cheaters from "Region A" will be twice as large as the number from any other region.

That does not mean that players from Region A are more likely to cheat...

I should know better than to try explaining statistics on the internet, lol
    ConstantineMerusKyleranKeldor837
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

dave6660 said:

It's nice to see somebody is able to take measures to curb cheating without resorting to litigation.

Banning cheaters is not only pointless but also hurts the game.

Ban a cheater and they will just buy another account and be back in game cheating again within a day.

But, when they ban these cheaters it gives away info as to how they got caught, which the cheat makers will use to make it harder for the cheats to be detected.

If the cheat makers are not shut down the cheaters will keep coming back and with more sophisticated cheat programs every time.

TalonsinZandogBruceYeeKeldor837jimmywolf
  • vernesvernes Member UncommonPosts: 79
    I've seen WTF moments in PUBG on youtube and casts doubt on this cheat detection. A game where two cars collide and then launch themselves into outer space, have people step out of their car and through a wall, or even get stuck INSIDE a wall, is a game where everybody can be a cheater at any moment of the game.
  • ysn888ysn888 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited October 2017
     Good job . We don't need anyone to ruin our gaming experience . 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MaxBacon said:
    This is literally a response to Fortnite as they have been announcing things in that area. haha
    This carries real weight in PUBG since there is a box cost and those people who cheat will have to repurchase the game if they want to continue.  Fortnite is free so getting banned just causes a delay of several minutes while you make a new account.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Talonsin said:
    This carries real weight in PUBG since there is a box cost and those people who cheat will have to repurchase the game if they want to continue.  Fortnite is free so getting banned just causes a delay of several minutes while you make a new account.
    Hence why they have a higher demand to get automated systems in place, but the false positives mess the thing up. That's why competitive FPS shouldn't be free, or at least add progression until the competitive rolls in so there's relevant loss to undertake.
    Kyleran said:

Whut ?

Of course the % of player population is important !

The statement "the vast majority (of cheaters) are from China" will generally be interpreted as "Chinese players cheat more than anyone else".

If the % of players that cheat is the same for all regions, but the NUMBER of players in "Region A" is twice as large as any other region, then the NUMBER of cheaters from "Region A" will be twice as large as the number from any other region.

That does not mean that players from Region A are more likely to cheat...

I should know better than to try explaining statistics on the internet, lol
    Apparently you shouldn't.   There never was a discussion of whether or not Chinese players are more likely to cheat, that was clearly a conversation fabricated by you perhaps based on your personal prejudices,  or your projection onto others of what theirs must be. (A phenomenon known as mind reading in resiliency discussions)

Statement of fact,  X number of players are being banned daily for cheating .  2nd statement of fact, some number (whatever a vast majority is) are from China.

The only statistical analysis you can make from the evidence at hand is many of the cheaters banned are Chinese, presumably (but not stated) determined by their IP addresses. You can't even make a valid estimate on the actual number without more data.

The additional factors you raise are valid only if analyzing a different question,  which we weren't .

Sandmanjw

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I hate cheaters usually all they do is ruin the game for everybody else. It's sad to see a number this large.
    Kyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263

Xiaoki said:

dave6660 said:

Banning cheaters is not only pointless but also hurts the game.

Ban a cheater and they will just buy another account and be back in game cheating again within a day.

But, when they ban these cheaters it gives away info as to how they got caught, which the cheat makers will use to make it harder for the cheats to be detected.

If the cheat makers are not shut down the cheaters will keep coming back and with more sophisticated cheat programs every time.

Please explain how a system which forces those looking to cheat. To buy the game over, and over, and over again. Is in any way hurting the game? If every cheater buys the game just one additional time to keep playing. That means that they made an additional $6,440,000 (plus or minus exchange rates to USD) selling an additional copy to all those people. Now, many are likely to not buy the game again. But there's sure to be many that have bought multiples because it's just $20. I can't go to the movies for two hours of entertainment for $20. So if I can get in a dozen or more from a game for that before getting banned. Then it's still a sound investment by current inflation and costs for entertainment. The company gets to brag that they're catching and banning cheaters. While also profiting off of additional sales to the same individuals. The company wins on all sides. Minus the tainted perception by the player-base that cheating tools are so widely available and easy to use.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I agree that the fact that the number is this high is very disheartening. 
    Kyleran

kitarad said:
    I agree that the fact that the number is this high is very disheartening. 
    So are comments by people dismissing the idea of harsh punishments for cheaters because "it's just a game."

The compass is clearly broken for many.

ConstantineMerus

• milyenmilyen Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited October 2017
    Makes me wonder what their starting playerbase numbers were. If they have banned 322K players / accounts since this started or are banning X amlunt per day. Does this mean those same people are making new accounts to cheat with ? Eventually at the rate they seem to be going they will have virtually no player base or a tiny pool of genuine players which makes you wonder how viable a game it will be?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am not going to say i did thorough research or even know much about Battle eye,however just vaguely looking over the numbers ,1.5 million in total since 2004,does not seem like gold standard to me.

I would be more concerned on how they treat these bans,1 day, 2 day,cheat to your hearts content,sure buy another copy,your welcome back to cheat some more?
    Over the many years,i have seen several devs do more on cover ups or denial,forum bans than do anything about cheating.
    What good is a ban if the player is allowed back in with a new game copy?Next time they get an updated cheat version or try a different still working cheat.So yeah i would like to know what they are actually doing about cheating ,other than catching people who cheat for likely weeks before getting caught.
    They could try the infamous copyright lawsuits on these sellers.Sadly they can't prove loss of revenue since PUBG has gained a lot of players over the last several months.
    Keldor837

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The blame for this lies entirely with the console game developers for constantly putting cheat codes in their games.  Players think nothing of cheating in these online games because of it.

Gdemami
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Wizardry said:
    I am not going to say i did thorough research or even know much about Battle eye,however just vaguely looking over the numbers ,1.5 million in total since 2004,does not seem like gold standard to me.

I would be more concerned on how they treat these bans,1 day, 2 day,cheat to your hearts content,sure buy another copy,your welcome back to cheat some more?
    Over the many years,i have seen several devs do more on cover ups or denial,forum bans than do anything about cheating.
    What good is a ban if the player is allowed back in with a new game copy?Next time they get an updated cheat version or try a different still working cheat.So yeah i would like to know what they are actually doing about cheating ,other than catching people who cheat for likely weeks before getting caught.
    They could try the infamous copyright lawsuits on these sellers.Sadly they can't prove loss of revenue since PUBG has gained a lot of players over the last several months.
    Adding to what you said with a previous comment of mine. How is it a serious discouragement to be banned from a game that has you start fresh every match? Sure, you're out $20. But I can't go to the theater to see a movie for an hour and a half for less than $20 here in New York. If I can play for a couple weeks or maybe a few days on that $20. I'll get more entertainment out of it than a single movie would when you look at cost comparisons. Without any real persistent progression or noteworthy financial investment. You're not going to discourage cheating in a competitive game like this for many people.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    You can find details on the demographic breakdown of PUBG here:

https://twitter.com/steamcharts?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

The information provided is as follows:

China 42%
    US: 10%
    Korea: 7%

There is more data there, but it is not labeled. 
    Kyleran
    edited October 2017
    You can find details on the demographic breakdown of PUBG here:

https://twitter.com/steamcharts?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

The information provided is as follows:

China 42%
    US: 10%
    Korea: 7%

There is more data there, but it is not labeled. 
    This supports a point I made earlier, knowing this data its not surprising a large percentage of banned players are Chinese.

It makes no value judgement either, unless we can find out what the actual percentage value is making up the "vast majority"