Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COE funding continues to grow

Comments

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    And there are very valid reasons those publishers don't want to fund these endeavors.  None of that qualifies a cautious wait and see attitude about these developers' ability to deliver, quite the contrary.  And it certainly doesn't mean we should give them carte blanche regarding monetization and marketing tactics.

Had the CoE team approached a traditional, reputable publisher and pitched this idea and timeline, how do you honestly think that would've went down?
    I think we can agree they probably wouldn't get far with a traditional publisher because there is no proven market for their chosen mechanics.

I am not suggesting carte blanche. I just don't like what I see as a vendetta from some posters. Their monetisation is far better than loot boxes or what have you in some very successful games.
    Most of the criticism of the sale of titles etc is speculation as to its long term effects. It might turn out bad but it is not a given. That is what annoys me the most, the extreme reactions. Everything is a total disaster, complete failure or idiocy. And no explanation is every allowed to mitigate the negative in any way.
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Oh, and funding continues to pick up pace...

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    If something is too good to be true, then it usually is. (quoteing myself from the day they announced this game after reading what the game will feature)
    YashaXSlapshot1188

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Nobody from the general gaming public has to float AAA development based on those marketing tactics.  That's a huge difference.
    I don't really see much of a difference. I understand that you are trying to say that with a publisher there would already be a game whereas with the crowd-funded game there is nothing at the point you are laying your money down... but the big publisher is not willing to make the game.

There is no way to get around the fact that the gamer has to assume the monetary risk if they want a chance of a game like x, y, z being made. CoE might not turn out exactly how people want it but neither do games from big publishers alway deliver.
    And there are very valid reasons those publishers don't want to fund these endeavors.  None of that qualifies a cautious wait and see attitude about these developers' ability to deliver, quite the contrary.  And it certainly doesn't mean we should give them carte blanche regarding monetization and marketing tactics.

Had the CoE team approached a traditional, reputable publisher and pitched this idea and timeline, how do you honestly think that would've went down?
    Probably something like this

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JustDrakeJustDrake Member UncommonPosts: 72

I think we can agree they probably wouldn't get far with a traditional publisher because there is no proven market for their chosen mechanics.

I am not suggesting carte blanche. I just don't like what I see as a vendetta from some posters. Their monetisation is far better than loot boxes or what have you in some very successful games.
    Most of the criticism of the sale of titles etc is speculation as to its long term effects. It might turn out bad but it is not a given. That is what annoys me the most, the extreme reactions. Everything is a total disaster, complete failure or idiocy. And no explanation is every allowed to mitigate the negative in any way.
    I would suggest childishness of behalf of those that don' allow constructive criticism of their comments.
    Seems very much "my way is right and you are wrong".

At the moment the devs have made mistakes, yes but other studios do too, the only difference is they don' admit them or hide them with their lack of transparency.

With Coe only time will tell and I think it's time people laid off the insults and waited to see what happens
    StaalBurgher
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    JustDrake said:

I would suggest childishness of behalf of those that don' allow constructive criticism of their comments.

At the moment the devs have made mistakes, yes but other studios do too, the only difference is they don' admit them or hide them with their lack of transparency.

With Coe only time will tell and I think it's time people laid off the insults and waited to see what happens
    OK Ordanska.. you can suggest childishness.  I suggest it's realism.
    Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    They are trying to make these games where there is no or little risk to the company...As long as they can get people dumb enough to pay for something that isnt even close to finished they will do it....It wouldnt shock me at some point if companies decline to even release MMOs anymore.
    JustDrake said:

You have quoted me but mention someone else interesting.

And it' not realism to not allow an opposing view. People like Kim Jong Un have that mentality.
    JustDrake said:
    JustDrake said:

And it' not realism to not allow an opposing view. People like Kim Jong Un have that mentality.
    OK Ordanska.  Your secret is safe with us /wink

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited November 2017
    JustDrake said:

JustDrake said:

I haven't forgotten about DrakeOrdanska either who was whiteknighting the game to an absurd level until he was banned.

I am having problems with your logic though.
    On one hand you are thanking the "haters" for giving the game publicity - on the other you tell them to wait and see what the game will be like.

Why aren't you just laying off and and wait until the game is here?
    Harbinger of Fools
    Ah I see so someone uses a name Drake and that automatically make them the same person?

That' interesting because i've gamed alongside multiple people that use the same username.

But then I am assuming you want to try to invalidate my replies by assuming I am the same person and therefore since they got banned my points have no validity.

It still stands that by not allowing an opposing view you are trying to "lead" these forums through a dictatorship where only your view counts. Well I am afraid guys(I assume anyway) your view is not the only view in the world and without proof of your points (the game hasn't failed) your views are most definately not right.
    JustDrake said:
    Ah I see so someone uses a name Drake and that automatically make them the same person?

That' interesting because i've gamed alongside multiple people that use the same username.

But then I am assuming you want to try to invalidate my replies by assuming I am the same person and therefore since they got banned my points have no validity.

It still stands that by not allowing an opposing view you are trying to "lead" these forums through a dictatorship where only your view counts. Well I am afraid guys(I assume anyway) your view is not the only view in the world and without proof of your points (the game hasn't failed) your views are most definately not right.
    I'm not sure what kind of nonsense you are talking about dictatorship now.
    You said we should shut up and I made clear that this is absurd.
    That makes you the dictator you know.

And of course the game hasn't failed - there is no game and there won't be a game for at least 2 more years.
    Harbinger of Fools
    No where did I say shut up....

I said you should allow opposing views instead of always shutting down anyone that tries to state a positive of the game.

The lack of allowing opposing views from your "community" is why I mentioned dictatorship.

Therfore before trying to shut me down with falsehoods read what was written
    JustDrake said:JustDrake said:
    No where did I say shut up....

Gdemami
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited November 2017
    Asking you to lay off insults is not asking you to shut up it's asking you to be constructive in your criticism.

In fact in assuming that's what I meant are you showing that you believe all your posts to be insults?
    JustDrake said:
    Asking you to lay off insults is not asking you to shut up it's asking you to be constructive in your criticism.

In fact in assuming that's what I meant are you showing that you believe all your posts to be insults?
    No that just means you are once again trolling by calling posts insults.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    JustDrake said:

I didn't call anyone's posts insults, I mentioned people are insulting others here, that is not trolling it' stating facts.

And by saying again I am assuming your referrng to the ordanska thingy again.
    By constantly referrng me as someone who was trolling here before is insulting me. Hence what I said.
    JustDrake said:
    Dakeru said:
    JustDrake said:

I didn't call anyone's posts insults, I mentioned people are insulting others here, that is not trolling it' stating facts.

By constantly referrng me as someone who was trolling here before is insulting me. Hence what I said.
    If it's a fact then you will have no issue showing me some of the insults.
    Gdemami
    Harbinger of Fools
    JustDrake said:

Who in their right mind would want to stifle debate?   If you knew anything about me you would know that I encourage it.  I hate the fact that folks who have different opinions from me were banned.  When the site switched over I was actively campaigning for a clean slate wipe to allow everyone back in.

No, the people who only like one sided conversation are guys like Caspien who came, posted twice... was embarrassed and went back to his highly moderated forums.  Maybe if he actually ships the Elyria Mud in January like he said he will come back.  That would be a good thing. Forums without differing opinions are boring, pointless, and simply an echo-chamber.  It's a major reason many of these small games fail.  The core diehards tell the devs what they want to hear and then the general public speaks with their wallets at launch.

Try and keep the debate on the issues and stick around longer this time!

Gdemami

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    Hoping the game continues to grow and launches.  I hope it is as good as it is hyped~!
    JustDrake

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:

Nobody from the general gaming public has to float AAA development based on those marketing tactics.  That's a huge difference.
    I don't really see much of a difference. I understand that you are trying to say that with a publisher there would already be a game whereas with the crowd-funded game there is nothing at the point you are laying your money down... but the big publisher is not willing to make the game.

There is no way to get around the fact that the gamer has to assume the monetary risk if they want a chance of a game like x, y, z being made. CoE might not turn out exactly how people want it but neither do games from big publishers alway deliver.

Probably something like this

While humorous, not really applicable to the project we're discussing here.
    Kyleran

Tokken said:
    Hoping the game continues to grow and launches.  I hope it is as good as it is hyped~!
    I agree
    Tokken
    edited November 2017
    Dakeru said:
    JustDrake said:
    Dakeru said:
    JustDrake said:

There is much truth to this.   You can tell someone that touching fire is bad... but until they are burned they don't really understand.

I mean seriously... Ordanska thinks CoE is big enough that "competitors" are paying people to spread "hate" about it...

Think about the state you must be in to even believe such a thing... and it explains a lot about some comments. 

Coated said:
    A fool and their money are soon parted. 

For the people that actually support these things, what do your parents think of that expense on their credit card?

And that's in the few hours I have been here. Took me a while to sort it because I had to go to my pc to make cutting and pasting easier.

edited November 2017
    JustDrake said:
    Dakeru said:
    JustDrake said:
    Dakeru said:
    JustDrake said:

There is much truth to this.   You can tell someone that touching fire is bad... but until they are burned they don't really understand.
    I mean seriously... Ordanska thinks CoE is big enough that "competitors" are paying people to spread "hate" about it...
    Think about the state you must be in to even believe such a thing... and it explains a lot about some comments. 

Coated said:
    A fool and their money are soon parted. 

For the people that actually support these things, what do your parents think of that expense on their credit card?

And that's in the few hours I have been here. Took me a while to sort it because I had to go to my pc to make cutting and pasting easier.

Your very first post in this thread was to call other posters childish.  So you can look in the mirror first.   That said... here are mine:

• OK Ordanska.  Your secret is safe with us /wink
    To the best of my knowledge.. Ordanska is not an insult in any language.  If it is then I apologize.

• OK Ordanska.. you can suggest childishness.  I suggest it's realism.
    Again.. I responded to your childish insult and simply stated that I believe it is realism

• There is much truth to this.   You can tell someone that touching fire is bad... but until they are burned they don't really understand.
    This was a response to someone saying that certain people need to experience the results themselves before they can understand.  I agree.  Curious why you would think this is an insult.  

• I mean seriously... Ordanska thinks CoE is big enough that "competitors" are paying people to spread "hate" about it...Think about the state you must be in to even believe such a thing... and it explains a lot about some comments. 
    This was a response to you calling us "haters" and proposing that we were paid by the competitors.  I do think that if I put myself in a mindset where I believe that is reality it explains your posts.  Its my attempt to understand my adversary much like Ender.

So how about we start with not calling other people childish haters who are paid by the competitors and start fresh? Lets talk about the funding which is the OP topic!

My point was you were insisting on insulting me by calling me a previous troll, I stated this was not me but you continued with the insult.

The third one I managed to misquote I don'  think this is an insult, it was meant to be the person calling all CoE backers children with their parents credit cards. Not sure how I messed it up but nevermind.