Epic Cracks Its Knuckles Ready to Fight As It Takes Two Players to Court for Cheating - Fortnite - M

2»

Comments

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,997
    edited October 12
    It's so funny reading the excuses people make for liars and cheaters to justify their behavior. The best was the guy in another recent cheater crackdown thread who claimed liars (people who lie about cheating) are bad and give "good cheaters" (honest folks who are open about their complete lack of integrity) a bad name.

The two people have been acting unethically and they should be held accountable. This isn't the playground at recess in middle school. They made some bad adult choices, in an adult world, that affect other people adversely. That's not okay. I agree with @Talonsin 's sentiment that we need to start seeing greater accountability.
    Post edited by Torval on
    RhoklawDullahanforcelima
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • mmrvmmrv henderson, NVMember UncommonPosts: 154
    Fun game ruined by rampant uncontrolled cheating. Stay away until epic manages to implement the most basic anti cheat codings. Right now the only cheat detection is the playerbase being forced to record suspected cheaters and submit to support, the cheaters then just create a new account in 1/10th the time you wasted reporting them.
  • mmrvmmrv henderson, NVMember UncommonPosts: 154

diabel said:

SBFord said:

diabel said:

Taking players to court for cheating in games... overkill much? It's a game.

If you read the full article, they're both associated with a cheat site as staff members.

Unless these sites are financially killing the game it's overkill and a marketing stunt.

Just like the title is misleading clickbait as it states two "players" and not sites. PR much?

Its not overkill, if you want to stop cheaters who destroy these products you have to get serious about their crimes and altering the code is a copyright crime. That said I also agree that this is a marketing stunt as well since epic has done nothing to deal with these cheaters beside hollow empty account bans, the cheats just make a new account in 60 seconds and resume.

I am fairly certain the amount of cheaters easily surpasses 10% of the base now which makes the game unplayable.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,496
    diabel said:

Unless these sites are financially killing the game it's overkill and a marketing stunt.
    Seriously?  Thanks for giving us the benefit of your inexperience. 
    Panther2103Dakeru
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAMember RarePosts: 3,548
    Talonsin said:
    diabel said:

I agree. I don't think it's a marketing stunt at all. It does financially kill a game when it has rampant cheating. When cheating gets too bad, people quit. When people quit they don't spend money on your game. When you ban cheaters, you retain potential customers who would have quit due to the cheating. I know when i play a game in a ranked mode and a cheater is ruining my experience I tend to either stop for a very long time or just stop all together. 
    Psym0n
  • diabeldiabel KoszalinMember UncommonPosts: 33
    edited October 12

Talonsin said:

diabel said:

Cheating occurs when? When developers are inexperienced or take shortcuts that leave games open for cheating. If it's so terrible financially why are there no bounties offered to report cheats?

I might be inexperienced but a good news story with reach to a targeted audience is worth more then two cheating sites. Also viewing a situation from a perspective, that differs from yours, does not mean inexperience.
    Post edited by diabel on
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Millersburg, INMember RarePosts: 1,073
    diabel said:

Talonsin said:

diabel said:

Cheating occurs when? When developers are inexperienced or take shortcuts that leave games open for cheating. If it's so terrible financially why are there no bounties offered to report cheats?

I might be inexperienced but a good news story with reach to a targeted audience is worth more then two cheating sites. Also viewing a situation from a perspective, that differs from yours, does not mean inexperience.

Inexperienced..  lol.. While generally inexperienced devs will have more cheats. But reality is that there is ZERO game that is 100% cheat proof. The only sure fire way to stop cheating is to have players remote desktop into another machine that is fully locked down and play the client on said machine. But even then I am sure someone will find a way to cheat in it.

Heck even World of Warcraft with there devs that have many years of experience still has issues with cheating / hacking going on.  Just yesterday I watched a guy flying around in the game at level 2 without any mounts.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXMember EpicPosts: 5,259
    I'm not Korean and I've never played a Korean version of a game, but I've heard they have to use the equivalent of what the US refers to as our social security number to identify themselves when playing games. I'm just curious if that systematic approach to permanently banning players works or not and why that isn't used in other countries, specifically the U.S.
    Torval

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,409
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm not Korean and I've never played a Korean version of a game, but I've heard they have to use the equivalent of what the US refers to as our social security number to identify themselves when playing games. I'm just curious if that systematic approach to permanently banning players works or not and why that isn't used in other countries, specifically the U.S.
    Cuz in Murica, we have this thing called privacy.

Though personally, as someone who values my privacy, I also realize we have very little anymore. Nobody pays their subscriptions for anything in cash, which means everything you do in game is connected back to you personally.

If games can potentially ban your credit card for cheating, don't see how much of a difference it would be to ban your SS number and for games to create a wider network to encourage fair play.

The problem with that system is the problem with any system with power over the individual: corrupt government. Who determines whether a player is really cheating, and will they honor due process? These are the potential problems we actually consider in 'Murica!

• AmatheAmathe Miami, FLMember RarePosts: 2,978
    As a player I read this and think "Good, nail the cheaters to a tree."

But as a parent I read this and think "omg what if one of my kids found a way to get themselves sued playing a video game?" Something to add to my closet full of anxieties. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KajidourdenKajidourden Panama City, FLMember RarePosts: 1,480
    Amathe said:

But as a parent I read this and think "omg what if one of my kids found a way to get themselves sued playing a video game?" Something to add to my closet full of anxieties. 

I don't think they would litigate against someone who is just using it.  I think this is an attempt to strike at the source of these particular cheats. 

For an end-user the worst they could do is Perma-ban/IP Block.
    Torval
  • drachennwolfdrachennwolf Waterloo, WIMember UncommonPosts: 23
    Oh man I need this cheat now. Good luck suing everyone who plays your shitty game!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,183
    Anyone who gets banned nine times is asking for it.  It's saying they won't stop and no one can make them cause they'll just come back again for number ten and for as long as they want after that.  Ignore it and you have more people doing the same.  
    DullahanTorval

"Change is the only constant."

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Nashville, TNMember EpicPosts: 2,974
    Eh, in a litigation-happy society, this seems like something that would best be handled outside of courts, even if there's criminal penalties involved.

I see that there has to be a precedent set, but we should quickly move from court battles to merely identifying and assessing scheduled fines for offenders.

As Kano mentioned, it won't ever stop chesting, but I get you have to try.
    Torval

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,997
    Amathe said:

I don't think they would litigate against someone who is just using it.  I think this is an attempt to strike at the source of these particular cheats. 

For an end-user the worst they could do is Perma-ban/IP Block.
    I'm a parent with teens. I thought about that too. It was one of the first things that hit me. I remember when my daughter first figured out how to use a Chrome plug-in to use a VPN proxy to tunnel through my network security. I always think about that stuff.

These guys weren't just cheaters though, they were working with a company to promote software tools that compromise the game client and network connection. If my kids did something like this we would all be facing the consequences; them for doing it, me for allowing it to happen.

I've talked to my kids. They know cheating isn't tolerated and there will be severe consequences when they're caught. If they get banned from a game or lose an account because they were loose and shared, they're not getting it back.

We haven't had to cross that bridge yet, thankfully.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,258
    "... banned 9 times..." lol. How many bans does it take to get a permanent one? Inquiring minds want to know.
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,813

dave6660 said:

Do they really think this will deter anyone from cheating?

It's reminds me of when the RIAA went on lawsuit spree for pirating music.  Has piracy stopped or even slowed down?

In the end the only people who will win here are the lawyers.

Comparing the whole world(because pirating was/is done worldwide by tens of millions daily) with a game's playerbase isn't the best example.

Honestly to me this look like PR and nothing else. Suing 2 people that are based in the US couldn't be more irrelevant when you have in mind that as it was already mentioned the biggest companies that provide hacks and whatnot are usually based in Russia/China or other places that spit on DMCA and any other laws-alike.

Also I'm surprised that people think that this will deter American companies from offering hacks... It takes 2 minutes to build a site and cover all your tracks, so that they can't find out where you actually are. With cryptocurrencies and a ton of companies that offer offshore solutions I don't see how this will have any effect at all.
    They arent trying to discourage the hacking sites,  like you said, they can't be stopped.

They are trying to make an example of the players, in order to make other players think twice before using hacks. 

Who wants to take a chance you might get tagged? As Torval said,  your career could be significantly affected, just the accusation likely would result in my employer firing me.
    Torval

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno KetteringMember UncommonPosts: 887

SBFord said:

diabel said:

If you read the full article, they're both associated with a cheat site as staff members.

"Epic made clear that the company would aggressively pursue players who chat in Battle Royale"

Taken to court for "chatting"? lolz, they joy of proof reading.

On topic: I hope the bas***ds get nailed to the wall in a jail cell. This scum needs to stop spoiling games people have paid hard earned cash for !
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno KetteringMember UncommonPosts: 887
    edited October 13

diabel said:

Your attitude is totally wrong. These idiots spoil games for legit players who have paid good money for the product in question, not to mention cheaters accepted a contract of conduct before playing. Damn right they should go to court and hopefully jail. People like you need to start taking this stuff seriously.

You need your head banging against a wall if you think this is overkill. I know this loses studios money, I for one do not buy any competitive PvP games for this exact reason, ever, for the simple reason it's never a level playing field.
    Post edited by kinkyJalepeno on
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYMember RarePosts: 2,242
    edited October 13
    Make a fun game, and players won't cheat because then it would be boring. The other issue is challenge. If the problem is cheaters are cheating because the game is too hard or unfair to those who may not be good at the game, that is a problem with how the game is developed.

They should have made it like Battlefront 2, which is very fair to both experts and beginners. It will cut down cheating a lot, especially because of how some of the cards are set up.

A game that gets heavily cheated in isn't a problem with the cheaters, its a problem with the game itself. If the game is no fun without cheats, that is a game problem. If the game is too hard without cheats, again that is a game problem.

While battlefront 2 will likely have hackers (EVERY multiplayer game does), the way the game is setup it will have very few cheaters. Because anyone new or old can pick up the game and do as good as anyone else AND its a ton of fun.
    Post edited by TheScavenger on

My adult gaming and mods website (various games, adult mods, screenshots, stories and other games I play(ed) 

http://nsfwgaming.wixsite.com/adultgamingandmods

And my Youtube channel (for nature/relaxation/meditation videos)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,280
    It's big business, and assholes like this damage their profits by ruining the experience for their honest players. They even take it one step further by profiting from their actions. So hell yeah, sue them. I hope they wind up with a nice debt for their actions :smiley:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

Besides, I believe you can already get punished for doing stuff like this in Korea.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Grah, ALMember RarePosts: 1,064
    As far as I know the Challenger bracket of League of Legends is minimally influenced by cheating, so saying it's impossible to prevent is a big short sighted.
    edited October 13
    http://www.pcgamer.com/south-korea-makes-cheating-in-online-games-an-actual-crime/ there.

And that's their government. Not some stand alone company.
    Post edited by Azaron_Nightblade on
    Kyleranforcelima

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne pilesgrove, NJMember UncommonPosts: 121
    good for them