I hate loot boxes and so does Francis.

2»

Comments

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,997
    Torval said:
    So why is it bad that Shadows of War has microtransactions but it's okay that Minecraft has them? I've not seen any rant threads about microtransactions in Minecraft and it's a much bigger game with more influence.
    Which version of Minecraft has that type of microtransaction? Don't the console versions / phone version only support skins? Even though I'm not entirely against lootboxes I think it's a completely different type of microtransaction. 
    It the Windows version which is different than the Java version. The thing is that they're great. You can rent your own servers, buy skins and world themes, and that sort of thing. They're still microtransactions though so it doesn't really matter where the OP is concerned.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • RedempRedemp Absurdly HotlandMember UncommonPosts: 1,089
    I don't feel the pain in Shadow of War when it comes to lootboxs. I've purchased a few with silver, which is pretty easy to farm. I feel zero need to put any more money into the game, so I don't see the issue with SoW.

Now Battlefront 2 : I loved the beta, it's a beautiful game and they really fixed alot of the issues I had with the first one. That said I won't be buying it ... BF2 is absolutely pay to win; I won't support that. Shame  really .... they could have gone a cosmetic route and I'd of opened my wallet.

TorvalGdemami
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,258
    edited October 12
    Grunty said:
    Torval said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Torval said:
    Support what you like with your time and money. That will get you a lot farther than complaining over the things you don't like other people doing.
    You're not from America are you?
    Nope. I'm from Oregon. :tongue:
    When are y'all going to officially combine Oregon and Washington and officially name the nation Ecotopia?
    They're waiting for us in British Columbia to secede from Canada. But don't you fret, Cascadia is coming :)
    Post edited by Iselin on
    TorvalKyleran
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,255
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    So why is it bad that Shadows of War has microtransactions but it's okay that Minecraft has them? I've not seen any rant threads about microtransactions in Minecraft and it's a much bigger game with more influence.
    Which version of Minecraft has that type of microtransaction? Don't the console versions / phone version only support skins? Even though I'm not entirely against lootboxes I think it's a completely different type of microtransaction. 
    It the Windows version which is different than the Java version. The thing is that they're great. You can rent your own servers, buy skins and world themes, and that sort of thing. They're still microtransactions though so it doesn't really matter where the OP is concerned.
    You kinda don't get it. It is not about microtransactions, that's in the past: You can't buy what you want. That's the issue with lootboxes. 

The companies removed direct purchase and added lootboxes, that's like going to buy a new jacket, seeing the one you like on the shop floor but when comes to pay for it you can only buy random boxes until you get the one you like. Does that sounds in any shape to what you are describing? Of course it does not.

On SWBF2 it is tied to player progression, which make things worse. You won't progress in a match by your ability, you won't progress by kills, objectives and so on - you'll progress if the RNG allows you to do so. On Shadows of War the RNG is tied to your power (and other things that I don't want to spoil the game for you).

How is that anything like buying directly skins you want?
    BruceYeeGdemami

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 6,230
    Nyctelios said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    You kinda don't get it. It is not about microtransactions, that's in the past: You can't buy what you want. That's the issue with lootboxes. 

The companies removed direct purchase and added lootboxes, that's like going to buy a new jacket, seeing the one you like on the shop floor but when comes to pay for it you can only buy random boxes until you get the one you like. Does that sounds in any shape to what you are describing? Of course it does not.

On SWBF2 it is tied to player progression, which make things worse. You won't progress in a match by your ability, you won't progress by kills, objectives and so on - you'll progress if the RNG allows you to do so. On Shadows of War the RNG is tied to your power (and other things that I don't want to spoil the game for you).

How is that anything like buying directly skins you want?
    The whole thing is Gacha scheme.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Cambridge, MAMember UncommonPosts: 1,047
    Did you know life is an STD that is 100% fatal. 
    BruceYee
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAMember RarePosts: 27,628
    Why is this a problem? It is a free world. Just don't buy them. 
    GdemamiKyleran
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,082
    I hadn't really given much thought to how many games I play that have some form of a loot box system but turns out it is almost all of them. In the weak defense of loot boxes though other systems that allowed people to buy specific items directly for the most part have failed pretty consistently so loot boxes may be the only option?

ESO - Feels like most of the money they make comes from these.
    Trove - Have been there from start, in all aspects of the game for various things so w/e.
    Atlas Reactor - Wouldn't be surprised if these are the only reason the game is still up.
    Fortnite - Pretty hardcore p2w for a btp game.
    Heroes of the Storm - All cosmetic, can be earned at a fast rate by playing regularly.
    Overwatch - IMO these act kind of like a donation to the game if you feel inclined to support it again. Like how you can no longer get duplicates.
    Realm of the Mad God - Best pets are found in eggs that can be purchased with real money or very rarely found as drops. Pets greatly increase combat efficiency so kind of p2w'ish?
    Forge of Gods - Best units are found in most expensive rng boxes that are extremely overpriced imo.
    SMITE - Loot boxes done right imo.
    Paladins - Loot boxes done right imo.
    Gems of War - Best units found in most expensive boxes that are extremely overpriced, system designed to empty your wallet.
    Brawl of Ages - Fun loot box system. Can be earned by playing for free and you can sell the items you earned for free on the steam market unless they changed that recently.

Card packs count or no? - Elder Scrolls Legends, Hearthstone, Hand of the Gods, Minion Masters

Doesn't have any rng loot box - Albion Online
  • ScotScot UKMember RarePosts: 6,621
    Asheram said:
    Its not every game in 2017.

The first cash shop MMO was not every MMO back in the year it launched. Look how that worked out.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy? :P

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,175
    edited October 17
    Smedley was the first N.American to push cash shops and look what happened to SOE.
    A LAZY angle from a developer is NOT the answer,it might be a cheap cost effective way to raise revenue,but only short term,in the long term people just quit and your game makes no money.

The problem is it leads to a lot of bad game designs across the gaming genres.So what is happening is that devs are making low cost minimal games to support getting them out fast,within a year or before it is ready,just tag on early access,people will buy and an easy profit is made.

Th developers using these modern gimmicks don't really need to have any success after the initial push on sales,they already made a killing just selling the game.Look at this game  ,since 2016,so around 1 1/2 years  put into this game,that is a real crap effort,so yeah this cash shop thing is just icing on the cake.
    Post edited by Wizardry on
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,813
    edited October 17
    Jeez,  now I've actually agreed with both Nari and gdemini, in the same post no less, I'm going to hell for sure.

B)
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    Sovrath

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 16,435
    I dont play games with loot boxes, I get most of my games from Steam.

oh the irony

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Cambridge, MAMember UncommonPosts: 1,047
    Kyleran said:
    Jeez,  now I've actually agreed with both Nari and gdemini, in the same post no less, I'm going to hell for sure.

B)
    You are posting on MMORPG . . . you are already in hell :)

Cryomatrix
    SovrathKyleran