Have you ever decided to not play a game simply because you missed out on an exclusive reward?

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 22,892
    No but on a certain level I get it.

So, say I wanted to play a game and that "special award" was something like a particular race or class, and that would "make" the game for me I could feasibly see myself not playing it.

But it would have to be on that level. If it was a mount or a piece of armor then no, that wouldn't be an issue.
    Torval

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Cambridge, MAMember UncommonPosts: 972
    I consider myself the anti-perfectionist . . . I have zero desire to perfect anything I do. I usually don't min-max characters, never cared for good rolls on gear, usually don't fully optimize characters if it costs currency (that's cuz i'm naturally cheap). 

The only thing I'm a perfectionist about is when I am doing circumcisions, can't screw up the ole' pecker. 

In terms of completionist, I'm sort of like that with sports games. If I hit the wrong button and simulate a football game or baseball game instead of playing it then it ruins my accrual of stats to the point where I want to start over. 

Cryomatrix
    DauzqulAllerleirauhTorval
  • drachennwolfdrachennwolf Waterloo, WIMember UncommonPosts: 23
    I've decided not to play many, many games because I missed out on initial launch and any character I make would be so far behind and be so ignorant on how to play the game that I'd be irrelevant for a long time. I prefer playing games at launch or with huge catch-up mechanics so that I'm not always behind the curve from the start.
  • anemoanemo Member UncommonPosts: 1,197
    I can't see myself ever playing star citizen, if it ever comes out, just because of all the insane preorder exclusives.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• centkincentkin Asbury, NJMember UncommonPosts: 1,206
    Yes I have -- they had a +10% to hit points for the asheron's call expansion and since I tend to play tanky characters, that kept me from coming back until they made the +8% one that could be obtained in game and even then I was upset. 

There should NEVER be such a reward that you can't get in game.

Veteran rewards also stopped me from going back to everquest.  They are quite powerful and you would be at a significant disadvantage in a high end guild without them. 

TorvalanemoDauzqul
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,223
    anemo said:
    I can't see myself ever playing star citizen, if it ever comes out, just because of all the insane preorder exclusives.
    That's not just SC though. Almost all the KS titles in production have ridiculous preorder bonuses the average player will never be able to get. Only those with deep pockets, who threw money at them. SC is probably the most reasonable one of that bunch.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

• AmatheAmathe Miami, FLMember RarePosts: 2,914
    I have not. But with the right degree of provocation I could see myself doing that. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,451
    It has to be something that matters to me, but if it is then I lose motivation to play. I hate the practice of exclusivity in games especially with pre-orders or limited timed events. It has put me off some of my favorite games for a while and other games altogether.
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)