Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concurrent Player Numbers Cruise Past Half a Million - Fortnite - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageConcurrent Player Numbers Cruise Past Half a Million - Fortnite - MMORPG.com

Fortnite News - The concurrent player numbers for Fortnite continue to rise. Over the weekend, the number of concurrent players taking part in Battle Royale cruised past half a million. The game is approaching DOTA 2 numbers that hover around 700,000, but is significantly less than PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds that nearly hit two million concurrent players over the same time period.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Does this include consoles? Even so that's great for them, I'm glad that someone else is breaking out in the battle royale genre. It can't just be PUBG and H1Z1. It's kinda weird, if you compare releases with similar genres, like MOBAS the games kinda match other games in those genres numbers. When H1Z1 was the big guy it is kinda like Heroes of Newerth in terms of MOBAS, now PUBG is the League of Legends of the genre, and Fortnite is like the Dota 2. Kinda weird.
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2017
    I find it odd because ,where were all these players 5/10 years ago,they were all jumping on the internet to play Wow.

What has happened to gaming is it is no longer about FUN,it is about winning,Esports,streaming to make money and sponsors and people will defend these games even more than usual because they are making money from them.

A question in twitch chat has stuck with me,that i already knew the answer before it was answered.Some person asked Athene,of which many know who i am talking about "why do you play hearthstone if you don't really like the game ? "His answer was obvious to me,he said "because i get the most viewers from hearthstone".

I can use yet one more example,a guy named Lifecoach from hearthstone,was well recognized as maybe the best player in the game at one time.He left the game because he did not consider it a good game design anymore,he could lay that claim openly because he doesn't need money or popularity so he could be more honest than the rest of the streamers and those making money off of gaming.

So yeah it is more about popularity and money now,gaming has lost it's true identity of being a fun way to relax.It evolved into internet and meeting real people,even that has been drowned out,now everyone wants to play solo inside internet games and ONLY meet others for selfish reasons "loot" OR to pvp so the ycan attain a rank or see their names on the screen as the WINNER.
    Bottom line is that gaming has degraded into something bad,worse than it was originally 10+ years ago or before the era of Wow.
    TalonsinTheocritusUkurv

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Wizardry said:
    I find it odd because ,where were all these players 5/10 years ago,they were all jumping on the internet to play Wow.

What has happened to gaming is it is no longer about FUN,it is about winning,Esports,streaming to make money and sponsors and people will defend these games even more than usual because they are making money from them.

A question in twitch chat has stuck with me,that i already knew the answer before it was answered.Some person asked Athene,of which many know who i am talking about "why do you play hearthstone if you don't really like the game ? "His answer was obvious to me,he said "because i get the most viewers from hearthstone".

I can use yet one more example,a guy named Lifecoach from hearthstone,was well recognized as maybe the best player in the game at one time.He left the game because he did not consider it a good game design anymore,he could lay that claim openly because he doesn't need money or popularity so he could be more honest than the rest of the streamers and those making money off of gaming.

So yeah it is more about popularity and money now,gaming has lost it's true identity of being a fun way to relax.It evolved into internet and meeting real people,even that has been drowned out,now everyone wants to play solo inside internet games and ONLY meet others for selfish reasons "loot" OR to pvp so the ycan attain a rank or see their names on the screen as the WINNER.
    Bottom line is that gaming has degraded into something bad,worse than it was originally 10+ years ago or before the era of Wow.
    Games have always been about winning, ever since the start. You play to progress. Rank is a form of progression. You choose whether or not you meet people in the games you play. I think the community seems to like competitive games because they are fun to play and fun to get progressively better at. Sure there are negatives, but in general I have ALOT more fun with friends playing competitive games than playing MMO's. But I tend to play MMO's on my own because of the stories, and the fun of playing them. Plus someones way of relaxing might be the opposite of another persons. I spent my entire weekends free time playing Overwatch, it was fun, and made me relax as well as get on the edge of my seat if I was in an intense situation against the other team. 

You are also bringing up streamers who make a living off of playing games. They need to play the things that brought them the numbers or they will see a massive falloff on their viewerbase which can cause them to not have enough income to stream full time anymore. People watched Athene for many different reasons, originally his WoW videos were kinda funny, but in general he has always acted the same. Hes relatively arrogant, but with Hearthstone he got a lot of viewers because of his deckbuilding and ranking, which now hes built a name around that solely which means if he does anything else he wont get nearly the same amount of viewers. You can also look at other streamers who built a name off actually being entertaining and playing different games like Lirik or Dansgaming who both can stream whatever because they didn't base their channel off one specific thing. 
    [Deleted User]Nickhead420xyzercrime
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited October 2017

Wizardry said:

...and ONLY meet others for selfish reasons "loot" OR to pvp so the ycan attain a rank or see their names on the screen as the WINNER.
    Bottom line is that gaming has degraded ...

As much as I hate to do it, I kind of have to agree with this.

I've always been more interested in the potential of a virtual world, communities with vital members (crafters, gatherers, hunters, fighters, etc.), and exploration, but leaderboards & gear levels seem to have elbowed that stuff out of the genre to a large degree. But I've still enjoyed PUBG and might have a look at Fortnite, just the same. I just hope MMORPGs don't die out altogether.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    edited October 2017
    Valve placed bet on wrong game, the Card Game they are working on will fail, they should have announced a battle royal game instead, what a missed opportunity...