Will there ever be another "deep" Star Wars MMORPG?

DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIMember RarePosts: 1,713
Will there ever be another "deep" Star Wars MMORPG?

During my experience with the Battlefront 2 beta, it was hard not to imagine a full-blown Star Wars MMORPG with similar aesthetics, animations, and combat. Combine that with a gigantic world, deep crafting, world housing, and player economies...    $$$$$.

How much longer will EA have the exclusive Star Wars license ;/
Holst86delete5230GdemamiTyserieTiller
«1

Comments

  • TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 6,243
    Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future..” – Yoda
    BeezerbeezXarkoExcessionKyleranScotchUpSteelhelm





  • Viper482Viper482 Somewhere, FLMember RarePosts: 1,731
    The question is "will there ever be another deep MMORPG?"
    coretex666SpottyGekkoSovrathDauzqulXodicdelete5230CecropiaKyleranTealaScotchUpand 6 others.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko JohannesburgMember EpicPosts: 6,570
    I strongly doubt that there will ever be another "deep" SW MMO.

    It's probably the most expensive IP in gaming, so whoever holds the license will no doubt look for the best commercial opportunities and the highest ROI. That means short development times and high monetization potential.
    SovrathcuraXodicdelete5230GdemamiErillionKyleranSteelhelm
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Wouldn't be surprised if EA one day announced that they are making Star Wars Citizens.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,052
    They might need to make deep Star Wars movies first. Just kidding... sort of.
    laxieXodicpantaroStjerneoddHarikenCarpeOmnia
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,286
    Unlikely. Super expensive IP + an underdog genre (sandbox MMO) doesn't exactly equal great returns. Your best hope is for someone successfully reinvent sandbox games, and have them strike it big. But then there'll be complaints about why you can't gank everyone, or why you can't pop down houses wherever you choose (and completely ruin the game's landscape), or whatever feature people decide to bitch about.
    Sovrath

    My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

    Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

  • XarkoXarko Member RarePosts: 785
    Not in next 10 years.
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,194
    Nope not a chance in hell.The licensing alone means the game will suffer a lot.Perhaps in another 75-100 years when people don't care about the IP anymore,the licensing might come begging to get notarized,i just don't see it happening in our lifetime.
    Do i even want another SW's game,no i don't think so,i prefer some creativity,lightsabre's and pew pew are too dated now.

    Besides even on SWTOR's 200 mil budget,they did not come close to delivering an HQ game,so what would it take, 500 mill,a billion?Or perhaps a real producer with a real team that can work efficiently and quickly.

    I prefer to see all the Wow's,Diablo's,Final Fantasies,Elder Scrolls all disappear for something new and creative and deep without having to pay any licensing fees.Soon i see a licensed ip,i know the developer is just in it for the money,there is NOTHING in a known IP that cannot be done with creative minds on their own.


    pantaroGilcroix

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • ianicusianicus Calgary, ABMember UncommonPosts: 632
    I doubt it, the masses of casual players dont really want deep games anymore. I can understand why, I would barely have the time for another one these days with a wife, a kid and a second kid on the way. My serious gaming days are mostly done.
    Octagon7711
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus LondonMember EpicPosts: 1,339
    Viper482 said:
    The question is "will there ever be another deep MMORPG?"
    It should be "will there ever be another MMORPG?"


    TorvalSovrathMadFrenchieNildenGisrieMikeB
    Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?
  • XodicXodic RealityMember RarePosts: 709
    edited October 8
    Here's what we do.

    Launch a Kickstarter, raise funds to buy a Star Wars license, and then give it to Obsidian.

    Rejoice.

    edit; There is another option.

    Launch a Kickstarter, raise funds to buy EA, and then burn the bitch to ground.

    Rejoice.
    Post edited by Xodic on
    Azaron_NightbladepantaroOctagon7711StjerneoddSteelhelmpsychosiz1
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,745
    Doubtful. But I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Star Wars survival game  ;)
    pantaroOctagon7711
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,286
    Xodic said:
    Here's what we do.

    Launch a Kickstarter, raise funds to buy a Star Wars license, and then give it to Obsidian.

    Rejoice.

    edit; There is another option.

    Launch a Kickstarter, raise funds to buy EA, and then burn the bitch to ground.

    Rejoice.
    That would have to be a KS that beats SC in scope!

    My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

    Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member EpicPosts: 18,228
    When you restrict to a particular IP, the answer is probably "no".  If you want another game kind of similar to Star Wars Galaxies, you're going to have to refrain from limiting yourself to the Star Wars IP.
    Torval
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAMember RarePosts: 3,557
    The closest we got was The Repopulation but who knows if that will ever come out because right now it's in limbo with going to a new engine. Honestly the best bet will be some indie dev coming out with a game incredibly similar to Star Wars. But then you are relying on the fact that some small dev company is going to actually end up finishing that game. So far I have no faith a game like this will ever actually come out again, unless magically in depth sandbox games get popular. 
  • TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 6,243
    Closest thing I have seen so far to SW and it's still in development.
    http://rebelhorizons.com/






  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 88
    The closest we got was The Repopulation but who knows if that will ever come out because right now it's in limbo with going to a new engine. Honestly the best bet will be some indie dev coming out with a game incredibly similar to Star Wars. But then you are relying on the fact that some small dev company is going to actually end up finishing that game. So far I have no faith a game like this will ever actually come out again, unless magically in depth sandbox games get popular. 

    The Repopulation got acquired by Idea Fabrik, the developer of the Hero Engine some time ago. Haven't really followed the development though.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 8,322
    I think after the triple trilogy is finished and the filler movies are finished, after the fans have seen all the animated series they can stomach, after the fans touch new EU novels with a 10 foot pole, they might look to fill the void with something ....

    that could be a high end quality TV series ...

    or a new SW MMO.

    Maybe even with a strong VR component.

    But i would not hold my breath to see one in the next few years.


    Have fun 
    Kyleranbwwianakiev
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,305
    Viper482 said:
    The question is "will there ever be another deep MMORPG?"

    Sadly this is probably the truth. 
     :'( 
  • dave6660dave6660 New York, NYMember UncommonPosts: 2,647
    I wish they would give Star Wars a rest.  And not just games but movies too.  The franchise is 40 years old and has gotten progressively worse with each new movie and game.

    The word "originality" has left the Hollywood lexicon.
    Steelhelm

    “There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

  • Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 21,020
    Wizardry said:
    Nope not a chance in hell.The licensing alone means the game will suffer a lot.Perhaps in another 75-100 years when people don't care about the IP anymore,the licensing might come begging to get notarized,i just don't see it happening in our lifetime.
    Do i even want another SW's game,no i don't think so,i prefer some creativity,lightsabre's and pew pew are too dated now.

    Besides even on SWTOR's 200 mil budget,they did not come close to delivering an HQ game,so what would it take, 500 mill,a billion?Or perhaps a real producer with a real team that can work efficiently and quickly.

    I prefer to see all the Wow's,Diablo's,Final Fantasies,Elder Scrolls all disappear for something new and creative and deep without having to pay any licensing fees.Soon i see a licensed ip,i know the developer is just in it for the money,there is NOTHING in a known IP that cannot be done with creative minds on their own.
    In 75 to 100 years you wont need any license unless Disney once again bribes to have the copyright llaws changed.

    I don't think the IP really is perfect for a "deep" game anyways, space opera is really intended for that. It is a huge shame that CCPs WoDo was cancelled since an intrigue MMO actually have far more potential to be "deep".

    If you want to make a deep sci-fi game it would be more logical (not to mention cheaper) to use an IP like Babylon 5 but I assume OP and I don't have the same opinion what is deep and really is asking if SWG 2 ever will be made. I doubt it will.
  • TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 6,243
    edited October 12
    Loke666 said:
    Wizardry said:
    Nope not a chance in hell.The licensing alone means the game will suffer a lot.Perhaps in another 75-100 years when people don't care about the IP anymore,the licensing might come begging to get notarized,i just don't see it happening in our lifetime.
    Do i even want another SW's game,no i don't think so,i prefer some creativity,lightsabre's and pew pew are too dated now.

    Besides even on SWTOR's 200 mil budget,they did not come close to delivering an HQ game,so what would it take, 500 mill,a billion?Or perhaps a real producer with a real team that can work efficiently and quickly.

    I prefer to see all the Wow's,Diablo's,Final Fantasies,Elder Scrolls all disappear for something new and creative and deep without having to pay any licensing fees.Soon i see a licensed ip,i know the developer is just in it for the money,there is NOTHING in a known IP that cannot be done with creative minds on their own.
    In 75 to 100 years you wont need any license unless Disney once again bribes to have the copyright llaws changed.

    I don't think the IP really is perfect for a "deep" game anyways, space opera is really intended for that. It is a huge shame that CCPs WoDo was cancelled since an intrigue MMO actually have far more potential to be "deep".

    If you want to make a deep sci-fi game it would be more logical (not to mention cheaper) to use an IP like Babylon 5 but I assume OP and I don't have the same opinion what is deep and really is asking if SWG 2 ever will be made. I doubt it will.




    Thing about the Star Wars IP is that the fans love to live the experience, it has always been this way. It is as "deep: as you make it; which is kinda the fun thing about Star Wars. SOE tried to give us that experience with SWG and Disney is giving that to fans with "Galaxies Edge" the new Star Wars theme park area of Disneyland and WDW. It will be a totally interactive, immersive and engaging experience where you will select a faction and take quests throughout the park itself.

    "Our intent is to make it feel as if you just walked into one of the movies... Bringing Star Wars to life in the physical world gives us the opportunity to play with a whole bunch of things we've never done before... to really engage all of the senses. What does that street feel like? What does that animal smell like? What does blue milk taste like?"

    "The new planet is designed for guests to begin their own narrative. The Millennium Falcon attraction will feature a customized secret mission"

     They are also working on  Star Wars themed Hotel in WDW that will guests to feel like they are living on actual space station set in the Star Wars universe.  Cosplay is allowed and recommended (not required) and they want make it feel like you are living on a station in the world of Star Wars.

    Where SOE failed with SWG is the lack of real direction; it was too open ended for most people to accept as a game. Most times players found themselves asking "where do I go?" "what do I do?". The creatives ones found their and created their own narrative and where able to stick around a lot longer. I mix of both open ended design with a mix of directive content would do the next "Star Wars Galaxies like" game some good. People don't mind being uncle Owen, but if you have no goals what's the point of living the adventure?

     In a way, Star Wars needs to be open ended. What is life like for that spacer walking down the street? or that bounty hinter, or smuggler who tries to remain in the shadows? There are millions of stories that can be told in the world of Star Wars, which is what Disney plans to do. This current trilogy we are in now with The Last Jedi being number 2 of 3 is the last in the Skywalker storyline and they are currently setting the stage for new stories to be told. We're just getting started here and the cash cow has finally been realized by a company that can and will do something new with it.

    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/d23-star-wars-land-disneyland-1201571059/


    Oh and another article to go with the one above.

    http://massivelyop.com/2017/04/17/disneys-new-star-wars-ride-is-half-an-mmo/


    Post edited by Tiller on
    Torval





  • KonfessKonfess Dallas, TXMember RarePosts: 1,616
    The only thing standing in the way of a "Deep" MMO are Play For Free gamers.  So long as gamers want to play MMOs for free and not spend a cent, there is no chance of a "Deep" MMO being made.

    Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.

  • TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 6,243
    Konfess said:
    The only thing standing in the way of a "Deep" MMO are Play For Free gamers.  So long as gamers want to play MMOs for free and not spend a cent, there is no chance of a "Deep" MMO being made.
    Unless  they do what ZeniMax and Areanet do with ESO and GW2. I think those two companies found the perfect formula, for now.

    ExcessionKyleranConstantineMerusTorval





  • Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 21,020
    Tiller said:
    Konfess said:
    The only thing standing in the way of a "Deep" MMO are Play For Free gamers.  So long as gamers want to play MMOs for free and not spend a cent, there is no chance of a "Deep" MMO being made.
    Unless  they do what ZeniMax and Areanet do with ESO and GW2. I think those two companies found the perfect formula, for now.

    I wouldn't call either perfect but at least acceptable and I can live with that.

    Still, @Konfess theory does not hold water unless he think MMOs were deep 7 or so years ago before the F2P craze took over in the west. 

    @Tiller : I get what you say but I never felt SWG really felt like one of the movies. TOR feels a lot like Clone wars though but that isn't a good thing in my book.

    You could certainly make a MMO that have the feeling of the movies but you need to develop specific mechanics just for that. Just the fight mechanics to get something feel like the movies is rather hard to get right, and what you can do with the force and the mechanics to do it in the game is not something easy.

    Of course TOR makes you the hero while SWG makes you more like an extra but does that make it "deep"?

    I am as much SW fans as most others but the real theme of SW is heroic space opera. If you want a deep good Sci-fi IP you should look on Frank Herberts "Dune" instead (but avoid the lousy Lynch movie). 
    ConstantineMerusAzaron_Nightblade
Sign In or Register to comment.