Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO has the most entralling world?

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
I just watched some Elder Scrolls Online play and I was wondering which MMO feels like it is the most immersive world. I haven't played path of exile in a week so I may have broken that addiction and may try new games. I just bought darkest dungeon but haven't played it yet. 

I finally get 2 days off. I've worked the past 33 days (10+ hours + on call at night) in a row so yay . . . I'll get some time off. Even though it is not really as I have a wedding and a Coldplay concert to go to. 

So which one?

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
immodium

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Well the title says MMO , and POE is at best coop , but a very fun ARPG

And Darkest  Dungeon is a single Player game ....

Darkest Dungeon imo is the more immersive experience of those
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2017
    One of the things I hate in MMOs is how they just gloss over the respawn mechanic and just have some stupid explanation like "The gods decided it wasn't your time yet." EVE is the only game that really addresses it head on and that makes the whole universe more interesting to me because you have a much better sense of your character's place in the world.
    ConstantineMeruspantaroCaldicot
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Pathfinder Online!!!
    Eldurian
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2017
    i think that question is really more based on personal experience and preference. For example, no matter how vast and beautiful a game world is, if it lacks rich story, lore and life-like npc behavior that is involved in the world itself and its story, then the game is not enthralling or immersive to me.

Its gotta have a combination of those things. And of course other factors, but to me those are the more important. Also interaction with the environment and many quality of life details in game are important too. An empty world or one that you cannot interact with can be really just boring.

To me personally, Tamriel(ESO), Azeroth(Warcraft), and Tyria(Guild Wars) are the most immersive because of the combination of those things i mentioned. That´s really why i play those games and love them.

Many mmos have one or the other things i mentioned and lack the rest, and that hurts the immersion. How can i feel immersed in a game world where all npcs are lifeless statues? or the story is just an afterthought but you never know what is happening in that world because the main activity is just mindless grind for levels even though the world is beautiful. That is really a shame.
    H0urg1assNepheth

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    For me it's BDO. A vast, gorgeous open world, with plenty of secret places to explore, cities that feel alive, and stunning weather effects and day and night cycles. And soon snow will be returning as well. Runner up would be GW2.
    kertin

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I agree with Rojo.  Immersion means completely different things to different people.

Personally, I find myself more immersed in things that are less fantastical and more grounded in some form of reality.  For instance, I never found WoW or EQ style games immersive because they are so far from reality. 

Age of Conan, on the other hand, was incredibly immersive for me because although it has supernatural elements, the world looks real, the weapons and armor aren't ridiculous caricatures, and the playable characters are all human.

EVE Online is the same way.  I can get immersed in EVE because, technological leaps aside, the lore is very human and I can see exactly the types of empires springing up that actually exist in the world.  It's easy for me to see my character's place in the overall picture.
    rojoArcueid
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Eldurian said:
    One of the things I hate in MMOs is how they just gloss over the respawn mechanic and just have some stupid explanation like "The gods decided it wasn't your time yet." EVE is the only game that really addresses it head on and that makes the whole universe more interesting to me because you have a much better sense of your character's place in the world.
    Doesn't EVE make it so you are a clone? isn't that the same thing as "the gods have decided ..." but in a different setting? I mean, that's just a "sci fi" way of saying "the gods haven't decided" ...

You died and medicine and your contracts of made it so you continue ...
    You died and your faith made it so you continue ...

If anything most mmorpg's don't have an explanation.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Eldurian said:
    Doesn't EVE make it so you are a clone? isn't that the same thing as "the gods have decided ..." but in a different setting? I mean, that's just a "sci fi" way of saying "the gods haven't decided" ...

I get your point, but the gods version is just silly when it happens a lot. I'm sure gods would give up on me on my 17th death. But clone is in my own hands, I upgrade it, take care of it, find a nice looking clone to share the pod and have their own little clones.

Only fantasy games with good justification of respawning comes to mind are Dark Souls and Bloodborne. That's where creativity helps the immersion.

"Ahhh, another one, roused from the sleep of death?
    Well, you're not alone. We Unkindled are worthless. Can't even die right. Gives me Conniptions." 

Gave me chills. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I think a lot of voice over is important for immersion, personally. So.. Elder Scrolls Online, Secret World, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 are ones you might consider. If you are looking for an MMO...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    BDO, FFXIV, WoW.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    BDO, EVE, Elite Dangerous, SWG, UO

Out of those. UO and EVE are tied for most immersive to me. If you ever played UO, you will know why. EVE because they explain death really well (like said), very immersive space game. You feel like it could really exist.

Elite Dangerous comes in 2nd...most realistic space simulator that you will ever play until the far future when games become even more realistic. It comes in 2nd because its mostly grinding and not much content. The space itself is probably more immersive than EVE, but I kinda prefer EVE still.

SWG and BDO tie for third. SWG most realistic star wars game that ever came out. BDO is very immersive, probably most immersive fantasy world after UO.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    To answer your question between the two games choices I think Darkest Dungeon for sure.
    Scorchien
    Chamber of Chains
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    For me it's LotRO, and AoC as second. It would be even on par with LotRO, since the world and the ties to the lore is just as good, but the limitations of the engine (confined zones with loading screens instead of a seamless world like LotRO) puts it only to the second place for me.
    Gorwe said:
    ... and LoTR:O skirts around this issue by not calling its HP Health. It's MORALE.
    Not just a simple renaming :wink: that was one of the initial design ideas, and a lot of things were built with that in mind. At defeat you don't die just kneel down in despair (if you are in a fellowship - when solo then yeah, automatically "run" to the nearest safe spot to rest), minstrels don't "heal" but bolstering the courage through war cries and keeping up the party morale with their music, the hope/dread system (which is a shame they didn't use for Mordor, and instead they've brought back that radiance-ish grindy crap they once got rid of).
    Even the "death penalty" is an added dread about your defeat, which you can counter with hope.

TSW... man I miss that game... and true, they've made the other side as part of the game, where you can go (and come back) at will. And the explanation is not Bees, dig a bit deeper :wink: and look at the Mitsubachi.
    gunklackerGorwe
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Eldurian said:
    Well, the two MMOs that come to mind that explain this pretty decently are SWTOR and LoTR:O. SWTOR employs medical drones and such to revive you(not sure what happens when you teleport to nearest MedCenter though) and LoTR:O skirts around this issue by not calling its HP Health. It's MORALE. Meaning that once something defeats you, you aren't killed. No, no, no. You simply ran away. This also explains quite beautifully why your health dips in the presence of Cargul or raises in the presence of Gandalf. Oh and TSW has the explanation with Bees, rather nice too. But I agree. Oftentimes it's completely unexplained. The worst is when death / rez mechanics ruin the world like in GW 1. Look, if rez is so common, why even care about dying? When a character dies in the story, it derodes the moment so much...
    I really kind of consider that a crap explanation. So you always get beat but they just miraculously happen to drag you away before you die. Potentially hundreds or thousand of times.
    Sovrath said:
    Eldurian said:

Absolutely not. EVE puts a ton of emphasis on the fact you are a "capsuleer" with a crap ton of lore surrounding what that means. Yes you are a clone but it's not just "you are a clone" and then left at that. There is lore explaining where they got the technology, how it's used, etc. and most NPCs will recognize your capsuleer status when interacting with you.

When you compare how in most MMOs there is no lore surrounding how you keep coming back and NPCs seem to just brush it under the rug as compared to EVE where:

They keep bringing it up
    And bringing it up
    And bringing it up
    And bringing it up

That's what I mean by addressing it head on. In games like WoW you see little to no lore surrounding the fact your character keeps coming back from the dead over, and over, and over. In EVE it is a central theme of the lore and game.

And how could you have the ability to keep coming back from the dead and NOT have it be a central theme of the lore? For me at least this puts EVE a cut above most MMO lore because the suspension of disbelief they are asking for is a lot smaller than "Ignore that you, respawning over and over in the corner!"
    Post edited by Eldurian on
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Most immersive world is probably LOTRO.. or DAoC for me.
    LOTRO has a great story and as for DAoC... man once I get into a realm I totally get immersed in it and the war against the other 2.

gunklacker

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Anarchy Online's world will always be amazing to me.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    ESO is also the most interesting world to just go out and explore in for me.
    ConstantineMerusXarkoJemcrystal

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    I would say Lotro, if by enthralling you mean wanting to be involved in the quests and activities of whatever region you were in.

But then you mention "immersive", that's such a personal thing and gets bandied around so much we don't even mean the same thing when we talk about it. For example for some "immersive" players zones are an anathema, for me they are of no consequence.

I have come to think "immersive" means 'being a game I like', which does not get us very far. :)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2017
    Gorwe said:
    It's not bees? Hm.
    Nope, the bee gulping is just a prerequisite, sort of. Don't take everything granted you see in cutscenes... :wink:  like when Beaumont says sadly he doesn't have time to grind you into fine dust - he doesn't know well enough, we can come back from that too. We can go to Hell and get incinerated to ash, without raising an eyebrow.
    Not fully immortal though, Lorraine showed that death (real, final one) is available to us as well, but it's very hard to get there.

Nope to the AoC part as well :wink:  AoC has regular death and resurrect mechanic like in other games, the only difference is (as it was discussed earlier in a thread seeking heavy death penalties) that it's maybe the only older game where they haven't dumbed down the death penalty over the years, so dying 2-3 times in a row has severe effect on your performance. The Mark is just a tattoo, a leftover reminder as soon as the evil was banished from you at the start of the game.

As for DT... his magic has similarities to necros, but still different, plus he's a frontline heavy fighter, and that's just not the Stygian way, they don't have any.
    Mages, Set priests, assassins and rangers, those are more to their liking, for the melee combat they just use an army of slaves.