Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harry Potter MMORPG?

1234568»

Comments

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

Originally posted by andeemann10

For some reason people assume that a Harry Potter MMO must mean it is at Hogwarts. In my opinion, that would be a really stupid thing to do. You should be able to play as an adult wizard who is fighting against/for voldemort. Your tutorial could be your last days at Hogwarts as a seventh year, but thats the most we should see of it.

There have been several dark lords and death cults in the Harry Potter universe including Dumbledore, and I can't remember whether or not Grindelwald actually survived the last book. There are also a ton of magical schools and towns that have been established. However around game...6 it was I believe, EA completely revamped all 3d models and layouts so i would definitely count on Hogwarts being an area of content you can explore.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

Originally posted by MightyBee

I am a big Harry Potter fan but I wouldn't play such a game, I guess. How do the developers imagine the storyline? We already know how it ends.

Well, unfortunately Rowling (the author) obviously has her fingers in this project and she deliberately left the series open-ended with a bigger backstory. Like i said earlier I'm not even sure all of the Dark Lords and cults actually died or were resolved by the end of the series- and even if they were, another or five would rise anyway since it's established that there have ALWAYS been at least one dark lord and a myriad of cults at any point in time with the universe.

• ROMVSROMVS Member UncommonPosts: 10

If they ever make an MMO, I wish they would make one that isn't all pvp, I'd love the idea of a living breathing role play Harry Potter world that you could interact with.

Turn out Pottermore is basically an online store to buy the ebook version of the Harry Potter book. All you have to do is hand over your email address, and they will let you know when you can give them your money and play with yet another sorting hat thing.

• johanan12johanan12 Member Posts: 49

Its a console game :)

• import1978import1978 Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by MightyBee

I am a big Harry Potter fan but I wouldn't play such a game, I guess. How do the developers imagine the storyline? We already know how it ends.

Your an idiot! We all knew how Lord of the rings ended, but yet the MMO is awesome. It has still not made it to the end. That is the whole point of an mmo even if u know the ending, the point is to lvl up and make it to the end. You have no idea about gaming.

• nikolitenikolite Member Posts: 6

That would be nice, but it will have so many expectations.

So the  dissapointment should still be a posibility.

• Famorabear17Famorabear17 Member Posts: 2

Not if you have a good imagination, it won't be. All they have to do is think big and complex like you said. I would love to play a Harry Potter MMORPG. And I'm 17 and still a kid at heart. I always will be till the day I die.

• mbdsmithmbdsmith Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Famorabear17

Not if you have a good imagination, it won't be. All they have to do is think big and complex like you said. I would love to play a Harry Potter MMORPG. And I'm 17 and still a kid at heart. I always will be till the day I die.

I like your attitude.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

A good Harry Potter MMO would capture the elements of the universe and allow players to live in a unique world and explore what it is to be a wizard.

The actual Harry Potter MMO that would be released would have you leveling, with people like Dumbledore having quests over their heads and directing you from one hub to the next. Combat would be tedious, and nothing would go anywhere.  A static world full of crap.

Until game developers get out of their lazy mindsets, a Harry Potter MMO would suck.  Horribly.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Please god don't let Bioware get their hands on it.
  • doctorvkqvjdoctorvkqvj Member Posts: 5

The text of harry potter is what would limit the game if made into MMO. While taking the broad world view and concepts, the game should introduce new elements.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Ask them over at "Matrix Online" how a character driven IP fairs as an MMO.  Character driven IP do well as single player games, becuase people want to be those characters.  Not Background grunt 437  Maybe Clarice Mingeclaw could befeat Dumbledore the III and bring me his wand.  Or perhapse Hurbut Dongbottom could bring me 20 Death Eater cowels. How about someone deliver these Puking Pastilles to Dill at the Hog's Head Inn.

I see people being disapointed in the quest selection, or the choice of enemies.  What this guild of 10 just defeated Voldemort, again?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

My wife and daugther would play casually.  I would have no interest in such a MMO.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Originally posted by Konfess

Ask them over at "Matrix Online" how a character driven IP fairs as an MMO.  Character driven IP do well as single player games, becuase people want to be those characters.  Not Background grunt 437  Maybe Clarice Mingeclaw could befeat Dumbledore the III and bring me his wand.  Or perhapse Hurbut Dongbottom could bring me 20 Death Eater cowels. How about someone deliver these Puking Pastilles to Dill at the Hog's Head Inn.

I see people being disapointed in the quest selection, or the choice of enemies.  What this guild of 10 just defeated Voldemort, again?

Yeah, that.  This is why such an MMO would have to go beyond current context of things and create more of a social model to base the game off of, keep up with exciting elements like Quidditch and Dueling, and expand to allow characters to have a wide range of what they want to do.  Current games would never allow for that.

This is an MMO that needs to wait until the tech and innovation is around to support it.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by lifesbrink

Yeah, that.  This is why such an MMO would have to go beyond current context of things and create more of a social model to base the game off of, keep up with exciting elements like Quidditch and Dueling, and expand to allow characters to have a wide range of what they want to do.  Current games would never allow for that.

This is an MMO that needs to wait until the tech and innovation is around to support it.

Harry Potter can work as MMORPG, when they set the timeline AFTER the events of Harry himself!

The game can start for example, where everyone starts as a year one student along the children of Harry and co. at Hogwards!

This way they can come up with infinite ideas for quests, adventures, stories, etc. And yes! Even Voldemort could return AGAIN.... he did it before, he will find a way again.

Matrix Online was a great game... it was just launched too soon, with too many server stability issues, glaring exploits and a meriad of bugs that plagued the game from the start and drove people away within the first few months!

I was there from closed beta till months after release!  I had a blast with that game! It's just a shame Monolith was incompetent, ran out of money and didn't know how to handle an MMO post-release!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    It could be like a 3d version of Skool Daze on the ZX Spectrum
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by lifesbrink

Harry Potter can work as MMORPG, when they set the timeline AFTER the events of Harry himself!

The game can start for example, where everyone starts as a year one student along the children of Harry and co. at Hogwards!

This way they can come up with infinite ideas for quests, adventures, stories, etc. And yes! Even Voldemort could return AGAIN.... he did it before, he will find a way again.

Matrix Online was a great game... it was just launched too soon, with too many server stability issues, glaring exploits and a meriad of bugs that plagued the game from the start and drove people away within the first few months!

I was there from closed beta till months after release!  I had a blast with that game! It's just a shame Monolith was incompetent, ran out of money and didn't know how to handle an MMO post-release!

I also enjoyed the MxO for two years from launch, it was a great game.  My point is that everyone expected to be Neo, Trinity, or Morpheus and not RedPill #12.  My Post had nothing to do with technical  glitches, and everything to do with player expectations.  You make a Sherwood Forest MMO and everyone expects to be Robin Hood, and not merryman 51.

Ok lets try and flesh this out.  Hogwarts is a boarding  school, do you simulate a kid attending 6 classes a day and doing homework at night?  Or do you play as a kid with no classes running around the campus doing kill quests and playing quidditch when ever you like?

Personally  I think under a new headmaster the teaching style would be "modernized".  On monday you show up for class, say Herbology.  Your professor gives you an assignment ( mission ), go into the Forbidden Forest and collect 20 samples of plant X.  Plant X is an aggressive plant, and this is part of a quest chain if you are specializing in Herbology where you learn to master and control such a plant.  Maybe you learn to call them in combat as pets to fight for you.  Herbologist becomes a buff, crafting, and pet class.  The point is each class becomes a quest giver and a magic specialization  path.

As for Voldemort, I suspect he produced several  illegitimate  heirs of Slytherin.  Possibly Bellatrix Lestrange, had twins in Azkaban.  Maybe all the black sisters, Andromeda and Narcissa helped to keep the Slytherin line going.  This might be a little too controversial for an IP based on a kids book.  If not Voldemort-Slytherin could be a new family name, ie. Lord Errol Voldemort-Slytherin.

I was not a fan of the single player HP games.  Wizards Marbles as a mini-game?  The funky mouse movements to cast spells, no thank you!

Maybe a HP Universe MMO could work if the questions of game play were answered.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• ZellykZellyk Member Posts: 1

Excuse my language/writting skills i'm french canadian :S.

I've wished for years that an Harry Potter mmo would come out. The thing is when I was younger all I wanted was to kill Voldemort. Now, after thinking about it for a bit... If someone would come out with an Harry Potter Mmo' I think that they would need to change the recipe. IMO raiding and killing bosses if overated, it is fun but after a while it comes to the same mechanics again and again... Then PvP it is always the same thing... What would be nice is that There would be 1 class I.E sorcerer. But after that We could specialized in classes/specialities/crafting By attending classes on different day. They could rotate on day/weeks. So that way we could attend all classes/event/specialazation class depending on our free time... I would'nt mind leaving the ''level'' out of the game, and giving us something more epic like years spent in school.. Would eliminate the grinding from the game. 

I could whritte alot more on the topic but this is just some quick things that i've had on my mind...

• lovebigbuttslovebigbutts Member Posts: 3

So let me get this right - if they make this thing, I will be able to run around with my wand out in public,  with hot teenage girls, firing my  big balls of light into the face of baddies??

Sounds better than watching Xfactor.
  • IchiRyutarouIchiRyutarou Member Posts: 7
    Something to rival Pottermore, I guess? 
  • TWCMarkusTWCMarkus Member Posts: 1

If you guys want do have interests in a Harry Potter MMO, then I'm glad to point out one. It's not fancy like Wizard101. The whole 3D stuff is great and all, but do you remember the days of 2D tile games? Pokemon was mostly that. And that is what I'm talking about. Harry Potter : The Wizards Chronicles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvUbbzm5haM

Harry Potter : The Wizards Chronicles! Experience the magic of the wizarding world through your computer, with no cost to you, aside from the hours and hours of gameplay you can enjoy.

All you have to do is go to the link provided and click the Play Now button and download the game! That simple!

If you love Harry Potter, try this game out. This game has hours of fun with others LIKE YOU! Just look at the possibilites!
    *Choos your house. The Brave Gryffindors. The Cunning Slytherins. The Clever Ravenclaws. Or the Talented Hufflepuffs?
    *Ollivander will help you out with choosing a wand.
    *Tom the bartender will need your help cleaning out the celler after you talk with Professor palmer outside. 
    *Get your own vault where you can keep your own items and let you choose who enters.
    *Get your own broom and fly around the brilliantly laid out landscaped maps of Hogwarts and the surrounding areas. Just try not to get caught flying inside, or the teachers will make you crash and take house points.
    *Wear your invisibility cloak and stir up trouble.
    *Explore Hogwarts like never before with multiple floors with secrets just waiting to be found!
    *Choose as side in the fight against good and evil, or stick neutral and fight em' all!
    *Compete against other witches and wizards in a Free For All, or help out your house in House Wars!
    *Read books to also earn EXP to level with. If you don't find that fun, go kill monsters such as the Archangel, Acramantula, Basilisks, and even the fearsome and deadly demon rat! AND EARN GOLD AND EXP FROM IT! MWAHAHAHAHA!!
    *AND MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE!!

It's up to you to choose the how you fight, use spells, and transform others into onions. All you have to do is download the game, and start your adventure!

Link - http://wizardschronicles.com/?ref=ripspear

Just click this link and it'll bring you to the download page. Download the game, start it, click new, and begin your epic Journey in Hogwarts

http://forum.wizardschronicles.com/ - Look here at the games forums for guides, announcements, and more.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?! Join now and enjoy a fast growing MMO. More players everyday, new ideas being thought of, more experience for all.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    For some mysterious reason a Harry Potter MMO sound like a decent idea image