Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harry Potter MMORPG?

Comments

• babyburnikbabyburnik Member Posts: 44

i think its market will be very good.. kids and teens will play it i suppose..

• repapipsrepapips Member Posts: 450

Hate me for this or curse e, i cant blame you but i really don't like Harry potter!!!

For me Harry Potter sucks Big Time from books, PC game, Console game  to movie!!! I hate it!!!

So we'll see if MMO harry potter will perform well

• echardheromiechardheromi Member Posts: 6

I think it would work out fine, I am A fan of the series of books of Harry Potter myself.

I think it would work only if they would make a new story line to go with the game, say for example, make a story of the son of Harry Potter and the "unknown son" of He-who-must-not-be-named a few years later after the time of the latest released book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. I think that would be nice.. And I'm pretty sure that it would be a sure hit.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

not sure if this has been mentioned, but i just noticed a new mmorpg entry of Wizard 101.  Looks to be the korean knock off of harry potter.  It appears to be p2p with a trial.

might hold some of you potter heads over untill a real hp mmo comes out.

• MusicalOathMusicalOath Member UncommonPosts: 1

Chamber of Chat exists.

It pretty much is a hogwarts online.

• LedZep89LedZep89 Member Posts: 30

Here's some pretty cool idea's I didn't see if anyone posted this link:

www.codingthewheel.com/archives/summoning-the-harry-potter-mmorpg

• MCLustt910MCLustt910 Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by ratheon

I would play it if it was going to be a MMO. It would be a wonderful game, something truely different.

I agree entirely. An RPG that plays on a book series I read as a child, and treasured, and wished they'd made more of? Excellent.

• ThalariusThalarius Member Posts: 125

IMHO this is not going to happen. JKR will just file a massive lawsuit so she can get any money off the project and game itself.  She gives a bad reputation to all British people by being greedy.

• CrypticaLCrypticaL Member Posts: 2

I would give it a try if there is some decent work, but if it will be like the Single player Harry Potter gamer (Not just one ALL are awful), definately nevermind.

• amkolixamkolix Member Posts: 2

Wouldnt play. I didnt like the console games...

Play Sudden Attack. It owns ur face!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Bucket full of fail.

• catfudcatfud Member Posts: 135

Harry Potter doesn't interest me in the slightest let alone an MMO. But at the end of the day a great MMO is a great MMO regardless of IP. I just don't see a Harry Potter MMO being 'great'

------------------------------------------------
    Founder of The Divine Council of Pyr
    MMO: Ryzom - RF Online
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ryzom FREE Trial: PLAY NOW!!! - The must play MMO!

• hihisakurahihisakura Member Posts: 2

well so-oh-rryy. have you read the series?

It is not just a childish fantasy, it also deals with alot of adult themes and things that we encounter in every day life- including death, which is the main theme. They are just like us, just placed in a world that us imaginative 'children' could only dream about. The later books are very adult as Harry grows up, and you can relate to all their problems and issues. And for the themes, just read between the lines,and even adults can relate to it. Harry Potter is for ALL AGES.

Sorry if I sound a bit snippity, but  to me, Harry Potter is much more than a childish fantasy.

• hihisakurahihisakura Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by tcarita

Originally posted by ratheon

Oh I know the name doesn't make the game. What I would hope is that they take a lot of the lore and the School enviornment in it. I don't know exactly how I would describe it. I would expect a lot of new ideas and methods to obtaining goals and skills in the game. Maybe the player would have to learn about the spell they want to aquire and meet the requirements to get it other then reaching a certain level.

In my humble opinion i think that the Name can make the game, so basicaly you can build a crappy game and sell like hell...

Harry potter is childish fantasy, so it will always apeal to youg children, but that is my opinion...

well so-oh-rryy. have you read the series?

It is not just a childish fantasy, it also deals with alot of adult themes and things that we encounter in every day life- including death, which is the main theme. They are just like us, just placed in a world that us imaginative 'children' could only dream about. The later books are very adult as Harry grows up, and you can relate to all their problems and issues. And for the themes, just read between the lines,and even adults can relate to it. Harry Potter is for ALL AGES.

Sorry if I sound a bit snippity, but to me, Harry Potter is much more than a childish fantasy.

• JJYYDN1JJYYDN1 Member Posts: 14

attracted by this hot topic title by Harry Potter  MMORPG.  Is this game famous only by its name? 

• noxxnoxx Member UncommonPosts: 120

I would play it if it came out........but it would not last long....games that are reruns of movies, books,  or t.v. either dont seem to last long....dont maintain a large crowd ....or just die before they get out of beta....

we know the begining of the story,,,,,,the end of the story,,,,,,we just hang around  long enough to see what the devs did to the middle :)........i think thats why eq and wow did so very good.....from begining to end a new wild world unseen and unheard of before......so devs if u are listening......:)

boring to view all posts. anyone know  when will this game come out? 

• Biohazard931Biohazard931 Member UncommonPosts: 196

So this is what happens when MMORPG.com makes a thread about Harry potter. I lost count of the novice member kiddies wanting to play their fav school hero, Mr. Potter in an MMORPG.

But seriously, why do all the novice people come in here when we mention harry potter? Also, why did the OP even think that it's a good idea to make a harry potter mmorpg. Lame.

EDIT : LOOK ON THE FRONT PAGE -.-

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270

Non-condescending version: It's not coming out.  This is just an idea/wish thread. EA considered making a HP MMO, but no one cared enough about it to do anything with it.

The Illusion of Choice

• LedZep89LedZep89 Member Posts: 30

I would love to see this game put through, but it has to be done right. If it's done right, I think it could succeed. Here are some ideas:

You would first create your character (You have to create a unique one, everyone can't choose to be Harry/Ron/Hermione). You choose which school you want (Hogwarts, Durmstrang, Beauxbatons etc.) Then maybe you can have some stat points and different types of magic to choose from. You could put stat points in Transfiguration, Charms, Care For Magical Creatures, Herbology, Potions, Defense Against The Dark Arts, etc. These could correspond to what you want to become once you graduate. If you had put a lot of points into Care For Magical Creatures, you could work with Dragons like Charlie Weasley. An Auror (Dark Wizard Hunter) would be balanced in near all these schools.

You would start at the school you chose, and be sorted. I haven't thought of a decent way to do this, as a quiz sounds too simple... But depending on which house you were sorted into (Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, or others if you chose a school other than Hogwarts) you would have different experiences than you would of had you been sorted into another house. This way, players can create more than one wizard and have a unique experience each time.

As you level, you gain more stat points. Using these stat points will give you access to more classes, and more complicated and powerful spells.

PVP in Hogwarts could be a combination of Quidditch and/or Dueling. Quidditch would be multi-player PVP. You would meet friends in the quidditch court, and form a party for a quidditch team. Each player would be assigned a position. Then you would go against a different school.

Dueling would be more 1v1 PVP. You would have to challenge another player to a duel, or perhaps a randomly selected opponent. You would have to voluntarily duel another person. It would be chaos if people could run around shooting spells at will. Dueling another would not "kill" them (at least not while your still in your school) you would duel until one person has defeated or disarmed the other.

Once you graduate, that's where the real fun begins. You can choose a profession, depending on what you "majored" in at your school. Work in the Ministry, become an Auror/Death Eater (or just a Dark Wizard if Voldemort hasn't risen to power yet/has been defeated depending on the timeline of the story), work with Dragons or other Magical Creatures, become a wandmaker and study wandlore, etc. All these professions would give you a fully unique experience.

Just some thoughts...

omg, i thought this game will coming out in the near coming days.  But still a good idea to nake a vote here.

• FunIsRPGFunIsRPG Member Posts: 7

I'd play it forsure but maybe it's just because i'm a die hard fan :P. I think it would be interesting and i've been hearing quite a bit that they're going to make one, I guess we will have to just wait and see.

FunIsRPG

• msmesosmsmesos Member Posts: 1

How did Nexon America begin maple story and what exactly is Wizet’s relationship to Nexon? What is Wizet’s current status?Nexon America is Nexon Corporation’s North American publishing maple story mesos and game service arm. We started with the localization of MapleStory for North America, and have grown to support multiple game launches in North America. Wizet is the developer of maplestory mesos and also a subsidiary of Nexon Corporation. The Wizet team continues to develop and add content to maple story around the world.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by noxx

I would play it if it came out........but it would not last long....games that are reruns of movies, books,  or t.v. either dont seem to last long....dont maintain a large crowd ....or just die before they get out of beta....
    we know the begining of the story,,,,,,the end of the story,,,,,,we just hang around  long enough to see what the devs did to the middle :)........i think thats why eq and wow did so very good.....from begining to end a new wild world unseen and unheard of before......so devs if u are listening......:)

Were you aware that there is a game called Lord of the Rings Online?  You haven't heard of it?  It's been around two years and is still going strong.  And, even though we all know the beginning and end of the story, one of the main attractions is the Epic Questline where you follow in the footsteps of the Fellowship.  Going through Moria is worth the price of admission all by itself.  So, I believe that your premise is completely wrong.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I would loveeeeeeeeeeeee to have a harry potter MMO.    But I wonder how they would work it.  After the Books? During? Before?

Would be so much fun.