Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harry Potter MMORPG?

Comments

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Argh, so everything I wrote got lost.....starting again:

I think a Harry Potter mmorpg would be a flash in the pan success and then flop, if it can even be made at all.

1.) Consider that although a previous poster wrote it in jest to make his point, but I suspect many nations around the world will likely frown upon a game that depicts kids fighting and potentially killing one another.

2.) Consider the difficulties of working with an established intellectual propertly. While it may be easy to immerse one's self into the Harry Potter books, JK Rowling did not create that expansive of a "universe", unlike Tolkein did or Lucasfims approved for the Star Wars Expanded Universe.  Therefore, most new content created will be done so by the developer, thereby giving the feeling that a generic mmo had some Harry Potter paint slapped onto it (sounds like what happened to Star Wars Galaxies too.)

3.) Consider that given the world is framed around the 7 teenage years of school, it will be very challenging to illustrate progress of your character, both physically and through skills as s/he matures, as well as the HP universe.

4.) Consider what there will be to do.  Questing?  Only our 3 heroes really got into mischief.  Suddenly our characters are all in the same position as Jedi, too many running around.  Unlike LotR or Dragonlance where other parties could be running around making minor contributions to the grand war while experiencing big adventure, again, this is all framed within the familiarlity of the school.  Speaking of the school, shouldn't students go to classes?  Will subscribers want to go to classes?  Removing classes eliminates a large element of the world though.  Quidditch?  Would be great fun but we would have to see multiple teams per house in a ladder style of competition as I doubt subscribers would settle for just 28 people on the shard being able to play.

So, that's me playing devil's advocate off the top of my head.  I think if people want the harry potter experience, they'll be better suited to going to the theme park (http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/)

Originally posted by alexisg

Hi,
    I was just reading through these topics and this caught my attention. I am a MMORPG developer. Lol I develope 2D MMORPGs. But still I would not mind making a Harry Potter one which will be fully free. Also when my team develops a game we usally start with 2D and move on to 3D. So it depends on how many people we get playing the game. We also take MMORPGs request at http://www.heroesofsparta.com
    About the harry potter MMORPG please give me a thumbs up if you would like me to start on making an alpha version of one and post your ideas either here or on my web site thanks ^^
    For more questions please either email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

I think you would be wasting your time if you thiink it would actually be opened to the public.  If it's your own personal thing, set up for a few friends or you want the challenge of attempting to do it, go for it but anything open to the public will get slapped with a cease and desist order as you don't have the rights or permission to do it (of course, that is an assumption but I suspect if youdid have permission, you would be advertsiing it! ; ' )

• TheRealNarekTheRealNarek Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by therain93

Argh, so everything I wrote got lost.....starting again:
    I think a Harry Potter mmorpg would be a flash in the pan success and then flop, if it can even be made at all.
    1.) Consider that although a previous poster wrote it in jest to make his point, but I suspect many nations around the world will likely frown upon a game that depicts kids fighting and potentially killing one another.
    2.) Consider the difficulties of working with an established intellectual propertly. While it may be easy to immerse one's self into the Harry Potter books, JK Rowling did not create that expansive of a "universe", unlike Tolkein did or Lucasfims approved for the Star Wars Expanded Universe.  Therefore, most new content created will be done so by the developer, thereby giving the feeling that a generic mmo had some Harry Potter paint slapped onto it (sounds like what happened to Star Wars Galaxies too.)
    3.) Consider that given the world is framed around the 7 teenage years of school, it will be very challenging to illustrate progress of your character, both physically and through skills as s/he matures, as well as the HP universe.
    4.) Consider what there will be to do.  Questing?  Only our 3 heroes really got into mischief.  Suddenly our characters are all in the same position as Jedi, too many running around.  Unlike LotR or Dragonlance where other parties could be running around making minor contributions to the grand war while experiencing big adventure, again, this is all framed within the familiarlity of the school.  Speaking of the school, shouldn't students go to classes?  Will subscribers want to go to classes?  Removing classes eliminates a large element of the world though.  Quidditch?  Would be great fun but we would have to see multiple teams per house in a ladder style of competition as I doubt subscribers would settle for just 28 people on the shard being able to play.
    So, that's me playing devil's advocate off the top of my head.  I think if people want the harry potter experience, they'll be better suited to going to the theme park (http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/)

1) I don't think they would make this game so that you could kill each other until you're out of school. They would just have duels to knock someones wand away or make them unconscious.

2) JK Rowling didn't really need to make that large of a world because its all based on our real world. She just "tweaked" it so to speak with magic and magical places and creatues.

3) I'm not sure what to say about this one, but I'm sure there can be something.

4) Its not that hard to make classes interesting. You just do questlike things for them such as learn a new spell and fight with it against certain creatures or other obstacles. And for quidditch they could have something like how highschool teams do it like JV and varsity quidditch teams.

• OdiumarOdiumar Member Posts: 4

This could be a great game, or a flop.

Is the time frame before or after the events in the books?   Would it include the "school" as a tutorial?  How about the major characters?  If the developer did the Death Eaters too early, forget it...the game will die by the second expansion.  Continue the build up too long and your base loses faith in you.

Besides, J.K. Rowling has so much money right now, what would motivate her to authorize the MMORPG?

• BOYVIRGO666BOYVIRGO666 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Lasherino

I'd love to kill low level 12 years old boys, loot them and then camp for a couple of times !
    Ok now more serious....it could be cool, I'd give it a try if it'll come out :)

this would be my life in that game i would pay just to be able to do that

genius inside insanity

• yoyo10910yoyo10910 Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by BAMarkoPolo

I've been hearing rumors about a Harry Potter MMORPG, this surprises me, anyone else heard anything?
    Yah, Id definatly play, they were gonna make it in 2001, but they cancled it... but i think it would make a GREAT MMO. In 2001 they were gonna call it Hogwarts Online. I hope they do!
  • hotpiehotpie Member Posts: 191

guys, do you think this is nice ? ?

• DragonTDragonT Member Posts: 3

Guys,

just to let you know, there is a new movent going on to get EA to actually do the MMO, EA holds the rights for the MMORPG allready and just need to do it.

If you really want this to happen, I think this is the way to do it:

You can join me in signing here: http://www.petitiononline.com/honline/    

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

harry potter is lame.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by yoyo10910

Originally posted by BAMarkoPolo

I've been hearing rumors about a Harry Potter MMORPG, this surprises me, anyone else heard anything?
    Yah, Id definatly play, they were gonna make it in 2001, but they cancled it... but i think it would make a GREAT MMO. In 2001 they were gonna call it Hogwarts Online. I hope they do!

seriously, grow up man, harry potter is for kids.

• DragonTDragonT Member Posts: 3

Ronan32,

why are you here if you are grown up? Playing games is in most cultures not very grown up, or is it?

However, is that not why we are here ? Just to find something new to play. Seriously there are games which

seem to me less grown up than a HP MMORPG ... hmm, but I think there are always people that do not like it. Fine with me.

It is a free country , isn't it?

Cheers,

Dragon

• andeemann10andeemann10 Member Posts: 237

For some reason people assume that a Harry Potter MMO must mean it is at Hogwarts. In my opinion, that would be a really stupid thing to do. You should be able to play as an adult wizard who is fighting against/for voldemort. Your tutorial could be your last days at Hogwarts as a seventh year, but thats the most we should see of it.

------------------------------
    "Capitalism is currently working as intended."

• HeGGeR86HeGGeR86 Member Posts: 7

This could be a pretty cool MMO, fantasy, Adventure, Mystery, Magic...

create your own custom wizard, fight along side harry, dumbledore, hermoine, ron

or....eventually on the side of lord voldemort...or a greater evil, who knows, could expand on the universe with J.K.'s approval...could be very interesting.

• socomplaya12socomplaya12 Member Posts: 6

If they can actually make a decent game out of it..i would buy it

i doubt it thought limited places to go in harry potter except a big school

not gonna be a massively multiplayer online game

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186
    Originally posted by socomplaya12

If they can actually make a decent game out of it..i would buy it
    i doubt it thought limited places to go in harry potter except a big school
    not gonna be a massively multiplayer online game

Actually there is quite literally anywhere to go as normal places can double for the wizard guys. I have read the last book, and while I did not like it that much, it does significantly expand the magical world. There are several principle towns and villages that are mentioned, while others are alluded to/left open for discussion just in the british locale. Remember that Hogwarts isn't even the only school, its just the one the main character goes to.

Just using what was from the books, actually named:

You have the Ministries of Magic for each nation.

At least five schools where the students speak english

Two mentioned, but major, prison centers (Nurmengard and Azkaban)

At least seven principal towns/villages

Wizarding blocks and areas hidden within normal cities like London.

The mountains where the Giants live.

Chunks of land (forget the place) where the dragons live.

... Man that is quite enough to be getting on with in my opinion.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

If they make a harry potter rpg is going to be BAD AS LOTRO!

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • CathalaodeCathalaode Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by Anzie

If they make a harry potter rpg is going to be BAD AS LOTRO!
    LOTRO is an alright game, I played it for a while. Harry Potter though would suck.

Sit in class, pass notes.

Get in a fight with someone from another house.

Go to detention.

Repeat until summer.

Wander London, but you aren't allowed to cast spells because someone might catch you.

Go back to school.

So an MMO where you can't cast spells outside of school, PvP would get you kicked out. No PvE, and above all, every single quest is schoolwork.

Originally posted by Cathalaode

<...>

So an MMO where you can't cast spells outside of school, PvP would get you kicked out. No PvE, and above all, every single quest is schoolwork.

You are so off base, I hope you are joking? You managed to get the basics of the story wrong.

1) Students could and did perform magic outside of school.

2) The students dueled each other in their _classes_.

3) Students can duel outside of classes.

4) Nothing that could be considered PVE? Are you kidding me?

~back to MMOGs

Anyway, you sound like you have a very closed mind especially considering how the base material is actually very open. I have said it before, and Ill say it again, the potential is massive and the possibilities endless.  Im going to guess you just hate the series and anything to do with them?

• Akira111Akira111 Member Posts: 17

oh god, please please please no harry potter mmo

Originally posted by andeemann10

For some reason people assume that a Harry Potter MMO must mean it is at Hogwarts. In my opinion, that would be a really stupid thing to do. You should be able to play as an adult wizard who is fighting against/for voldemort. Your tutorial could be your last days at Hogwarts as a seventh year, but thats the most we should see of it.

But...if you're not going to be interacting all that much with Hogwarts, then there isn't all that much left that is Pottersque to reference.  Why even bother calling it a Harry Potter mmo?  Why not just create a game where you can cast spells and fight in a war?  Hmmm, that might just sell....

See post 52 for other thoughts on this....

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

This thread is 2 YEARS OLD!! you lot must be very bored rofl

Originally posted by Vortigon

This thread is 2 YEARS OLD!! you lot must be very bored rofl

In my defense, I've never necro'd this thread, only responded to it.  The first time I responded, back in August, I hadn't even realized it was that old ( ' ;

Originally posted by therain93

But...if you're not going to be interacting all that much with Hogwarts, then there isn't all that much left that is Pottersque to reference.  Why even bother calling it a Harry Potter mmo?  Why not just create a game where you can cast spells and fight in a war?  Hmmm, that might just sell....

See post 52 for other thoughts on this....

Read my posts in the previous page. There are tons of other places in the universe. The last Harry Potter book doesn't even take place anywhere near the school, until the last few chapters.

• OdiumarOdiumar Member Posts: 4

I've heard a rumor that Disney is going to create a "hogwarts" area in their theme parks.  So an MMO isn't all that far fetched.  Rowling has given us just enough lore to start with and left the posibilities wide open.

• perloxperlox Member Posts: 15

I would definitely be interested in a game that followed the Potter universe. I actually was thinking about this this summer during work and came up with some cool ideas. Here's a Harry Potter wiki:

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page?utm_source=Spotlight&utm_medium=Banner&utm_content=b1778&utm_campaign=HarryPotter120_Sept03

If they used the same rules and applied new game rules they could create a really complex and well designed universe. Plus can you imagine how sweet it would be if you could have Quidditch as a profession and play actual World Wide tournaments, have professional teams and what not. Endless possibilities...