Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harry Potter MMORPG?

Comments

• Viper_OneViper_One Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by fantasygirl
    Okay ilnteresting. First off, isn't that the point of the forums in this site to express our opinions on certain games (which I was doing btw until people started being stupid about it.) Second of all if you're just going to say that you think I"m entitled to my opinon 4 different ways and wording it different please don't. Just say it once and be done with it, thanks. I think that a Harry Potter MMORPG would be cool but I doubt it would attract a crowd of our age group (18 and up) as it's more for kids (at least I think the games are.) With that said, there' syour on topic post for the day and now I'm going to go while away the hours on something more worthwhile than defending myself against silly people well not people but comments like the last one.image

Well, since my reply obviously went completely over your "english major" head, I'll disect it for you.  Watch carefully how each and every sentance of your post directly correlates to my response.  In fact, I'll even color code the specific sentances which are related to each other just to make it even easier for ya...

Additionally, I bolded and underlined the text that directly references your previous sentance.

fantasygirl : "First of all, you are entitled to your opinion no matter what it is."

RATFather:  "1:  You are entitled to your opinion, just as you said I was entitled to mine... so I won't knock you for it."

fantasygirl : "Second at least use proper grammar for goodness sakes! I know this is a gaming site but come on, how long does it really take to fix some stupid spelling errors? Maybe it's the English major in me coming out (oh wait I'm one already! hehe) but I hate it when people do that."

RATFather: "2:  Since I believe you are entitled to your opinion, I will not attempt to insult you by picking apart what or how you wrote your response.  It's below me."

fantasygirl : "At any rate I think it would be a good idea so don't knock other stuff just because you think it is a bad idea or it sucks go tell your friends (or whine rather), leave the real conversations and debates to people who give a flying f***.image "

RATFather: "3:  Since I really, really believe you are entitled to your opinion, I won't contradict myself by suggesting that you express your opinions elsewhere."

"4:  Have a nice day."  ... e.g: #1 didn't really apply, did it?  <<--- Rhetorical (spelling is probably wrong, tough crap)

The point being, in the end:  I don't care or mind that we have differing opinions.  A debate can be stimulating and educational, and I welcome it with a mutual nod and tip of the hat.  Situations like that deserve a peer to peer acceptence of some form of mutual respect or understanding.

However, when someone, in one breath, tells me I have a right to my opinion, then blasts my thread for something that isn't even on the topic, then in the end completely reverses and contradicts their own "You have a right to your opinion" statement  by telling me to express my opinions elsewhere... than I am just going to have to respond in like manner.

So now that we are done 'courting' each other, lets just agree to disagree, and give each other that nod I was talking about.

-RF

• fantasygirlfantasygirl Member Posts: 26

Well, point taken. Now then since we've agreed to disagree and btw I understood what you were trying to say the 1st time I was just trying to summarize what you said! Sheesh get a grip, second let's get back on topic for Christ's sake, and talk about the Harry Potter MMORPG instead of people's petty differences. That would be nice wouldn't it? image

p.s.-don't knock the English majors we don't appreciate it, and let's see who will be editing your papers/articles/whatever you decide to write work on later in life? Oh wait that'd be me so I guess I get the last laugh don't I? If you want to dispute THAT go right ahead, I'll just ignore you.image

Heidi

• lucky326lucky326 Member Posts: 11

If they are making a harry potter mmog i would have to say that this is bad timing. it would be better timing if they were to start making it after the release of book 7 i have a feeling book 7 will reveal some of the secrets crucial to make it.

• KyleTRichterKyleTRichter Member Posts: 4

Believe it or not, I think a Harry Potter MMORPG would be nice.  I, myself, enjoy the books, and I think such a game would be stimulating to the fanbase of the series.  It would give those of us a chance to experience Rowling's masterpiece firsthand through the eyes of the author.

Simply put, however, this depends solely on the work of the developers.  The slightest misconception on their part could throw a wrench in the whole idea, as it is such a disputed matter.

Harry Potter is an amazingly written story, and almost everyone that reads it likes it.  However, society is populated by those who are more concerned with acting older and more mature that embracing thier inner child.  Again, I believe this game, made with the correct graphics and detailed gameplay would draw some of the Harry Potter magic into those stubborn people, and stimulate the spark in all of the fans.  :)

Forever Observing,

Kyle Richter

President,

Southeast Missouri Chess Association

• velocityvelocity Member Posts: 102
    a haary potter mmorpg is cool like you can choose griffoender or zwaderich its so cool !!!!!   better if there gonna mnake 1 and fast ^^image
  • MacsenMacsen Member Posts: 62

Well for those of you who want the mmorpg to come out I recommend signing this petition.

It might not work but it won´t kill you :)

http://www.petitiononline.com/honline/

• petrickopetricko Member Posts: 84

Harry Potter online would be an awesome game. Creating your character and going through the house selction process and going through the years at Hogwarts would rock. And it wouldn't even have to be only at hogwarts but the whole wizarding world. If they do ever come out with it, it probably would quickly be the largest MMO to date with all the fans around the globe. Only downfall would be the number of little kids playing the game, but anyone can take satisfaction in jinxing them continuously in the Hogwarts Hallways, LOL.

• lancecagelancecage Member Posts: 12

from planet gamecube: http://planetgamecube.com/previewArt.cfm?artid=3464
    "One is that EA Europe HQ in Chertsey is doing the development duties on the Potter game. We’ve also learned that the planned MMORPG Harry Potter Online was just one of many things EA was planning to do with the license. What else is happening is anyone’s guess as the online aspect was canned. E3 is coming fast & we’ll soon see what magic EA has in store for Potter-fans on the game front."

I'm not sure if the "online aspect" being canned refers to the MMORPG option, although it seems like it does.

• fantasygirlfantasygirl Member Posts: 26
    Sounds cool, hope that there is an actual MMORPG that comes out, it would be one that I would actually play.image

Heidi

• Adamskiii100Adamskiii100 Member Posts: 8
    I found ot the name of the webpage

http://www.hogwartslive.com/home.php?

I quite enjoyed the game . There are not that many things to do after the first few miniutes exept wait for another day .

• xela666xela666 Member Posts: 22
    it wud be gay all they hav iz crap magic the best iz the killing cures (n ill dowt u wud beabul 2 use it) so nah ill giv it a miss
  • motiv3motiv3 Member Posts: 30
    what would be good, is that the game is designed around the Hogwarts School. So you have like spell lessons, broom training. What would be good is that you can play quiditch (sorry for spelling) with other real people! I know you would get loads of kids but it is Harry Potter so what would you expect. if they don't rush this and think about what would be fun and what people what want, then this could well be one of the best Harry Potter games out..
  • xela666xela666 Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by motiv3
    what would be good, is that the game is designed around the Hogwarts School. So you have like spell lessons, broom training. What would be good is that you can play quiditch (sorry for spelling) with other real people! I know you would get loads of kids but it is Harry Potter so what would you expect. if they don't rush this and think about what would be fun and what people what want, then this could well be one of the best Harry Potter games out..

since u put it like that it dont sound that bad

• thepkerthepker Member Posts: 192

Harry potter 4 has been a real letdown both as a movie and rpg.. I shudder to think about what might happen if it became an MMO... Dont they need rights from J.K. Rowling to make a profit based one.. 1 place.. the SCHOOL 7 years implemented to be like levels with lessons n other stuff that raise it.. Spells

I dont think it will work

• kozikurukozikuru Member Posts: 8

I think a Harry Potter MMO would be awesome.

First there's a foundation created in the novels (which I just started reading this year).  For example there's the concept of spells, charms, hexes, jinxes, curses, potions, etc.  You can see different skill trees forming... or even the concept of character classes.

There are four houses in the school... this could be the basis of character "race" -- although there are various half-breeds which could also serve as character race.  Examples are giant, werewolf, and Veela (the pretty mascot of the Bulgarian Quidditch team).

The school would serve as the newbie area to learn the game... just like all good MMOs have a new player introduction area.

I think there is tons of potential and it would be a blast to play.  There's not reason it couldn't have universal age appeal, just like WoW.

• thejudge1thejudge1 Member Posts: 25

Shit no.

• bombermannbombermann Member Posts: 18

another mmorpg inspired to a film?

I don't know if it could become a massive mmo... the harry potters fan are mainly too young...

• YindariYindari Member Posts: 3

I think the idea would be cool to have an MMORPG wherein you start in a school setting to learn and master the basic skills for your class or profession then later when you leave school you have to learn you skills and actually practice them and master them to gain use of them.

• ZneeserZneeser Member UncommonPosts: 22

A Harry Potter MMO on the Wii :D

• entreri22entreri22 Member Posts: 35

that would be fun

• SquigglleSquigglle Member Posts: 4

harry potters stupid, why would they even make one??!?

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Man, talk about grave digging guys, we talked about this like... 2 years ago in this thread. lol.

Although, if you look at my original post on the first page, and what it links to, it hints to a possible Harry Potter MMO.

Although, again, that was 2 years ago, and no word.. so... good luck.

• pepsispritepepsisprite Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by theanimedude

Man, talk about grave digging guys, we talked about this like... 2 years ago in this thread. lol.
    Although, if you look at my original post on the first page, and what it links to, it hints to a possible Harry Potter MMO.
    Although, again, that was 2 years ago, and no word.. so... good luck.

Well, not only is it ancient... but that site no longer works (or at least for me.) I would like to see this but doubt it'd happen. Though the company that did whether it be EA or any other company, they'd make a bundle of cash. But if we haven't yet, and theres nothing new about this I highly doubt it..

• RhadielRhadiel Member Posts: 1

I'd love play it, I love HP and the I would like to get away from the normal RPGs. I'd like to create my own wizard, choose my own house, cast as many spells as i wish,  and actually, id like my character to srat out on age 11, then go thru years, 1-7.

• PieterPieter Member Posts: 29

It would knock WoW away any day if, and only if, it was done perfectly.

Reasons for this is that Harry Potter is the most succesfull commercial item of the last decade or something. It appeals to young and old, male and (this is the important one) female.

It's not hard to imagine that you start as 11 year old in Hogwarts, Durmstrang or Beauxbeautons with a certain 'race' (pureblood, halfblood, Veela, Werewolf, muggleblood, etc, etc), get chosen into a house by means of a personality test which can be adjusted so houses are evenly filled. After that there's 7 years of school to be filled in with pretty much ENDLESS possibilities to fill it in with classes, quidditch, dueling, nightly escapades and not to mention the Sims aspect of it which will suck in a large number of people.

After that you can go on with the real world, create an adversary to battle or maybe joining him. This adversery could be anyone from Voldemort, to Grimwald to whatever. Your school career(house, grades, activities, getting expelled) can affect your further life. There's Career posibilities, levelling, creatures. And afterwards you can start it all over in another school, house, family, new adversary, country. I imagine you can grow to be old, die, get a statue or be forgotten but still be able to find small signs of your presence in the world left behind.

In short, the possibility to actually be able to advance into a world with a huge fanbase are limitless and from an mmorpg perspective that means an endless cashflow.

Only problem for the fans is that EA isn't really known to go for the long term cash...