Starting Cities

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,666
    Rhoklaw said:
    I remember when EQ2 came out and they had the Betrayal quests for good / evil factions to change sides. It was more of a grind than anything else, but eventually you would be allowed to live in opposing cities and start a new life. However, that doesn't really fix the problem of which city you start in. To be honest, I don't think they've specified who spawns at which cities. Chances are, this whole argument might have simply been for naught, until we get an official answer.
    The entire argument has almost definitely been for naught,  I'm sure they already have a design firmly in mind (if not in place already) regarding where players can start and if there will be many (or any) fast travel options in game.

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• svannsvann san jose, CAMember UncommonPosts: 2,012
    edited October 14
    Amathe said:
    What I said was that a hobbit town would not have orc oriented quests. There could of course be some  general quests. Bear in mind, however, that this is meant to be temporary. It is only to facilitate new players meeting up. Not for orcs to settle in and live in the Shire.

The disquise would be magic, i.e a glamor. It is no more absurd than any other use of magic.

Your dislike of the idea does not make me a troll. 
    Ok you said disguise but you meant illusion.  Disguises can be used by anyone but they cant make a troll look like a hobbit.  Illusions are high level spells.  And if the orc is illusioned as a hobbit then what explanation is there for him not being able to do hobbit quests?
    Post edited by svann on
  • LegotheHuttLegotheHutt Astoria, ORMember UncommonPosts: 119
    Rhoklaw said:
    To be honest, I don't think they've specified who spawns at which cities.
    That information has been available for over a year at least...

Wilds End=Halflings

Skargul=Skar

Syronai's Rest=Myr

Thronefast=Human

Faerthale=Elves

Broken Maw=Ogre

That leaves Archai and Dwarves and Gnomes on Whitethaw (it's been awhile since I read it but there are references in the lore to where their racial cities are specifically, we just don't have a map yet.)  

3 races per continent was the original plan.

At this point they are so far behind schedule that I highly doubt we will see Whitethaw on release...but the other racial cities should still be accurate.

Kyleran
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Bluefield, WVMember UncommonPosts: 1,252
    Amathe said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Please stop trying to play victim in your own thread. 
    As the song says. It's my party and I'll cry if I want to. 

Only if you have the skill and determination to get to your party.
    Amathe

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,109
    I just want to start in a city,where i suspect we will start or even a starter isle is ok with me as well.

Just don't drop me down in the middle of nowhere with no plausible reason with an NPC with a yellow marker over it's head,i would scream bloody murder and remove the game so fast,even the registry keys would disappear.
    I am not a big fan of linear gameplay,connect the dots questing but as long as it looks immersive,no markers i am ok with it.I would love to see noob spots/npcs remain important to  the game throughout,example we have to constantly visit npc's and talk to them,maybe a quest opens up 20 levels later.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,109
    One of my biggest concerns is the game code.I don't want to see people data mining information they should not have,it will ruin the entire game for everyone,this to me is far more important than where or what city i start in.As well a repeat of Vanguard where i am working my ass off as a noob only to see a few players buying rares from rmt then controlling the early market with the best items.

I want to know the entire game is a leveling playing field,also why cash shops are huge concern for me as well.So yeah the starting areas,really are low on the totem pole,i would be satisfied with players starting anywhere they like but with small perks as done in FFXI.Example if your an Orc and start in an Orc city,you get 1-2 starting items related to ORC lore,if you start in a non Orc area,you get nothing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    I just want to start in a city,where i suspect we will start or even a starter isle is ok with me as well.

Just don't drop me down in the middle of nowhere with no plausible reason with an NPC with a yellow marker over it's head,i would scream bloody murder and remove the game so fast,even the registry keys would disappear.
    I am not a big fan of linear gameplay,connect the dots questing but as long as it looks immersive,no markers i am ok with it.I would love to see noob spots/npcs remain important to  the game throughout,example we have to constantly visit npc's and talk to them,maybe a quest opens up 20 levels later.

Nobody is talking about characters starting in the middle of nowhere.

People are complaining because they want a free ride to any possible starting area in the world, completely negating the concept of racial starting cities.

DullahanLackingMMOdcutbi001

Benjamin Franklin

Wizardry said:

People are complaining because they want a free ride to any possible starting area in the world, completely negating the concept of racial starting cities.

Truthfully, I'd sort of like starting in the middle of no where, with the time honored amnesia backstory, no idea who I am, or was, and a clean slate to forge my destiny.

From there I might wander into a dwarves town, and being an Orc they might throw me into prison, or make me a slave from which I'd have to escape.

Or I might go another direction and run into a troll village,  where I might be tolerated, if not necessarily warmly welcomed.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Nashville, TNMember EpicPosts: 2,726
    Wizardry said:

Complaining?  No.  Trying to be realistic in approaching the issue without a strictly purist view that will likely turn more people off than I think you guys are admitting?  Yes.
    KyleranAmatheMrMelGibson

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,388
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Truthfully, I'd sort of like starting in the middle of no where, with the time honored amnesia backstory, no idea who I am, or was, and a clean slate to forge my destiny.

From there I might wander into a dwarves town, and being an Orc they might throw me into prison, or make me a slave from which I'd have to escape.

Or I might go another direction and run into a troll village,  where I might be tolerated, if not necessarily warmly welcomed.

With this beginning, you also have your race, sex and appearance randomly generated.

Wizardry said:

Complaining?  No.  Trying to be realistic in approaching the issue without a strictly purist view that will likely turn more people off than I think you guys are admitting?  Yes.
    There are literally hundreds of lobby games that remove travel from the world if that is something you do not wish to deal with.
    Kyleran

Benjamin Franklin

edited October 18
    Wizardry said:

There are literally hundreds of lobby games that remove travel from the world if that is something you do not wish to deal with.
    Advocating for a more realistic approach to travel does not automatically equate to a call for a lobby based games.

Hyperbolic extremes do however tend to limit the conversation.
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    MadFrenchieAmatheMrMelGibson

edited October 18
    Wizardry said:

Echoing what @Kyleran said above me, there's no sense in discussing it if you guys simply want to pose a false dichotomy.

Allowing one to complete a quest early on in the game that would allow them to, say, join an NPC caravan and ride to another starter area to join someone they started the game with seems like a net gain.  Specifically if it's a one-time opportunity quest that cannot be revisited or repeated after that point.

The travel needn't be instant- which serves the additional purpose of allowing said player to glimpse the landscapes of the world as they ride by, enticing them to delve deeper into the game until they're strong enough to return to those landscapes to enjoy the content there.

The idea that it's all or nothing will severely limit the prospects of success in today's landscape.  I'm all for erring on the side of a slower-paced, more deliberate approach to everything in MMORPGs that allows me to enjoy the community and world thoroughly without feeling rushed or pressured to power level through it, but it also makes no sense to completely ignore opportunities to show those who may not have been around at the dawn of MMORPGs the reasoning for our desire for some of those design tenets to return, simply out of a self-spiting stubbornness.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    Kylerandcutbi001MrMelGibson

Allowing one to complete a quest early on in the game that would allow them to, say, join an NPC caravan and ride to another starter area to join someone they started the game with seems like a net gain.  Specifically if it's a one-time opportunity quest that cannot be revisited or repeated after that point.

Too bad that's not what certain people are asking for. What is being requested is stuff like:

Kyleran said:
    They could just let people choose where they wish to start in at character creation.

Worry about which area is best would appeal mostly to the min max crowd, but if people believe that to be true Devs can put caps on them when necessary.

Benjamin Franklin

edited October 19

Too bad that's not what certain people are asking for. What is being requested is stuff like:

Kyleran said:
    They could just let people choose where they wish to start in at character creation.

Worry about which area is best would appeal mostly to the min max crowd, but if people believe that to be true Devs can put caps on them when necessary.

Net result of either choice is exactly the same, one just takes some additional time.

So should Devs spend a lot of time creating this one time use quest, of which will appeal to a fairly limited audience?

They could just throw some meaningless go kill 10 rats quest, but then why bother, might as well go with my suggestion.

Or they could make it the epic quest and journey of the decade, squandering scarce and valuable resources on content likely to be used by a very small subset of the population. 

Or...they could just let players start where they wish, what the hell, sell it as an extra you can buy for each character if desired, 

More revenue for the Devs, everybody wins.

;)

(Look Maw, that bad man is trying to destroy our game)

>:)
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    Mendel

There are drawbacks to your suggestion too, you just don't agree with them. There are different classes and races and backstory for a reason. In a role playing game, one might argue they are rather important. You're suggestion is that they offer a way of minimizing that.
    dcutbi001

• MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,843
    Dullahan said:
    There are drawbacks to your suggestion too, you just don't agree with them. There are different classes and races and backstory for a reason. In a role playing game, one might argue they are rather important. You're suggestion is that they offer a way of minimizing that.
    Ultimately, what it comes down to is what writers call the 'Suspension of Disbelief'.  Here, classes, races and backstory are presented as a consistent lore.  But the mechanisms of starting (character creation and pregame decisions) present a different 'lore'.  Both sides ask the audience to believe along certain lines.  In this case, the in-game lore and the pregame mechanisms are slightly out of alignment.  Neither is right; neither is wrong.

I don't think @Kyleran is asking for anything world-shattering, just a simple mechanism added to the pregame decisions -- where does my character start?  It really doesn't break the in-game lore at all.  If anything, it could produce a more rich and vast experience by showing a non-homogeneous society.  Yes, there may be orcs living among the humans.  That isn't asking any more than a human player playing an orc or troll character.

I think there's a bigger reason why VR *might* actually allow variable starting locations.  "Separate but equal" didn't work well in life, why try to make it work in a game?  The in-game lore that presents segregation might turn out to be an antiquated idea that a sensitive section of the gaming population doesn't agree with.  I'm sure that VR doesn't want their game to be a political volleyball that fuels social unrest.  Bad for the business image.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Dullahan said:
    Ultimately, what it comes down to is what writers call the 'Suspension of Disbelief'.  Here, classes, races and backstory are presented as a consistent lore.  But the mechanisms of starting (character creation and pregame decisions) present a different 'lore'.  Both sides ask the audience to believe along certain lines.  In this case, the in-game lore and the pregame mechanisms are slightly out of alignment.  Neither is right; neither is wrong.

I don't think @Kyleran is asking for anything world-shattering, just a simple mechanism added to the pregame decisions -- where does my character start?  It really doesn't break the in-game lore at all.  If anything, it could produce a more rich and vast experience by showing a non-homogeneous society.  Yes, there may be orcs living among the humans.  That isn't asking any more than a human player playing an orc or troll character.

I think there's a bigger reason why VR *might* actually allow variable starting locations.  "Separate but equal" didn't work well in life, why try to make it work in a game?  The in-game lore that presents segregation might turn out to be an antiquated idea that a sensitive section of the gaming population doesn't agree with.  I'm sure that VR doesn't want their game to be a political volleyball that fuels social unrest.  Bad for the business image.

To clarify one thing, I'm not asking for this. I have no gaming friends or family I must play along side, so it doesn't matter to me.

I have a circle of friends who are mostly couples, very insular, there's about 10 of them who regularly group together in every game they play, so the last thing they want is to be forced into one area or continent or be kept apart of 10 or more levels.

While I'm the "disloyal" member of the group who frequently goes off to solo level, play other games, or even join different guilds in the same game they won't vary, if a game puts up a bunch of blockers to grouping together they won't play it.

Heck, if preserving the lore is so vital, then add in another new starting location, away from the other's  and let these folks start there and then visit the rest of the world as they wish.

Again, I don't really care, other than I would like to see my friends try this game, but if they can't group together easily and early they won't be interested. 

• MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,843
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    Dullahan said:

To clarify one thing, I'm not asking for this. I have no gaming friends or family I must play along side, so it doesn't matter to me.

I have a circle of friends who are mostly couples, very insular, there's about 10 of them who regularly group together in every game they play, so the last thing they want is to be forced into one area or continent or be kept apart of 10 or more levels.

While I'm the "disloyal" member of the group who frequently goes off to solo level, play other games, or even join different guilds in the same game they won't vary, if a game puts up a bunch of blockers to grouping together they won't play it.

Heck, if preserving the lore is so vital, then add in another new starting location, away from the other's  and let these folks start there and then visit the rest of the world as they wish.

Again, I don't really care, other than I would like to see my friends try this game, but if they can't group together easily and early they won't be interested. 

I may be in the same boat, @Kyleran.  I'm an outsider, even in my circle of gaming friends.  Of course, we're all kind of individuals prone to going our own way.

I like the idea of a 'neutral' starting zone, like a starter island.  If fact, it would be more interesting if the racial starting zones were made into higher level areas.  Capitals of great civilizations should be great cities where great deeds and events occur, not a place where newbs gather to whack a few rats.

The arguments in favor of the 'sanctity of the lore' bothers me.  It's all lore, and much of it hasn't been written yet.
    Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member UncommonPosts: 394
    I just don't want to put in any effort and start killing dragons with my friends who did. Can we get a super buff quest at the beginning of the game so I can go slay dragons too? You know if this game promotes grouping together with friends I see no problems with this.... 

/sarc
    Kyleran
    Gyva02 said:
    I just don't want to put in any effort and start killing dragons with my friends who did. Can we get a super buff quest at the beginning of the game so I can go slay dragons too? You know if this game promotes grouping together with friends I see no problems with this.... 

/sarc
    This here's the kind of attitude that, if allowed to govern the direction of the game, will ensure prompt and utter failure of the game.
    Kyleran

Gyva02 said:

/sarc
    This here's the kind of attitude that, if allowed to govern the direction of the game, will ensure prompt and utter failure of the game.
    Catering to convenience will kill this game as it has killed all the others. If you want to group with a friend in a different starting city you are going to have to learn how to get there, It's that simple. You either are a master of dodging mobs or you gain enough levels to get though the zones. A little give here and there that caters to convenience is what kills games. 
    Dullahandcutbi001
    I also thought the caravan idea was great with one problem. It involved NPC's. I think it would be better if the player had to ask a real person in their zone if they could be escorted. I'm sure a higher level player would come along and do that for you if you actually kept asking. That's what would make the game great, actually having to talk with other real players to get things done, not a convenience ask no one quest that does it for you.... 
    Dullahan
    Kyleran said:

If this game is anything like EQ, It's more like an hour or two.

That's how long it takes for a newbie character to run from Qeynos or Halas to Ak'anon.
    It's less time if everyone meets halfway, say Commonlands tunnel.

Benjamin Franklin

Kyleran said:

If this game is anything like EQ, It's more like an hour or two.

That's how long it takes for a newbie character to run from Qeynos or Halas to Ak'anon.
    It's less time if everyone meets halfway, say Commonlands tunnel.

Maybe a few hours longer the first time, but yeah. The fact that places are separated by distance and time is one of the most important ways of bringing the world to life. At least to me...
    dcutbi001