The 10 Best Story-Driven MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

123457»

Comments

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 9,930
    The fact that AC did not make the list, tells me that Bill didn't play it.
    Well I played it and I loved it. But story driven? Give me a break. AC just like most early MMOs was all about grinding with rudimentary story snippets here and there.

Story driven MMOs didn't really happen until the 2nd or 3rd generation. Basically WOW and later. It's synonymous with quest driven.
    KyleranAzaron_Nightblade
    When you come to a fork on the road, take it.
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.

-- Yogi --
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox NottinghamMember UncommonPosts: 858
    I think Star Trek Online shold be in there somewhere to be honest
    TheScavengerTalonsinGorwe

imageimage

• WylfWylf Boston, MAMember UncommonPosts: 315
    #1 The Secret World, hands down is in a league by itself.
    WoW, Rift, ESO, & SWTOR all deserve top ten rankings, doesn't matter the order. Though as has been pointed out SWTOR has some great stories and some poor ones, is kinda of a mixed bag.
    GW2?????????? not sure where that came from, would not make my top 5.
  • ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAMember EpicPosts: 3,973
    Iselin said:
    Well I played it and I loved it. But story driven? Give me a break. AC just like most early MMOs was all about grinding with rudimentary story snippets here and there.

Story driven MMOs didn't really happen until the 2nd or 3rd generation. Basically WOW and later. It's synonymous with quest driven.
    Disagree strongly with this one , AC had a fantastic story line that was enhanced with live monthly events , Now you may not have taken part or followed which was not neccasary , But it was there and it was quite good
    drivendawnSirAgravaine
  • xMorbidAngeLxMorbidAngeL alkmaarMember UncommonPosts: 9
    guild wars 2 sorry but thats just a joke the story is ok but not really that good
    in my few SWTOR is nr1 for me

also i dont see warframe ?? because it have a very deep story with a lot of twist
  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALMember RarePosts: 1,984
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:

Disagree strongly with this one , AC had a fantastic story line that was enhanced with live monthly events , Now you may not have taken part or followed which was not neccasary , But it was there and it was quite good
    Yes, some of the side epic quests were very good as well.
    SirAgravaine
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,290
    guild wars 2 sorry but thats just a joke the story is ok but not really that good
    in my few SWTOR is nr1 for me

also i dont see warframe ?? because it have a very deep story with a lot of twist
    Probably not considered a MMO by the author.. or he never played it.

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon ParisMember RarePosts: 3,277
    Iselin said:

You mean EQ2 and later, it's was the first quest driven MMOs before WOW, only two weeks but the fact is it came out before WOW. 

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member UncommonPosts: 309
    Iselin said:

http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Arcs 

No game compares to the consistency and frequency of live events in AC's first 24 months. 
    drivendawnScorchien
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,290
    Iselin said:

You mean EQ2 and later, it's was the first quest driven MMOs before WOW, only two weeks but the fact is it came out before WOW. 
    Surely you mean AC2, releasing in Nov 2002 and is considered to be the game both EQ2 and WOW "borrowed" the idea of quest driven progression from.

I've corrected you previously on this, you must have forgotten

;)
    lahnmir

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,069
    Well, I think the shock factor of putting GW 2 in the first place worked rather well. Think this thread would have even quarter of replies if the list was less...innovative?
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,223
    Gorwe said:
    Well, I think the shock factor of putting GW 2 in the first place worked rather well. Think this thread would have even quarter of replies if the list was less...innovative?
    Yep. He's a cunning one, that Bill.
    Kyleran

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

• DreycraftDreycraft NJMember UncommonPosts: 96
    Bill DID make it clear in this article's intro that story quality itself was not a factor, but more how it was presented. But at the same time I will say that that is pretty absurd to not factor that in when making a top 10 list of story driven mmos. I guess he stated that just so he could make GW2 number one, because how they delivered story was great, but the story itself was meh. My personal favorites would be:

1) SWTOR
    2) ESO
    3) WoW and LotRO tied- I'm a Warcraft and LotR lore fanatic
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Kansas City, MOMember UncommonPosts: 656
    GW2?? Hell no. GW1 should be up there for sure, but GW2 was a mess.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• cameltosiscameltosis ipswichMember EpicPosts: 1,562
    I would be extremely curious to see what sort of criteria you used to judge these games.

For me, the term "story driven MMO" is oxymoronic - in general, the more story driven a game, the less MMO it is. So, a game like SW:TOR which is almost 100% focused on the story, is one of the worst MMOs ever built. Its story might be good (though, i would dispute that, its story sucked) but the whole rest of the game sucks.

If you are just judging the games on their stories alone - which is what most of the commentators seem to think - then I want to know your criteria. Are you judging on the actual stories themselves (i.e. the plots)? Are you judging the quality of the writing? Are you judging the presentation / voice overs? Are you judging the actual player engagement / actions required to play through the story?

See, for me, a game like SW:TOR has an absolutely atrocious story. The class stories are predictable and short lived. The planetary storylines are a bit more engaging but buried. The side-quests are generic crap. The later, larger storylines suffer badly from over-escalation. So, on the story alone, SW:TOR would get a 2/10 from me. But, SW:TOR has the presentation nailed. The voice overs are well done, the animations and social choices really help. Then, there are plenty of small scale instances to personalise / differentiate the story gameplay and make it feel more epic. This goes some way to mitigate the shitty writing, so overall I'd give SW:TOR a 5/10 when including everything story related.

LotRO, on the other hand, would be at a 7/10 in comparison. The actual story itself shits all over SW:TOR. It flows better, it is much better written, it interacts cleverly with the main events from the books without becoming ridiculous and is far more realistic - yes, I'm a strong adventurer and a bit of a local hero, but I'm not the saviour of the world so it actually fits within an MMO. However, it is now dated, doesn't have voice overs and stuff and with less options, you can't streamline your story experience like you can in some games which brings its overall score down.