The night before you loved the game, next day not so much

2»

Comments

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILMember UncommonPosts: 478
    I remember when I first experienced this.  Exactly as you said.  Had been playing UO for months.  Couldn't wait to get home to play, logged in and said eh I don't want to do this.  Didn't touch the game again for probably a year.  Funny.

I will hit that wall from time to time on gaming, where one day I just say I am done.  I stop gaming and do something else with my time.  After a break I come back to play something, sometimes the break is a week, once for six months.  Usually about a month off though and I am good to go.

Great post by the way.
  • centkincentkin Asbury, NJMember UncommonPosts: 1,206
    Usually it comes right after some major grind of some sort.  You spent significant time for some goal, then you have it, and you fall out of love with the game.  On some level you are unwilling to "go through that again."
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,069
    I get that feeling a lot, and it is because i have so many games to play that i am very indecisive. One day i have a blast playing X game, then the next day i am debating whether to continue playing X or try Y game, then there is also Z game whistling trying to get my attention, and so on and so forth.

Indecision with games makes me have those feelings the OP described. I usually let my mood determine what game i want to play on a particular day.

EDIT: but many times i end up not playing anything for a day or two, and that usually helps make up my mind and tackle a single game all the way to the end. But the whole cycle of indecision repeats quite frequently.
    To me it happens if there are too many choices WITHIN the game. Then I just end up creating a bunch of characters I play for like 25% of game and ultimately give up. Even if I otherwise like the game. So, sometimes I've to force myself to play the character to the end. I have never witnessed that indecision between games happen to me. I pick a game or two or three and just play them.
  • kitaradkitarad RomeMember EpicPosts: 3,623
    I have never been able to explain it so I put it down to me being flighty. I just suddenly don't want to log in at all or touch the game if it is a single player for some unfathomable reason but as someone else pointed out it must a subconscious feeling of unhappiness with some aspect of the game that finally overcomes you.

• ScotScot UKMember RarePosts: 6,435
    edited October 9
    This has never happened to me because I research the games I am going to play very thoroughly, which saves time and money.

Wait for reviews not previews, check out forums but remember no game can please everyone, check metacritic, look at steam for overall reaction, ask your gaming mates if they have played it or heard anything about it.

That might seem like a long time, but compared to playing a game for a couple of days and deciding it is not for you, it is no time at all.
    Post edited by Scot on

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy? :P

kitarad said:
    I have never been able to explain it so I put it down to me being flighty. I just suddenly don't want to log in at all or touch the game if it is a single player for some unfathomable reason but as someone else pointed out it must a subconscious feeling of unhappiness with some aspect of the game that finally overcomes you.

This is what is called a butterfly gamer, there is a world of mobile/cell games out there for you. Hopefully sometimes a game will capture your interest and you will love it and play it for ages. :)

25 Agrees

• kitaradkitarad RomeMember EpicPosts: 3,623
    I hate mobile games never touch them

kitarad said:
    I hate mobile games never touch them
    As an old caterpillar that is still enjoying games with depth that need a learning curve that is very good to hear. :)

25 Agrees

• RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXMember EpicPosts: 5,174
    edited October 9
    My opinion. Humans have built in psychological defense mechanisms that trigger if we believe something to be even slightly too good to be true. This becomes a lot more common if we've ever gone through a disappointing time that ended up affecting us deeply. While this is more common in relationships with significant others than it is with games, I think it's basically the same thing happening.

For instance, a lot of us may notice that no new games match that excitement we had with one of our first MMO experiences. Some of us may have even noticed we were far more dedicated to a specific MMO in the past than we are to other MMOs today. I personally played EQ, SWG, DAoC and even WoW pretty religiously ranging from 2-6 years. Since WoW, I don't think I've committed to any new MMOs for more than 6 months. I guess something just triggers in the back of my mind that reminds me that MMOs require a lot of time and input.

An example of this would be ArcheAge or even BDO. Both of these MMOs were what I thought for sure would be my next permanent home. I played both A LOT for the first 6 months and thoroughly enjoyed them. Once I realized just how much time was needed to maintain that level of enjoyment, this so called self defense mechanism, better known as self sabotage kicked in. Instead of enjoying the game, I found reasons to not like the game. Despite my enjoyment, I was worried that I would not be able to maintain the level of enjoyment needed to keep me interested like I used to back in the early days of MMOs.

So, in response to the OP. I think you still enjoy that MMO, but like me, you got cold feet because you're probably thinking you need to invest too much time and energy into maintaining that level of enjoyment. Anyhow, that's my psychology lesson for the day, lol.

P.S. I would also like to point out that MMOs are a truly unique and fascinating breed of games. The ability to socialize with others while enjoying a game is in my opinion, 1000% better than playing single player games. However, I know there are a lot of times we would rather play single player games because we don't want to deal with what I feel is a huge problem with MMOs today. That being the fact we have no control over certain variances in how MMOs work. The biggest issue is group content and finding a good group with which to enjoy this on a regular basis. Once we start devolving into PuGs for doing content, it's like the enjoyment becomes an empty void out of necessity to keep going. We do it because we have to, not because we want to.
    Post edited by Rhoklaw on
    Tiller

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 15,224
    The first time it happens its supposed to be a life lesson.
    The second time its the person not paying attention.

Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 

On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

Current Ignore List: postlarval, cameltosis, VengeSunsoar