United Forces to Lay the Groundwork for Big Changes Including Server 'Connections'

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 25,454

imageUnited Forces to Lay the Groundwork for Big Changes Including Server 'Connections' - Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: The Old Republic News - The Star Wars: The Old Republic site has been updated with a long post laying out the development roadmap for the balance of 2017. Included is the first information about big changes coming to multiplayer starting with the deployment of the United Forces Campaign in November. Some components of United Forces, mostly of the quality of life ilk, will be coming in October including an extended maintenance period on October 24th and the full campaign coming on November 8th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Currently reading: The Unwomanly Face of War  ~Svetlana Alexievich (recommended)
                             The Inheritance Trilogy
~NK Jemisin

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff Writer LondonMember UncommonPosts: 180
    This may cause the end of the RP communities there, as the dedicated RP servers will be no more.
    GorwedaltaniousGismoland
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,443
    I'm on Begeren Colony. I wonder how the new NA servers will be differentiated - west/east or pve/pvp. Guess I'll find out in a month.
    LucienReneMrMelGibson
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Caledonia, WIMember UncommonPosts: 50
    I'm actually excited about this. I feel like SWtOR has been way too much about story. I love a good story but an mmorpg still needs to be an mmorpg.
    pantaroknightauditGdemamiKyleranAlomardaltaniousPhryMrMelGibson

• PpiperPpiper Member UncommonPosts: 790
    Big changes like making this game fun to play?
    esc-joconnorLimnicLucienReneCalavryAlomardaltanious
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Huntsville, ALMember UncommonPosts: 364
    (New Companion Customization Vendor available in the Fleet Bazaar. The vendors will sell older Companion Customizations for “opposite-faction” Companions. Ex: A Republic player could now get an older Vette customization.)

Is there something I am missing like why would a Republic character need a Vette customization?
    Phrychewienl
  • SoulsemmerSoulsemmer Wichita, KSMember UncommonPosts: 28

(New Companion Customization Vendor available in the Fleet Bazaar. The vendors will sell older Companion Customizations for “opposite-faction” Companions. Ex: A Republic player could now get an older Vette customization.)

Is there something I am missing like why would a Republic character need a Vette customization?

Vette became available for everyone in KotFE, later on. The companions aren't really class or faction based anymore in the newer stuff. They are just given in the story and such.

MrMelGibson
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor TokyoMember UncommonPosts: 477
    Ppiper said:
    Big changes like making this game fun to play?
    I highly doubt that will happen.
    LucienRenecura
  • GisrieGisrie Silverdale, WAMember UncommonPosts: 91
    I'd still rather get KOTOR 3 instead :/
    LucienRenecuraAlomarMrMelGibson
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Austin, TXMember EpicPosts: 1,982
    The best thing that could happen to this game is that an intern trips over a power cord while holding an electrically combustible substance which then starts an uncontrollable rage-fire in the server room burning the entire damn thing to the ground.

Then they make a new game with a top-notch, AAA game engine as the base for starters.  You know, since EA makes money by dump truck loads, so they don't have to cheap out on a half-assed unfinished game engine with no vendor support.
    LucienReneGorweRoinErithiaCalavrydragonlee66Alomartannim78Avindrinfomatzand 2 others.
  • nomadienomadie Lynnwood, WAMember UncommonPosts: 67
    I would care if everything stopped being behind a damn pay wall. Love the game but I don't care to keep paying monthly just to play my max level characters. >.>
    MrMelGibson
  • OrthelianOrthelian Barrington, RIMember UncommonPosts: 1,005
    From the image, I started thinking "United Forces" was a new Cryptic superhero MMO or something.
    LucienReneErithiadaltanious

Favorites: EVETORVanguard | Playing: None, overtaken by VR | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,066
    So pissed about this. I'm not exactly an active out and about RPer, but I sympathize with them much more than I do with the typical MMO Raider or PvP fratboy.

Not to mention that losing names...oh yeah, losing names! But it's not that prospect that pisses me off. It's the fact that Keith finally showed his true colors: as a corporate gofer. And the overall apathy of Bioware towards its players:

How hard would it be to implement Star Trek Online's naming system? James Kirk@"server name" for example. Not only that, BUT WAIT FOR IT!, they already HAVE such a system in place. The LEGACY SYSTEM. But why'd Keith care about that? Someone else implemented it and he can't put it in his resume and show his bosses how smart he is. So we are where we are!

THANKS KEITH!
  • winghaven1winghaven1 HafnarfjörðurMember RarePosts: 551

Gorwe said:

So pissed about this. I'm not exactly an active out and about RPer, but I sympathize with them much more than I do with the typical MMO Raider or PvP fratboy.

Not to mention that losing names...oh yeah, losing names! But it's not that prospect that pisses me off. It's the fact that Keith finally showed his true colors: as a corporate gofer. And the overall apathy of Bioware towards its players:

How hard would it be to implement Star Trek Online's naming system? James Kirk@"server name" for example. Not only that, BUT WAIT FOR IT!, they already HAVE such a system in place. The LEGACY SYSTEM. But why'd Keith care about that? Someone else implemented it and he can't put it in his resume and show his bosses how smart he is. So we are where we are!

THANKS KEITH!

Man you should make a game. You clearly know so much and you have the ability to bypass a game's limitations with ease. Wow! Hurray for Korwe!
    BakgrindGdemami
  • IncomparableIncomparable KuwaitMember UncommonPosts: 1,035
    edited October 3
    they need a large scale wz, that simulates a siege. That should have been done a long time ago.

And ofc more mini games such as pazaak, and swoop racing.

Something they mentioned could be in the works, and would really add more to the game.

unfortunately we saw from their last expansions how their resources result in a few hours of content in mostly single player and therefore, they would need more funding.

They should make pvp more of an e-sport with people being able to dl only wz maps if they want to and play end game with 8 different classes (including mirrors so 8 ACs). Which might create an incentive to create more classes as well.

Then have a server that is more like a lobby for people that want to only play pvp, or mini games. This would still connect to the main game, but the point is that it brings in a larger crowd, and they would probably dl the rest of the game to play that as well.

Unfortunately, the e-sport community is toxic. But I think it would be a good idea other wise.

Post edited by Incomparable on

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member UncommonPosts: 916
    TL,DR: nobody plays anymore, here's some stuff to keep you from focusing on this last gasp server merge.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingMember RarePosts: 4,032
    Man you should make a game. You clearly know so much and you have the ability to bypass a game's limitations with ease. Wow! Hurray for Korwe!
    Like it or not, he has a point (*partly), and it is not the game's limitation, it's just weak design.
    And not some novum idea either, the advantages (at first almost wrote superiority :wink: ) of Cryptic's @handle system usually come up at every server merge where there's a naming collision.

* only partly, because the Legacy name is not tied to the character's ID, more like just a "special" shared title.
    BakgrindGdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,269

OG_Zorvan said:

TL,DR: nobody plays anymore, here's some stuff to keep you from focusing on this last gasp server merge.

If "nobody" was playing I suspect it would be shutdown, it is an EA game afterall.

Excession

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Gorwe said:

THANKS KEITH!

I don't need to have a PhD in order to understand the game I sunk 1000 hours in. They always needed to rework the naming system. Hell, even WoW did it. The game they've a hard on and try to copy at every possible turn. And it's quite obvious which one to use. After and only after that, you go into server merges. This is how you RETAIN customers. But why'd big ass corps care about any of that? To them, we're only a statistical error within their almighty Excel spreadsheet.
    Gdemami
    Old school naming systems do suck. It's one of my chief complaints about the game. On Bergeren it is nearly impossible to make a character and find a name that isn't completely out there.

I'm a freak that keeps a character name list. I have 114 names on my list that I typically use for characters in games. Pretty much none of them work on Bergeren. If naming doesn't work well on that server how is it going to work after merges?

It's likely a limitation of the engine and how the database backend of that engine is structured. I don't know if it can be reworked but if it can it should be. The sad thing is that new games coming out still use this archaic approach, that really can't get enough negative ridicule to drive the point home on what a half-assed prohibitive approach this is.

Nothing is more frustrating at character creation than spending 25 minutes making a character look how I want, envisioning the persona they will take, and then not finding a name for them that fits. Singular names are one of the worst offenders at shattering the illusion of a virtual world in an mmo. Nothing says contrived and gamey like, "Hey the database requires visual character identifiers to be unique keys."

TOR isn't alone in this. Rift, EQ2, LotRO, Guild Wars 2, Secret World Legends, Elder Scrolls Online, and so many more do this same thing. Don't worry I'm sure the upcoming slew of oldskool reboots (CU, Pantheon, Ashes, etc) will trip over their feet on this one again. Talk about lessons unlearnt. It's ridiculous. /soapbox
    GorweConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonGdemami
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
    Torval said:
    Old school naming systems do suck. It's one of my chief complaints about the game. On Bergeren it is nearly impossible to make a character and find a name that isn't completely out there.

I'm a freak that keeps a character name list. I have 114 names on my list that I typically use for characters in games. Pretty much none of them work on Bergeren. If naming doesn't work well on that server how is it going to work after merges?

It's likely a limitation of the engine and how the database backend of that engine is structured. I don't know if it can be reworked but if it can it should be. The sad thing is that new games coming out still use this archaic approach, that really can't get enough negative ridicule to drive the point home on what a half-assed prohibitive approach this is.

Nothing is more frustrating at character creation than spending 25 minutes making a character look how I want, envisioning the persona they will take, and then not finding a name for them that fits. Singular names are one of the worst offenders at shattering the illusion of a virtual world in an mmo. Nothing says contrived and gamey like, "Hey the database requires visual character identifiers to be unique keys."

TOR isn't alone in this. Rift, EQ2, LotRO, Guild Wars 2, Secret World Legends, Elder Scrolls Online, and so many more do this same thing. Don't worry I'm sure the upcoming slew of oldskool reboots (CU, Pantheon, Ashes, etc) will trip over their feet on this one again. Talk about lessons unlearnt. It's ridiculous. /soapbox
    While I didn't like GW1's forced multiple names, I feel like they were still better approach than this ultra restrictive one word first come-first served nonsense. Especially in year 2017, VERY SOON to be 2018! To be stuck like that in early 2000s isn't exactly healthy.
    The problem with a simple multiple word naming convention is that it's still a single unique name. It's just that spaces are an acceptable character. I do agree though that nearly two decades later we're stuck with an archaic technical kludge and that is holding us back.
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member UncommonPosts: 916

Kyleran said:

OG_Zorvan said:

If "nobody" was playing I suspect it would be shutdown, it is an EA game afterall.

EA likes having that license, they'd keep it afloat out of their own pockets if need be. Tanking a licensed product isn't a good way to keep that license.
    CogohiGdemami

Torval said:

The problem with a simple multiple word naming convention is that it's still a single unique name. It's just that spaces are an acceptable character. I do agree though that nearly two decades later we're stuck with an archaic technical kludge and that is holding us back.

I still think that by faking it, like Star Trek Online is the best way to go about it.
    Torval
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingMember RarePosts: 4,032
    edited October 4
    Gorwe said:
    I still think that by faking it, like Star Trek Online is the best way to go about it.
    Except they don't "faking it" like the Legacy names... that why I said above it goes back to initial design. Cryptic uses the handles since launch, so it pre-dates STO's (and Neverwinter's) start, those two were developed with taking @handle as a given.

It's a great system, my only gripe with it (but I guess it was discussed earlier a few times already :wink: ) that you can't "hide" behind alts in case you want some alone time...
    Post edited by Po_gg on
    GorweMrMelGibson
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor TokyoMember UncommonPosts: 477

Gorwe said:

THANKS KEITH!

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know that there are two ways of doing things, the easiest/cheapest way, and the good way. One of those is chosen by game devs 90% of the time.
    Gdemamipantaro