Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Impressions - TheHiveLeader - Divinity Original Sin 2 Videos - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Wizardry said:
    I could not get past the terrible camera looking down on hollow looking characters with some line drawn around our character,i guess we need to know what player is our character...sigh.
    If this was 1990,i could see some interest but in 2017 it just looks like a cheap game.It looks more like a arpg setting and all the models look small to puny,barely visible overhead looks.

To me this is something that belongs in the archives,an old game perhaps some play time if nothing better out there but luckily we have tons better out there.
    Currently D:OS2 is ranked the best PC game OF ALL TIME on Gamerankings, a small indication of its quality. Not that you know anything about games, you hate everything besides FF11.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ForgrimmNitemareMMO
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    edited October 2017

Admin said:

This game is...awesome and brings me back to why I got addicted to RPGs almost 30 years ago. I am at the verge of escaping the island but my team is too weak and I just don't know where to find the kills/quests to lvl them up. Make no mistake this is a TOUGH game but so rewarding and immersive.

Couple of suggestions, one of the mobs can be teleported across a broken bridge and isolated without aggroing any mobs (the one on top of the tower on the left side). When the void worm spawns it will spawn on your main character. Ideally you want the worm between you and the enemy mobs as they will attack the worm instead. So aggro and retreat and allow the worm to be your tank essentially. Provided you have killed some of the enemy be willing to retreat from combat and try again at full strength against fewer mobs.

Once you win this battle and get aboard the ship you can respec whenever you like.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

DMKano said:

Admin said:

This game is...awesome and brings me back to why I got addicted to RPGs almost 30 years ago. I am at the verge of escaping the island but my team is too weak and I just don't know where to find the kills/quests to lvl them up. Make no mistake this is a TOUGH game but so rewarding and immersive.

Tough you say? Go for all summoner builds - becomes a faceroll.

Divinity games - never ever play melee or non-magic user period.

What is non magic user period? Some kind of klingon?
  • randomnabrandomnab Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited October 2017
    Personally, It's one of the best RPGs I've played in a loong time.

Entertaining, has a lot of depth, captivating story and the list of "pros" goes on. There's really various ways to play the game: being the total bad guy psycho that kills all NPCs, the sneaky thief that robs all NPCs, the purely good guy that always sides with the "good guys" (whoever you decide are the good guys for you in this game, etc.)

It currently keeps me away from online gaming, which is a rare find as per my tastes :) If you guys like the old-school RPG vibe with modern day graphics and mechanics, this one might keep you up late at night.

Also a hint: you may want to pickpocket enemies mid-fight for stuff that they may not drop. And one more: try sacrificing some profit by giving NPC trades items for free to raise the attitude to 100 points for maximum discouts (ofc do that on your hero with most bartering skills). This will end up in more profit than loss in the long run.
    MadFrenchieIselinYashaX
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Fun video as usual. I always wondered how much time you have for games to just play, without the videos and the channel... especially when you have to squeeze in crappy ones like One Piece or that pony game :smiley:

The My first hour series was easier to manage, I guess. Maybe you could resurrect it for smaller games?
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I tried. I just cant get into this game. I played for about 10 hours. I was forcing myself to play it. I kept reading good reviews and thought well i have to like it since most people seem to. But nope. Its definitely not for everyone. I do not like turn based games and the camera views are annoying. I find this game rather boring. Oh well.
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    One of the best crpg's ever. Unfortunately for the type of player I am I sunk in a ton of time with my first party only to run into a competing quest issue with my party and Roost. Sebille and Ifan needed to talk to him to continue their respective quests, so after so many hours with them...i rerolled.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2017
    Elidien said:

Nyctelios said:

Ikeda said:

Here's the thing, I owned but never played #1. Should I go through 1 before slogging through 2? Or just skip to 2?

You don't miss much by skipping the first one. They do a pretty good job explaining what happened in the past events (world building is very good).

Also, if you enjoy it, you can always go back and play the first one after the second.

Nyctelios is spot on.  I would play the first if they applied some of the changes from the second to the first.

I couldn't get into the first, but am thoroughly enjoying the second.

What changes would you want them to apply?
    Specifically the combat-related changes.  I've mentioned elsewhere that the CC status effects were far too prevalent in the first entry.  The armor system has alleviated that for me in the sequel.

Additionally, the second seemingly has a much more serious tone throughout.  It's also more focused on one main, player-created character, though the companion characters are considered your equals and (in a way) competitors.

The last portion would be really hard to implement into the first without significantly changing the narrative I feel.  Though, if you treated only the second Source Hunter as the equal and the other party members as simply supporting roles, it would work much the same way as the narrative in the 2nd does.
    [Deleted User]

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    That's kind of disappointing that melee isn't viable. I usually prefer playing melee type characters.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Most seem to miss the point,not surprised.
    Nobody is saying this is not a good game back in 1990's-2000's or Baldur's Gate era,heck i played all those games and loved them.This is NOT 1990/2000,i am not buying some aged old platform and aged looking game in 2017.
    Bottom line is the developer can do MUCH better,people should quit supporting half assed efforts.
    As for story,this always baffles me,how can you get immersed in a story when it is delivered with cheap low end graphics?the zones don't look like world's,they simply look like 20x20 grid module maps,stuff that was outdated 15+ years ago.
    I own all the Baldur's gate games,i own plenty more including Bethesda's games,geesh i likely bought 50 similar games,i am not looking for anymore old school games,i looking for something that looks like it was made today.
    It sure seems like people on forums want you to say what THEY want you to say,only THEIR opinions seem to count.I am not going to say a crap looking game is good just because someone wants to hear that.Even if this game had a good story it is delivered in such a cheap fashion that i can't take the game seriously,the tech is out there to do a better job,they aimed for low risk low budget,i am not supporting that.
    Iselin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Forgrimm said:
    That's kind of disappointing that melee isn't viable. I usually prefer playing melee type characters.
    That's overstated above. There are a lot of good melee skills. 

My dual-wielding rogue is my deadliest character. Just give him the Opportunist talent and he demolishes anyone trying to get away.

The  combat is actually very polished. It's very playable in a huge variety of ways.

YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127

Wizardry said:

Nobody is saying this is not a good game back in 1990's-2000's or Baldur's Gate era,heck i played all those games and loved them.This is NOT 1990/2000,i am not buying some aged old platform and aged looking game in 2017.

Bottom line is the developer can do MUCH better,people should quit supporting half assed efforts.

As for story,this always baffles me,how can you get immersed in a story when it is delivered with cheap low end graphics?the zones don't look like world's,they simply look like 20x20 grid module maps,stuff that was outdated 15+ years ago.

I own all the Baldur's gate games,i own plenty more including Bethesda's games,geesh i likely bought 50 similar games,i am not looking for anymore old school games,i looking for something that looks like it was made today.

It sure seems like people on forums want you to say what THEY want you to say,only THEIR opinions seem to count.I am not going to say a crap looking game is good just because someone wants to hear that.Even if this game had a good story it is delivered in such a cheap fashion that i can't take the game seriously,the tech is out there to do a better job,they aimed for low risk low budget,i am not supporting that.

Don't worry nobody takes you seriously either. It's clearly about time you just archive yourself into the column of video games have passed you by.

Why do people like you jump on every new game that comes our just to cry about a video game you have no intention of playing I mean how pathetic can one be?
    Roin
  • congtran17congtran17 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    why people complain about physical, i play solo as warrior/rogue, just keep the glove that allow you to teleport someone it will helps you a lot early on, even after the fortjoy(tutorial)
  • Nightshade98Nightshade98 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Can't wait to sink my teeth into this when I get out of this damn rehab, is it really hard for FPS on laptops?
    edited October 2017
    Iselin said:
    Forgrimm said:
    That's overstated above. There are a lot of good melee skills. 

My dual-wielding rogue is my deadliest character. Just give him the Opportunist talent and he demolishes anyone trying to get away.

The  combat is actually very polished. It's very playable in a huge variety of ways.

Precisely.  Dual Wielding is deadly.  Add in Chloroform to sleep any mob your casters have softened up for a little control, add on Adrenaline and The Pawn (free AP worth of movement at start of every turn), and they become almost inescapable tools of death and chaos.

It is a game where you can't just simply tank and spank mobs, despite having a taunt ability in Warfare.  You have to focus your party members on the enemies who are naturally unprepared to deal with them (focusing casters with your control and phys members, creating detrimental status fields and DPSing the tank characters from range with your caster characters).

I would also recommend having at least one party member with Loremaster.  It allows you to "Examine" enemies, giving you insight into not only their talents, but also all of their resistances.  I currently have a Hydrosophist/Aero caster and a Geo/Pyro caster.  Between those 4 elements, I can almost always find a weakness I can exploit in an enemy's resistances using Loremaster.
    Octagon7711

Can't wait to sink my teeth into this when I get out of this damn rehab, is it really hard for FPS on laptops?
    Being an isometric, it's definitely nowhere near as taxing on a system as an MMORPG or shooter.
    rachaeletc

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Wizardry said:
    Again I'll ask, have you even played it?  Or are you just basing your LoLopions on what you've seen in videos? 
    rachaeletc

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    edited October 2017
    Ginaz said:
    Wizardry said:
    Again I'll ask, have you even played it?  Or are you just basing your LoLopions on what you've seen in videos? 

running it in 3620x1527 and it looks awesome, not sure what Wizardry is looking at, but it isn't DOS2.
    rachaeletc

• BlotieBlotie Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Love the videos... You kind of glossed over the game is turn based combat. Kind of a big deal.
    Octagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The positives are a good story and fun old school adventuring.  Don't like the Diablo style camera angles and the turn base game play but its not a show stopper.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey