Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics

Comments

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    @Kyleran

Brad wants to implement tools that help the players form groups keep groups together and find other players with the same interests, OMG facilitating a way to improve grouping in a group focused MMO what a shock, come on mate we've known there was going to be a non automated LFG tool for a long time..... . I don't see how that deviates from what the core gameplay and design philosophy of the game, the only "controversial" thing brad proposes is the caravan system which will be tested in alpha and beta and removed if the majority of the players don't like it or if it doesn't work out.
    Zuljan
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    How did a graphics thread get turned into a grouping thread?  You kids have your own thread to post in.  Get off my lawn!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Dullahan said:
    Kyleran said:
    drivendawn said:no

Yeah, I think a mistake that people make on here is believing that basically only old EQ players are interested in playing. I think people will find there is a higher number of people wanting to play from vanguard and ffxi then they think. Also delete5230 may have a point about the old being like the new to many out there.
    I think a bigger mistake might be in assuming Pantheon will actually end up that much like EQ.
    Maybe you missed the streams, but it's currently very similar conceptually. Don't know what you saw that made you think they were going to change. Completely open world/no instancing, no fast travel, high risk vs high reward, highly cooperative/limited soloing. The only known systems which may run contrary to that philosophy would be caravans and mentoring.

While I'd like to think there would be none of the convenience features of that sort (because it never truly improves the game or player retention), it will probably exist in some forms to some degree. Still, from what they've said, it will be minimal.
    From Brads last few blogs,  he seems to be considering some changes which he admits may anger some and appear to.go against the stated core philosophy. 

He asks for their patience while they work through everything.

I'm not up on any blogs, it's too early in development for me to go deep.  However I consider him a genius when it comes to creating mmos.  So if he is making changes I believe in him and his ability to make mmos. But I guess I could understand the feelings on the original player base wanting exact nostalgia.  

To this day he is unmatched on character development.  This is where he seems to focus everything in all his games.  This to me is the key to the universe.

I'm 100% for group content...100% ... But in reality the game better have a good percentage of solo content.

Ten percent, twenty percent, it's hard to put a number on it.  But this is a must for this game to survive.  To me this is just a cold hard fact.  It's human nature for people to run off and do their own thing now and then.

I'm completely confident Brad will make us a great mmo, I'm only concerned with the coding and will it play !
    Check this one out, I think it hints strongly of changes to come.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/183/matchmaking-systems-what-we-re-up-to-and-why-part-1

Well brad and company have been saying for a while that this game isn't EQ it's Pantheon so not to expect a carbon copy. That being said many of the core mechanics from EQ will be there. Such as xp camps, the quadrinity, open world contested NM's, gear being more meaningful for longer periods of time and many others as well. Mix this with some of their own ideas plus some got from other old school games and a dash of convenience.
    I agree, and that "dash" of convenience may alarm some folks, Brads words,  not mine.

"Probably the biggest challenge, and certainly what will be the most controversial:  how we can have a hard core challenging game, sans handholding after the first few levels, an open world and sandbox over a theme park golden path style while at the same time providing many ways to both *find* a group, *keep* the group together (that session, and then beyond that, days later), and helping that group re-form... helping the group keep going if a key group member has to log out.   On the surface and perhaps even at times when digging deeper I do know some in our community will find our efforts at odds with our commitments and the style of game we are all creating.  So be it though.  It is what it is.  We will stick together and work through it. 

I fully expect some passionate discussions.  I'm sure we will see the Alarmist Disposition creep into RL."

jpedrote52[Deleted User]dcutbi001

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    edited November 2017
    Albeit poorly worded, this article is blatantly objective in conveying the desire for younger generation/new players to feel welcome in Pantheon without sacrificing the EQ foundations/challenge by means of optional, low level hand holding/matchmaking systems which have been discussed - without issues - for years. He found it prudent to finally publicly address this because of the recent wave of casual backing coupled with pre-alpha around the corner.

Rest assured, this article is in absolutely no way explicative of challenging, core EQ foundations/gameplay (which is the entirety of their product branding) nor the destruction of other major systems that have already been introduced (I've seen both of these interpretations expressed). They realize this game can be a lot more than niche, and they are recognizing the introductory phases of these systems while encouraging us to keep calm and faithful during its infancy. All good news here, "I swearrrrz it!!" :p
    Post edited by Zuljan on
    [Deleted User]Gnog
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    They're not going to make something wholly unlike classic mmorpgs like EQ. The key principles that make this game a spiritual successor to those earlier games will still be in place.

But, at the same time, it's going to be something new and fresh, not merely an emulator. 

The only people I expect will be upset are the ones that think if EQ1 had Pixies in the noobie yard, then this game must also have Pixies or it's just a dumbed down, EZ mode, hand holding game for entitled people. Personally, I think trying to keep people with that mentality happy is impossible, but you can try your best I guess.

I'm just glad the team is still excited, upbeat and willing to experiment. 
    dcutbi001

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited November 2017
    EQ1 was shit.. Asherons Call 1 was totally superior in every way from graphics to world size, to zoneless world, to originality ... yet more people played crappy EQ.

Asherons Call was my first MMORPG back in 2000. I played it for about 3 years then I tried EQ1 and couldn't believe what a POS it was compared to AC1

Dullahan[Deleted User]JustsomenoobGyva02dcutbi001
    Gnog said:
    I continue to shake my head at the salt on this forum.  The notion that Pantheon cannot get 25,000 active subscribers is silly.  Around 15,000 people have registered accounts on the development forum, 12-18 months away from launch, when almost no promotional efforts have been made.  
    that's not a lot... it should have like 50,000+ registered people already
    svannGyva02dcutbi001
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Scolioz said:
    Gnog said:
    I continue to shake my head at the salt on this forum.  The notion that Pantheon cannot get 25,000 active subscribers is silly.  Around 15,000 people have registered accounts on the development forum, 12-18 months away from launch, when almost no promotional efforts have been made.  

It is the only mmorpg that I am waiting for and I have not registered...I don't care to be in pre-alpha, alpha and such, since it is so far out.  I imagine many people are the same way.  I check forums here every 2-4 weeks for anything new.  
    Zuljandcutbi001
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Scolioz said:
    EQ1 was shit.. Asherons Call 1 was totally superior in every way from graphics to world size, to zoneless world, to originality ... yet more people played crappy EQ.

Asherons Call was my first MMORPG back in 2000. I played it for about 3 years then I tried EQ1 and couldn't believe what a POS it was compared to AC1

I thought AC1 was shit compared to UO and EQ, I think I played for 20-30 minutes and thought it was garbage....Not everyone likes the same thing.
    svanncheyanedcutbi001
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Scolioz said:
    Gnog said:
    Any forum where you have to pledge to post is going to have less people.
    [Deleted User]Zuljandcutbi001

Dullahan said:
    Scolioz said:
    Gnog said:
    And is basically an echo chamber. 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited November 2017
    Scolioz said:

I loved AC as well but why bring that poorly worded opinion here and what relevance does it have to the topic or anything anyone else has said?
    Just too try and get people upset but the way it was written it just made me shake my head. Totally silly but some folk enjoy trying to stir stuff up. If absolutely no one had responded it would have been more effective but yeah this works too.

I also refuse to use lols or wtfs since it awards them points. I refuse to reward these types of posts in any way.
    Zuljandcutbi001
    Chamber of Chains
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    cheyane said:
    Scolioz said:

I loved AC as well but why bring that poorly worded opinion here and what relevance does it have to the topic or anything anyone else has said?
    Just too try and get people upset but the way it was written it just made me shake my head. Totally silly but some folk enjoy trying to stir stuff up. If absolutely no one had responded it would have been more effective but yeah this works too.

I also refuse to use lols or wtfs since it awards them points. I refuse to reward these types of posts in any way.

I understand Cheyane,

When I make post such as this, I often think why do people get so mad ?...... It's more about development than the players.  Then because people get mad I have to fight and argue with everyone. 

My only gripe with the people is, they think mmos evolved because of players wants.  I'm totally headstrong this is not the case, it's marketing trickery !..... I'm 100% convinced of this. 

As far as this post:
    Looking at the topic objectively, I could admit its blunt and even rude !

HOWEVER, It's a valid concern....... Putting aside the beauty I tend to look at it mechanically and I see many underlying problems.  Real problems that almost everyone would see if they re-watch the latest video and look at it technically. 

As for me:
    I'm trying to be nicer and back off on my crusade to fix the market..... I'm still mad as hell at development, but at a cost to the wonderful people here on this site.  But in this case, for this topic, I have to stand my ground...... I'm still concerned about the coding.

I'll work on me :)
    Gdemami
    Kyleran said:
    Dullahan said:
    Scolioz said:
    Gnog said:
    And is basically an echo chamber. 
    I would point out that you don't even need to pay to see that opinions on just about any topic vary wildly on the official forums. There's no reason to live in ignorance.
    svannKylerandcutbi001

• ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    cheyane said:
    Scolioz said:

With you there. Best to ignore the repeatedly negative/confrontational people.
    edited November 2017
    MMORPG's these days don't hold my attention anymore... the last MMORPG that held my attention for about 6 months was original WOW...  before that.. Asheron's Call 1 for about 3 years. I'm probably just burnt out on MMORPG's.. or maybe they're just stale regurgitated shit...

edited November 2017
    Xthos said:
    Scolioz said:

I thought AC1 was shit compared to UO and EQ, I think I played for 20-30 minutes and thought it was garbage....Not everyone likes the same thing.

Because you played it for 20 - 30 minutes... you missed out big time.

- better graphics
    - zoneless world
    - largest world size at the time
    - extremely fast speed / movement
    - best PVP combat of any MMORPG at the time
    - skill based levelling system
    - unique spell system

Only reason EQ1 was more popular was because it launched first and Microsoft didn't give a damn about promoting Asherons Call. Even so in its golden years it had 2,000+ players on all servers at peak times.

The fact that Turbine doesn't release the source code so people can host their own world is just sad.

Gdemami
    Scolioz said:
    Xthos said:
    Scolioz said:

- better graphics
    - zoneless world
    - unique spell system

Only reason EQ1 was more popular was because it launched first and Microsoft didn't give a damn about promoting Asherons Call. Even so in its golden years it had 2,000+ players on all servers at peak times.

The fact that Turbine doesn't release the source code so people can host their own world is just sad.
    You're kidding yourself, friend. People chose EQ because it had infinitely more depth, and better gameplay. My circle of friends actually tested AC before EQ launched, and we still chose EQ. Even the PvP was more fun, which is why there have been EQ pvp emus for the last 15 years constantly populated, while AC was left as just a memory.
    svann

edited November 2017
    I never kid
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
    Dullahan said:
    Scolioz said:
    Xthos said:
    Scolioz said:

- better graphics
    - zoneless world
    - unique spell system

You're kidding yourself, friend. People chose EQ because it had infinitely more depth, and better gameplay. My circle of friends actually tested AC before EQ launched, and we still chose EQ. Even the PvP was more fun, which is why there have been EQ pvp emus for the last 15 years constantly populated, while AC was left as just a memory.
    EQ1 PVP EMU servers?  Literally the first time I've ever seen them mentioned.

edited November 2017
    Kyleran said:

EQ1 PVP EMU servers?  Literally the first time I've ever seen them mentioned.
    They've been around for a really long time. Since about the time EQ started to decline and live pvp started sucking. A new iteration comes out on a regular basis. Even project 1999 had a pvp server that had about 300+ consistently around launch and expansions.

Point being, if people were that passionate about AC and it was so marvelous and better than EQ, they'd find a way to continue playing it. EQ has had them since about 3 years after launch...

edited November 2017

No he is not kidding himself, How does EQ have infinitely more depth to its game play than AC? I know the guy before was being rude but you have nothing backing your claim besides your friends say so. Did you play AC?
    Yeah just me and my friends and around half a million other people who chose EQ over AC. The real question is did you even play EQ? Serious question.

It doesn't mean AC was a bad game, but it speaks for itself. Just the people playing on the EQ pvp servers would have been more than all their pvp players and a few of their PvE server playerbases combined. And this wasn't a WoW scenario where another established publisher came along years later with updated graphics, EQ and AC were contemporary. AC even had advantages in some of the features pointed out like a non-zoned world and better graphics, but those things were not enough to pull people away.

Dullahan said:

No he is not kidding himself, How does EQ have infinitely more depth to its game play than AC? I know the guy before was being rude but you have nothing backing your claim besides your friends say so. Did you play AC?
    Yeah just me and my friends and around half a million other people who chose EQ over AC. The real question is did you even play EQ? Serious question.

It doesn't mean AC was a bad game, but it speaks for itself. Just the people playing on the EQ pvp servers would have been more than all their pvp players and a few of their PvE server playerbases combined. And this wasn't a WoW scenario where another established publisher came along years later with updated graphics, EQ and AC were contemporary. AC even had advantages in some of the features pointed out like a non-zoned world and better graphics, but those things were not enough to pull people away.
    So, people thought more popular equals better, even back in 1998 eh?

I thought that was just a WOW thing. 

;)
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin

Kyleran said:
    Dullahan said:

;)
    Since always. More people thought it was better, but that doesn't make it any less subjective. Regarding better gameplay, yeah I'd say the game with weaker graphics, a clunkier engine and a zoned world that still had 5x the players probably succeeded in achieving better gameplay. Or sorry, gameplay that "appealed to more people" for the sensitive who cannot tolerate such definitive adjectives like 'better'.
    svannGdemami

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Kyleran said:
    Dullahan said:

;)

Indeed, numbers don't equal better. There was depth in both games in different ways. I am glad he didn't say it was a sucky game at least. I did play EQ for a while and liked XI better.
    This is a very genuine point.  Back in the EQ era, EQ was basically what WoW became later.

Most people who played EQ never even tried most of the other MMOs.  EQ required so much invested time that the majority of its user-base hardly glanced at other games.
    Many of the other MMOs that launched in the soon-after era were completely overlooked.  To further complicate things, let's not forget just how niche MMOs were back then, either.  It wasn't like you were constantly hearing about those other games when they popped up.

Many of those MMOs that followed in EQ's wake, such as Asheron's Call, etc., were victims of the time rather than of inferior gameplay.

Gdemami[Deleted User]