Graphics

2»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 12,987
    edited October 6
    svann said:
    Sometimes when a game runs poorly its not because its designed for too good of a machine, its just because it was designed poorly and no matter how good a machine you get its going to run poorly.

As an example, you try running through Warsliks Woods in EQ1.  Even 17 years later its a lag fest. 

I run though Warsliks Woods with a toaster. Giant Fort is still one of my favorite low-level camps.
    Did you manage to find a place to plug it in? The toaster i mean and what are you toasting....umm Don Rickles...pop tarts? 

This is what i expect Pantheon to be...6/10 possibly a 7/10
    By mmorpg scoring standards that is a 9.9/10 or better,by Gamespace standards that is a 11/10.

Graphics should be the least of anyone's worries,you should expect pretty much Vanguard type graphics,it is the game play and possibly some unique ideas we hope to see as being good enough to keep us interested long term.

I would also say that since we saw the exact same results with every rendition of EQ>VG that we should also expect to see some lag.

Post edited by Wizardry on
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GriffbaneGriffbane Member CommonPosts: 5
    LOL the lag in Warsilk woods was so bad, the train you pulled wouldn't catch up to you until the next time you zoned in!
    Kyleran
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Wizardry said:
    svann said:
    Sometimes when a game runs poorly its not because its designed for too good of a machine, its just because it was designed poorly and no matter how good a machine you get its going to run poorly.

As an example, you try running through Warsliks Woods in EQ1.  Even 17 years later its a lag fest. 

I run though Warsliks Woods with a toaster. Giant Fort is still one of my favorite low-level camps.
    Did you manage to find a place to plug it in? The toaster i mean and what are you toasting....umm Don Rickles...pop tarts? 

By mmorpg scoring standards that is a 9.9/10 or better,by Gamespace standards that is a 11/10.

Graphics should be the least of anyone's worries,you should expect pretty much Vanguard type graphics,it is the game play and possibly some unique ideas we hope to see as being good enough to keep us interested long term.

I would also say that since we saw the exact same results with every rendition of EQ>VG that we should also expect to see some lag.

Currently, there is virtually nothing unique about this game.  It's a legit EQ clone.  This is a problem.

I know they say they're fine with being a niche, but this formula is old - and getting older - and most players are simply not attracted to this style of game.

The Players most attracted to it are getting older and many of them simply do not have the kind of time to dedicate to a game that something like Vanilla EQ required...  I think people "excited" about this are forgetting that EQ actually got kind of "easy" a long time ago (around PoP timeframe) - if we're talking about "grind" and time investment to feel like you're making progress in the game.

Even many EQ players are likely to balk at this game, for that reason.

Yes, it's going to be like Early EQ...  But EQ hasn't been like Early EQ for about a dozen years...

Many of the people who wanted that, quit when that game changed and likely aren't looking to go back to that - at this point in time.
    Rhoklaw
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,345
    If no other games are being made like an old game, by definition it's unique.

That people won't play it is just your unsubstantiated opinion. Based on what we've seen, people are not likely to keep buying into and remaining faithful to the current type of mmo, while EQ was very popular, especially for it's time, and had a rabidly faithful fanbase that still keeps it afloat to this day.
    Gdemami

• RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXMember EpicPosts: 5,168
    Darksworm said:
    Wizardry said:
    svann said:

Currently, there is virtually nothing unique about this game.  It's a legit EQ clone.  This is a problem.

I know they say they're fine with being a niche, but this formula is old - and getting older - and most players are simply not attracted to this style of game.

The Players most attracted to it are getting older and many of them simply do not have the kind of time to dedicate to a game that something like Vanilla EQ required...  I think people "excited" about this are forgetting that EQ actually got kind of "easy" a long time ago (around PoP timeframe) - if we're talking about "grind" and time investment to feel like you're making progress in the game.

Even many EQ players are likely to balk at this game, for that reason.

Yes, it's going to be like Early EQ...  But EQ hasn't been like Early EQ for about a dozen years...

Many of the people who wanted that, quit when that game changed and likely aren't looking to go back to that - at this point in time.
    You yourself just said EQ hasn't been EQ for 12 years. Doesn't kind of make sense that Brad would like to bring back the old school EQ format to the genre? This genre has been slowly dying ever since WoW became the standard. Than it took an even deeper decent into oblivion with all the P2W Asian grinders.
    Gdemami

• delete5230delete5230 Member RarePosts: 4,110
    Were in the Castle with a group of six.  Were doing ok and were at the entrance way door of the last boss.  Only two players tackled this dungeon before, we're relying on their knowledge to lead us. Me being the healer Jack tells me to hang a left and stand behind the table when we open the door.  Jack being the tank opens the door and goes right for the boss and we all follow into the room.  I see the table on the left and go for it, but the table is obscure and twice the size it should be...... somehow I get stuck, I hit the A on my keyboard to spin around, now I'm getting a vision of the adjacent room to the left and can't move....... While this is going on Jack dies and Joe our caster is pined against the back wall running in place, and next to die....

But hay, the graphics are nice !!!  

Remember this !