Any other MMOs like Path of Exile?

13»

Comments

  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHMember RarePosts: 3,670
    cesmode8 said:
    Troll thread in disguise!
    Just because you don't like a thread, doesn't make it a troll thread. This is about games similar to PoE that are MMOs and worth playing or at least trying out. And so far really enjoying Devilian
    Nah, your phrasing throughout the OP and responses previous to my post make it clear you were asserting PoE was an MMORPG, and considering your recent thread history, it was to incense some folks.  We're not stupid.  Only once I called you out did you attempt to say "games similar to PoE that are MMO".
    Massively and MMORPG.com call it an MMO. Are you saying they are "trolling" all their viewers then?

    Or are you coming to my thread to harass me? Why aren't you complaining about what MMORPG.com and massively calling it (and many other games like Destiny) an MMO?

    Oh you just don't like me...got it. 

    This site considers literally any online game an MMO. 

    POE is not an MMO.  It is an ARPG.

    MMO and ARPG aren't mutually exclusive - they'd be called MMO ARPGs :)

    But none of the current crop of ARPGs quite fit the criteria for me.
    Kyleran
  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Member UncommonPosts: 3,113
    edited October 1
    Are there any other MMOs like Path of Exile?

    I know there is sorta Diablo 3, but that is more a singleplayer experience. Torchlight, but that is singleplayer as well. And Titan Quest, but that is definitely singleplayer.

    Any actual MMOs though that are like PoE? Or is PoE pretty much the best there is? Is PoE pretty much the pinnacle of the top down loot based in its genre? I guess Ultima Online could sorta count, but its really different.
    Sorry, to tell you, but PoE is not an MMO. However, if you're looking for Online only Action RPG/Hack and Slash then Diablo 3 and Marvel Heroes are the two major games that are online only like PoE.

    In my opinion, PoE is the pinnacle Action RPG/Hack and Slash game at the moment.
    Post edited by Mtibbs1989 on
    GdemamiKyleranNycteliosdrivendawnjpedrote52

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • darren28darren28 Boise, IDMember UncommonPosts: 23
    No ARPG is an MMORPG hence why it is called ARPG.
    FrodoFragins
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAMember UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Guardians of Ember, I am enjoying it still 2 weeks in
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 9,927
    Lol. Looks like TheScavanger has found his purpose in life: he wants to be mini-Narius.
    KyleranNycteliosRich84Phry
    When you come to a fork on the road, take it.
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.

    -- Yogi --
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,274
    Iselin said:
    Lol. Looks like TheScavanger has found his purpose in life: he wants to be mini-Narius.
    Some people just like to see forums burn.

    ;)
    SedrynTyrosRich84

    On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon


  • DelphosDelphos SMember UncommonPosts: 43
    Path of Exile isn't mmo, you can complain all you want, it wont change the fact PoE its no mmo.
    GdemamiPhry
  • GruntyGrunty TexasMember RarePosts: 8,136
    edited October 1
    I don't care what you call it or what other sites say. MMORPG.com lists it as an MMO.

    Massively also calls it an MMO

    http://massivelyop.com/tag/path-of-exile/

    Official Site: Path of Exile
    Studio: Grinding Gear Games
    Launch Date: October 23, 2013
    Genre: Gothic Fantasy MMOARPG

    So you can call it whatever you want, I'm going to keep calling Path of Exile an MMO as said by both two major MMORPG sites, Massively and MMORPG. 
    I see you've been taking lessons in Elementary Hair Splitting 101 from SeanMCad.
    Post edited by Grunty on
    She was grimacing. "That does sound like what America's has been trying to do for the last century or two--get rich faster than the parasites could steal it."   The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson
  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHMember RarePosts: 5,898
    Grunty said:
    I don't care what you call it or what other sites say. MMORPG.com lists it as an MMO.

    Massively also calls it an MMO

    http://massivelyop.com/tag/path-of-exile/

    Official Site: Path of Exile
    Studio: Grinding Gear Games
    Launch Date: October 23, 2013
    Genre: Gothic Fantasy MMOARPG

    So you can call it whatever you want, I'm going to keep calling Path of Exile an MMO as said by both two major MMORPG sites, Massively and MMORPG. 
    I see you've been taking lessons in Elementary Hair Splitting 101 from SeanMCad.
    The link in official website says "Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. It is designed around a strong online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win"."
    TheScavengerKyleran

    image

  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYMember RarePosts: 2,165
    Robokapp said:
    Grunty said:
    I don't care what you call it or what other sites say. MMORPG.com lists it as an MMO.

    Massively also calls it an MMO

    http://massivelyop.com/tag/path-of-exile/

    Official Site: Path of Exile
    Studio: Grinding Gear Games
    Launch Date: October 23, 2013
    Genre: Gothic Fantasy MMOARPG

    So you can call it whatever you want, I'm going to keep calling Path of Exile an MMO as said by both two major MMORPG sites, Massively and MMORPG. 
    I see you've been taking lessons in Elementary Hair Splitting 101 from SeanMCad.
    The link in official website says "Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. It is designed around a strong online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win"."
    Its good to have different opinions and discussion :) Yesterday was different since some users were actually harassing me in every thread. I still disagree with you and some others, but that is part of having opinions :) That is how civil discussions should be.
    Excession

    My adult gaming and mods website (various games, adult mods, screenshots, stories and other games I play(ed) 

    http://nsfwgaming.wixsite.com/adultgamingandmods

    And my Youtube channel (for nature/relaxation/meditation videos)

    https://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn


  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYMember RarePosts: 2,165
    Robokapp said:
    Grunty said:
    I don't care what you call it or what other sites say. MMORPG.com lists it as an MMO.

    Massively also calls it an MMO

    http://massivelyop.com/tag/path-of-exile/

    Official Site: Path of Exile
    Studio: Grinding Gear Games
    Launch Date: October 23, 2013
    Genre: Gothic Fantasy MMOARPG

    So you can call it whatever you want, I'm going to keep calling Path of Exile an MMO as said by both two major MMORPG sites, Massively and MMORPG. 
    I see you've been taking lessons in Elementary Hair Splitting 101 from SeanMCad.
    The link in official website says "Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. It is designed around a strong online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win"."
    Its good to have different opinions and discussion :) Yesterday was different since some users were actually harassing me in every thread. I still disagree with you and some others, but that is part of having opinions :) That is how civil discussions should be.
    Also, the whole argument of what devs call it kinda breaks down when...

    A developer can make a game with a 6 player sized group (which is what most MMOs end up anyway for dungeon group sizes). And call it an MMO.

    So would the developer be wrong? or because its the developer, would he be right?

    If the developer could be wrong, why can't the developer be wrong about what they call PoE or even Destiny? Ignoring your opinion of what an MMO is or is not, why would one developer not potentially be wrong but the other correct?

    Either both could be wrong, or both could be right. In the end, using what a developer calls an MMO is pointless because a developer can label their MMO anyway they want. The only reason you are using that is because it fits what you perceive an MMO to be. But it works both ways, a developer can equally be wrong too.

    Also, Dungeons and Dragon Online is fully instanced with small tiny hubs (like PoE) and that is widely considered an MMO. Same with Vindictus. Even the developers call DDO and Vindictus MMOs.
    Excession

    My adult gaming and mods website (various games, adult mods, screenshots, stories and other games I play(ed) 

    http://nsfwgaming.wixsite.com/adultgamingandmods

    And my Youtube channel (for nature/relaxation/meditation videos)

    https://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn


  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,274
    Robokapp said:
    Grunty said:
    I don't care what you call it or what other sites say. MMORPG.com lists it as an MMO.

    Massively also calls it an MMO

    http://massivelyop.com/tag/path-of-exile/

    Official Site: Path of Exile
    Studio: Grinding Gear Games
    Launch Date: October 23, 2013
    Genre: Gothic Fantasy MMOARPG

    So you can call it whatever you want, I'm going to keep calling Path of Exile an MMO as said by both two major MMORPG sites, Massively and MMORPG. 
    I see you've been taking lessons in Elementary Hair Splitting 101 from SeanMCad.
    The link in official website says "Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. It is designed around a strong online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win"."
    Its good to have different opinions and discussion :) Yesterday was different since some users were actually harassing me in every thread. I still disagree with you and some others, but that is part of having opinions :) That is how civil discussions should be.
    Also, the whole argument of what devs call it kinda breaks down when...

    A developer can make a game with a 6 player sized group (which is what most MMOs end up anyway for dungeon group sizes). And call it an MMO.

    So would the developer be wrong? or because its the developer, would he be right?

    If the developer could be wrong, why can't the developer be wrong about what they call PoE or even Destiny? Ignoring your opinion of what an MMO is or is not, why would one developer not potentially be wrong but the other correct?

    Either both could be wrong, or both could be right. In the end, using what a developer calls an MMO is pointless because a developer can label their MMO anyway they want. The only reason you are using that is because it fits what you perceive an MMO to be. But it works both ways, a developer can equally be wrong too.

    Also, Dungeons and Dragon Online is fully instanced with small tiny hubs (like PoE) and that is widely considered an MMO. Same with Vindictus. Even the developers call DDO and Vindictus MMOs.
    Devs aren't  wrong, they intentionally mislead.

    Great example with DDO, I bought that at launch expecting  MMO and instead it was more of a CORPG like GW1.

    Probably the fastest game I've ever quit and one of my worst purchases.

    Proper clarification is important...
    GdemamiPhry

    On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon


  • NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,248
    Man, you guys really don't care about what something is called, right?

    " Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

    - Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • SephirosoSephiroso Marietta, GAMember UncommonPosts: 1,377
    Nyctelios said:
    Man, you guys really don't care about what something is called, right?
    When everyone is a super hero, no one is. Words have meaning. It's important they keep their meaning, otherwise how will anyone know what anyone is talking about?

    When someone is looking for an ARPG, it should be easy for them to look up in google "ARPG" and find a list of them to play. But if people got away with needlessly redefining "ARPG" to include FPS shooters that have nothing to do with ARPGs, you can see how that poses a problem for people who just want to find an ARPG to play right?

    Just like how i'm conversing with you. You can understand the words I am typing because the words that I am typing have meaning to them. It's ludicrous to just be silent as a small portion of ill-minded individuals ran rampant trying to redefine terms that do not need it. The genres have worked for many years, they will continue to work for many years, there's no need to try to twist it into something it isn't.
    GdemamiKyleran

    image
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHMember RarePosts: 5,898
    Nyctelios said:
    Man, you guys really don't care about what something is called, right?
    i'll explain.

    those of us having a hard time filtering through... what we don't call an MMO to find what we call an MMO understand a side of this argument that others do not. 

    ultimately as long as we can filter what we want from what we don't, it doesnt matter what the name of the filter is. 

    maybe you can help us. what do we call the traditional MMOs to separate them from the ... so-called MMOs?

    image

  • zohnnyzohnny merced, CAMember UncommonPosts: 44
    @TheScavenger i think what you are looking for is Drakensang Online

    https://www.drakensang.com/en

  • lahnmirlahnmir UtrechtMember RarePosts: 899
    edited October 2
    zohnny said:
    @TheScavenger i think what you are looking for is a new hobby.

    There, fixed it for you.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir

    Post edited by lahnmir on
    PhrySedrynTyros
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 

  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox NottinghamMember UncommonPosts: 858
    imo you ALL need a friggin new hobby instead of posting crap debating about pointless stuff like whether a game is considered an MMO!  Also, since no one's mentioned it, I suggest FATE as its very much like Torchlight except with an endless dungeon, or at least from what I can tell its endless? anyway.. yeah, enough with the crap about what you think is an MMO, nobody cares! At least no one that important anyway.
    ExcessionTheScavenger

    imageimage
    image
    image

  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member UncommonPosts: 207
    edited October 2
    Sephiroso said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Man, you guys really don't care about what something is called, right?
    Words have meaning. It's important they keep their meaning, otherwise how will anyone know what anyone is talking about?

    Yeah, words have meaning.

    That doesn't mean they have static meaning. Their meaning can evolve or broaden over time in living languages.

    The broadening of the MMO term is an example of that. If the switch was just limited to a few players perhaps it could have been quashed by denial.

    It has gone beyond that point.

    MMO has evolved to refer to more than just MMOPRGs. Game companies... websites... even this site... use it in reference to games of other genres.

    So, not only is it important to keep the meaning of words, it is also important to recognize and keep up when those meanings change or extend.
    Post edited by KnightFalz on
    KyleranExcessionIselinConstantineMerus
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,274
    Sephiroso said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Man, you guys really don't care about what something is called, right?
    Words have meaning. It's important they keep their meaning, otherwise how will anyone know what anyone is talking about?

    Yeah, words have meaning.

    That doesn't mean they have static meaning. Their meaning can evolve or broaden over time in living languages.

    The broadening of the MMO term is an example of that. If the switch was just limited to a few players perhaps it could have been quashed by denial.

    It has gone beyond that point.

    MMO has evolved to refer to more than just MMOPRGs. Game companies... websites... even this site... use it in reference to games of other genres.

    So, not only is it important to keep the meaning of words, it is also important to recognize and keep up when those meanings change or extend.
    Most in this conversation clearly know MMO does not equal MMORPG.

    But they do understand it is a modifier meaning "Massively Multiplayer" Online and is being misused when applied to titles such as POE or even DDO as I previously mentioned.

    Doesn't matter to me whether MMORPG or other sites misuse it for marketing purposes, heck MTV rarely shows videos,  doesnt change the fact "music television" is nothing like the reality programming they show even if the characters happen to be playing music in the bsckground.




    PhryExcessionGdemamiConstantineMerus

    On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon


  • PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 8,889
    Kyleran said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Man, you guys really don't care about what something is called, right?
    Words have meaning. It's important they keep their meaning, otherwise how will anyone know what anyone is talking about?

    Yeah, words have meaning.

    That doesn't mean they have static meaning. Their meaning can evolve or broaden over time in living languages.

    The broadening of the MMO term is an example of that. If the switch was just limited to a few players perhaps it could have been quashed by denial.

    It has gone beyond that point.

    MMO has evolved to refer to more than just MMOPRGs. Game companies... websites... even this site... use it in reference to games of other genres.

    So, not only is it important to keep the meaning of words, it is also important to recognize and keep up when those meanings change or extend.
    Most in this conversation clearly know MMO does not equal MMORPG.

    But they do understand it is a modifier meaning "Massively Multiplayer" Online and is being misused when applied to titles such as POE or even DDO as I previously mentioned.

    Doesn't matter to me whether MMORPG or other sites misuse it for marketing purposes, heck MTV rarely shows videos,  doesnt change the fact "music television" is nothing like the reality programming they show even if the characters happen to be playing music in the bsckground.




    Agreed, just because some other website whatever is calling it an MMO means literally nothing, its the equivalent of saying 'i'm right because i have a note from my mother saying so' kind of argument. Those kinds of arguments are easy to counter simply because they are devoid of factual basis, which is probably why it has to be repeated so often in the hope that with enough repetition it becomes fact, of course, it never does.
    KyleranExcessionGdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,274
    edited October 2
    Phry said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Man, you guys really don't care about what something is called, right?
    Words have meaning. It's important they keep their meaning, otherwise how will anyone know what anyone is talking about?

    Yeah, words have meaning.

    That doesn't mean they have static meaning. Their meaning can evolve or broaden over time in living languages.

    The broadening of the MMO term is an example of that. If the switch was just limited to a few players perhaps it could have been quashed by denial.

    It has gone beyond that point.

    MMO has evolved to refer to more than just MMOPRGs. Game companies... websites... even this site... use it in reference to games of other genres.

    So, not only is it important to keep the meaning of words, it is also important to recognize and keep up when those meanings change or extend.
    Most in this conversation clearly know MMO does not equal MMORPG.

    But they do understand it is a modifier meaning "Massively Multiplayer" Online and is being misused when applied to titles such as POE or even DDO as I previously mentioned.

    Doesn't matter to me whether MMORPG or other sites misuse it for marketing purposes, heck MTV rarely shows videos,  doesnt change the fact "music television" is nothing like the reality programming they show even if the characters happen to be playing music in the bsckground.




    Agreed, just because some other website whatever is calling it an MMO means literally nothing, its the equivalent of saying 'i'm right because i have a note from my mother saying so' kind of argument. Those kinds of arguments are easy to counter simply because they are devoid of factual basis, which is probably why it has to be repeated so often in the hope that with enough repetition it becomes fact, of course, it never does.
    I think its more akin to saying,  "i heard it on the internet,  it has to be true."

    Perhaps its time to change the meaning of the acronym MMO, Minimally Multiplayer Online is what I've been advocating for the past few years. Would fit POE perfectly. 

    Or better yet, how about MinMO? Yeah, that's what I'm going with from now on.

    Kyle: trendsetting in the gaming community since 1987. B)
    Post edited by Kyleran on

    On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon


  • zamocnyzamocny Member CommonPosts: 7
    The question is why would you need another game like Path of Exile if it simply is the best at what it is :)
    You can also join some marketplaces to get the missing gear and orbs, unlike many games you can reach end-game content in several days of hardcore gaming https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile/
Sign In or Register to comment.