Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting way to reduce the back and forth arguing that occurs on forums . . . and in real life

2»

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Religion and Politics
    • MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics are forbidden.

Mods ....................remove this thread ..................... thx you

TheScavengerPopple
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Stormsone said:
    Generally standing during the national anthem is a sign of respect for your country correct?
    So not standing and kneeling is a sign of disrespect?

Fallacy. Just a very obvious one. It's like you built it from the ground up as a fallacy learning tool.

However not standing is okay now because showing disrespect for the country is alright as long as its for a good cause?

This is mostly assumption based on a fallacy. Not standing has always been ok and does not necessarily show disrespect for a country. They have stated their purpose for doing so and it wasn't because they hate the country.

Can I flip off my boss as long as its for a good cause?

You can be fired for anything in most of the US. But it is perfectly legal. Flip off at your own risk, but jail time is out of the question. As a supportive argument, weaksauce, really.

The cause I have is more important than showing him respect I think, so he should understand surely.

Doubtful. What boss would put up with that?

Just my opinion but people that kneel during the anthem sure love themselves a whole lot.

Everyone should love themselves.

The NFL and and NFL players and other professional athletes all make a lot of money every year. I find it hard to believe that a bunch of wealthy people cannot find other ways to promote their beliefs, ones that do not require kneeling during the national anthem.

Big fat fallacy of course. People can even argue that they are potentially risking their livelihoods to promote what they believe is justice. They are sticking up for "poor folk" even though they are "rich" athletes.

So kneeling during the anthem  does not equate that they hate their country just that they are arrogant, self centered, self-righteous, and that because they know that they are in the right they feel justified in showing disrespect to anyone and anything as long as its for their cause.

Ad hominem is another obvious fallacy that you use. I think you should ask yourself why a flag and an anthem is so important to you. Certainly no one died for a piece of cloth or a song. What people have died for are ideas. Ironically, ideas are what these people are trying to express and give attention to. Whether or not a person agrees with these ideas should be, in my opinion, the focus of any argument. Idolatry is always a bit lame.

TheScavengerGdemami
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Well they are getting people to talk. And talking about an issue is usually the first step to fixing it.
    BeansnBread
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I stopped reading when you cited CNN as a source of your info.
    I wrote:

"One of my favorite things to do is to go on news websites and look at the comments from people, so i go to CNN, Yahoo, and then Breitbart. "

I look for places with comments, i'd prefer NPR but they don't have a comments section anymore, and I try to read from many different sources, left (CNN), right (Breitbart), yahoo (leftish). 

Your fallacy is Red Herring I believe in that you said I cited CNN as a source of news when it was for a source of comments and ad hominem because of the above you invalidate my whole entire argument. :)

Bam this is fun, but we should apply this to video game arguments though. So moving forward, we can get to the bottom of it. 

This thread is about fallacies, we are just using examples of politics and religion, now where are the good video game examples. 

Cryomatrix
    TheScavenger
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Xodic said:
    People have the right to kneel during the anthem and burn flags in the street.
    And people that don't agree with that have the right to bear arms, have the right to a speedy and public trial, and have the right to a jury of their peers. Just because you have the right to be an ignorant asshole, doesn't mean you should exercise that right.

The whole "kneeling" during the anthem is the weakest form of protesting I have ever witnessed. It ranks up there with chaining yourself to trees and hunger strikes. Kneeling is a sign of weakness, and allowing control. The proper way to protest is to stand up tall and proud. Seeing how that's exactly what you're supposed to do during the anthem... wtf are they really protesting? Standing? What in the hell does police shootings have to do with Old Glory?

Not my opinion but fact. Before 2009 the National Anthem wasn't an issue. Teams were in the locker room during this time. The Defense Department and National Guard paid the NFL to have players stand on the field. Since fact doesn't exist anymore don't bother looking it up.

As much as I love to see isolated white people bring up the anthem and flag, when just the other day they were defending the confederate flag... please keep in mind law enforcement have been executing unarmed people with impunity. Now they're executed mentally disturbed people as well.

I think that's a little more important than some trucker hats idea of patriotism.

This is why we all need to shut the fuck up in regard to politics and focus on video games. I didn't want to have to type this.

That's funny, because in 2006 my unit sent a color guard detail from the 2nd Infantry Division to a Broncos game. Post your source for these 'facts'.

I almost need a translation to understand what point you're trying to make. So isolated white people defended the confederate flag, and now it's wrong to defend the U.S. flag? What is it you're trying to say other than that you're a clueless racist? All white people are serial flag defenders?

What you need to keep in mind is that law enforcement officers are human. Some are good at what they do, some are not. Some pull the trigger too soon, some don't. Some shootings are justified, some aren't. Regardless, how are kneeling-football players going to fix that problem? 

Is the message more important than results?
    The point is you, the way you think, and why I don't want to talk about it, and why this forum should be about video games not having to explain speaking out on systemic racism.

I'll gladly have these conversations in private in my messages because I can say what I want without being banned or being called racist by a clearly oppressed member of society. Didn't mean to try and replace you BTW. =\
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    I stopped reading when you cited CNN as a source of your info.
    I wrote:

"One of my favorite things to do is to go on news websites and look at the comments from people, so i go to CNN, Yahoo, and then Breitbart. "

I look for places with comments, i'd prefer NPR but they don't have a comments section anymore, and I try to read from many different sources, left (CNN), right (Breitbart), yahoo (leftish). 

Your fallacy is Red Herring I believe in that you said I cited CNN as a source of news when it was for a source of comments and ad hominem because of the above you invalidate my whole entire argument. :)

Bam this is fun, but we should apply this to video game arguments though. So moving forward, we can get to the bottom of it. 

This thread is about fallacies, we are just using examples of politics and religion, now where are the good video game examples. 

Cryomatrix
     And your entire post was an excuse to share your political views on a gaming forum.
    ForgrimmCryomatrixTheScavengerk61977Neanderthal
This discussion has been closed.